Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Are We Born With a Sin nature

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Sin: sin nature, a body of sin, sinful flesh, the law of sin working in our members.

We inherit from Adam the sin of disobedience.
You keep saying things like this, but it doesn’t really answer my question.

Adam was created with the ability to choose life, or choose death just like you and I. We can be obedient or disobedient, just like Adam. The difference is that Adams sin brought death to all men. Death in and of itself is not sin. Instead, it is the result of Adams sin.

If we indeed have two souls, one wrestles with our flesh and the other desires to draw near to God and enjoy being in His presence.

When Adam disobeyed, do you think he was wrestling with his flesh? Do you think he could have choose. Not to disobey?

Please answer this. I’m very curious.

If we indeed have two souls,

Totally disagree.

When Adam disobeyed, do you think he was wrestling with his flesh?

No, his wife.

She was deceived and ate then enticed him to as well.

You keep saying things like this, but it doesn’t really answer my question.

Adam was created with the ability to choose life, or choose death just like you and I. We can be obedient or disobedient, just like Adam. The difference is that Adams sin brought death to all men. Death in and of itself is not sin. Instead, it is the result of Adams sin.

If we indeed have two souls, one wrestles with our flesh and the other desires to draw near to God and enjoy being in His presence.

When Adam disobeyed, do you think he was wrestling with his flesh? Do you think he could have choose. Not to disobey?

Please answer this. I’m very curious.

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—
Romans 5:12

How did Adam’s sin, (disobedience) spread to all mankind, if not through procreation of the human race?

How is it all mankind has a body that contains sin, (sin nature) if we didn’t inherit from our parents going back to Adam?

Do you understand that our flesh contains sin that desires to gratify its lustful cravings?

JLB

No, his wife.

She was deceived and ate then enticed him to as well.
Adam was not wrestling with his wife, but through disobedience fell to the lust of the eye as it was a choice he made to disobey God's command not to eat of that tree. We read in Genesis 3 about the fall of Adam and Eve allowing themselves to believe the lie of the serpent (Satan). Why did Adam and Eve fail in being disobedient to God's first commandment made to man, Genesis 2:16-17, because there eyes were now opened to the good and the evil and they both choose the evil disobeying God's command. It wasn't Eve's fault, but both their faults as at that time the nature to sin was brought forth into the world causing the Spiritual death as losing fellowship with God by the choices we make.

How is it all mankind has a body that contains sin, (sin nature) if we didn’t inherit from our parents going back to Adam?
Our body when we were first born had the nature to sin, but sin was not found in us until we chose to do that which is evil in the eyes of God knowing the difference between good and evil.

Saying we inherited sin from our parents would be like saying my parents had cancer so I was born with cancer. Hope you can see the difference.

I see us as having two souls within our body.
We have an earthy soul (created in the image of the world.. I.e. dust) and we have a godly soul which is wrapped in conflict with our animal soul within our body. (God breathed into Adam and he became a living soul. As well as Jeremiah 1:5 and Ephesians 1:4-6.
The soul expresses itself in five ways. But that is another topic.
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The soul which makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. Our own fleshly thoughts are deceiving at times causing us to make bad choices that causes us to walk in disobedience to God's commands like Adam did.

Adam was not wrestling with his wife,

That's a pun referring to his flesh.

This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”
Genesis 2:23

Our body when we were first born had the nature to sin, but sin was not found in us until we chose to do that which is evil in the eyes of God knowing the difference between good and evil.

Saying we inherited sin from our parents would be like saying my parents had cancer so I was born with cancer. Hope you can see the difference.

We inherited the sin from our parents going back to Adam and Eve.

Ever filled out a questionnaire in a doctor's office asking if cancer or other diseases are in your family line?

Catholics believe immaculate conception refers to Mary being born sinless, not Jesus.
Your comment was, "parents who have a body that contains sin, can not produce a sinless child." The question then is, unless Mary was sinless, how was Jesus born sinless, being born of Mary?

This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”
Thank you for clarity as I know he was not wrestling with Eve, but others might have taken that the wrong way.

We inherited the sin from our parents going back to Adam and Eve.

Ever filled out a questionnaire in a doctor's office asking if cancer or other diseases are in your family line?
Please show me the scripture that says we inherit sin from anyone.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Just because some members in my family line had cancer, heart problems etc. etc. does not mean I will have these issues.

Your comment was, "parents who have a body that contains sin, can not produce a sinless child." The question then is, unless Mary was sinless, how was Jesus born sinless, being born of Mary?

Because Mary was a virgin she did have the corrupt seed of a man to corrupt His bloodline.

JLB

Please show me the scripture that says we inherit sin from anyone.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
This is referring to the “act” of sin, which has nothing to do with the sin of Adam being being passed on to mankind, in which our bodies are corrupt with sin (sin nature; ie a propensity to disobedience).

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—
Romans 5:12

Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation… Romans 5:18

Just because some members in my family line had cancer, heart problems etc. etc. does not mean I will have these issues.

Of course it doesn’t, however it does mean it is possible for these genetic tendencies to be passed on from fathers to their offspring.

JLB

Adam was not wrestling with his wife, but through disobedience fell to the lust of the eye as it was a choice he made to disobey God's command not to eat of that tree. W

Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: Genesis 3:17

Our body when we were first born had the nature to sin

Agree.

