Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What's the worst thing a husband can do?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Catholics are different . Especially the more liberal ones.
Does being a Catholic guarantee you a place in the New Jerusalem or does the Spiritual rebirth from above and your faith and belief in Christ guarantee you the promise of eternal life with Christ?

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Eph 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

This is the directive of Christ for husband and wives. Do you think that a husband that is
1. Have an affair
2. Refuse to share cooking and cleaning duties
3. Be unemployed
4. Be a verbal bully
5. Spend all their free time on their phone
are acting as the Spiritual head of the family and that the wife should be submissive to this type of husband? I will exclude #2 from this list.

I sense I struck a nerve. Interesting.

As I said, I believe the worst thing a husband can do is relinquish his role as head of the marriage and let his wife assume that role.

Nothing you have said addresses that. But...you are displeased.

Quantrill

That is all it is. Your final authority. Biblical Christians final authority. That doesn't mean it's proven fact.
I don't mind Christians talking about Heaven and Hell as it is their hope and gives meaning to their lives . But to assert that it is unquestioned fact is dogmatic and plain false.
Question for you . If a Christian is not a "Biblical Christian " what kind of Christian are they ? :?

Question for you . If a Christian is not a "Biblical Christian " what kind of Christian are they ? :?
One who believes JC was the Son of God.
Then there is conservative Catholic who respects not only Bible but Church/Papal authority.

As I said, I believe the worst thing a husband can do is relinquish his role as head of the marriage and let his wife assume that role.

Quantrill
I have been happily married for 52 years. As Genesis has Adam clearly say...

Then the Lord God made a woman from the part he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said,

“This one at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
this one will be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and unites with his wife, and they become one family."

That means a partnership, not dominance. There is not, and has never been, a single "head of the family", never mind any kind of dominance.

Quantrill
You could not even try to strike a nerve in me with any of your Dispensationalism theories.

If you would come out of your high mindedness you would see I agree with you that is the worst thing that a husband can do to his family. You only want to read and twist and omit what others say when they do not agree with you. Please take your time to read and understand what another replies with without having an agenda of division.

One who believes JC was the Son of God.
Then there is conservative Catholic who respects not only Bible but Church/Papal authority.
But, you said you did not know if Jesus is the Son of God as you do not think the Bible is truth. Pope has no more authority then what God would give him or anyone.

But, you said you did not know if Jesus is the Son of God. Pope has no more authority then what God would give him or anyone.
I said I believe. Which means I am not sure. I'm not sure because I have never met him. And the Bible is the only book which talks about his resurrection and so on.
Jesus gave keys of the kingdom to Peter? First Pope? On this rock I will build my Church? You would know better than me.

I have been happily married for 52 years. As Genesis has Adam clearly say...

Then the Lord God made a woman from the part he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said,

“This one at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and unites with his wife, and they become one family."

That means a partnership, not dominance. There is not, and has never been, a single "head of the family", never mind any kind of dominance.
But the husband does need to be the Spiritual head within the Spiritual needs of his family in making good Godly decisions.

I said I believe. Which means I am not sure. I'm not sure because I have never met him. And the Bible is the only book which talks about his resurrection and so on.
Jesus gave keys of the kingdom to Peter? First Pope? On this rock I will build my Church? You would know better than me.
Well that's up to you to search the scriptures to find truth.

Not to derail this topic, but just to let you know that Peter was never a Pope.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

It wasn't Peter that the Church was built on, but Christ is the rock as being the foundation or cornerstone that the Church (the body of Christ) is built on and no where in scripture does it name the Catholic Church as the one true Church or Protestant Church as the one true Church, but says in Acts 11:26 that the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch as Christ is the foundation of the true Church not made by hands. Acts 1:1-8; 2:1-4 the apostles were instructed to stay in Jerusalem until they received power from God and then they were filled with the Holy Spirit before they could start their journey of being witnesses of Christ to teach others about the kingdom of God through Christ.

There was no apostle greater than another as they all had the same anointing and taught others from their own individual witness of Christ and His teachings as being faithful servants, even as Christ was while here on Earth.
Luke 22:
24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.
25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.
27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

Matthew 8:14 shows that Peter was married and according to the Catholic belief a Pope can not be married so Peter could have never been the first Pope or ever had a procession of Popes after him. Peter never went to Rome to establish the Catholic Church, but wrote his letters to those who were scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 1Peter 1:1.

