Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Ask and You Shall Recieve

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
We must put the hand to the plow, and produce fruit for the Lord! The Lord answers prayers faster for those He knows better and are active and working for Him as opposed to someone who may have got saved, but isn't active, might not even be reading His Word?

He who puts hand to plow is a servant and a laborer. But a son called into his rest should continue to rest; as the Lord has instructed. But as a friend of the bridegroom: Does the Bride go and labor in the field? Or does a bride make herself ready for the wedding? Likewise, does a Bride adorn herself with a helmet, shield and sword as if she has been called forth to war? Or does a bride adorn herself in a garment fitted for her wedding?

I always wondered just what exactly this verse meant when God doesn't give us everything we ask for. So does anybody know the true meaning of it?

Matthew 7:7 " Keep on asking and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be open for you."
I think this is a good example of why it is important not to base our entire theology on a single verse. We need to take the whole of Scripture into account. Here are a few verses that expand on Mathew 7:7, offering more clarity.

"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. Matthew 21:22 ESV

"Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." John 14:13 ESV

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24 ESV

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.
1 John 5:14 ESV

"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."
John 15:7 ESV

No, not really. That's a little long and too much words for me. Besides, I'm not an evangelist but I trust in Christ. So I'm pretty sure that I'm still going to Heaven. Of course I do share my faith when given the opportunity, I just don't preach it. That's all.

You don't have to preach it as you are not called to be an Evangelist, but called as a woman of faith as you share your witness and testify of Christ with others. The more you grow in wisdom and knowledge the greater the witness is within you as God's Spirit is in you and works through you as you let the light of Christ shine through you that will draw others to Him.

1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

Thank you Sister, but, it took me so long to put that all together! He fed it to me piece by piece, so the credit really goes to the Lord!

I do not want to be the plumber again (in Heaven). I was here (and HVAC and Elect.) and I know, when He does show up...and I have fruit (profit) for Him...I'sa be promoted! Lol! It says build up your treasures in Heaven, so, I'm working on the business plan for it!! This is what He's showing me.

It takes so long though! I feel like a slow learner but I know it isn't that (well, we all are) but just a time consuming process of purification and sanctification, these things take time. That's what bites about it because there's (earthly) work to be done, and so many distractions which steal my time, I can see that now.

There's time for the earthly work that God gives us to support ourself and family as that is a door that He opens for us that we need to walk through. Then there is heavenly work through that of the earthly as being a good steward of our fiances as we help those in need like that of Matthew 25:34-40.

He who puts hand to plow is a servant and a laborer. But a son called into his rest should continue to rest; as the Lord has instructed. But as a friend of the bridegroom: Does the Bride go and labor in the field? Or does a bride make herself ready for the wedding? Likewise, does a Bride adorn herself with a helmet, shield and sword as if she has been called forth to war? Or does a bride adorn herself in a garment fitted for her wedding?

The continued works of the Lord are also part of preparing our self to be His Bride as we walk in obedience to His commands. The works we do are done unto the Lord and not of our self as we serve others as that is where our rewards lay as they are stored up in heaven. God's salvation is a free gift by His grace through faith and our rewards are the works we do out of love and compassion towards others as described in Matthew 25:34-40.

Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

That's right, huh? That gave me a bit of pause, and perhaps we need to toss this around a bit to clarify how all this fits together.

The Bride is to prepare herself. But since I read your post and began reflecting on it...I remember that Jesus wore a servants robe while on earth, and then...I accidently clicked on a testimony on youtube and what was said was that the Lord asked a Sister a question one day. He appeared before her holding two garments. One was brown and plain, the other, a glistening white wedding gown. The Lord asked her which one do you want to wear?

She looked them over, and the brown one was nice, but not like the white one, so she decided to say the white one...but when she spoke, the brown one came out of her mouth!

The Lord said, you have chosen wisely, for this is a servants robe.

It seemed very credible and makes sense to me. WHat do you think?

We're told both in scripture, put your hand to the plow and don't look back, and to prepare yourself and clean your garment...?? I have not studied this issue closely.

That's right, huh? That gave me a bit of pause, and perhaps we need to toss this around a bit to clarify how all this fits together.

The Bride is to prepare herself. But since I read your post and began reflecting on it...I remember that Jesus wore a servants robe while on earth, and then...I accidently clicked on a testimony on youtube and what was said was that the Lord asked a Sister a question one day. He appeared before her holding two garments. One was brown and plain, the other, a glistening white wedding gown. The Lord asked her which one do you want to wear?

She looked them over, and the brown one was nice, but not like the white one, so she decided to say the white one...but when she spoke, the brown one came out of her mouth!

