Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When does God put souls into bodies?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
On this site, https://www.biblegateway.com, I found 16 translations that used "miscarry" or "born dead" for Ex 21:22.
Amplified Bible, CEB, Complete Jewish Bible, CEV, Douay Rheims 1899, Expanded Bible notes that 'miscarry' is possible, Good News Translation, Jubilee Bible 2000, Living Bible, The message, NAB revised, New Life Version, NRSV, RSV and Wycliffe Bible.

Out of 46 translations. That's 35% using miscarry. I'm not alone.
What you forget is that two-thirds of translations DO NOT AGREE with that translation. If we were going by majority vote of Bible translators, your acceptance of 'miscarry' would be dead in the water.

On this site, https://www.biblegateway.com, I found 16 translations that used "miscarry" or "born dead" for Ex 21:22.
Amplified Bible, CEB, Complete Jewish Bible, CEV, Douay Rheims 1899, Expanded Bible notes that 'miscarry' is possible, Good News Translation, Jubilee Bible 2000, Living Bible, The message, NAB revised, New Life Version, NRSV, RSV and Wycliffe Bible.

Out of 46 translations. That's 35% using miscarry. I'm not alone.

Notice anything significant about the majority of the translations that choose miscarry?

Umm, they're old:

James was speaking about WHEN someone dies, not anything about before birth. Your request is irrelevant.

:hysterical

That is funny!!

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

The body. A human body without the spirit with is dead.

The body of a human being inside the mother's womb can not grow and develop if it is dead.

This scripture is clear and can not be refuted by your unscriptural opinion.

JLB

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead

Does this go for anything living with a body? animals and such

The context is about people, who have faith from God.

If animals have a spirit within, then I would think it would also pertain to them as well.

I know there are horse's in heaven.

JLB

:hysterical

That is funny!!

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

The body. A human body without the spirit with is dead.

The body of a human being inside the mother's womb can not grow and develop if it is dead.

This scripture is clear and can not be refuted by your unscriptural opinion.

JLB

God forms us (spirit) in a man, that has to be the point of conception. Adam was a living soul, or Adam was aware of his surroundings. The Soul is just our mental state, emotions, will.

A baby is a spirit, in a flesh body, without the baby (spirit) it's flesh body would be dead.

The soul is something we save, Paul even believed unto the saving of the Soul which can conform to our new spirit which is born again.
The spirit of man goes back to God, then judgement.

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead

Does this go for anything living with a body? animals and such

Nothing in scripture denotes animals having a spirit, or continue on after death. Nothing in scripture says they don't.

This scripture may denote animals in Heaven as where God sits on His throne.

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
(Rev 5:13)

Since the scripture separates those on earth which would include the Earth Realm it might mean actual animals in Heaven, However it also denotes place under the Earth and separated those in the Sea on earth. So it might mean the Heavens such as birds and things that fly.
It would depend on who you ask.

Now if you take accounts of those that claim to have visited Heaven, then there are animals in heaven and that would mean they also are spirit beings.

The context is about people, who have faith from God.

If animals have a spirit within, then I would think it would also pertain to them as well.

I know there are horse's in heaven.

JLB

The Horses for those that did not earn their wings and need a way to get around?

A baby is a spirit, in a flesh body, without the baby (spirit) it's flesh body would be dead.

Brother Mike! :lock

Brother Mike has just MYTH BUSTED, this Theory.

Case Closed!

Brother Mike in the house!!! :eek2

JLB

You are correct.

You are correct.

Luke 1:15 (KJV) ... he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even(the timing) from(Out of) his mother's womb.

In other words, the moment he is out of the womb, at birth.
Here is a scripture using the word 'ek' which tells a place from where something is being done. In sense of out of/from the place.
Luk 5:3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
Does this mean he went out of the ship before he taught them?
Luk 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even [out of] his mother's womb.
The Holy Spirit expressing the timing as 'even' makes the event 'even' more exceptional.
Less you have some other grammatical reason this is an incorrect comparison.....

