Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WIndows Apostate

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Sounds like a "go" to me. Back up your personal files on a schtick and Linux can read them after an install. I use Ubuntu here, but I am hearing rave reviews about Linux MINT as one of the most user friendly Linux distro if coming from Windows. My son, who is working on his Masters toward computer science, recommends that. Once this computer crashes and I have another one, I will try that next, but so far I love this one too much as long as it's working fine like it is.

I only have limited experience with Ubuntu, and live CD disto Knoppix. There's so many flavors of Linux it's hard to choose.

Can I simply add Linux to my existing drives and leave the windoz and all other files there ?

Can I simply add Linux to my existing drives and leave the windoz and all other files there ?

Yep. You can do a properties on your disks to see how much space you are using, and you can allot some to Linux and some additional to MS. How much (or what drive) is a decision you'll have to make, and you can check online for suggestions.

When you pop in a Linux CD operating system disk (or if you have a newer computer you can even use a USB port to load the operating system), if I remember correctly, there's basically 4 choices you have (not in this order necessarily):

1) It detects an operating system and you can do nothing (cancel) -- I guess that's in case your kid inserts it by accident or something - LOL)
2) It asks if you want to run it as a live CD over the operating system it detected, and it will be unaffected, and when you remove the disk, the Linux will be gone. This is good for trying it out.
3) It asks if you want to install Linux along side of the present operating system (in which subsequent questions will ask how much drive partition you want to allot to the Linux)
4) It asks if you want to remove the operating system and destroy everything, and install Linux over it.

Sounds to me that you want to install Linux alongside of Microsoft (#3), but if you are really skittish, you can try to run it as a live CD (#2) to see how you like the Linux. Keep in mind, though, the computer is running off your CD and RAM only, and it will be slower-- a little faster if it's a USB stick. Also, once you shut down the computer, nothing is saved unless you back it up to another disk, the stick or whatever. It's a trial session only!

If you decide on running it along side of Microsoft, then each time you boot there will be a menu asking which operating system you want to run. If you choose Microsoft, then it will boot that way and things will be transparent, running as always. If you choose Linux, then it will boot up in Linux and you will in effect have a separate computer, because each operating system runs off it's own partition. That's something people don't realize that by partitioning a hard drive you are in effect making it several each partition for whatever purpose you created it for.

Yep. You can do a properties on your disks to see how much space you are using, and you can allot some to Linux and some additional to MS. How much (or what drive) is a decision you'll have to make, and you can check online for suggestions.

When you pop in a Linux CD operating system disk (or if you have a newer computer you can even use a USB port to load the operating system), if I remember correctly, there's basically 4 choices you have (not in this order necessarily):

1) It detects an operating system and you can do nothing (cancel) -- I guess that's in case your kid inserts it by accident or something - LOL)
2) It asks if you want to run it as a live CD over the operating system it detected, and it will be unaffected, and when you remove the disk, the Linux will be gone. This is good for trying it out.
3) It asks if you want to install Linux along side of the present operating system (in which subsequent questions will ask how much drive partition you want to allot to the Linux)
4) It asks if you want to remove the operating system and destroy everything, and install Linux over it.

Sounds to me that you want to install Linux alongside of Microsoft (#3), but if you are really skittish, you can try to run it as a live CD (#2) to see how you like the Linux. Keep in mind, though, the computer is running off your CD and RAM only, and it will be slower-- a little faster if it's a USB stick. Also, once you shut down the computer, nothing is saved unless you back it up to another disk, the stick or whatever. It's a trial session only!

If you decide on running it along side of Microsoft, then each time you boot there will be a menu asking which operating system you want to run. If you choose Microsoft, then it will boot that way and things will be transparent, running as always. If you choose Linux, then it will boot up in Linux and you will in effect have a separate computer, because each operating system runs off it's own partition. That's something people don't realize that by partitioning a hard drive you are in effect making it several each partition for whatever purpose you created it for.

Cool thanks i'm looking into it. I found a site about installing linux and TOG's on it :biggrin

Productivity
Getting Started With Linux: How To Install Linux On Your Computer
Whitson Gordon 3 March 2011 1:00 PM
Share 102 Discuss 8 Bookmark

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/0...-linux-how-to-install-linux-on-your-computer/

:clap:clap:clap

You now get the official award given to those who do not let the Linux advice go in one ear and out the other, and are not any longer amongst those who complain about viruses and other computer shenanigans. :rofl2

Ta :) I don't complain about the viruses but I must admit I do complain about the people who spy on my emails and the like etc. :biggrin Suma suma

Well, I'm almost finished saving for my new Windows computer. I know what you're going to ay, but I need windows for Adobe products. Yes, I cold get a Macbook, and I almost decided to, but I need an optical drive and I'm not spending money on the top models and on top of that $100 on their super drive. Nope, not getting sucked into that!