The Lord said, you have chosen wisely, for this is a servants robe.

It seemed very credible and makes sense to me. WHat do you think?

We're told both in scripture, put your hand to the plow and don't look back, and to prepare yourself and clean your garment...?? I have not studied this issue closely.

When I first read your comment I was like I'm sorry, but I do not recall that story from the scriptures; then I realized tou were talking about someone else's testimony.

While the white dress may look pretty, it is not in my nature to choose such an one for myself. A white dress does not look so pure once it has been stained, and I am apt to make a mess of myself from time to time. With the brown dress I am much more comfortable, for my stains are concealed a bit better; and who should judge the stains of a laborer? Are not their garments dirty? For if the laborer who worketh in the field should come before me without spots on his garment, then I would say he has done no work.

He who would choose the white dress for himself does so to be seen of men and to seek their praise. But he who from his heart hath chosen the brown hath chosen to cover himself in humility and remains hidden with the Lord.

I am reminded of the words of Jesus where he said to not be as the publicans who stood on the corners seeking the praise of men, for they have received their reward, but bring your alms before the Lord in secret, and he shall reward you openly. And when you come into a room, do not take the choice seats for yourself, but rather take the lesser so that when the master of the house comes, he may call you forth to the choice seats rather than having to embarrass you by kicking you out!

Edward, you and I have chatted before, so you should know the line of work that I am in. Ask, and you shall receive.....

This may sound silly, but I'm having a hard time containing myself. You see, I once upon a time I asked the Lord if my team could ever have a championship before the end would come. I believed his response to me then was okay. Well, to put things into perspective I'm originally from Buffalo. I should not have to explain that heartache! When I was in the military I was stationed in Sacramento when the NBA and the Kings franchise moved to town. I ended up staying in Sacramento where I went to college and began working in the industry.

It was in Sacramento that I first came to Christ, but I can not truly say that I knew the Lord then. I knew his scriptures. Anyway, I made the Sacramento Kings my home team and then like Buffalo, suffered through many losing seasons. They got close once, but its mostly been disappointments. In the late 90's I followed the Lord's voice and moved to the desert. I didn't even have to think about it, as a way was already provided.

I had continued to hope one day as a fan what it is like just to experience a championship. When my home teams were doing well, I had always experienced it from afar. Some years ago, my Sacramento Kings were in town for the NBA summer league and they ended up winning the summer league championship. I joked with the Lord at the time and said okay, if this is it, then I guess a summer league championship will do. But this? I could have never imagined for myself.

You see, a few years ago the Lord blessed me with another large project to take on, but I thought it to be just another burden at the time. I ended up getting involved early on in the project. I ended up taking the job specifications and then re-writting the sequence of operations for the building automation and then re-submitting for approval. I programmed the controls for this building and then commissioned it, and maintain it until this day. I have worked on and maintain some of the largest hotels in the world, but this was the first time I was asked to do a sports arena. One that could host a hockey game one day and a concert the next. It ended up being a really fun project to do, it was unique and challenging; and one I take pride in.

Since you work in the same industry as I do but from the other end, and after chatting with you before you know the product that I work with. The company I work for and represent ended up becoming a partner and sponsor for this arena. Outside is a logo and a sign that reads "Life Is On" After the arena had open, the city was awarded a brand new NHL expansion franchise. A year after that the team was formed and the players drafted. This season has been the first year in the league for my new home team that plays in my house.

From the impossible to the improbable. As a first year expansion team, they were not expected to be very good. But.....??? As a brand new first year team of cast offs, they came together as a team. By late December, I was already confident that they would be hoisting the cup in my house. They have gone on to defy all expectation. They won the Pacific division title in their first year, and now they find themselves one game away from winning the western conference championship and advancing on to the Stanley Cup finals.

As a sports fan, I wanted to experience the feeling and exhilaration that comes with a home team championship. I asked, I joked, and I mocked the Lord; but this I could never have imagined for myself. If the Golden Knights should go on to win the Stanley Cup this year, they will do it in their very first year and in an arena that has become one of the very best venues in the league, and in a building that I can consider to be my own house. You can only imagine my excitement; but I'm almost afraid to ask what it is I should think to receive.

Last edited:
I always wondered just what exactly this verse meant when God doesn't give us everything we ask for. So does anybody know the true meaning of it?

Matthew 7:7 " Keep on asking and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be open for you."

I was actually thinking of that verse a bit ago. I think there is something to be said for praying, petitioning God for what one wants. Kind of lines up with Matthew 6:33, I think.

I've found that praying helps God change me, personally. I've also found, over my 5 years as a Christian, that God often blesses us with things that we need...not just for our own benefit, but for His glory and the good of other people, too.

Back