Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are Christians called to be Holy and Perfect?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I will throw this into the mix.

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
1 John 3:7

It seems that the first century Apostles had to deal with the teaching that because we are in Christ, we are automatically righteous even if we walk in open blatant sin, which seems to be a teaching that is popular today as well.

John says plainly... let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous.

By saying "let no one deceive you", it seems there were those who were promoting the idea, that a person could practice lawlessness and still somehow be righteous.

Make no mistake it is by the power of His righteous life within us, that we can accomplish this.

Paul says the we as Christians can walk according to the flesh, or according to the Spirit.

The practice of walking according to the Spirit, while living in a physical body whose desires are contrary to the Spirit, has been a great challenge for me, and one that I have had to work at and like Rajesh, I have had to fast and repent, many times to learn some hard lessons, but I have made great progress, and keep my eyes on Him, and spend more and more of my time investing in the things of the Spirit, rather than the things that gratify the desires of my flesh.

It's all by God's grace and power, however I have to do my part in setting my mind on things above, and sowing to the Spirit, rather than the flesh.

In addition, praying in the Spirit, and spending time alone worshiping Him in my prayer closet, are major keys to "keeping myself", so that the enemy is hindered is his effort to deceive and entice me.

We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him. 1 John 5:18

Peter admonishes us in this -

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-11

JLB

aul says the we as Christians can walk according to the flesh, or according to the Spirit.

The practice of walking according to the Spirit, while living in a physical body whose desires are contrary to the Spirit, has been a great challenge for me, and one that I have had to work at and like Rajesh, I have had to fast and repent, many times to learn some hard lessons, but I have made great progress, and keep my eyes on Him, and spend more and more of my time investing in the things of the Spirit, rather than the things that gratify the desires of my flesh.

It's all by God's grace and power, however I have to do my part in setting my mind on things above, and sowing to the Spirit, rather than the flesh.

In addition, praying in the Spirit, and spending time alone worshiping Him in my prayer closet, are major keys to "keeping myself", so that the enemy is hindered is his effort to deceive and entice me.

We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him. 1 John 5:18

Welcome back, brother JLB! Missed you here, am truly gald to see again.
I loved your post for the simple reason that I'm glad many brothers n sisters are now making a conscious effort to walk in the spirit. It's hard! yet so satisfying, so rewarding like nothing else. It would NOT be going too far if I say that Holy Spirit gets " stronger" in me once I subdue the flesh and vice versa when I let my flesh do its thing. I have even experienced a spiritual hedge being formed around me--- when I choose to walk in the spirit and fight the flesh----- for protection against enemy attacks. Its as if the enemy is falling behind..... Like you quoted JLB the verse 1John 5:18.
But I wish not to sound glib or superior for in my eyes I'm a wretched man saved by grace alone, fearful of when will I fall next. But the one who saved me has GREAT expectations from me ( from all of us)---- of turning away from sin and walking the path of righteousness. I have seen ( through my life) how much God goes away from me when I sin. It's like His face falls when I fall. I know in an instant I have hurt Him deep. But Praise be to the Lord that he does forgive after I go down on my face with broken heart hating my sin, my life and myself, and praying for forgiveness. Does He forgive... yes he does. each time i have repented and prayed for forgiveness. That being said I have been hammered HARD each time I have sinned, when I may have opted to NOT ( sin). Yes, he does hammer us that we may understand how important it is to walk in spirit and Holiness vs walking in flesh and sin.
Jesus' kept reminding us to OBEY. Even Paul -- who taught the justification by faith alone gospel---- cautions about possible condemnation if we choose to satisfy fleshly desires
Galatians 6:7-9
" Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. "
Bottomline: We as believers need to make a conscious choice and effort of walking in the Spirit( doing the will of God over ours) and putting to death the works of the flesh. As John the Baptist says
John 3:30

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Why did God/ Christ call us to be Holy and Perfect when he knew we are sinners? What was He exhorting us to do/ be?
[ Please answer in love ] /\
“Be holy, for I am holy.” 1 Peter 1: 16

Matthew 5:48
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
The born-again Christian is Holy and perfect because we have been crucified with Christ, buried with Christ, resurrected with Christ, and seated with Christ in Heavenly places at Gods right hand; far above principalities and powers. Rom. 4:5; 6:3-5; 8:2, Eph. 1:21-22; 2:6-7

The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit mortifies the deed of the flesh by changing my condition into my position which is perfect and Holy because God has declared us justified (not guilt and innocent). Romans 8:13

The only way any man can come to God is by being in Christ which makes them perfect and holy. If you come any other way you are sending strange fire.

