Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why didnt God take away the choice without violating freewill

We probably agree, but this one statement sounds like "open theology." I've read a little about it but not sure of all of what it entails. It seems to say that even God cannot know the future because it doesn't exist until it happens.
Giggle ... I'm definitely not an Open Theist. The idea doesn't make sense given the fact God tells of future events accurately. I suppose the Open Theists have an explanation but I'm not inclined in the least to study their doctrines.

Oh, I see as I continue reading you post that you gave similar evidence.

Hmmm ... I can see where you might get the idea that I might support Open Theism given my statement. To further clarify my stance:
God does know all future events and has always known all future events and the only way that is possible given at one time there was only God and no other source of information is that GOD DETERMINES ALL THINGS according to His eternal plan.

You don't know truth from falsehood, it's all just your own perception.

No you didn't.
Sure did. I even quoted it. Would you like me to quote it again? I can provide the link.

If so you wouldn't have started this silly argument.
I have never denied it and it has nothing to do with this discussion. You only think it does because you've made an assumption that is unwarranted.

No, because according to the bible, "everyone did what was right in his own eyes."

In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes. (Judges 21:25)
Okay. That doesn't negate anything I said.

Not being spiritually mature to discern good and evil is not being ready for the knowledge of good and evil.

The difference from "kill, steal and destroy". You don't seem to be spiritually mature enough to understand God's first and foremost identity - Creator of the Universe.
Again, what do those have to do with the discussion? You're making too many leaps in reasoning and use of Scripture without showing any actual connection. And any further personal remarks and you will be removed from the discussion.

God knows everything from the beginning, spiritually is not an afterthought or a reaction to the Fall.
Of course, but again, you're making assumptions.

When God has drafted the entire human history from the very beginning. He never changes, and neither was his plan. If Adam and Eve were never supposed to have known good and evil, the tree would never have been planted in Eden in the first place, for God does not tempt us, neither can he be tempted (James 1:13).

I am God, and there is none like Me,
Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things that are not yet done,
Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
And I will do all My pleasure,’ (Is. 46:9-10)
What do you mean by "God has drafted the entire human history"?

Yes, when those who believe in Jesus are resurrected, and reigning with him in eternal life.

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. (1 Thess. 4:17)
You stated: "That shows people are supposed to have known good and evil, but I said, many do not."

I responded:

'How do you go from a verse showing humans' rebellion against God by eating from "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil," to it showing that "people are supposed to have known good and evil"?

Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden,
Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (ESV)

Where in the above, never mind in the entirety of Scripture, do you get the idea that "it was His purpose for them to eat the Tree of Knowledge - when they were READY"? Was there going to be a point when they could eat of it and not "surely die"? When they would know good and evil and live forever?'

And your response to that is:

"Yes, when those who believe in Jesus are resurrected, and reigning with him in eternal life.

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. (1 Thess. 4:17)"

How do you not see the problems with your position? This is your claim:

1. God's purpose was for Adam and Eve to eat of the Tree of Knowledge when they were ready.
2. The human race was expected to know good and evil.
3. They would be ready to eat of it and were supposed to eat of it "when those who believe in Jesus are resurrected, and reigning with him in eternal life."

However, it was precisely their eating of the tree in the garden of Eden that required God to come in the person of Jesus to die for their sins and our sins, so that those who believe in him can be resurrected and have eternal life. They were already with the Lord in the garden of Eden and had they not eaten of the tree, they would have already had eternal life.

Not to mention that there will be no evil in heaven, so why would it be in heaven that they were supposed to eat of the tree and gain knowledge of good and evil when that only has application in this life?

Your position on this makes no sense of the biblical text whatsoever.

As I have repeatedly stated, that readiness is spiritual maturity to discern good and evil, which you don't seem to have as you've decided to deliberately play dumb. I ask you again, how to discern good and evil without the knowledge of good and evil?
Again, your assumptions are the problem here.