"of the place forth from which one does something: διδάσκειν ἐκ τοῦ πλοίου, Luke 5:3 (here Tdf. ἐν etc.)"
http://biblehub.com/greek/1537.htm

Although animals and humans share what I call biological life, or physiological life, the life of a human is in the soul or spirit, as James 2:26 indicates. Animal life is found in the blood.

"For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar, to atone for your souls; for it is the blood which makes atonement for the soul" (Lev 17:11 LITV). This verse looked forward to Jesus Christ shedding His physical blood. It is no irony that we have spiritual life in Him because of the shedding of His blood. Christ's physical life, the animated life of His flesh [His body prepared for Him] was in His blood, and it is that blood which was given on the Altar; He being both the Sacrifice and the Altar, both the High Priest and the Offering.

"For it is the life of all flesh; its blood is for its life . . ." (Lev 17:14 LITV); "all" being the flesh of animals, Adam and his descendants, and the flesh of Jesus Christ.

Christ gave His life, the life of His flesh which was in His blood, ". . . and to give His life a ransom for many" (Mat 20:28 LITV). Christ's blood was poured out for our ransom (Mat 26:29). His physical life was in His physical blood, both given and poured out for our ransom. Did Christ give His Soul or Spirit for our redemption? No, He gave His physical life which was in His blood (Rom 3:25, Eph 1:7, 1Jn 1:7, Rev 1:5).

". . . This is My body being given for you . . . This cup is the New Covenant in My blood, which is being poured out for you" (Luk 22:19-20 LITV). Jesus Christ gave His physical flesh and His physical blood on behalf of the Church. His life was in His blood, and His life by way of His blood was offered upon the Altar salvation and eternal life. Perhaps His physical blood was also presented before the Father in Heaven (Heb 9:11-14).

Yes, I am fully convinced that man is trichotomous; body, soul and spirit. But the Bible does use the words 'spirit' and 'soul' interchangeably at times. The concepts overlap.
<my quotes removed>
I agree. Most likely God created the soul and spirit at the same time. btw, the warning of the forbidden tree was "in the day that you eat of it, you will die" is clear. But Adam didn't fall dead on that day. So, what died? I believe it was his human spirit, not his soul. So, when one believes and is regenerated, I believe it is the dead human spirit which is regenerated, or born again.
That is the way I understand it.

Notice anything significant about the majority of the translations that choose miscarry?

Umm, they're old:

In addition, there is the problem of some of these 'miscarry' translations being one-man and not committee Bible translations. I'm thinking particularly of The Living Bible and The Message. When it came to revising the Kenneth Taylor Living Bible, there was a move to a committee translation known as the New Living Translation, what was the translation?
'Now suppose two men are fighting, and in the process they accidentally strike a pregnant woman so she gives birth prematurely.[a] If no further injury results, the man who struck the woman must pay the amount of compensation the woman’s husband demands and the judges approve. 23 But if there is further injury, the punishment must match the injury: a life for a life' (Ex 21:22-23),
Footnotes:
[a] 21:22 Or so she has a miscarriage; Hebrew reads so her children come out.

I recommend the NLT as an excellent committee translation in simple language. I read and have taught NT Greek. However, in this committee revision of The Living Bible, the translation in the text is 'gives birth prematurely' and the translation, 'she has a miscarriage' is relegated to secondary status in a footnote.

Oz

The question, regardless of translation, is "in WHOSE exultation"? I submit it was Elizabeth's emotional reaction to hearing Mary's voice which caused fetal contractions. I don't think John was human being at that point, nor did he comprehend any sound.
Take Lk 1:44 as you may, but it was the babe that leaped, not Elizabeth; and it was John who exulted, not Elizabeth. John was filled with the Holy Spirit while yet unborn physically (Lk 1:15).