Leviticus 10:1-3 King James Version (KJV)

10 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not.

2 And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.

3 Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the Lord spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

This is why a un-saved person can die from taken communion if they are not perfect and holy. 1 Cor. 11:26-34

Last edited:
I know in an instant I have hurt Him deep. But Praise be to the Lord that he does forgive after I go down on my face with broken heart hating my sin, my life and myself, and praying for forgiveness. Does He forgive... yes he does. each time i have repented and prayed for forgiveness.

So true.

Well said brother.

God bless you and keep.

JLB

I cannot be completely sinless - perfect - even with Him living in me because of my sinful nature.

Paul writes it like this
I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.
My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.
1 Cor 4:3-5

So we can never know if we are "sinless" only that we dwell in Christ, follow His ways and our hearts
cry "Abba Father" in all we do. So it appears to be about walking in the light, and staying in the light
and as issues arise dealing with them and focusing on acts of service.

With the Holy Spirit, being washed and cleansed, God calls us Holy and pure, so Amen.

This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
You are my portion, O LORD; I have promised to obey your words.
I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
Psalm 119:56-63

I don't read the 1st Peter verses saying anything about perfect. That not being at issue, the word in the beginning prior to English translation of holy was the Greek, Hagios, which would then translate as righteous, or serving God's word in community as the saints.

I don't read the 1st Peter verses saying anything about perfect. That not being at issue, the word in the beginning prior to English translation of holy was the Greek, Hagios, which would then translate as righteous, or serving God's word in community as the saints.

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: Hebrews 12:14

To me, this speaks of our effort, to go after holiness, to develop a lifestyle, or a walk, that expresses holiness.

Paul says it this way, to the Romans.

But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. Romans 6:22

• you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

The fruit or expression of a life that is pursuing holiness, is holiness.

The purpose of pursuing holiness is obtain holiness.

In my life, It takes first of all God's grace working in me to both will and desire to be holy.

So the basis of my effort, in pursuing holiness, comes from God; from the Spirit within me, working in my heart, inspiring and moving upon me to become holy; To become transformed into the image of God's Son.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2

• that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Also, as I add to my faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge, I also get my mind engaged and involved in this work of pursuing holiness, by studying God's word, to renew my mind to the truth, and discover the will of God, for my life.

When we have both our mind [empowered with God's knowledge, wisdom, and understanding] and our heart [empowered with God's grace and power], joining together in agreement [as touching] with God's will, we have a powerful dynamic, designed to exercise dominion over the sinful desires of our flesh, that we would rule over our flesh, to make it a slave to righteousness, rather than we ourselves becoming a slave to the sin that dwells in our flesh.

If we back up a little in Romans 6, from verse 22, we see Paul explaining this principle.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:12-16

• Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

God bless you as you consider these things.

JLB

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: Hebrews 12:14

To me, this speaks of our effort, to go after holiness, to develop a lifestyle, or a walk, that expresses holiness.

But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. Romans 6:22

In my life, It takes first of all God's grace working in me to both will and desire to be holy.

So the basis of my effort, in pursuing holiness, comes from God; from the Spirit within me, working in my heart, inspiring and moving upon me to become holy; To become transformed into the image of God's Son.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2

Also, as I add to my faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge, I also get my mind engaged and involved in this work of pursuing holiness, by studying God's word, to renew my mind to the truth, and discover the will of God, for my life.

When we have both our mind [empowered with God's knowledge, wisdom, and understanding] and our heart [empowered with God's grace and power], joining together in agreement [as touching] with God's will, we have a powerful dynamic, designed to exercise dominion over the sinful desires of our flesh, that we would rule over our flesh, to make it a slave to righteousness, rather than we ourselves becoming a slave to the sin that dwells in our flesh.