But in the meantime, I have installed Mint 16 on my netbook alongside Win7. So far I like it, and it is a much more efficient use of computer resources. I just wish it had more compatibility, for example OneDrive isn't on there, nor is Adobe suite, nor are drivers for my graphics card so when I connect to my external monitor I have to run in fallback mode.

I dare say Linux will only get better with these issues, and I look forward to that day. But it's not here yet.

Well, I'm almost finished saving for my new Windows computer. I know what you're going to ay, but I need windows for Adobe products. Yes, I cold get a Macbook, and I almost decided to, but I need an optical drive and I'm not spending money on the top models and on top of that $100 on their super drive. Nope, not getting sucked into that!

But in the meantime, I have installed Mint 16 on my netbook alongside Win7. So far I like it, and it is a much more efficient use of computer resources. I just wish it had more compatibility, for example OneDrive isn't on there, nor is Adobe suite, nor are drivers for my graphics card so when I connect to my external monitor I have to run in fallback mode.

I dare say Linux will only get better with these issues, and I look forward to that day. But it's not here yet.
Just this Friday I got my New HP 400-224 Slim Line AMD Quad Core w/6 gigs of RAM dual booted with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. Both are 64 bit and both are installed under the newer UEFI rather than the Legacy BIOS. If you folks are going to move into the 64 bit world, strongly recommended, you will want to consider the model before you purchase and research the install procedures. In the case of my new HP, the first in 19 years that I have not built, because of the speed of the boot, the ESC key though not to be held down steadily, must be repeatedly pressed until the HP Flash Screen disappears you must stop pressing the second round of this procedure or you'll never be able to select the DVD drive for booting. Look everything over to determine if you are running in BIOS or UEFI and placing the install disk into the drive, reboot.

Once more I tapped the ESC and after several ventures to far, followed by reboots, I finally quit tapping and there was was the boot selection screen. I selected the DVD, continued booting and followed the seven steps to a sucessful install of Ubuntu 14.04. sounds easy right? It was after I got past the mistakes. Before I( could do the install I found that we mustuse the HDD Tools found in the Control Panel inside of Windoze 8 and resize, a.k.a. shrink, the partition that windoze is mounted on and if you are installing in UEFI mode I'm instructed that it supports 128 partitons, loosing the four partition max of BIOS so we are not to worry any more about the partition issue.

I have come to prefer the Linux Mint w/ the Cinnamon Desktop but 16 and the latest release 17 did not want to boot under the UEFI system the windoze 8.1 already had 4 partitons already and being the local, friendly Tech that works for free, I need the stupid, over priced, 8 OS to explore when I'm not busy working something my Pastor has to get done or repairing somebodies broken 'Puter, making a unit for a kid from the stripped units I receive from folks or preparing my next Sunday Lesson. (Some knot head told me retirement was boring!) But when I tried the latest LTS version of Ubuntu, I had no issues on the install.

The only issue I had was minor but being a nit picker I did not approve of the 1024x768 or the 800x600 selections for my 27 inch wide screen. Using Ctrl+Alt+t I then typed "lspci" without the quotes and learned I was running a Raedon HD 8330 and then I installed the priority driver and have about 10 settings when I rebooted. Because my sight is failing, rather quickly, my wife mounted the screen so it swings over my lap from the wall and I selected 1280x720 as apposed to any of the larger numbers that will work well for better sighted people.

Does my wife love me, you betcha she does. I also now have a wireless hand held track ball mouse and a velvet touch wireless Keyboard, important for anyone with advance MS. I be one happy man! And as soom as the Mint Team stops doing away with the UEFI support, I might just return to it. As it is, I still prefer synaptic to the Ubuntu Software Center and I installed, right off, and typed gnome-desk into the quick search and installed gnome. On reboot I clicked on the circle of Life icon in the block where the password goes and selected the version of Gnome I prefer by trial and reboot until I arrived at the legacy version with the twin Task Bars and except my Start (Applications) is at the top left, it is much like windoze for operation.

Happy virusless and blue screen of deathless computing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back