I am concerned that your point of view regarding life, that it begins at birth and not at conception, may lead to the justification of abortion by third parties. Whether or not the penalty for abortion is spiritually civil or criminal, you might be complicit by [knowingly or unknowingly] helping a third party to justify an abortion. I hope you will reconsider your viewpoint; but if not please keep it private.

how come he wasn't consecrated while IN the womb?
But Jeremiah was sanctified and ordained before coming out of the womb (Jer 1:5). He must have had a soul and spirit at that time, as the LORD was not talking about consecrating his flesh.

Esau and Jacob were alive before being born. They had souls, personalities, emotion, blood and life . . . as they struggled with one another while yet unborn; "And the sons struggled together within her" (Gen 25:22 a LITV).

Take Lk 1:44 as you may, but it was the babe that leaped, not Elizabeth; and it was John who exulted, not Elizabeth. John was filled with the Holy Spirit while yet unborn physically (Lk 1:15).

I am concerned that your point of view regarding life, that it begins at birth and not at conception, may lead to the justification of abortion by third parties. Whether or not the penalty for abortion is spiritually civil or criminal, you might be complicit by [knowingly or unknowingly] helping a third party to justify an abortion. I hope you will reconsider your viewpoint; but if not please keep it private.

But Jeremiah was sanctified and ordained before coming out of the womb (Jer 1:5). He must have had a soul and spirit at that time, as the LORD was not talking about consecrating his flesh.

Esau and Jacob were alive before being born. They had souls, personalities, emotion, blood and life . . . as they struggled with one another while yet unborn; "And the sons struggled together within her" (Gen 25:22 a LITV).
Gregg,

Have you seen some of the pictures in Abortion and American Holocaust? These are horrific images. I find it hard to understand those who do not see these aborted babies as children whose lives were slaughtered.

Oz

One man was trying to hurt another man.

Exodus 21:22 (KJV) If men strive, ...​
Your text says that only one man was trying to hurt another man???
Yet the KJV Text says men (plural) Plus, they were striving against each other.

Yet only one deserves the punishment. Think that thru based on your idea that the punishment was for one desiring to harm another.

What's more, the one that hit the pregnant women (not just a women, but a pregnant non-striving bystander) get's punishment that's based on what happens to the child (not a fetus, as you keep calling it). Think that thru too based on your idea that harm to the child isn't harm to a soul.

Since they were both striving against each other, what, was it a miscarriage of justice not to punish both of them?

The question, regardless of translation, is "in WHOSE exultation"? I submit it was Elizabeth's emotional reaction to hearing Mary's voice which caused fetal contractions. I don't think John was human being at that point, nor did he comprehend any sound.

how come he wasn't consecrated while IN the womb?

And why did Job say this:
“Why did I not die at birth, Come forth from the womb and expire?

If human life begins at conception, why didn't he wish for an abortion? Why mention "at birth" and "come forth FROM the womb". Clearly, he viewed human life as beginning at birth, not some time before birth.

I've already gone over Ex 21:22. NASB translates it as miscarry, yet there is only a civil penalty, not a criminal penalty for it.

If human life begins at conception, why didn't he wish for an abortion?

If tomato's just start as seeds, then why do we plant them expecting tomatoes?

If you dig a place for a swimming pool, then why get upset if someone comes at night and fills it up with concrete saying you destroyed my swimming pool, and not saying you filled my hole in the ground? Are they not also responsible for destroying what was going to be your plans for a pool?

If people really thought as they speak, why is there a tomato on the package of tomato seeds, and not a picture of the tomato seed?

If the farmer is counting on money to sell chickens by counting his eggs before they hatch, why is he upset at the loss of his chicken sales after the foxes break in and eat all the eggs?

If Mary had a miscarriage at conception and Jesus was never born, YOU WOULD NOT EVEN BE TYPING HERE!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!! Like Elijah.

Poor Elijah, he just couldn't quite measure up for a set of wings.

Being fast as a Horse is nice................. But it don't beat flying. Have to work harder. And ya, Myth busted big time.

