Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

25 quotes on Calvinism

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do I have to WANT that new heart?

Am I capable of RESISTING God's grace or MUST I accept it?

AM I A PUPPET OR NOT???
No, its not a matter of what the sinner wants, its what God wanted. Does a dead person have to want to be made alive? No their wants doesnt even matter. When Jesus raised up lazarus from the dead as an example, it wasnt a matter of what lazarus wanted, but a demonstration of the love and power and Grace and Glory of God. See Salvation is for Gods Glory, not for what man wants or doesnt want

No, its not a matter of what the sinner wants, its what God wanted. Does a dead person have to want to be made alive? No their wants doesnt even matter. When Jesus raised up lazarus from the dead as an example, it wasnt a matter of what lazarus wanted, but a demonstration of the love and power and Grace and Glory of God. See Salvation is for Gods Glory, not for what man wants or doesnt want
Lazarus
Lazarus

What does Lazarus have to do with any calvinist discussion?

He was physically dead.

Is that the same like being spiritually dead?

What VERSE do you believe states that man is so depraved as to make him UNABLE to choose God?

It'll probably be one we've discussed before, but I'm willing to do this again.

Know why?

Nowhere does the NT state what you think it does.

Lazarus
Lazarus

What does Lazarus have to do with any calvinist discussion?

He was physically dead.

Is that the same like being spiritually dead?

What VERSE do you believe states that man is so depraved as to make him UNABLE to choose God?

It'll probably be one we've discussed before, but I'm willing to do this again.

Know why?

Nowhere does the NT state what you think it does.
Yes Lazarus, it pictures man dead in sin, by nature the elect of God lie dead in sin until quickend Eph 2:5

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

Jesus told his sisters, Lazarus is dead Jn 11 14

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

IF God is CHANGING my will, HOW is that not tampering with my free will?
I can't go into this as when I asked you to define "FREE" will you could not give a complete definition. As I recall you defined "will" as the ability to chose but were unable to define the "FREE" part of free will.

You did not chose your parents, culture you were born in, sex, health, to have a sin nature, yada, yada, yada ... your will is not free (again, you can't define "free" so no sense going deeper). These are just a few clear examples of God "tampering" with you will.

Tampering with your will verses:

Psalm 33:10 The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nought; He makes the thoughts and plans of the peoples of no effect.

Psalm 33:15 He Who fashions the hearts of them all, Who considers all their doings.

Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

Before you are saved, the only free will you have is to sin.

The choices and so-called "good" works that the unregenerate do are motivated by sin, and that sin is pride.

One is actually free only after Holy Spiritrgenerates them.

Does a Christian still have a selfish motive in doing good things? Yes.

The difference is that a Christian is motivated on doing what is right in God's eyes.

When we are walking by the Spirit we are doing (delighting) in God's will.

He puts His desire in us.

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in Yahweh; And He will give you the desires of your heart.

You will need to disprove all the scriptures I used in post 119, saying men could live without sinning, to prove your point.
You said I am wrong and that goes against the TOS.

You broke a rule on this forum and have missed the mark.

I find it odd that those who beleive in Calvinism all think they will be saved, but can't tell me how they know that .
Is it just faith in Calvin, whose ideas came hundreds of years after the apostles wrote of how we can tell ?
That sounds like faith in Calvin, instead of faith in Christ.
You do not understand the doctrines of grace.

You have made it clear that Jesus Christ is not God come in the flesh and that you are sinless.

Many members here have debunked your claims multiple times.

You are spreading a false gospel on this forum.

I will not longer respond to you.

GodsGrace

Correct, and who doeth truth except one who has been regenerated ?Thats who comes to the light, which manifests they have been wrought on by God

Do you think an unregenerate sinner, dead in sin,who loves darkness rather than light, all the sudden begin to practice the truth and comes to the light ??
Here's what I think BF.

I think what the verse states:
Here it is again:

John 3:19-21
19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Here's what the above says without reading anything into it.
I don't like to ADD to scripture....it seems to me to be perfect as it is.
And, we've been told NOT TO ADD anything to scripture by John Himself in the book of REVELATION.
Revelation 22:18
18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

John 3:19
Persons whose deeds are evil to not like the light.
They prefer to stay in the darkness.

3:20
If persons doing evil come into the light, their evil deeds will be exposed.
So they like to stay in the darkness.

3:21
Those who live by God's truth come into the light because it's plainly seen that what they do can be done in the sight of God because it is what God desires of his sons.

Where do the above 3 verses speak about :
REGERNATION
SOME PERSON SUDDENLY BEGINNING TO PRACTICE THE TRUTH

It SIMPLY states that those who do evil stay/hide in darkness.
Those who LIVE BY GOD'S TRUTH come into the light.