Peter wrote his letters from Babylon (Babylon as being referenced in Rev 17 as the Great Harlot) as Peter spent the last years of his life in Rome as Rome at that time was described as a center of adultery. Peter wrote his letters to the Church (body of Christ and not a building made by hands) possibly around 64AD right before the full outbreak of Christian persecution by the hand of Rome's Nero. Paul's letters were also addressed to all who are beloved of God in Rome. Not the Roman Catholic Church, but those who were beloved of God established by that rock which is Christ Jesus and not Peter. The last chapter of the book of Romans Paul sends greetings to 27 members of the church (the body of Christ), but never mentions Peter. According to the tradition of the Catholic Church of Rome, Peter was there from 42 to 67 AD. Paul wrote the book of Romans around 58 AD. Now if Peter was in Rome from 42 to 67 AD that means by 58 AD that Peter should have been there for about 16 years. Not only that but the Catholic Church tradition tells us that he was the first Pope. Why didn't Paul acknowledge Peter in His writings as being the head of the Catholic Church (Pope) since he was addressing those who were beloved of God that lived there. The reason Paul didn’t mention Peter is because Peter wasn’t there. Peter was crucified by Nero prior to Nero's death in 68 AD. Why would Catholic Rome crucify their own Pope.

I believe does not mean I think.

Peter wasn't the first Pope.
Long story and I'm pretty sure you're not interested.

Well that's up to you to search the scriptures to find truth.

Not to derail this topic, but just to let you know that Peter was never a Pope.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

It wasn't Peter that the Church was built on, but Christ is the rock as being the foundation or cornerstone that the Church (the body of Christ) is built on and no where in scripture does it name the Catholic Church as the one true Church or Protestant Church as the one true Church, but says in Acts 11:26 that the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch as Christ is the foundation of the true Church not made by hands. Acts 1:1-8; 2:1-4 the apostles were instructed to stay in Jerusalem until they received power from God and then they were filled with the Holy Spirit before they could start their journey of being witnesses of Christ to teach others about the kingdom of God through Christ.

There was no apostle greater than another as they all had the same anointing and taught others from their own individual witness of Christ and His teachings as being faithful servants, even as Christ was while here on Earth.
Luke 22:
24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.
25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.
27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

Matthew 8:14 shows that Peter was married and according to the Catholic belief a Pope can not be married so Peter could have never been the first Pope or ever had a procession of Popes after him. Peter never went to Rome to establish the Catholic Church, but wrote his letters to those who were scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 1Peter 1:1.

Peter wrote his letters from Babylon (Babylon as being referenced in Rev 17 as the Great Harlot) as Peter spent the last years of his life in Rome as Rome at that time was described as a center of adultery. Peter wrote his letters to the Church (body of Christ and not a building made by hands) possibly around 64AD right before the full outbreak of Christian persecution by the hand of Rome's Nero. Paul's letters were also addressed to all who are beloved of God in Rome. Not the Roman Catholic Church, but those who were beloved of God established by that rock which is Christ Jesus and not Peter. The last chapter of the book of Romans Paul sends greetings to 27 members of the church (the body of Christ), but never mentions Peter. According to the tradition of the Catholic Church of Rome, Peter was there from 42 to 67 AD. Paul wrote the book of Romans around 58 AD. Now if Peter was in Rome from 42 to 67 AD that means by 58 AD that Peter should have been there for about 16 years. Not only that but the Catholic Church tradition tells us that he was the first Pope. Why didn't Paul acknowledge Peter in His writings as being the head of the Catholic Church (Pope) since he was addressing those who were beloved of God that lived there. The reason Paul didn’t mention Peter is because Peter wasn’t there. Peter was crucified by Nero prior to Nero's death in 68 AD. Why would Catholic Rome crucify their own Pope.
The above is not why Peter wasn't the first Pope.
I only say this because it would not hold up in a discussion.

However, you're correct that Peter was not the first Pope. He was the Bishop of Rome.

But the husband does need to be the Spiritual head within the Spiritual needs of his family in making good Godly decisions.
No, he doesn't. The best decisions are made jointly. Genesis 2:18, 22-24 NET 2.1: "The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a companion for him who corresponds to him.”... "Then the Lord God made a woman from the part he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said,

This one at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh
;

Not to "pull rank" but I have been very happily married for 52 years (possibly longer than you've been alive). My wonderful wife has been, is, and always will be my equal partner the entire time. My wife was a Christian before I was, is a "true believer", and has made many, many decisions according to God's will -- for herself, for us, for our children, and for our grandchildren.

Since I am in my late 70s, my clarity of thought is not what it was in the past, so it is more important than ever that our decisions are made jointly. It would be absurd in the past, present, or future for me to claim that I am God's instrument for making the best decisions about our family.

Paul was human. He made mistakes. Apparently he thought Adam and and Eve were real people. Poor fellow.
What are you trying to say? The subject is "what's the worst thing a husband can do?"

Even though it's off-topic Paul was a great apostle, directly chosen by Christ. His writings are considered Scripture.

BTW, poor fellow, why do you think that Adam and Eve were not real people?

Back