Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Are the Sabbath Laws Binding on Christians Today?

wavy said:
Well, the bible does call us Christians and you could consider me one. But biblical Christianity doesn't teach what you are teaching.
[/quote]Only true Christians keep the 7th day sabbath, as it is the [sign] of the relationship between God and the believer...... 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a [sign] between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.

Jay T said:
Only true Christians keep the 7th day sabbath, as it is the [sign] of the relationship between God and the believer...... 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a [sign] between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.

Show me in scripture what it means to be a Christian, and how one is to become a member of the body of Christ Jesus.

What is born again? Have you been born again? If so, how were you born again?

Solo said:
Jay T said:
Only true Christians keep the 7th day sabbath, as it is the [sign] of the relationship between God and the believer...... 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a [sign] between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.
Show me in scripture what it means to be a Christian,
I will show you an aspect of Christianity that few Christians(?) want to think about......
Remember, Jesus said, He did not...come to bring peace...(Matthew 10:34)
God has shown that He gave His people a bitter cup to drink, to purify and cleanse them (2 Peter 2:21,22).
It is a bitter draught, and they can make it still more bitter by murmuring, complaining.
But those who receive it thus must have another draught, for the first does not have its designed effect upon the heart.
And if the second does not effect the work, then they must have another, and another, until it does have its designed effect, or they will be left filthy, impure in heart.
This bitter cup can be sweetened by patience, endurance, and prayer, and that it will have its designed effect upon the hearts of those who thus receive it, and God will be honored and glorified.

It is no small thing to be a Christian and to be owned and approved of God.

The Lord has shown some who profess the present truth, whose lives do not correspond with their profession.

They have the standard of piety altogether too low, and they come far short of Bible holiness ("Be ye perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect", Matthew 5:48).

Some engage in vain and unbecoming conversation, and others give way to the risings of self.
We must not expect to please ourselves, live and act like the world, have its pleasures, and enjoy the company of those who are of the world, and reign with Christ in glory.

We must be partakers of Christ's sufferings here (2 Peter 2:21,22)...if we would share in His glory hereafter.
If we seek our own interest, how we can best please ourselves, instead of seeking to please God and advance His precious, suffering cause, we shall dishonor God and the holy cause we profess to love.

[quote:40e12]
....and how one is to become a member of the body of Christ Jesus.
1 Peter 1:23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever".
Notice ....the emphasis on, the word of God.

What is born again?
[/quote:40e12]The converting power of God can transform inherited and cultivated tendencies; for the religion of Jesus is uplifting.
"Born again" means a transformation, a new birth in Christ Jesus.

If we would develop a character which God can accept, we must form correct habits in our religious life.
Daily prayer is as essential to growth in grace, and even to spiritual life itself, as is temporal food to physical well-being.

We should accustom ourselves to lift the thoughts often to God in prayer. If the mind wanders, we must bring it back; by persevering effort, habit will finally make it easy.
We cannot for one moment separate ourselves from Christ with safety. We may have His presence to attend us at every step, but only by observing the conditions which He Himself has laid down.

Religion must be made the great business of life.
Everything else should be held subordinate to this.
All our powers, of soul, body, and spirit, must be engaged in the Christian warfare.
We must look to Christ for strength and grace, and we shall gain the victory as surely as Jesus died for us.

JM said:
The Sabbath was the sign to Israel of the Mosaic Covenant (
The sabbath in the Law of Moses was abolished.

The 4th commandment (7th day sabbath) Jesus Christ says, to keep.

Jay T said:
Solo said:
[quote="Jay T":59103]Only true Christians keep the 7th day sabbath, as it is the [sign] of the relationship between God and the believer...... 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a [sign] between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.
Show me in scripture what it means to be a Christian,
I will show you an aspect of Christianity that few Christians(?) want to think about......
Remember, Jesus said, He did not...come to bring peace...(Matthew 10:34)
God has shown that He gave His people a bitter cup to drink, to purify and cleanse them (2 Peter 2:21,22).
It is a bitter draught, and they can make it still more bitter by murmuring, complaining.
But those who receive it thus must have another draught, for the first does not have its designed effect upon the heart.
And if the second does not effect the work, then they must have another, and another, until it does have its designed effect, or they will be left filthy, impure in heart.
This bitter cup can be sweetened by patience, endurance, and prayer, and that it will have its designed effect upon the hearts of those who thus receive it, and God will be honored and glorified.

It is no small thing to be a Christian and to be owned and approved of God.

The Lord has shown some who profess the present truth, whose lives do not correspond with their profession.

They have the standard of piety altogether too low, and they come far short of Bible holiness ("Be ye perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect", Matthew 5:48).

Some engage in vain and unbecoming conversation, and others give way to the risings of self.
We must not expect to please ourselves, live and act like the world, have its pleasures, and enjoy the company of those who are of the world, and reign with Christ in glory.

We must be partakers of Christ's sufferings here (2 Peter 2:21,22)...if we would share in His glory hereafter.
If we seek our own interest, how we can best please ourselves, instead of seeking to please God and advance His precious, suffering cause, we shall dishonor God and the holy cause we profess to love.