Then why did you throwing out the "post Fall" label?
Again, it is your assumptions regarding the text that needs my position to have God change his plan. But, it doesn't.

Satan's existence is NOT an assumption, nor were his evil angels.
I never said they were.

If Adam and Eve hadn't sinned, Satan and his angels would still be hanging around.
And, they're not still hanging around?

No you don't, or you wouldn't have thrown out the "post Fall" label as though spiritual maturity was a fix in the new "post Fall" reality.
Do not misrepresent others' positions.

So somehow your "post fall" and "suppress the truth" are not assumptions? You're undermining God's omniscience with your "post fall" theory and contradicting both reality and Judges 21:25 with your "suppress the truth" claim.
Again, assumptions. You keep adding assumptions on top of assumptions. What does God's omniscience have to do with anything? Yes, he knew all of what would happen in human history, but what, exactly, does that have to do with your initial claim that: "It wasn't God's purpose for them to sin, but it was His purpose for them to eat the Tree of Knowledge - when they were READY"?

Sorry, but you make too many jumps in your reasoning and use of the Bible without explaining how any of it connects together.

God does know all future events and has always known all future events and the only way that is possible given at one time there was only God and no other source of information is that GOD DETERMINES ALL THINGS according to His eternal plan.
Yes, Westminster Confession chapter 3: Of God's eternal decrees.

He doesn't know the future because He can see it, but because He has decreed it.
Here are a few excerpts of Open theists. To me it sounds like a total alien god from the one in Bible.
They all seem to deny Gods Omniscience.

Richard Rice in The Openness of God:
Instead of perceiving the entire course of human existence in one timeless moment, God comes to know events as they take place. He learns something from what transpires. We call this position the “open view of God” because it regards God as receptive to new experiences and as flexible in the way he works toward his objectives in the world. Since it sees God as dependent on the world in certain respects, the open view of God differs from much conventional theology.

Clark Pinnock, in The Grace of God, The Will of Man, says similarly:
Decisions not yet made do not exist anywhere to be known even by God. They are potential— yet to be realized but not yet actual. God can predict a great deal of what we will choose to do, but not all of it, because some of it remains hidden in the mystery of human freedom … God too faces possibilities in the future, and not only certainties. God too moves into a future not wholly known …

Greg Boyd in Letters from a Skeptic:
In the Christian view God knows all of reality—everything there is to know. But to assume He knows ahead of time how every person is going to freely act assumes that each person’s free activity is already there to know—even before he freely does it! But it’s not. If we have been given freedom, we create the reality of our decisions by making them. And until we make them, they don’t exist. Thus, in my view at least, there simply isn’t anything to know until we make it there to know. So God can’t foreknow the good or bad decisions of the people He creates until He creates these people and they, in turn, create their decisions.

I just was reminded of one something in the Psalms.

This is from the ESV.
Psalm 139:4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.

Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Sure did. I even quoted it. Would you like me to quote it again? I can provide the link.
You did repeatedly accuse me what you're guilty of, no doubt about that.
I have never denied it and it has nothing to do with this discussion. You only think it does because you've made an assumption that is unwarranted.
It has everything to do with this discussion, you're begging the question with your own false unwarranted assumption that God had adjusted his expectation for mankind "after the fall".
Okay. That doesn't negate anything I said.
Yes it does. You argued that most people, with full knowledge of good and evil, consciously suppress good and indulge in evil; this shows they don't know, everyone's following their own moral compass - not God's.
Again, what do those have to do with the discussion? You're making too many leaps in reasoning and use of Scripture without showing any actual connection.
I stand by my claim of "readiness" for the knowledge of good and evil, which is spiritual maturity to discern good and evil. If you disagree, please present your own counter claim instead of playing dumb and dismissing it as irrelevant.
And any further personal remarks and you will be removed from the discussion.
Then how about you lead by example, by showing some respect?
Of course, but again, you're making assumptions.
God is omniscient, he has declared the end from the beginning (Is. 46:9-10), and he has known us from the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4). Again, you're in denial.
What do you mean by "God has drafted the entire human history"?
I meant by what prophet Isaiah meant in Is. 46:9-10.
You stated: "That shows people are supposed to have known good and evil, but I said, many do not."

