Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHY ISN'T THIS GENERATION GETTING MARRIED?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
But I've had my battles before over nonsense teachers have said.

They say a lot of it, and the problem is they get away with it because they are largely talking to kids, and presumed to be "knowledgeable" because most of their students aren't all that well educated coming in. Their arguments can be utterly dismantled intellectually, only they will not allow it for long because they're in the positions of authority.

This is why the children of Christians need to be educated well by their parents in advance, know that stuff will be coming, and be able to dismiss it when it does.

Jordan Peterson talks about this. He says that women are lied to regarding the satisfaction of job over family and realize it too late. As it is, a woman has few years to find a mate because of biology. If she educated herself, the years lengthen while she’s doing this and then possibilities are even further reduced. Many universities have a female to make ratio of 2 to 1, so that narrows it further. Eventually she is competing against younger females as well. The higher her education, the less the chances of finding a male and having a family.

When I was in college a professor reported on a study done that found the highest number of people being satisfied were married men. The second highest were single women. The third were married women and the most miserable were single men. I can see that.
I wonder why Soldiers had a laugh over the above?

I would tend to agree. Especially the last paragraph.
Maybe Soldiers is laughing at the highest number of people being married men....

This goes back pretty deep into our society in the West devaluing traditional values and saying they weren't progressive or forward thinking enough to advanced society, primarily women, and were a hindrance.

I think Riven touched on it from a male's perspective, but I'd say the male perspective has gradually come about due to the female perspective and society's coddling of said perspective because of the hyper man hating feminist movement.

What the culture says to girls - young women: "Being a mom is slavery. Being a wife is slavery. You don't NEED a man to do anything. (There are vids of young girls foolishly saying they could have children, absolutely without any men. When the guys and girls tried to explain to them where sperm came from, they still didn't get it. This is one example of the extreme.) Get married when you've fulfilled all of your career goals. Be like men. Get married to your career, there will always be a "fantasy romance man" there waiting to marry you whenever you're ready. Cooking and cleaning are beneath you, that's slavery! Submissiveness is slavery! Men are all evil, lustful beasts, lying in wait in the dark corners of everywhere looking to take advantage of you and the patriarchy will help them get away with it. Sleep with as many men as you want, it's what men do. Don't let them slut shame you, girl! Where the clothes that make you feel better, those men better not look at you! If he leaves take him for everything he has. If you hit him, he can't do anything because it will be seen as abuse. If you abuse him no one will believe him. Girls rule the world! You deserve an ultra high value man, have your standards in the clouds of fantasy land, there's someone out there that will meet them. You don't really have to meet a man's standards, men shouldn't have standards, that's misogynistic. You did something wrong? Don't worry about it. Here, we'll give you a super light sentence compared to what he got. Etc. Etc. Most damaging of all for certain communities is the government will pay you to have children so long as there's not a man in the house. So, young woman who likely got her values and principles from public schools and her peer group, go forth and never get married to your children's fathers because you will get a monthly stipend, magic government money to buy food, free or super cheap housing. Oh, warning: Once you start trying to do anything to better yourself, you might get kicked off of all these programs once you get your first check from your new job. Depends on where you live."

Starting to see a pattern?

What the culture says to boys - young men: "You're too toxic (if he acts like a boy). You're too aggressive (if he acts like a boy). Here, let's put you on this drug to make you calm down (if he acts like a boy, although, to be fair, they don't do this as much as they used to when I was growing up). Women don't need men. Women don't need you to do anything for them at all. Women only want you for money. Women only want you to make babies with them and then go away and then pay them money (child support). Even if you can prove the woman isn't fit to raise the children, family court will still give her the children and make you pay her and the government money (child support). You're worthless. Society no longer needs you. You're only worth anything when you give women money. You're only worth anything when you die, but not really, after you die we will dig up everything wrong about you and drag your name through the mud (to be fair, they do this to women who don't think right also). We don't want you to be masculine, but we want you to be masculine when we want you to. We don't want you to be traditional unless we need protection, then we want you to be traditional and come protect us. How dare you call yourself the leader of your home, that's misogynistic. How dare you have standards for the type of woman you want, that's misogynistic. How dare you say you want a woman to be a homemaker, that's slavery. How dare you say you want a woman with traditional values you racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic [insert every current year buzz word in the book, especially if said male is of the light skin color group membership] Etc. Etc. Etc. Most damaging of all for certain communities is, the government will pay her to have children so long as you are not the man in the house. So, young man who was likely raised by busy parents and got his values and principles on life primarily from public school and his peer groups, go forth and make many, many, many children out of wedlock."

So, the overarching problem is culture. Culture influences everything. Culture removes one parent from the home, creates a two parent working household which leaves the children to be raised by strangers by way of public schools and their peers. Busy parents working to pay bills in a two-working-household economy that's been around since women fought to go to work, these busy parents often don't make time to instill in their children traditional values like "get married to the right person" because they were the product of busy parents who didn't do that.