[quote:59103]
....and how one is to become a member of the body of Christ Jesus.
1 Peter 1:23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever".
Notice ....the emphasis on, the word of God.

What is born again?
The converting power of God can transform inherited and cultivated tendencies; for the religion of Jesus is uplifting.
"Born again" means a transformation, a new birth in Christ Jesus.

If we would develop a character which God can accept, we must form correct habits in our religious life.
Daily prayer is as essential to growth in grace, and even to spiritual life itself, as is temporal food to physical well-being.

We should accustom ourselves to lift the thoughts often to God in prayer. If the mind wanders, we must bring it back; by persevering effort, habit will finally make it easy.
We cannot for one moment separate ourselves from Christ with safety. We may have His presence to attend us at every step, but only by observing the conditions which He Himself has laid down.

Religion must be made the great business of life.
Everything else should be held subordinate to this.
All our powers, of soul, body, and spirit, must be engaged in the Christian warfare.
We must look to Christ for strength and grace, and we shall gain the victory as surely as Jesus died for us.[/quote:59103][/quote:59103]

I have to go so I can not answer your post fully, but God does not accept Jay T and Solo based on what they can do or who they are. God only accepts Jay T and Solo based on what Jesus did for them. It is Jesus' righteousness that God looks at because Jay T and Solo have no righteousness.

I have to go so I can not answer your post fully, but God does not accept Jay T and Solo based on what they can do or who they are. God only accepts Jay T and Solo based on what Jesus did for them. It is Jesus' righteousness that God looks at because Jay T and Solo have no righteousness.

That is fatal flawed theology :crying: . God accepts 'all' only who agree, with the Conditions of the Everlasting Covenant! (Matthew 28:20 & Hebrews 13:20) of which, one condition is, Acts 4:12 which is the Everlasting Gospel of Revelation 14:6!

---John

Solo said:
The Christian world would do good, to study exactly what Righteousness is.

It is not some abstract word, without substance.

Consider the following Bible verse very carefully:
Psalms 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments [are] righteousness.
Rightouesness and commandment-keeping cannot be separated.

Jay T said:

Which is why God saw the need for Jesus.

Have you ever noticed that Jesus was born of God Jay T, and not man.

There's a good reason.

In love,
cj

cj said:
Jay T said:

There's a good reason.

What ...to separate righteousness FROM commandment-keeping? How strange.

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. 29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. Romans 3:22-31

cj said:
Jay T said:

There's a good reason.
One thing I want to say before I get into anything else...in regards to the title of this post.

"Is the sabbath binding, on Christians today ?"

My answer is....NO !

My Saviour Jesus Christ says, that the 4th commandment (7th day sabbath)...as well, as the rest of the 10 commandments, are not binding on anyone.

Men are at liberty to break any one of them they want to.

That is what defines what a sinner is....a LawBreaker (1 John 3:4....Romans 7:7).

It is the Christian, to uphold God's Law of the 10 commandments as God's standard of what Righteousness is (Psalms 119:172).

God has defined what a Christian is: Revelation 14:12 "Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus".
QUESTION: Are 'saints'...Christians ?

Did anyone notice the 2 identifying marks, of a Christian ?

#1.) They have the faith of Jesus Christ.
#2.) They keep all the commandments of God.

The one Bible text I find that no person who thinks that they are a Christian, can gainsay is this:

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

This is the evidence of either knowing Jesus Christ, or not.

If Jesus Christ kept the commandments....why do Christians think they are better than Christ, by not following His example ?

Jay T said:
It is the Christian, to uphold God's Law of the 10 commandments as God's standard of what Righteousness is (Psalms 119:172).

Psalm 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

All of them, not just the ten

QUESTION: Are 'saints'...Christians ?

Well, this term was applied by men. I don't particularly care if one calls me that particularly, and I don't see anything wrong with the term. However, Israel are the kidushim/saints/holy ones.

Leviticus 19:2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be kidushim: (saints/holy ones) for I YHWH your God am kadosh (holy/set apart)

But anyway, your point is noted.

The one Bible text I find that no person who thinks that they are a Christian, can gainsay is this:

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Sadly, many people think of "commandments" as abstract terms that the Spirit comes down and tells you telepathicallly.

If Jesus Christ kept the commandments....why do Christians think they are better than Christ, by not following His example ?

Because he did it so we don't have to... :roll:

That's the usual answer I get. That or he "fulfilled it", although no one ever tells me with scripture exactly what that means.

wavy said:
Sadly, many people think of "commandments" as abstract terms that the Spirit comes down and tells you telepathicallly.Yes, abstract terms like:
#1.) 'Love God, with all your heart, and mind....
#2.) 'Love your neighbor, as yourself'.

God did not...leave the definition of what love is, up to each and every individual.
It is spelled out, in the 10 commandments !