If we back up a little in Romans 6, from verse 22, we see Paul explaining this principle.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:12-16

• Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

JLB
Thank you. God bless you too.
I'm thinking I'm misunderstand your point there. If I may, are you saying we have to watch our step as we live as Christians and obey the rules in scripture in order to ultimately assume the reward of salvation once we're judged by God?
Are we saved now? In your view?
Thank you for helping me understand your post.

the factory i work at we have techs /set up to keep the line going they also are type straw boss ,we have one every time something does not go his way or the machine has a malfunction he snaps likes to yell or accuse the operator of not doing his job right . we use a term as a joke operator error when equipment breaks down. he is not a people person if he gets loud with me..yes it pushes my button i yell back .yes i have to repent..i do not ask him to forgive me as he fired first shot.. but this is the only way to we live in this world {I try my best to keep my mind on those things of Christ and to walk in His Spirit as I crucify this flesh daily.}

aww yes our flesh has a tendency to be a problem . we have a tech who is in charge of our dept to keep running . he is never happy blows a fuse when the equipment brakes down.. at time blames the operator . we lock horn i speak back my bad repent yes,, apologize to him over his ignorance no . do i pray for him?yes Lord strike him with lightning lol.. no i do pray his eyes are opened. he is one of these you dont know till you die if you go to heaven but he is going

Every time my tongue speaks things it shouldn't I am always reminded of James 3:5-6 that draws me to repent as the Holy Spirit is quick to convict me.

Thank you. God bless you too.
I'm thinking I'm misunderstand your point there. If I may, are you saying we have to watch our step as we live as Christians and obey the rules in scripture in order to ultimately assume the reward of salvation once we're judged by God?
Are we saved now? In your view?
Thank you for helping me understand your post.

My post is about holiness; pursuing holiness.

If we are called to pursue holiness, that tells me that holiness is something we are to go after, and press towards, in that we must apply ourselves in the activity of purposely following after to obtain the result of becoming holy.

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
Hebrews 12:14

What are your thoughts on pursuing holiness.?

JLB

pursuing holiness
paul wrote I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. the prize is Jesus the author and finisher of our faith all this is done through the influence /power of the Holy Spirit. it takes effort on our part romans 12:1-2 . once again its all . For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! nothing of ourself

paul wrote I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. the prize is Jesus the author and finisher of our faith all this is done through the influence /power of the Holy Spirit. it takes effort on our part romans 12:1-2 . once again its all . For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! nothing of ourself

I agree, that our effort must come from and be influenced by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Well said.

Nothing in and of ourselves, it is His righteous and holy life, within us, leading us and empowering us in this effort.

To Him be all the glory.

JLB

Everyday we start a new adventure with Christ.

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.
Phil 3:13-15

Our hearts have called us to express what we are and what Christ has done in us.
By this life, abiding in His word and truth, we walk forward. In a sense just being in
communion with Christ is salvation, is eternal life, and walking forward is testimony to
its reality in us.

Like Peter we get empetious, and distracted, but returning to our calling, our path is
the way. Often we confuse our motivation to earthy success and recognition, not recognising
it is our standing in Jesus that is our reward, our inspiration and our daily task.

To be consistent with Pauls view of redemption, we are cleansed, made Holy, in time and space,
and indwelt by the Holy Spirit as temples of the living God. It is this tension between knowledge
of our weaknesses, our tendency for our thoughts and desires to lead us astray, that often convicts
us this must not be true. But this is the burden of the knowledge of good and evil, knowing that
which is wrong and overcoming in Christ as we are transformed. Praise the Lord for the work He
has done and continues to do in us. Amen.

Often we spend so much time focusing on the small things we do not see the gaping needs
around us and the failures we can help with in others peoples lives.

So our rejection socially, or shyness, or pride of our achievements becomes more important,
rather than seeking to love and serve others as we walk.

Do we pray in the quiet place or in front of everyone? Do we aspire to preach and be noticed
or to help minister encouragement to those around? Is our giving so all can see or when
opportunity presents itself?

It is very easy to be shaped by the interactions with others rather than our heart reaching out
to the source of life and His word.

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
"I do not accept praise from men, but I know you.
I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts.
I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.
How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?"
John 5:39-44

It is easy to end up like the teachers of the law, which Jesus criticised and not seek out
Jesus, His ways and His word.

Everyday we start a new adventure with Christ.

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.
Phil 3:13-15

Our hearts have called us to express what we are and what Christ has done in us.
By this life, abiding in His word and truth, we walk forward. In a sense just being in
communion with Christ is salvation, is eternal life, and walking forward is testimony to
its reality in us.

