Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What's the worst thing a husband can do?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
1. Have an affair
2. Refuse to share cooking and cleaning duties
3. Be unemployed
4. Be a verbal bully
5. Spend all their free time on their phone

What about , have an accident, and wind up in a wheelchair, needing the wife to be full time carer.

You should have asked: What's the worst thing that can happen to a husband?
As it is, I can't answer, except to say its obviously no 1.

If the correct question were asked, it would be to become disabled with a disease, such as one like my SIL, who has heart issues and my daughter must care for him (he has a pace maker AND a heart de-defibrillator in addition to Parkinson, and has to have constant care.

1. Have an affair
2. Refuse to share cooking and cleaning duties
3. Be unemployed
4. Be a verbal bully
5. Spend all their free time on their phone
None of that is what a husband would do (except if #3 would hit by factors outside of their control). This is based on the precept that Adam saw Eve as the completion of himself: "at last! She is bone of my own bone and flesh of my own flesh" and therefore "a man shall go out from his mother and father and be joined to his wife - the two becoming one flesh". (Genesis 2:23-24).

What you list there is the dysfunctional relationship of two separate people who are somehow committed to living and sharing their lives (which by definition of man's law is named as "marriage" - but unless the two have become one, then they aren't one in flesh. One cannot care for the other as "his own flesh and bone", because they aren't united by love).

It's too common in these days because of the ignorance, the lack of knowledge and respect for the way God has made things: People think they can just have sex with anyone that agrees to have sex with them and marry anyone who agrees to marry them, and then they choose to simply walk away to marry someone else when it suits, but they have no interest in understanding what the purpose of marriage is and why it is instituted as "holy matrimony" by God's design. There's no knowledge of the emotional impact of the institution on the spouse and the offspring, and because of that it is not love that dominates in the family, it is the desires of the flesh that intrinsically war against the conflicting desires of each other. That's why scripture says the things it does about marriage: eg: the husband's body belongs to the wife and the wife's body belongs to the husband (1 Corinthians 7:4, Ephesians 5:29).

Be a talkaholic and not listen.
Actually this is pretty bad. But with my elderly years on the horizon, I'm getting worse.

Glad the wives are not being picked on, because I have been pretty bad at number 5. I would say number one, but adding to the list, I'd say the worst thing is not leading their wife in the things of the Lord. Not praying with their wife/studying the Bible/etc. Because the closer you get to God, the closer husband and wife get to each other. And the less these other things become a problem.

I'd say the worst thing is not leading their wife in the things of the Lord.
I'm a loosey goosey Catholic who married an agnostic.
I suspect you mean that Bible is front and centre. And I also suspect that there have been many happy marriages that aren't Bible focussed.
This is where sola scriptura Christians need to admit that a marriage can work without the fear of Hell and damnation.
Sorry I appreciate your response though. Thanks.

I suppose it happens .
It is a privilege to be able to look after someone, especially if it is a person you love. I would thank God that I was able to do it.
I believe you Tessa. You are made of special DNA. I have to question how grateful I would feel if I had to be full time carer for my wife. I think I might be full of self pity.

Back