Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
jasoncran said:
not all pentacostals are the feel god type. this site has a bad habit of labeling. myself included.

Me too Jason. You saw how I was putting all OSAS's in the same box. You have enlightened me on this, and I thank you :)

awaken said:
Jesus is the true foundation, so if we use the argument which some people use (above) then we must conclude that Jesus and His gifts (salvation, eternal life, the Holy Spirit, forgiveness of sins, redemption, etc.) were purely "foundational" and therefore ended when the New Testament was completed. Obviously this is the wrong conclusion to make. The argument that the apostles' spiritual gifts were purely foundational (and therefore temporary) is not Scriptural.

That's not true. It is, indeed, Scriptural. It just doesn't happen to fit your personal beliefs. No such conclusion as you suggest needs be drawn...nor should be drawn. Jesus is the chief cornerstone of the foundation. Anyway, that's called a distraction technique where I come from. :yes

The Apostles were special. They were personally chosen by our Lord, and they were given special powers that none have today. They penned the very Bible we read, and their teachings and words are the foundation that shows forth Jesus, upon which our faith is based. We now have the Word of God with all it's power based on what those men saw with their own eyes. No signs or wonders of any kind are needed now...in fact, they shouldn't be needed as we come by faith in what we have not seen.

awaken said:
Dave...

It is strange reading your notes on this...it is like I dug my old notes from previous teachings. The way I use to believe...

One thing I have learned coming from both sides of this...
When I believed the manifestations of the Holy Spirit had ceased..because man taught this to me. NO one could convince me otherwise! My notes looked a lot like yours.

Now that I have embraced the truth about the baptism of the Holy Spirit..and the manifestations that come with it...no one can convince me to go back and believe the way you do now. I went to the Holy Spirit to teach me the truth...He is a much better teacher than any man!

Another thing I have noticed on most of the forums I am on...neither side is convinced to change there stand! Not until the Holy Spirit reveals it!

This sounds like you believe you have reached a higher degree of faith than those who disagree with you. You're wrong. It's amazing how many times I hear the same thing..."I used to believe as you do". God is not the author of confusion but man is able to confuse himself very well. This is exactly what I see in your case. It more than hints of pride, and that is never a good thing, and it is never from the Holy Spirit. Dave spoke a word of wisdom and I'd suggest you do more than dismiss it out of hand because of your "experience". We are never to be led by our "experiences", but by the Word of God. You dismissed the truth and insist on listening to what you "feel" is correct. That should be a clue right there.

faithtransforms said:
Sorry, I left out some words. I meant to say how can you say that is "feel good" religion? Not that you denied it totally. And I am well aware that speaking in tongues has little to do with crucifying the flesh. I never implied it did. My pastor teaches self-denial and obedience to God. And like I said, crucifying the flesh HURTS! So that is why I am asking how you can call that "feel good"? I am not denying ther are some "feel good" pentecostals, but that is by no means the only kind of pentecostal.

I don't understand how you can say crucifying the flesh "hurts". :confused
How can it "hurt" to be in obedience to the Lord?

What hurts is serving self instead of Him.
What hurts is when we fail to do what we know we ought.
What hurts is walking in the flesh.

Each time we crucify the flesh, we should experience great joy and victory.

glorydaz said:
awaken said:
Dave...

It is strange reading your notes on this...it is like I dug my old notes from previous teachings. The way I use to believe...

One thing I have learned coming from both sides of this...
When I believed the manifestations of the Holy Spirit had ceased..because man taught this to me. NO one could convince me otherwise! My notes looked a lot like yours.

Now that I have embraced the truth about the baptism of the Holy Spirit..and the manifestations that come with it...no one can convince me to go back and believe the way you do now. I went to the Holy Spirit to teach me the truth...He is a much better teacher than any man!

Another thing I have noticed on most of the forums I am on...neither side is convinced to change there stand! Not until the Holy Spirit reveals it!

This sounds like you believe you have reached a higher degree of faith than those who disagree with you. You're wrong. It's amazing how many times I hear the same thing..."I used to believe as you do". God is not the author of confusion but man is able to confuse himself very well. This is exactly what I see in your case. It more than hints of pride, and that is never a good thing, and it is never from the Holy Spirit. Dave spoke a word of wisdom and I'd suggest you do more than dismiss it out of hand because of your "experience". We are never to be led by our "experiences", but by the Word of God. You dismissed the truth and insist on listening to what you "feel" is correct. That should be a clue right there.

Not feelings, glorydaz...and I did not mean to come across prideful! I was expressing that neither side is going to give..I have been on both sides. And I am not confused! What I believe, I have shown with scriptures...What the Holy Spirit has confirmed in me...your unbelief will can not take away!

If I were to say to you...your experience(or feelings) with God is not real..how would you feel? Just because I do not believe you had an encounter with Jesus for salvation..would that make your salvation invalid? NO! My experience with Jesus is real...my relationship and the manifestations are real!! whether you or anyone else believe in it~

faithtransforms said:
Yes, perfect can mean mature, but you can see that the first definitions for the word in Strongs mean "perfect", as in "without flaw", not mature.