Like Peter we get empetious, and distracted, but returning to our calling, our path is
the way. Often we confuse our motivation to earthy success and recognition, not recognising
it is our standing in Jesus that is our reward, our inspiration and our daily task.

To be consistent with Pauls view of redemption, we are cleansed, made Holy, in time and space,
and indwelt by the Holy Spirit as temples of the living God. It is this tension between knowledge
of our weaknesses, our tendency for our thoughts and desires to lead us astray, that often convicts
us this must not be true. But this is the burden of the knowledge of good and evil, knowing that
which is wrong and overcoming in Christ as we are transformed. Praise the Lord for the work He
has done and continues to do in us. Amen.
Amen. It took me a lot of time (years n years) to realize and accept that He is my portion .And nothing else. My flesh , my worldly desire for money and success would fight bitterly to accept that one single truth . The Lord is my portion and nothing else. Finally I made peace with that truth . It hurt me hard to have a plethora of failures on my plate. They were so horribly painful that even enemies took pity on me. And that's something I could not suffer. Yet all I heard from the Lord was I am your portion. And when I least expected , He have some success. I understood how GREAT that statement is I AM YOUR PORTION. That " portion " is universe!
It took me lot of time to understand His ways were so different than mine . I wish now to be holy ----- and it's a very hard call for the wretch that I am, yet possible by His love , grace and mercy. All things are possible when I place His will over mine and surrender completely to His will.
Psalm 15 New King James Version

The Character of Those Who May Dwell with the Lord : A Psalm of David.

Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle?
Who may dwell in Your holy hill?
2 He who walks uprightly,
And works righteousness,
And speaks the truth in his heart;
3 He who does not backbite with his tongue,
Nor does evil to his neighbor,
Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend;
4 In whose eyes a vile person is despised,
But he honors those who fear the Lord;
He who swears to his own hurt and does not change;
5 He who does not put out his money at usury,
Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be moved.

Amen. It took me a lot of time (years n years) to realize and accept that He is my portion .And nothing else. My flesh , my worldly desire for money and success would fight bitterly to accept that one single truth . The Lord is my portion and nothing else. Finally I made peace with that truth . It hurt me hard to have a plethora of failures on my plate. They were so horribly painful that even enemies took pity on me. And that's something I could not suffer. Yet all I heard from the Lord was I am your portion. And when I least expected , He have some success. I understood how GREAT that statement is I AM YOUR PORTION. That " portion " is universe!
It took me lot of time to understand His ways were so different than mine . I wish now to be holy ----- and it's a very hard call for the wretch that I am, yet possible by His love , grace and mercy. All things are possible when I place His will over mine and surrender completely to His will.
Psalm 15 New King James Version

The Character of Those Who May Dwell with the Lord : A Psalm of David.

Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle?
Who may dwell in Your holy hill?
2 He who walks uprightly,
And works righteousness,
And speaks the truth in his heart;
3 He who does not backbite with his tongue,
Nor does evil to his neighbor,
Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend;
4 In whose eyes a vile person is despised,
But he honors those who fear the Lord;
He who swears to his own hurt and does not change;
5 He who does not put out his money at usury,
Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be moved.

One of my favorite Psalms and one that I meditate upon daily.

Be blessed.

JLB

If I were asked by someone what is my takeaway from the Lord's great story of Love and Redemption --- THE BIBLE, I would say, Accepting Jesus as savior , and doing His Will ( over mine) .
Mark 3:35, Matthew 7: 21-22
When I ( we ) do this ----God's will ---- everything else falls in place, and we become complete.

Colossians 2: 10
And you have been made complete in Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.

JLB
You have articulated so well. It's a daily walk , a moment by moment challenge , a moment by moment JOY :) Nothing compares to the joy I feel when I walk in the Spirit , in holiness , vs the brokenness I feel when I walk in sin.

You have articulated so well. It's a daily walk , a moment by moment challenge , a moment by moment JOY :) Nothing compares to the joy I feel when I walk in the Spirit , in holiness , vs the brokenness I feel when I walk in sin.

I have learned through much chastening, and failure, just how much God loves me, and desires the best for me, as His son.

• that we may be partakers of His holiness.

10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:10-11

• nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

JLB

Back