Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Why do Atheists not believe? + OFF-TOPIC GOODNESS

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Why do Atheists not believe?

Physicist said:
Sir Pwn4lot said:
Hey, I have a question for you, be honest:

Why do most Atheists not believe in God/Christianity?

Please get back to me, I'm interested about what you think.

All Christians are atheists, when it comes to Vishnu, Thor, Allah etc. In fact, the only difference between them and atheists is that the atheists add one more god, YHWH, to the pile of non-belief.

Why do you reject Allah?

Historical, literary, and archeological research show that there is nothing special about the ancient Hebrew God, YHWH, that would provide any reason to think he exists and Baal does not.

The rudiments of the world won't get you close to God. They will not fill you with the Holy Ghost either.

Do you believe in spiritual matters at all? If not why not?

geography

[quote="ronniechoate34"
The rudiments of the world won't get you close to God. They will not fill you with the Holy Ghost either.

Do you believe in spiritual matters at all? If not why not?[/quote]
In general, I am skeptical of spiritual experiences because they appear to be a phenomena that is geographically based. Muslims have spiritual experiences that are Islamic; Hindus that are Hindu; Christians that are Christian. I have never heard of a case where a Hindu claims that Allah spoke to him, for example.

THis suggest to me that spiritual experience is a biological phenomenon that is interpreted by the person using his/her cultural setting. The purely biological phenomenon appears to be explainable by natural forces, e.g. stress or drugs.

3gsd said:
Atheists aren't atheists because they want to sin. Atheists are atheists because they do not believe there is a God. Their reasons vary, but in a nutshell, that's it.

I've had this problem in my Euthyphro Dilemma thread, you mix up cause and effect. I already know they don't believe there is a God, I'm asking why you think they don't.

I believe that pure justice does exist. Once people step away from God they should expect the worst. America.

So do I (Depending on what you define pure justice as lol), but it isn't 2 Kings 2:23-24, and no observation context can warp that into a happy day out with the kiddies.

Do you believe in spiritual matters at all? If not why not?

Depends what you mean, but I know what you're talking about. No, I don't believe in the sort of spirituality you're thinking of, but you think it's like me on one side and you on the other, it's not like that at all. I'm not in my camp and defending my belief (Well, non-belief, which I don't have to defend, you have to attack [See burden of proof]), if some evidence comes along that shows me otherwise then I'll take up that belief after careful examination.

Christians that are Christian. I have never heard of a case where a Hindu claims that Allah spoke to him, for example.

What does that say about these personal experiences? Either God likes to morph into other Gods and trick the other religious people (Thereby drastically increasing their chances of going to eternal torture) or about 67% of all personal experiences are the result of wanting it too much (Up to about 93% if you include denomination).

Even with the moderator putting us back on topic you haven't managed to do so.....

Evidently lot of atheists really do believe in a creator, since Dawkins admitted the possibility of aliens having started life here on earth (per an interview in the DVD documentary 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed').

Strange how an avowed evolutionist like Dawkins would admit that about aliens; it shows he's willing to believe in the idea of a creator, but just not God The Creator.

veteran said:
Evidently lot of atheists really do believe in a creator, since Dawkins admitted the possibility of aliens having started life here on earth (per an interview in the DVD documentary 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed').

Strange how an avowed evolutionist like Dawkins would admit that about aliens; it shows he's willing to believe in the idea of a creator, but just not God The Creator.

facepalm.jpg

1. That documentary was laughable, I had to watch it a few times to fully absorb the [insert profanity that would get me banned here]. It has a 9% rating amongst the public on Rotten Tomatoes (Even with the constant votebot attacks). Amongst professional reviewers it actually has an average score of 0%

2. The aliens are a naturalistic creator, and AGAIN you've gotten knowledge and belief mixed up. Dawkins said it was POSSIBLE. This is an Agnostic position on the subject, HE DOESN'T BELIEVE THAT. Why is the difference between knowledge and belief so hard for people to grasp?

3. The aliens would have taken some life from their planet and put it on ours, it's not supernatural creation, in fact it's not even creation at all. The aliens still evolved lol.