“If men struggle with each other and strike a woman withchild so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman’s husband may demand of him,and he shall pay as the judges decide.
From my QuickVerse software:
Copyrights and Permission
New American Standard Bible
Original work copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972,1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. All rightsreserved.
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in anyform without permission in writing from the publisher, except inthe case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles orreviews.
Electronic Edition STEP Files Copyright © 2005, QuickVerse. Allrights reserved.
This book is licensed for the exclusive use of the originalpurchaser (“you”) for use on one computer only. This book isnot copy protected. QuickVerse authorizes you to make backup copies of the software for your archives only, for the solepurpose of protecting your investment from loss. You are freeto move this book from one computer location to another, aslong as there is no possibility of it being used at two locationsat one time. This electronic book should be treated like aprinted book, which cannot be read by two people at twodifferent locations at the same time.

And my hard copy 1978 NASB also says "miscarry". I've seen several other translation use that word, but I didn't write them down. But it can be checked easily enough.
That really interesting. So I started searching because the Lockman website search read 'premature'. Bizarre. BUT..
I found this on Pathos....
"Here is how Exodus 21:22-25 read in the New American Standard Bible’s 1977 revision of its 1971 original translation:

And if men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is not further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman’s husband may demand of him; and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

You can see how this fits in the context of the chapter. Here is another category of victim for which another set of punishments for violence is given. If a pregnant woman gets struck “so that she has a miscarriage,” but is not herself injured, then the man who struck her must pay a fine. But if the woman herself is injured, then the same rules and punishments for striking any other (non-slave) person apply — “life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, etc.”

But here’s the same passage in 1995 in the updated current version of the NASB:

If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely, yet there is no injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman’s husband may demand of him, and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

“So that she has a miscarriage” has been replaced with “so that she gives birth prematurely.”"
Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackt...in-partisan-bible-translations/#ixzz3VAPOsgwz

Which Scripture would teach that any part of the process of gestation is a human life?

Psalm 139:3 For you have formed my inward parts: you have covered me in my mother's womb.

Luke 1:41And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb.

If you all would take the time to really understand the 3 earth ages,all the answers fall into place...Study link at the bottom....Do what you will with it......

http://www.biblestudysite.com/begin.htm

Excerpt

WHEN WAS THE BEGINNING?Commonly referred to as The Three Earth Ages teaching.
"In the beginning...."

These are the first three English words in the Bible. But when was this beginning? Did it begin a mere six-thousand years ago with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? What does the Bible tell us? As with all of God's word, there is so much more written just below the surface right there before our eyes, hidden to most but there for the discovery of all. Let's dig it out!

We will study what God's Word, The Bible, says about the beginning; the beginning of not only the history of the creation of the world as we now know it today, but also the creation of the world that then was, as well as the world that is to come (Heaven). These are known as Earth Ages, and there are three of them spoken of in the Bible; we will learn of them in this study. We will also read of time-gap in scriptures, a great flood and destruction other than and before Noah's flood; we will even read of dinosaurs in the scriptures.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of quality in-depth teaching of God's written Word, many Christians have been led into confusion regarding foundational truths that are so very important to our understanding of the whole of God's Word and His plan. There is a plan and a "theme" to the Bible and it flows from Genesis through Revelation. But how can we understand the ending of God's plan (Revelation) if we don't fully understand the beginning (Genesis)? Today we will study several key scriptures in the Bible that many of us have just read over without fully understanding the deeper truths that were contained within them. Understanding these key fundamental truths is vital to understanding the whole of God's Word. But due to the false teachings and the half truths that we have been exposed to our entire life, often we must first unlearn the untruths, before we can learn the truths of God's most Perfect Word, The Bible.

This present topic (the beginning) is so very important because it will shatter a myth that has caused many intelligent well intentioned souls to disregard the Bible because they feel that the Bible goes against good, hard scientific fact; although in reality, nothing could actually be further from the truth.

You may have been told at some point by some of the unlearned within the 'religious community' that this earth is only six-thousand years old because of the fact that it is when God formed Adam in the Garden of Eden (4004 BC). And then you go to a museum and see entire skeletal remains of dinosaurs that have been Potassium-Argon dated to millions of years old!