Because he did it so we don't have to... :roll:
That does not work....because Jesus Christ, told us...to keep them.[quote:e1c36]
That's the usual answer I get. That or he "fulfilled it", although no one ever tells me with scripture exactly what that means.
[/quote:e1c36]
How about this one....
Isaiah 42:21 "The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make [it] honourable".

And, He did just that, with the 'Sermon on the Mount'.

The 7th day sabbath was never binding on anyone.
How can I says that ?

Isaiah 56:2 Blessed [is] the man [that] doeth this, and the son of man [that] layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Isaiah 58:13 "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:
58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken [it].

Now...tell me...how can the 7th day sabbath, be binding....when God says, to call it a 'DELIGHT' ?

How can God 'Bless' someone who keeps the sabbath ...IF...it were a binding ordeal ?

Again.....the Bible says that SATAN is at ....WAR...with the commandments of God (Revelation 12:17).
It is he...that makes people think of God's Holy day, as a yoke of bondage !

Catholicism initiated a 'holy day' (Sunday) of their own because they believed that they were God's representative on earth. They still believe that the Pope is "God on earth". Apparently, so too do most Christians. In regard to the 'holy day' of Sunday many mainstream Christians - including those on this forum - will defend this Catholic 'command' to the death, it would seem. God's Sabbath is a dirty word and immediately raises the hackles in most christians. They just don't want to know. It might be better to give it up, JayT.

Now...tell me...how can the 7th day sabbath, be binding....when God says, to call it a 'DELIGHT' ?

How can God 'Bless' someone who keeps the sabbath ...IF...it were a binding ordeal ?

Again.....the Bible says that SATAN is at ....WAR...with the commandments of God (Revelation 12:17).
It is he...that makes people think of God's Holy day, as a yoke of bondage !

John here:

binding, bondage, or delightful? If one looks at Hebrews 6:1-5 we see real Born Again folk who have known that Christ is the God of all life. Put the emphasis on KNOWING!! OK? How much more could they have at this point? See Romans 8:1

These [were made Partakers of the Holy Ghost]. Now for your question.
Most of these had never even known or understood the Lord's 'requirements' past the perfectly created Adam? (not clear?)
Well, look at it this way then. Both Adam & some of these ones are now created & then re/created PERFECT! OK? Again Romans 8:1. BORN AGAIN back to the original perfection. Covered with the Righteousness of Christ. Adam had the Righteousness of Christ before sin. He then lost it & knew that he was 'naked' in more ways than bodily wise. (New Birth is spiritually & not physically of course)

Now, there is still more as Romans 8:14 teaches. We must be LED in the process of being PERFECTLY [MATURE]. But all will not become mature! All will not continue on into MATURITY! Cain for one. The ERNEST of the Holy Ghost GIVEN is not the closing time of the Holy Ghost. See Genesis 6:3 for His final STRIVING. King Saul was another good example only, he was given the Holy Ghost & then He waS LATER ON REMOVED FROM HIM.

But as for these ONES today? Most of these who have tasted the Good Word of God, and that Have been MADE PARTAKERS OF THE HOLY GHOST do not 'believe' that they need anything else! Hay they say, what more do I need? I feel great, and I KNOW that I have been saved! Hosea 4:6 is mute to them, and also Christ's Word of Knowledge being increased in the last days. And the devil is happy, huh?
But they must look past their ignorance into the rest of the Hebrews 6:6 & 2 Peter 2:19-22 verses. Christ tells of some of these such ones in Luke 12:47-48 also.

Well that is one reason. But most have not made the transition from carnal to spiritual, regardless of what they think! When one talks of LOVING CHRIST, this love means a whole lot more than mans misinterpreted things! Recreated Agape Love is a MORAL PRINCIPLE based on the Eternal Covenant of the Godhead. Excitement, emotion, feeling good are just a few smaller parts that the devil uses to kill the Moral Principle! These things alone are not Agape Recreated True LOVE!

Even the lost world who do not give the credit to God even, has some of the above. Perhaps a high I.Q. or strong will power? They still have not lost all the original created traits that Adam was created with at the start. Yet, this love will save no one without being Born Again as Christ states in John 3:3.

These ones have got to have a change. That is what it is all about! :wink: Being Born Again is just the starting point! We are back to square one with the moral figure of Adam's perfect creation! See Philippians 4:13 & 2 Corinthians 12:9 for the recreated provisions!
God will save no one without being MATURE! And it is not a one time sin that he is 'bottom line' concerned about, but it is the FINISHED product of FINAL MATURITY! See James 1:15 & 1 John 5:16-17. He want to LEAD US INTO ALL TRUTH!

And the Godheads Seventh Day Sabbath? What Born Again Christian for long could be "IN" CHRIST and still not 'desire' (OR LOVE) to OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS? And there are TEN that make up the "EPISTLE" of Christ! And Acts 5:32 tells of the ones who had at one time at least, made the original starting point back to Adams perfect & original stature. BUT, THERE IS MORE, HUH? [And, True LOVE is BINDING, just not BONDAGE!]

But, do not give up on us, ok?? :fadein:

Back