4. This doesn't invalidate evolution, it means both the aliens AND us evolved.

5. Quoting Expelled isn't a very advisable practice if you want to have a shred of credibility, surely you can find a source outside Creationist propaganda? Not that that invalidates what they say (It's invalidated by how removed from factuality it is), but it's like quoting Fox News polls to show the percentage of Liberals in America.

but if so, i will call that alien race the alterains, from stargate sg1, as they coined then used that to explain alll the humaniod races. where did that race come from.?

what if a being was there first a created all others. as he evolved first , or they or what ever. and has the capabilites to create or destroy matter,

jasoncran said:
but if so, i will call that alien race the alterains, from stargate sg1, as they coined then used that to explain alll the humaniod races. where did that race come from.?

what if a being was there first a created all others. as he evolved first , or they or what ever. and has the capabilites to create or destroy matter,

I understood pretty much none of this post lol.

Weren't there 5 main humanoid races (Ancients, Asgards, etc)? I don't get it haha. We could be the alien species that creates life on other planets, all we have to do is grab some plants and fly to another hospitable planet hen chuck them there, it involves nothing other than the theory of evolution anyway.

The aliens are only creators as much as you are when you plant some seeds.....

the ancients are the parents to the human race correct, but they themselves ascended and are able to manipulate the laws of physics, ie create metals and so on so forth, they as had a sister race called the ori, they drew power from their beliefs.

still something had to start that race, the asgard are wiped out save the remnants in the pegasus galaxy.

if the universe is like that, for the sake of the argument, who created the parent alien race, and acsended long before the ancients did, and he or they started to create other life forms because they wanted to, and had the ablility to do so.

since we are using the stargate thing as an example of the universe. the ancients were wiped out by the plague and recreated life using(not just humanoid) the machine on dakkara.

so do you think that those aliens are not able to do that as well or an older much larger entity.
if so, how's that any more logical than god, that is in the bible, except he doesnt need tech to do it. and has always existed which we can seem to grasp and it is by faith that i believe that.

jasoncran said:
since we are using the stargate thing as an example of the universe. the ancients were wiped out by the plague and recreated life using(not just humanoid) the machine on dakkara.

so do you think that those aliens are not able to do that as well or an older much larger entity.
if so, how's that any more logical than god, that is in the bible, except he doesnt need tech to do it. and has always existed which we can seem to grasp and it is by faith that i believe that.

First of all I know next to nothing about Stargate so I don't really get many of your arguments & analogies. Think you could decode it into English? Thanks lol.

Any form of directed panspermia requires no supernatural input, it's entirely possible with only abiogenesis, evolution & time.

Secondly, I don't believe any of this, I only say it's possible. There's a difference between knowledge and belief (See this thread). I don't believe and am Agnostic with regard to the possibility.

I'm also a non-believing Agnostic with regard to fairies, leprechauns, Santa Claus AND Jesus.

You know your thread is destroyed when even moderators can't resist going off topic. This is now a thread that tolerates off-topicness hehe.

Re: geography

Physicist said:
In general, I am skeptical of spiritual experiences because they appear to be a phenomena that is geographically based. Muslims have spiritual experiences that are Islamic; Hindus that are Hindu; Christians that are Christian. I have never heard of a case where a Hindu claims that Allah spoke to him, for example.

THis suggest to me that spiritual experience is a biological phenomenon that is interpreted by the person using his/her cultural setting. The purely biological phenomenon appears to be explainable by natural forces, e.g. stress or drugs.

It's a spiritual hierarchy that exists in an invisible realm. There are principalities that rule certain geographical locations here. The way it works is very orderly and I'll tell you why. It's because order is important.

There are a lot of things that can't be explained by something as simple as natural forces and drugs, etc. In fact the atheists can't prove that any of these things cause these events. They have no real answers at all. It seems like atheists are simply taking an easy way out of answering tough questions. Even with the knowledge we have it's never enough and always leaves questions to be answered. I say, hallelujah.

ronniechoate34 said:
In fact the atheists can't prove that any of these things cause these events.

Wait for it..... Wait for it....

Neither can you

You can't prove that God does them either. What you propose (Atheists having to disprove it) is a pure and simple burden of proof fallacy. The onus is on YOU to prove where they come from, if you can't do that you don't believe the claim. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps I should make a list of logical fallacies that people (Christians in particular) use all the time.

so, you think that world view, which is A BELIEF, doesnt affect the search for evidence. so you a robot then. you assume that there is nothing that did create it, and cant be proven, that there is moral absolutes, and so on,

when you look at things this is how you see things, we all see things through the world view we believe in and process accordingly, and this does relate to the thread, as to why atheist dont believe.

world view has much to do with it. i will leave this thread on that.men without chests indeed.