Carbon 14 and Potassium-Argon dating are reported by Scientists to be quite accurate, although great care must be used in the testing of the specimen for results to be accurate. But it is only through God's perfect laws of nature and the very science that He gave us to explore and harness; that we are even able to date these items at all. Carbon 14 and Potassium-Argon dating calculate the deterioration or transformation of certain elements. These elements deteriorate or transform at a constant rate and thus allow us to determine the age that a certain organic specimen was alive.

The discovery of dinosaur remains that are dated to millions of years old does not go against the truths that God has placed in the Bible for us. In fact, it is scientific discoveries such as that which bears witness to His truths when we competently look at them! It was God that created the science, He created the elements and the laws of nature. It is a gift of God that chemicals and molecules act and deteriorate in a constant fashion, and that we have this scientific means of documenting the past of our planet earth.

Near the end of this study, We will see of a place that God mentions the dinosaur in the Bible. This should prove unnerving to those that stake their soul on the fact of the Bible being just the imaginations of some old sheep herders in Jerusalem. For we did not even discover the existence of dinosaurs until the A.D. 1800's, but the latest book written in the Bible was written in approximately A.D. 94 (Revelation). And the book that the dinosaur is mentioned in (Job) is thought to be the first book of the Bible put into writing, it is believed that the book of Job was written even before Moses scribed the book of Genesis sometime around 1490 BC.

Let's begin our study at the first verse of the first chapter of the first book in our Bible. Genesis was written by the inspiration of Almighty God through the hand of Moses, for Moses was not yet born when the events recorded in the beginning of the book Genesis transpired. We can determine from the genealogies recorded in the Bible that Moses was born on or about 1571 BC, and Adam was formed in 4004 BC in the Garden of Eden. Thus what we read here is the Divinely inspired account of the creation of the foundation of the world, and we most certainly must reflect on every word, for they are the words of Almighty God Himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If one dos'nt understand the beginning,noway will they understand the end......

Amen!
John 3:13
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

One must descend before one can ascend.

Born again, means, born from above.

Good evening, God Bless

OK. But the ORDER is clear from both Gen 2:7 and Heb 10:5. God prepares a body for the soul.
Ok.
Can we talk about that body and what is a 'living being', in this case a human being.
Does a partially formed body disqualify a single cell from being, a being?
I would say that it depends on the kind of cell that it is. Some cells just replicate themselves, loosely speaking, like skin cells, that is what they are programmed to do. But when we look at a fertilized one celled egg, it is a different kind of cell, by definition it is an organism, a 'being'.
Simple definition....
noun, plural: organisms
(Science: Biology)
An individual living thing that can react to stimuli, reproduce, grow, and maintain homeostasis. It can be a virus, bacterium, protist, fungus, plant or an animal
Supplement
Word origin: Greek organon = instrument.
Related forms: organismic (adjective), organismal (adjective), organismically (adverb).
Synonym: living thing, living being, individual.

Can the one celled human fertalized egg react to stimuli? Yes, in fact it does within seconds of being fertilized it forms a protective layer around itself to keep out other foreign intruders such as sperm cells.
Any honest scientist will tell you this is human being that will grow until it has formed all of it's individual parts.
Just because the body is one cell at this point in time doesn't make it any less of a human body.
a : the organized physical substance of an animal or plant either living or dead: as (1) : the material part or nature of a human being (2) : a dead organism : http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/body
The human being is by definition organized at each stage of it's growth and on a determined path of continued organized growth. In fact, it will just keep growing until it grows to it's full adult size of many, many cells.
So my question is.....
What would keep this one celled human being's body from being the prepared body for a soul/spirit?

Job 10:11 Skin and flesh Thou dost put on me, And with bones and sinews dost fence me.
Job 10:12 Life and kindness Thou hast done with me. And Thy inspection hath preserved my spirit.
Job 10:13 And these Thou hast laid up in Thy heart, I have known that this is with Thee.

1.gif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back