Speaking for myself. I grew up in a divorced home. My mom remarried, and spent all her time in a combative relationship. Yes, one time, after I got big enough I had to jump on my step father cause he hit my mom. It wasn't a regular occurrence and after he and I got into it, he never did that again. At least, not in my presence. Don't really know what he was thinking when he did. He was drunk. I digress. The point I'm making is that you have children like me, who get their idea of a relationship from a combination of broken households with bad relationships, their friends, and the culture: music, television, movies, etc. The latter which form fantasy ideas or very, very, very bad ideas in their mind on what a relationship should be or simply how to use the opposite sex for personal gain, etc.

It's a problem that would be very difficult to fix as current trending social culture in the West is very much against any sort of traditional value system. It sees it as regressive. Despite the flaws of the progressive value system that has been advanced in Western culture for decades. Despite the harm it does to women and men.

I mean it's so bad that despite my Christian beliefs I'm thinking of telling my son and three daughters to just never consider getting married, but at the same time I want to tell my three daughters to trash the feminism if they want to find decent men, but will have to also warn them that most young men have checked out due to the way society has robbed men of having a voice.
Wow BroRoy....not much left to say.
I grew up with feminism. I mean, I remember (slightly) before it and after it.
I knew from the beginning that it would bring to no good. So many women I knew back when it began got divorced because their husband wasn't used to all this new stuff that was going on...women refusing to take care of the house, the children, wanting "time off", etc. Men had to get used to it. Now the women are becoming men and the men are becoming women. Look at the current fashion trend...straight lines, no curves, ultra skinny women, no breasts allowed...it's depressing.

But how far can it go at this pace?
We're against traditional values...where will it all lead?
It just gets worse and worse.
Oh my gosh. I remember when I used to argue that women and men had roles.
ROLES! The other women were ready to pounce on me!
So now we have to work (because men's pay went down) AND take care of the house and kids.

But what you said is true. My own grandchildren in NY got raised by some type of school. If I was over there this would never have happened. But, they say it's the new way and it's good for the kids to play all day and spend time with their little peers. So what if their parents never teach them what values they'd like to. Maybe they don't have any values.

Thanks for a great post.

Agreed, only in Christ two such people are supposed to separate, with the hopes they can get their heads together and maybe work things out on the next go around.

I see very little wrong with separation, because it gives time and space to gain a better persecutive. And as they say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" instead of increasingly resentful. But for the unsaved, many just scrap the whole thing, or make the mistake of seeing someone else. Bad idea.

But being alone (i.e. separated for a time) can be a blessing in many ways, as you are more free to serve the Lord Jesus Christ, and when that's the reason, it becomes a positive rather than a negative, as you often become a better person in the process.
My aunt didn't mean to separate. There was no such thing in her day.
She meant that it's better to be alone than with a partner that abuses you in some way.

As to being separated for a while...I don't know if I agree with that.
Do persons ever get back together? Sounds like an excuse to get divorce going.

It was kind of tongue in cheek. Last resort meaning they're getting older and certain things take priority over others. That can be health, a desire for stability, or a career.

I myself have been approached by 40-something women who were very upfront about wanting to find a stable guy to settle down with that can provide them with financial security and the whole family thing. Which is fine, most of them were good looking, but they had kids from previous marriages or outside of a marriage. Which is not something I would be interested in.

It can also work in the reverse. You get married young, have a couple kids, and a dog. One that doesn't poop in your hat.
LOL

At some point, the woman gets bored. You're an older guy now and maybe you just don't do it for her anymore.

Now she wants the young 20-something that doesn't even have a career or any ambition whatsoever. But he's a surfer and he gives her the tingles. So she files for divorce, she gets the kids because of course, and she also gets half of everything her husband worked for.
Yeah. But how long could THAT relationship last?
I don't think women think of younger men the way men think of younger women.
I'm not sure. Maybe EVERYTHING has changed!

But what you're saying is sad stuff.
It confirms the idea that persons just think about themselves and there's no commitment.
Women used to make jokes about how men hate the C word...
They feel the same until it's too late, is what you're saying.
They also don't want to commit until all the other "stuff" is out of the way: Careers, travel, etc.

So here you are with a mortgage payment, vehicle payments, insurance, the whole thing, your wife has left you for a loser, and you only get to see your kids on the weekends. You also have to live with the mental image of surfer guy slapping her thigh and ridding the wave in.

If we could go back to the 50's, I would love to get married. Women back then were more stable and trustworthy. They took marriage very seriously. It really was a commitment for life. But now it isn't. It's more like an item on a check list. It's the thing that women want to do at least once, you know, because of the dress, all eyes being on them, the gigantic wedding cake, the honey moon, and all of this sort of thing.

So really, the guy is the one taking all the risk here. In any divorce proceeding the deck is stacked against him. And I think a lot of guys these days are aware of this and they're not getting involved in this mess. They can read the divorce statistics in America. I can't speak for other countries, but here it is... definitive.
No wonder men aren't keen on getting married.
And the women blame them!