I responded:

'How do you go from a verse showing humans' rebellion against God by eating from "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil," to it showing that "people are supposed to have known good and evil"?

Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden,
Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (ESV)

Where in the above, never mind in the entirety of Scripture, do you get the idea that "it was His purpose for them to eat the Tree of Knowledge - when they were READY"? Was there going to be a point when they could eat of it and not "surely die"? When they would know good and evil and live forever?'

And your response to that is:

"Yes, when those who believe in Jesus are resurrected, and reigning with him in eternal life.

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. (1 Thess. 4:17)"

How do you not see the problems with your position? This is your claim:

1. God's purpose was for Adam and Eve to eat of the Tree of Knowledge when they were ready.
2. The human race was expected to know good and evil.
3. They would be ready to eat of it and were supposed to eat of it "when those who believe in Jesus are resurrected, and reigning with him in eternal life."

However, it was precisely their eating of the tree in the garden of Eden that required God to come in the person of Jesus to die for their sins and our sins, so that those who believe in him can be resurrected and have eternal life. They were already with the Lord in the garden of Eden and had they not eaten of the tree, they would have already had eternal life.

Not to mention that there will be no evil in heaven, so why would it be in heaven that they were supposed to eat of the tree and gain knowledge of good and evil when that only has application in this life?

Your position on this makes no sense of the biblical text whatsoever.
In your logic, that "eating of the tree in the garden of Eden that required God to come in the person of Jesus to die for their sins and our sins", you're saying that Jesus was an afterthought, a fix for the Fall. That directly contradicts the entire biblical narrative of salvation - "In the BEGINNING was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was IN THE BEGINNING with God." - Jn. 1:1-2. You're begging the question with your fallacious claim of the label "after the Fall" which undermines God's omniscience, as though he were bound by time and he had to react to a disastrous situation without foreknowledge.
Again, your assumptions are the problem here.
How about you remove the log from your own eyes first?
Again, it is your assumptions regarding the text that needs my position to have God change his plan. But, it doesn't.
You came up with the "post Fall" label but built your whole elaborate argument upon it, not me.
I never said they were.
Then why are you accusing me of making assumptions?
And, they're not still hanging around?
Idk, you tell me. You're the one with the hypothesis that sin wouldn't have entered the world had Adam and Eve not eaten the fruit, but the bible states otherwise - Satan and his angels were already cast out of heaven.

And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Rev. 12:8-9)
Do not misrepresent others' positions.
Do not behave like an agitator while playing the victim.
Again, assumptions. You keep adding assumptions on top of assumptions. What does God's omniscience have to do with anything?
Everything that was, is and is to be.
Yes, he knew all of what would happen in human history, but what, exactly, does that have to do with your initial claim that: "It wasn't God's purpose for them to sin, but it was His purpose for them to eat the Tree of Knowledge - when they were READY"?
The expectation to discern good and evil, Heb. 5:14.
Sorry, but you make too many jumps in your reasoning and use of the Bible without explaining how any of it connects together.
I abide by the Sola Scriptura principle by using the bible to interpret the bible, maybe you should educate yourself and learn some manners. Assumption or not, at least I can come up with various scriptures for defense, you got nothing, you've just been condescendingly and conceitedly accusing me, that reminds me of a nasty character in Rev. 12:10.

God established that a person would plan his course according to God's plan. It is "good" that things go according to God's plan as He is all wise.
Proverbs 16:1 The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from Yahweh.
Proverbs 16:2 All the ways of a man are pure in his own sight, But Yahweh weighs the motives.

Human responsibility is always subject to God's absolute sovereignty (cf. Pro_3:6; Pro_16:2, Pro_16:9, Pro_16:33; Pro_19:21; Pro_20:24; Pro_21:1, Pro_21:30-31).

