Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Abomination that causes Desolation

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JohnDB

In Matthew the Olivet discord it has a footnote.(let the reader understand)

We know it happened around 66AD.

Why did it include the footnote?

Is that a prophesy of both mid and distant future?

If it was to metaphorically happen today what would that look like?

Something like this?

Daniel 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

Something like this?

Daniel 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
That's a description of the Antichrist...
Not the subject of this thread...
This one is about the "Abomination that causes desolation" in the Olivet discourse.

The abomination of desolation in Matthew 24:15 was 1260 years (a year is as a day with the Lord) of Papal Rome rule from 538AD with Emperor Justinian’s decree and under the military protection of Belisarius and the beast until the deadly wound came in 1798 by General Berthier who made his entrance into Rome and abolished the papal government and established a secular one. This is also confirmed in Revelation 12:6 the church of Jesus would hide in the wilderness for exactly 1260 days (years) or 3 ½ years. This was the time when Rome persecuted the Christians and killed them which were around 500 million saints slain for the cause of their faith in Jesus. 1798 – 538 = 1260 days/years. Napoleon had closed down the Catholic Church and the Papacy, its power was thought to be forever broken. The wound was largely healed in 1929 when Mussolini gave the Vatican back to the Pope and established it as a country in it's own right in the Lateran Treaty.

The abomination of desolation in Matthew 24:15 was 1260 years (a year is as a day with the Lord) of Papal Rome rule from 538AD with Emperor Justinian’s decree and under the military protection of Belisarius and the beast until the deadly wound came in 1798 by General Berthier who made his entrance into Rome and abolished the papal government and established a secular one. This is also confirmed in Revelation 12:6 the church of Jesus would hide in the wilderness for exactly 1260 days (years) or 3 ½ years. This was the time when Rome persecuted the Christians and killed them which were around 500 million saints slain for the cause of their faith in Jesus. 1798 – 538 = 1260 days/years. Napoleon had closed down the Catholic Church and the Papacy, its power was thought to be forever broken. The wound was largely healed in 1929 when Mussolini gave the Vatican back to the Pope and established it as a country in it's own right in the Lateran Treaty.
Never heard any of this ever before applied in such a fashion. (And some of it never before)

So 66AD isn't on your radar screen?
Not the Golden Roman Eagle put over the gate?

Huh....

Two different thread hijackings on one simple subject...

"The Abomination That Causes Desolation"

Obviously I am the only one with courage enough to start a thread to discuss a simple thing. Everyone else wants to talk about everything else.

Not hijacking anything. You asked a question and I gave an answer to what I believe it was. Maybe you need to explain what you believe it is instead of condemning others for what they believe it is.

Not hijacking anything. You asked a question and I gave an answer to what I believe it was. Maybe you need to explain what you believe it is instead of condemning others for what they believe it is.
Well what you are claiming is definitely not the norm in Christiandom.

Never heard anything like this before and some of the history you are trying to relate I have never heard before.

So...
Since I have "been around the block" a few times... And this is new news to me...
You are going to have to give a "Cliff Notes" version and make a case why this is the "Abomination that causes Desolation" that Jesus was referring to and has a footnote also saying "let the reader understand" instead of the Roman Golden Eagle placed over the Gate to the Temple in 66AD that Menalaus and friends cut down, got executed for, and subsequently the riot, and the seige that lasted for three and a half years.

The last 'Holy Place' was destroyed about 70 ad. In my opinio a place can not be Holy if He aint there.. He is not in a temple built by man..

The last 'Holy Place' was destroyed about 70 ad. In my opinion a place can not be Holy if He aint there.. He is not in a temple built by man..

But...why then was the "footnote" included with the scripture of "let the reader understand"?

Who was Daniel written to so the understand would be to those reading..
Daniel was written to those understaning Aramaic and Hebrew...because it was written in two languages and by two people. The only "Gentile" to add a section of the Old Testament.

It's not a footnote in my NIV. It is included right in the text.

I ran across this:
What we're looking at here is a reference to the abomination of desolation, a phrase which one encounters in Daniel 11:31. What's the abomination of desolation? Well, when Antiochus Epiphanes (Syrian ruler in the 160s B.C.) attempted to take over Israel and exterminate the practice of Judaism in the process, he set up idols in the Second Temple in Jerusalem, and sacrificed pigs on the altar. This was referred to in the apocryphal book of First Maccabees 1:54 as the abomination of desolation -- something so abominable that it implied a desolation (meaning that a desolation had just occurred, or was about to occur). Antiochus Epiphanes was repulsed in the Maccabean War, and when the dust cleared, the independent Hasmonean dynasty was in charge of Israel. But the people never forgot what Antiochus Epiphanes had done in the Temple. Jews today still celebrate the occasion of the temples re-dedication after Antiochus defeat, at Hanukkah.

Matthew's phrase Let the reader understand is just a heads-up to remind his readers about the sort of thing that was described as an abomination of desolation in the past. The idea is that even though Antiochus Epiphanes was defeated, the people of God have not seen the last of the abomination of desolation. Jesus predicted that such a thing will once again occur. But Jesus did not specify exactly what form this recurrence would take. He left it up to the people who would be living when it occurred to identify it (and thus remain vigilant against similar but less noteworthy evils).

Theres more to the picture: The phrase let the reader understand appears here in Matthew probably because it appeared in the early draft of the Gospel of Mark which Matthew used as a source. In Mark 13:14 -- or rather, in the part of the floating composition which was incorporated into the Gospel of Mark so as to later be known as Mark 13:14 -- the phrase may have appeared to alert readers to the possibility that they would be well-advised to keep their eyes open for the abomination of desolation to recur.

(There was an persistent tension in Jerusalem in those days about the presence or absence of Roman insignia and such on the Temple-grounds. The Romans wanted their insignia and/or statues there to remind the Jews who was in charge, while the Jewish leaders refused to allow them there, on the grounds that the Roman eagles and such were graven images. Josephus preserved some interesting stories illustrating the determination of both sides to frustrate the other.)

Never heard any of this ever before applied in such a fashion. (And some of it never before)

So 66AD isn't on your radar screen?
Not the Golden Roman Eagle put over the gate?

Huh....

Two different thread hijackings on one simple subject...

"The Abomination That Causes Desolation"

Obviously I am the only one with courage enough to start a thread to discuss a simple thing. Everyone else wants to talk about everything else.
Oh,continue,titus,the image of titus

Back