They come into the light BECAUSE what they are doing is practicing THE TRUTH.
DOING GOOD COME FIRST
COMING IN TO THE LIGHT COMES SECOND.

Not only do you ADD words and concepts to verses,
but you don't even get the ORDER correct.

Please explain how John 3:19-21 is speaking about regeneration and coming into the light and THEN doing good.

You do not understand the doctrines of grace
It may be possible that I don't understand your version of the doctrines of grace.
You have made it clear that Jesus Christ is not God come in the flesh and that you are sinless.
As it is written that it was the Word that took on flesh, (John 1:14), the Word gave up His 'God' status in order to experience life, and death with men.
Many members here have debunked your claims multiple times.
They have tried, but have been unsuccessful.
You are spreading a false gospel on this forum.
There is only one gospel...that Jesus died for our sins and was raised from the dead three days later. (1 Cor 15:4)
I will not longer respond to you.
Se le vie...

Here's what I think BF.

I think what the verse states:
Here it is again:

John 3:19-21
19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Here's what the above says without reading anything into it.
I don't like to ADD to scripture....it seems to me to be perfect as it is.
And, we've been told NOT TO ADD anything to scripture by John Himself in the book of REVELATION.
Revelation 22:18
18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

John 3:19
Persons whose deeds are evil to not like the light.
They prefer to stay in the darkness.

3:20
If persons doing evil come into the light, their evil deeds will be exposed.
So they like to stay in the darkness.

3:21
Those who live by God's truth come into the light because it's plainly seen that what they do can be done in the sight of God because it is what God desires of his sons.

Where do the above 3 verses speak about :
REGERNATION
SOME PERSON SUDDENLY BEGINNING TO PRACTICE THE TRUTH

It SIMPLY states that those who do evil stay/hide in darkness.
Those who LIVE BY GOD'S TRUTH come into the light.

They come into the light BECAUSE what they are doing is practicing THE TRUTH.
DOING GOOD COME FIRST
COMING IN TO THE LIGHT COMES SECOND.

Not only do you ADD words and concepts to verses,
but you don't even get the ORDER correct.

Please explain how John 3:19-21 is speaking about regeneration and coming into the light and THEN doing good.
Again, he that doeth truth has been born of God, otherwise man loves darkness rather than light, its pretty simple.

Hopeful 2

There is only one gospel...that Jesus died for our sins and was raised from the dead three days later. (1 Cor 15:4)

Who is Christ according to the Gospel, whose sins did He specifically die for ? What did His dying for their sins accomplish for them He died for ? The Gospel isn't just spouting out that one historical fact without explaining it in detail.

Finally.
Here, sit back and eat some popcorn with me.
Francis Turretin:
External calling reveals the prescriptive will of God, not the decretive.
(2) That [external] calling is not such as to lay open the secret counsel of God concerning the salvation of this or that person, but only to prescribe in general to man his duty and set forth the infallible way of salvation (and they who follow this will necessarily be saved). In both God acts in the best faith, for he both prescribes most truly to man his duty and teaches the sole way of salvation, and most sincerely promises a blessing to the one doing his duty. Therefore he promises nothing which he does not will to give. For as he promises only to the one having the condition, so he also wills and intends to give salvation only to the believer and denounces punishment against the unbeliever.
The External Call is not presented in the same manner.
Although the external call is presented as much to the reprobate as to the elect, yet it is not presented in the same manner.

To the latter, it has reference primarily, directly and principally. For by it he intends their faith and salvation; on account of them, he has instituted the ministry and provides for the preaching of the gospel, so that the scattered sons of God may be gathered (John 11:52), and the church collected and edified (Eph. 4:11-12), which would not have been done if there had been no elect in the world. Hence he does not call them only imperatively, but also operatively (by working in them by his Spirit the condition itself).

“But it has reference to the former only secondarily and indirectly because they are mixed with the elect (whom God intends by the word to bring out of the world unto salvation). Not that salvation may be said to be destined for them by God conditionally, but only that their duty is prescribed to them and the way of salvation exhibited. There does not cease therefore to be a multiple end of that calling with regard to them
(although God has not decreed, nor intends, that they should respond to it and be saved). As legislator, he wills to prescribe to them their duty; as Lord, he wills kindly to show them the way of salvation; as Judge, he wills to convict them of contumacy and rebellion and to render them inexcusable.”

Iconoclast

(2) That [external] calling is not such as to lay open the secret counsel of God concerning the salvation of this or that person, but only to prescribe in general to man his duty and set forth the infallible way of salvation (and they who follow this will necessarily be saved).

So is this duty faith ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back