It has everything to do with this discussion, you're begging the question with your own false unwarranted assumption that God had adjusted his expectation for mankind "after the fall".
Where have I ever stated or implied 'that God had adjusted his expectation for mankind "after the fall"'? You've made assumptions about my position and then concluded that I believe God adjusted his expectations for mankind.

Yes it does. You argued that most people, with full knowledge of good and evil, consciously suppress good and indulge in evil; this shows they don't know, everyone's following their own moral compass - not God's.
No, it doesn't. There are a number of reasons why people sin, as given throughout the NT.

I stand by my claim of "readiness" for the knowledge of good and evil, which is spiritual maturity to discern good and evil. If you disagree, please present your own counter claim instead of playing dumb and dismissing it as irrelevant.
The issue is, there is nothing to support your position. That is my only point.

Then how about you lead by example, by showing some respect?
Where have I been disrespectful? If you think it is disrespectful when someone points out errors in your reasoning or problems in your theology, then perhaps the Apologetics forum isn't for you.

God is omniscient, he has declared the end from the beginning (Is. 46:9-10), and he has known us from the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4). Again, you're in denial.
No, I am not. Again, you're making assumptions about what I believe, and I strongly suggest you stop misrepresenting my beliefs.

I meant by what prophet Isaiah meant in Is. 46:9-10.
That isn't helpful since you're not explaining what Isa. means. Do you mean God has planned out all of human history, that everything that has happened has been according to his plan?

In your logic, that "eating of the tree in the garden of Eden that required God to come in the person of Jesus to die for their sins and our sins", you're saying that Jesus was an afterthought, a fix for the Fall.
There is no way to come to that conclusion from what I've said without making assumptions.

You're begging the question with your fallacious claim of the label "after the Fall" which undermines God's omniscience, as though he were bound by time and he had to react to a disastrous situation without foreknowledge.
Again, there is no way to come to that conclusion from what I've said without making assumptions. Do you not believe there was a pre-Fall period of time which was significantly different from the period of time that still continues post-Fall?

You came up with the "post Fall" label but built your whole elaborate argument upon it, not me.
Did I make a "whole elaborate argument"?

Then why are you accusing me of making assumptions?
Because you did and continue to do so.

Idk, you tell me. You're the one with the hypothesis that sin wouldn't have entered the world had Adam and Eve not eaten the fruit, but the bible states otherwise - Satan and his angels were already cast out of heaven.
Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—
Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
Rom 5:16 And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification.
Rom 5:17 For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. (ESV)

1Co 15:21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.
1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. (ESV)

Satan and his angels may have been cast out of heaven to earth--they were sinful beings in the world--but sin itself entered the world through Adam.

Do not behave like an agitator while playing the victim.
Again, if you think someone pointing out errors in your reasoning and theology is being an agitator, then maybe the Apologetics forum isn't for you.

Everything that was, is and is to be.

The expectation to discern good and evil, Heb. 5:14.
Yes, for believers, and believers are those who follow Christ, whose death was necessary because Adam ate of the tree in the first place. Had he and Eve not eaten of it, there would be no need for a saviour as there would be no sin and evil in the world, and therefore no need to ever eat of the tree.

I abide by the Sola Scriptura principle by using the bible to interpret the bible,
You have yet to show how you have done so without first reading things into the text.

Assumption or not, at least I can come up with various scriptures for defense, you got nothing,
Nothing? I proved your whole position to be contradictory and you didn't even bother to address that point. That suggests you see the error of your position, which I suspect is why you have become so agitated.

you've just been condescendingly and conceitedly accusing me, that reminds me of a nasty character in Rev. 12:10.
There has been nothing condescending or conceited on my part. Maybe you should reconsider posting in this forum.

Most people would say that is a contradiction. What good does it do to plan your course if the Lord establishes it?
Most people isn't a qualifier you can sustain.

You think it is a contradiction.

Let's look at what is being told to us by God in the Proverbs verse.