It's bad here too. In the big cities it's the same.
In the smaller places it's about 20 years behind the times.
I love the little places.

Yeah, I guess it is. Although it's based on being the guy who's on the outside looking in. Never married and everyone I know has been married and divorced several times. Been through it myself when I was a kid and it's really not a pleasant experience.

I see the potential value in marriage of the two people stay together. I wasn't trying to denigrate marriage with my original post or anyone that's married. It was more of a reaction to seeing what a divorce does to a family.
Yes. I understood you.
You weren't denigrading marriage.
It sounds like you are becrying its downfall...

Do persons ever get back together?

That appears to have been Paul's intention in allowing for it (separation, that is):

Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. (1 Corinthians 7)

Now we denigrate women who stay at home .

No one will die grateful for the largess they made and alone in it .

My dad never made as much as my mom .I dont think of him for his jobs though I have made a video on one and a place I associated with a nearby church and apts.
I think of dad when I say or hear of things he said or liked.food also being one.i went out for Italian dinner .dad loved veal .I thought of him when I was ordering .

My aunt didn't mean to separate. There was no such thing in her day.
She meant that it's better to be alone than with a partner that abuses you in some way.

Do persons ever get back together? Sounds like an excuse to get divorce going.
As followers of Christ, forgiveness is better than resentment which is the result of refusing to forgive.

If we thought this life is all there is, one could understand refusing to live it with that partner. But as believers we’re supposed to believe that there is a better life coming.

You know, I thought about the reluctance to marry and can understand this from a guy’s viewpoint after seeing so many break-ups where the man was devastated and the “woman wiped her mouth and says I’ve done no wrong.” I think the difference is a woman having the firm commitment to do the will of God above her own will. This is likely the key. This I never hear taught at church anymore. It’s all “God is here to make you happier.”

That appears to have been Paul's intention in allowing for it (separation, that is):

Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. (1 Corinthians 7)
Isn't the above speaking about divorce?
I was talking about separating...
I think Paul is speaking about divorce...

Isn't the above speaking about divorce?
I was talking about separating...

Separation.
τοῖς δὲ γεγαμηκόσιν παραγγέλλω, οὐκ ἐγὼ ἀλλὰ ὁ κύριος, γυναῖκα ἀπὸ ἀνδρὸς μὴ χωρισθῆναι. ἐὰν δὲ καὶ χωρισθῇ, μενέτω ἄγαμος ἢ τῷ ἀνδρὶ καταλλαγήτω καὶ ἄνδρα γυναῖκα μὴ ἀφιέναι. (1 Corinthians 7:10-11)

If He was talking about divorce, Paul would have used other words. ἀπολύω ("put her away") is used in several places where Jesus was teaching about actual divorce (Matthew 5:32, Matthew 19:3-9), and ἀποστάσιον when he was talking about "writing a bill of divorcement" (Matthew 5:31).

Blessings to you, btw, and hope you're having a nice evening : )

You sir are 100 percent correct about that. We get the shortv end of the stick but at l least sec have rum.

I was trying to make out your friend there, but the end of that sentence was beyond me.

And "getting the shorty end of the stick" sounded a little derogatory.

I laughed because the most miserable is single men...
I think this is what I would have believed to be true.
Basically, I just think a man needs a woman more to organize his life and run a household.
Of course, from reading these posts, I'm beginning to feel that no one is running the household and people just live together for convenience sake.

Women seem better able to live alone.
They seem better able to take care of themselves...even, like, if they're sick.

You know, I thought about the reluctance to marry and can understand this from a guy’s viewpoint after seeing so many break-ups where the man was devastated and the “woman wiped her mouth and says I’ve done no wrong.” I think the difference is a woman having the firm commitment to do the will of God above her own will. This is likely the key. This I never hear taught at church anymore. It’s all “God is here to make you happier.”
How about this idea:
Whoever dissolves the marriage is responsible for their own finances.
Including child support.
UNLESS the party leaving could prove that he/she was actually abused.

A guy leaves for a gal, he gets to pay.
A woman leaves for a guy, she gets to pay.
(or any other reason for leaving.)

They become cat ladies. I knew one once that was in her 60's. Never married, but she had over 50 cats living with her.

Me and my friend used to play street hockey in an abandoned lot next to her house. For three weeks we smelled the stench of death. We didn't think much of it because critters die and you just get on with it.

By the end of the third week, it was still there and it was worse. We went up to the house and the smell was very strong. I knocked on the door and no one answered. We contacted the authorities. They found her dead and her body being eaten by the starving cats.

Something straight out of a horror movie. Don't become a cat lady. Get a dog.

I think this is what I would have believed to be true.
Basically, I just think a man needs a woman more to organize his life and run a household.
Of course, from reading these posts, I'm beginning to feel that no one is running the household and people just live together for convenience sake.

Soldiers

What does the military training of the army and Marines boil down too.?
How to be professionally homeless .

I don't need a fancy garden ,bed .just a woobie and sleeping bag and tools.

Guns to hunts,knives to filet and a fire pit to cook .

Back