JoJo said:
I wouldn't say most people particularly want to sin. Although all of us are tempted to do things we know aren't good for us. The difference is that, as Christians, we can confess our sins to God and are forgiven. But I'm getting off topic...

Why don't atheists believe in God? They are blind. We must pray for them to see.

"In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." (2 Corinthians 4:4)

Your explanation fails by default when you're trying to use the Bible to prove something to Atheists.
Why didn't you quote something from the Quran?

BTW, praying doesn't work.

jasoncran said:
you assume that there is nothing that did create it, and cant be proven, that there is (Fun fact! Plural = are!) moral absolutes, and so on,

Lol, I've already had to link people to this a good 10 times, and I doubt it'll stop anytime soon

No, I don't say there was no creator, there are no moral absolutes, etc, I just reject the claim that there is. I don't believe there is, but I don't claim there isn't lol. Give me some evidence and I'll snatch it right up.

Sir Pwn4lot said:
jasoncran said:
you assume that there is nothing that did create it, and cant be proven, that there is (Fun fact! Plural = are!) moral absolutes, and so on,

Lol, I've already had to link people to this a good 10 times, and I doubt it'll stop anytime soon

No, I don't say there was no creator, there are no moral absolutes, etc, I just reject the claim that there is. I don't believe there is, but I don't claim there isn't lol. Give me some evidence and I'll snatch it right up.
then you will never see as YOU HAVE STATED GOD CANT BE STUDIED EMPIRICALLY.ONLY THE LORD CAN OPEN YOUR HEART UP, MY CARNAL MIND DOESNT ACCEPT THE HE EXISTS, BUT BY FAITH I BELIEVE IT.

jasoncran said:
then you will never see as YOU HAVE STATED GOD CANT BE STUDIED EMPIRICALLY.ONLY THE LORD CAN OPEN YOUR HEART UP, MY CARNAL MIND DOESNT ACCEPT THE HE EXISTS, BUT BY FAITH I BELIEVE IT.

No, if there is a supernatural world it has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on me (Unless they come into the natural world, at which point they cease to become supernatural and can be studied empirically)

If there is a supernatural world and it affects me in any way shape or form I first have to go there. While here in the natural world every hypothesis about the supernatural world is on equal footing

JoJo said:
Why don't atheists believe in God? They are blind. We must pray for them to see.

"In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." (2 Corinthians 4:4)

They're blind? Don't you realize that's not a reason to not believe, it's the non-belief itself.

Why can't I get a straight answer around here? It's a very simple question. ORLY? We can quote scripture? I had no idea!

And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth [42 from memory] little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. [2 Kings 2:23-24]

Yay!

You do not see the air, but yet you trust that it is there. There are many things that the human body can not feel, taste, smell, hear, touch, or see.

Sir Pwn4lot said:
ronniechoate34 said:
In fact the atheists can't prove that any of these things cause these events.

Wait for it..... Wait for it....

Neither can you

You can't prove that God does them either. What you propose (Atheists having to disprove it) is a pure and simple burden of proof fallacy. The onus is on YOU to prove where they come from, if you can't do that you don't believe the claim. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps I should make a list of logical fallacies that people (Christians in particular) use all the time.

Actually there is a lot more evidence to support the fact that these things are manifestations of spiritual activity than there evidence is to disprove it. These things are much more substantial than you give them credit for. And whether you believe or not is irrelevant because you will still suffer under the curse of sin. You will still die and go to your judgment, and if you stick around long enough you might see the anti christ. I'll guarantee you that your disbelief will not shield you from the reality of God or the fulfillment of prophecy. You know yourself that this could all be over in an instant, that's a given. Just take a look at the stuff whizzing by earth. What's stopping us from being hit by an asteroid or something? The end is near to us all. Think about that while you sit around with your ears plugged and your eyes shut. You might as well face it us humans are outta control. When God strikes your disbelief will fail you miserably.

Proverb:1:22: How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Proverb:1:23: Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Proverb:1:24: Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
Proverb:1:25: But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
Proverb:1:26: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
Proverb:1:27: When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Proverb:1:28: Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
Proverb:1:29: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

Sudden and permanent destruction is a whisper away for us all.

mdo757 said:
You do not see the air, but yet you trust that it is there. There are many things that the human body can not feel, taste, smell, hear, touch, or see.

Are you trying to prove something to toddlers? :crazy

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back