We decide our path in life because we are intelligent conscious humans. Otherwise if incapable of that cerebral function we would be vacant shells awaiting input solely,soul-ly,from God.

However,we choose what we want to do because even as indwelt people in Christ we are still following our human nature and will because we are human.
God determines where we go even with our choices. God's will and plans are sovereign.

You think it is a contradiction.
No I don't. I believe: God, from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.

However,we choose what we want to do because even as indwelt people in Christ we are still following our human nature and will because we are human.
God determines where we go even with our choices. God's will and plans are sovereign.
I don't think He is talking about "indwelt people in Christ" in Proverbs. A man's heart plans his way - any man, every man, even women.

No I don't. I believe: God, from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.
You obey and recite creeds.

Given world histories, besides scriptural records of genocides ordained by God.
There are those who think the creator can do whatever he likes with his creatures and creation.

The,do as I say not as I do ideology. Interesting to consider God,Jesus in flesh, said, be ye perfect,holy,as I am holy.
I don't think He is talking about "indwelt people in Christ" in Proverbs. A man's heart plans his way - any man, every man, even women.
Of course. However,we are among the faithful here and that is the context of my post.

Where have I ever stated or implied 'that God had adjusted his expectation for mankind "after the fall"'? You've made assumptions about my position and then concluded that I believe God adjusted his expectations for mankind.
Then what's your position, and what exactly did you mean by "after the Fall"? Insofar you don't seem to have any position at all, you're just being antagonistic against mine.
No, it doesn't. There are a number of reasons why people sin, as given throughout the NT.
But history is rhyming, nothing has changed, Judges 21:25 has a new modern name - moral relativism, you know how true that is.
The issue is, there is nothing to support your position. That is my only point.
Or there's everything, a whole biblical narrative, you're just denying it with no point of your own.
Where have I been disrespectful? If you think it is disrespectful when someone points out errors in your reasoning or problems in your theology, then perhaps the Apologetics forum isn't for you.
OK, I adimit I'm wrong on this one, you're not disrespectful, you're just being a coward who just keeps denying and denying. If you don't agree with my theology, why don't you post your own, and then let's put YOUR brilliant theology under the microscope for scrutiny? So far all you've responded is "after the fall", and now you've denied that as well, so what else have you got? If you've got nothing, then perhaps the Apologetics forum isn't for you.
No, I am not. Again, you're making assumptions about what I believe, and I strongly suggest you stop misrepresenting my beliefs.
Then what exactly ARE your beliefs? Again I've seen nothing. Nothing but antagonism. That's not a belief, that's opposition against other people's belief.
That isn't helpful since you're not explaining what Isa. means. Do you mean God has planned out all of human history, that everything that has happened has been according to his plan?
Hey, since you've been so relentlessly and consistently accusing me of misrepresenting your beliefs and making baseless claims, how about YOU explaining to me what this verse means? How about YOU enlighten me with YOUR understanding, follow YOUR train of thoughts, with every word on record, so to eliminate the need for "assumption"?
There is no way to come to that conclusion from what I've said without making assumptions.
Then why did you say that? Now you start to deny yourself?
Again, there is no way to come to that conclusion from what I've said without making assumptions. Do you not believe there was a pre-Fall period of time which was significantly different from the period of time that still continues post-Fall?
Of course I do, but I also believe there's a difference between the garden of Eden and the rest of the world, also, the presence of Satan and his evil angels, according to Rev. 12:9 and Job 1:6. It's not like the "Fall" is a triggering event that directly pulled Satan down to earth. It is a fact that Satan was already in the Garden, Gen. 3:1, and the forbidden fruit contains the knowledge of both good AND evil, not just good, Gen. 2:17, that indicates evil already existed.
Did I make a "whole elaborate argument"?
Idk, go back and check out your own post.
Because you did and continue to do so.
Then how about you make a sound argument with your own counter claim, instead of just accusing me of making assumptions? What makes anything you said more legitimate than an "assumption"? At least I backed my claim with multiple verses, what've you got?
Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—
Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
Rom 5:16 And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification.
Rom 5:17 For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. (ESV)