Even though “sin nature” is not actually mentioned.

I would say the propensity to sin, to disobey, has been passed on to us from Adam. The human bloodline has been corrupted with a nature that is disposed to disobedience and thus God’s wrath.

among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. Ephesians 2:3

JLB

Agree.

Even though “sin nature” is not actually mentioned.

I would say the propensity to sin, to disobey, has been passed on to us from Adam. The human bloodline has been corrupted with a nature that is disposed to disobedience and thus God’s wrath.

among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. Ephesians 2:3

JLB
Yes, the nature to sin was passed on and all have fallen short at times, but we are not held accountable for the sins of the generations before us. We can only allow ourself to be influenced by them as we fall in the same pattern of their sin, but yet it is our own sin by the choices we make as I would think everyone knows the difference between good and evil whether they are a Christian or not.

We are snared by the words and deeds of the flesh through willful sin if we continue to practice the same sins of our parents.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: Genesis 3:17
What it all boils down to beginning with Adam and Eve, who by the way were both told by God not to touch or eat from the tree of good and evil, Genesis 3:2-3, is that disobedience was now brought into a perfect world. From disobedience to God's first commandment, what has from that time forth that has entered into the hearts of man/woman by sinful nature we have fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth and lies, for which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience, Colossians 3:5-9. These are all sins of the flesh.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pro 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

We are all born with a nature to sin as some of those sins I have listed have been found in all of us by the choices we have made by walking in the flesh. The only one to blame for our sin is our self.

Reactions: JLB
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The soul which makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. Our own fleshly thoughts are deceiving at times causing us to make bad choices that causes us to walk in disobedience to God's commands like Adam did.
I understand.
NIV Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

I've highlighted "Let us" as this can have a dual meaning. We Christians generally go right into Trinitarian thought, and I'm right there with you. However, there is another meaning not so lofty and it is very simple and easy to understand.

We see that God creates the heavens and the earth, and as I said to JLB earlier, God empowers the earth to "bring forth". However, when God creates humanity, he does not simply tell the earth to "bring forth" humanity in the way he told the earth to bring forth the wild beast. No, instead God says, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness".

Two parts here. God, Earth (God's creation). Man is both in the likeness and image of the land in that when we die, our body returns to the dust in which it came, and our spirit goes back to God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7

It is from this perspective that we have "two souls", or at the minimum, we have two "parts" to our soul. I really don't want to get caught up in semantics, this or that, but this is simply to say that within each of us is a fleshly being and a spiritual being, and the two at times wrestle.

It is from this perspective that we have "two souls", or at the minimum, we have two "parts" to our soul.

I believe that the soul is made up of our mind, will, and emotions.

The unrenewed mind can indeed be at odds with our new nature, our spirit man that is indwelled with the Spirit.

This is why we must have our minds renewed, so that we will both align ourselves and do what the Spirit leads us to do, which is being transformed into the image of Christ; walking in the truth.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2

JLB

Ha, love your humor lol. I was going to post that verse as a reply but you beat me to it lol.
How did Adam’s sin, (disobedience) spread to all mankind, if not through procreation of the human race?
You see, I don't look at it that way.
Adam's sin did not spread to all mankind. What spread to mankind was the result of his sin. Death was the result of his sin, and death spread through all humanity because of that sin. Think cause and effect. If i knock this domino down, it will set off a series of events. I also want to note that not only did death enter the earth through Adam's sin, but the ground was also cursed. There is much we could write on this matter, but I don't want to stray to far from the point.
We are born into a sinful world. Sin surrounds us and it can leave an imprint within us. Science has actually found that if a parent experiences a traumatic event, that event can leave an imprint within our DNA which can be passed down through conception to a child. We don't inherit the sin, what we inherit is our parents' past and present environment which is full of sin. If sin is considered 'normal', within the home, then this sin is passed down to each generation until that cycle is broken. We call this generational sin which is a culmination of imprints of past and present environments. It's cause and effect. As a result, we have the choice to either choose life, or choose death. We can break generational sin and through Christ, we can be set free.

Do you understand that our flesh contains sin that desires to gratify its lustful cravings?
Yes, I do understand that. But that in and of itself is not sin. What you're refering to is what lured Eve into sin. James puts it this way.
NIV James 1:14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
That desire has to be conceived.

Many don't understand this. So I will just say it.
We are NOT held accountable to God for every thought that pops into our head, regardless of how sinful that thought may be. What we ARE responsible for is what we do with that thought.
As an example. let's use gluttony as an example. Your obese and the dr says that you have to loose some weight or you're going to die. Out of nowhere, you get this thought to each a chocolate cream pie, and your urges are strong. You didn't solicit this thought and it just came out of nowhere. Is this sin? No, because it has not been concieved. For this thought to conceive, you have to entertain it, mediate on it, visualize it. In other words, you have to bring life to this sinful thought by giving it space in your mind that you actually want to each the chocolate cream pie. and once you give it life, it's conceived and you're one step closer to actually going through with it which leads you to death.

It goes back to that struggle we all wrestle with. Call it two souls or whatever you want, but there are two forces in our life and they wrestle.

Back