1Co 15:21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.
1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. (ESV)

Satan and his angels may have been cast out of heaven to earth--they were sinful beings in the world--but sin itself entered the world through Adam.
"Sin" is disobedience against God, the act of defiance, NOT some kind of evil substance laden in the forbidden fruit like the poisoned apple the evil queen gave to Snow White. Had God given Adam and Eve permission to eat it, it would no longer be considered sin, but God's will.
Again, if you think someone pointing out errors in your reasoning and theology is being an agitator, then maybe the Apologetics forum isn't for you.
Again, if agitation is all you do without any reasoning or theology of your own, then maybe the Apologetics forum isn't for you.
Yes, for believers, and believers are those who follow Christ, whose death was necessary because Adam ate of the tree in the first place. Had he and Eve not eaten of it, there would be no need for a saviour as there would be no sin and evil in the world, and therefore no need to ever eat of the tree.
That's your baseless assumption contrary to what the bible states - "He was in the beginning with God." Nowhere in there remotely suggests that Jesus the Savior, the Son, the second person of the Godhead is a fix for the sin and evil in the world. This is not "supply and demand".
You have yet to show how you have done so without first reading things into the text.
Says you who have read a whole set of "post-Fall" hypothesis into the text, and don't even have the dignity to own it.
Nothing? I proved your whole position to be contradictory and you didn't even bother to address that point. That suggests you see the error of your position, which I suspect is why you have become so agitated.
You've proved nothing, all you've got is your own unbiblical assumptions that undermine Lord Jesus's preeminence and his co-eternal state with God.
There has been nothing condescending or conceited on my part. Maybe you should reconsider posting in this forum.
Or maybe you should take a good look at this remark itself and see how condescending and conceited it is. I don't blame you for your attitude and I'm not "agitated", I just feel sorry for you, man, I've observed that you've grown so accustomed to your condescending and conceited tone that now you have no self awareness of it.

Last edited:
Moses hadn't even gone back to Egypt yet and God tells him that He will harder Pharaoh's heart. Why? So that God can do all the signs and wonders - see verses below

Exo 7:3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.
Exo 7:4 But Pharaoh will not heed you, so that I may lay My hand on Egypt and bring My armies and My people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments. (What God told to Abraham 400 years ago)
Exo 7:5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch out My hand on Egypt and bring out the children of Israel from among them."
God is "hardening" pharohs' heart in a way. Pharoh wanted to keep rebelling and rebelling. God let him get on with his choice.
Plain simply reading of the text tells me that it was God's plan to do all those miracles in Egypt and drown Pharaoh and his army in the sea to gain glory for Himself and show them and us that it is it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 10:31
I'm on your side.

Only God has free will where free will is defined as self-determination/uninfluenced . Being all power and all wise the only way the best things can occur is when God determines (plans, ordains) all things.
To the degree that man has free will (no external influences) God does not have "free will".
To the degree that man has free will (no external influences) God is under the control of man; the inferior controls the superior.
Just about nobody here thinks that freewill involves no influence. Frankly, IDK where the idea that influences and freewill are tied came from. Sounds made up and a non sequitur.
Ofc everyones freewill is influenced, but that fact doesnt magically make us computers who cant choose to do anything.
It is logically impossible for an immutable, external God to know the future if said future is to be determined by entities that at one time did not exist. ( ex nihilo nihil fit)
It is logically possible. Your argument is like "You cannot predict that it will rain if there are currently no rain clouds."
Well meterologists typically predict it will rain in an area many days before it rains, even if there are no storm clouds anywhere near the location.

Psalm 33:15 He Who fashions the hearts of them all, Who considers all their doings.
Acts 17:25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, because it is He who gives to all [people] life and breath and all things
How does this relate to knowing the future?

This verse dicusses that God is Creator and that God gains nothing from being served.

God doesn't need our service. "As though He needed anything." Not simply "nor is He served." In no way does this undermine our obligation to serve God, this just points out that God does not "NEED" our service. God is not dependent on us. But we depend on Him.
In other news, God determined that my New York Yankees bound for the World Series. :SunSm

I guess I'm flabbergasted by this because it is not the God I see in the Bible.
This view seems to be that everything that has happened in history was a chance event.
What do you mean by "chance" here?
Assuming you mean "not on purpose", well, no. If someone does something intentionally that is not chance, that is because someone used their will to act.
"if so and so had acted different, then God would have acted differently." Thus all of history might have been different.

If the Jews had been more obedient, then God might not have had the Assyrians and Babylonians come and take them away. Daniel might not have been in Babylon in the first place and never written his book .

I have heard people like this say that Jesus didn't even have to be crucified.
Luke 4:28 So all those in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
Luke 4:29 and rose up and thrust Him out of the city; and they led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw Him down over the cliff.

They would say that if they had succeeded in killing Him right there, that death would have been enough.
Enough for what?

But they would have to ignore all the Scriptures foretelling the crucifixion. Just one:
So you mean they would be rebelling against God's desired way?
John 12:32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself." 33 This He said, signifying by what death He would die.

Psalm 33 (New American Standard Bible)
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
9 For He spoke, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.
10 The Lord nullifies the counsel of the nations;
He frustrates the plans of the peoples.

11 The counsel of the Lord stands forever,
The plans of His heart from generation to generation.

Does that sound like a God who simply reacts to what people do?
If the nations didnt counsel, what would God be nullifying? If the people didnt plan in the first place, what would God be frustrating?

What do you mean by the word "react", and what do you think it involves?

What do you mean by "chance" here?
Assuming you mean "not on purpose", well, no. If someone does something intentionally that is not chance, that is because someone used their will to act.
But it is still chance. That person could have used their "will to act" to do something different than they did. It depended upon their circumstances, mood and other things, which could have been different.

I used my "will to act" to be here on this forum right now. But many circumstances could have made me or influenced me to not get on this forum right now. Sickness, computer or internet being down, a tornado bearing down on my house 5 minutes away.
Enough for what?
Jesus simply dying by being being thrown over the cliff, would have been enough to satisfy God's justice of Jesus being slain for the sins of the world.
So you mean they would be rebelling against God's desired way?
I mean as Jesus said many times "Scripture must be fulfilled." It was God's plan for Jesus to be crucified in the exact way and time He did. He could not have died at any other time or way.
If the nations didnt counsel, what would God be nullifying? If the people didnt plan in the first place, what would God be frustrating?
But they did counsel and do what they did because it was foreordained. It couldn't or wouldn't have happened any other way.
Luke 24:44 Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."

Here is just one link about this:

God is "hardening" pharohs' heart in a way. Pharoh wanted to keep rebelling and rebelling. God let him get on with his choice.
You are totally missing what God is saying here.
Exo 4:21 And the LORD said to Moses, "When you go back to Egypt, see that you do all those wonders before Pharaoh which I have put in your hand. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.

God is saying that He will harden Pharaoh's heart so that - Indicates purpose. What purpose? he will not let the people go. God was making sure that Pharaoh "will not let the people go." Why?

Here's another "so that" which explains the "why."
Exo 7:4 But Pharaoh will not heed you, so that I may lay My hand on Egypt and bring My armies and My people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.

I don't understand why you can accept that God did those great judgments, even killing the first born, to get glory over Egypt so that His name may be declared in all the earth. God did not want Pharaoh to just give up and let the people go. Yes, God commanded Pharaoh to do just that, but that would not have served God's purpose of executing all those plagues against Egypt, drowning Pharaoh's army in the sea and God making a name for Himself.

Read Exodus 15: 1-21 (called the Song of Moses) where the people rejoice about God killing Egypt's army in the sea.

Back