8 Charity never faileth : but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail ; whether there be tongues, they shall cease ; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away .
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come , then that which is in part shall be done away . 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly *; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known .

Clearly when that which is perfect has come is speaking of the redemption of our bodies, because he says I will see FACE to FACE, and will KNOW even as I am KNOWN. Who is he known by? Christ. Who will he know as he is known? Christ, who he will see face to face.

If you read the entirety of these scriptures I have quoted, it is crystal clear he is ENCOURAGING them to speak with tongues as well as operate in the other gifts. The only thing he rebukes them for is being disorderly. THAT'S IT. Show me where he rebukes them for anything else.

Also, I KNOW where my pastor stands on the baptism in the Holy Spirit. He is all for it, I have received the infillng of the Holy Ghost, and many in our congregation operate in both sign and non-sign gifts. We "feel good" in praise and worship because God inhabits the praises of His people. But our pastor's message is one of self-denial and obedience to Christ.

You speak about traditions of men and then you go on to prove that's exactly what you're following.
You go to Strongs to gain your understanding. How about reading the Word to gain your understanding. Pay special attention to the part about being a child and speaking as a child...that is talking about moving from immaturity to maturity. That is not speaking of the redemption of our bodies. "To know Him"...that is an achievable goal here on this earth.

Here we see what Paul means when he uses the term "perfect".
He's speaking of maturity...maturing in holiness.
2 Corinthians 7:1 said:
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Maturing for the work of the ministry.
Ephesians 4:12 said:
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
“Perfection†here means “maturityâ€, and it would be good to simply remember that whenever we see the word “perfect†used in this context we should think “spiritually matureâ€. Perfecting of the saints means the maturing of the saints...the process that brings the saints out of spiritual immaturity into spiritual adulthood. We are to "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord".

Paul explains that he has neither attained, nor is he already perfect (Philippians 3:12). Clearly he expects to be perfect one day, but he has not yet attained. But to what is he attaining to? Sinless perfection? No. He is striving for spiritual maturity...an intimate, fully-developed relationship with Jesus Christ (“to know Himâ€). Then he says everyone who is perfect (that is, spiritually mature), will be like-minded in their pursuit of knowing Christ.

glorydaz said:
awaken said:
Jesus is the true foundation, so if we use the argument which some people use (above) then we must conclude that Jesus and His gifts (salvation, eternal life, the Holy Spirit, forgiveness of sins, redemption, etc.) were purely "foundational" and therefore ended when the New Testament was completed. Obviously this is the wrong conclusion to make. The argument that the apostles' spiritual gifts were purely foundational (and therefore temporary) is not Scriptural.

That's not true. It is, indeed, Scriptural. It just doesn't happen to fit your personal beliefs. No such conclusion as you suggest needs be drawn...nor should be drawn. Jesus is the chief cornerstone of the foundation. Anyway, that's called a distraction technique where I come from. :yes

The Apostles were special. They were personally chosen by our Lord, and they were given special powers that none have today. They penned the very Bible we read, and their teachings and words are the foundation that shows forth Jesus, upon which our faith is based. We now have the Word of God with all it's power based on what those men saw with their own eyes. No signs or wonders of any kind are needed now...in fact, they shouldn't be needed as we come by faith in what we have not seen.

I did not say the apostles were not special..but you are wrong about the powers..because Mark said those that believe will have powers...
Are you saying that every book in the Bible was written by an apostle?
I have shown that more than just the apostles manifested the power of God..Steven, Agabus, Steven..He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied." (Acts 21:8-9)
God specifically said that He will pour out His Spirit on all types of people, God did not say "I will pour out my Spirit for 60 or 70 years until the last apostle has died".

Neither Jesus nor the writers of Scripture ever described two Churches, meaning an "early Church" (which ended when the New Testament was completed) and a "modern Church," so these terms are misleading. There is only one Church, and only one Church Age, and only one body of Christ, and therefore we are part of the same New Testament Church that was born at Pentecost.

Consider a new Christian who has not absorbed any biases from Christian friends or church leaders. Imagine that he is so hungry to know the Lord that he reads through the entire New Testament several times. When this person goes to church for the very first time in his life, wouldn't he expect to see people sometimes speaking in tongues, laying hands on the sick, prophesying, and so on? After all, this is the only type of church experience which is described in the New Testament!

glorydaz said:
faithtransforms said:
Yes, perfect can mean mature, but you can see that the first definitions for the word in Strongs mean "perfect", as in "without flaw", not mature.

8 Charity never faileth : but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail ; whether there be tongues, they shall cease ; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away .
10 But when that which is perfect is come , then that which is in part shall be done away . 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly *; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known .

Clearly when that which is perfect has come is speaking of the redemption of our bodies, because he says I will see FACE to FACE, and will KNOW even as I am KNOWN. Who is he known by? Christ. Who will he know as he is known? Christ, who he will see face to face.

If you read the entirety of these scriptures I have quoted, it is crystal clear he is ENCOURAGING them to speak with tongues as well as operate in the other gifts. The only thing he rebukes them for is being disorderly. THAT'S IT. Show me where he rebukes them for anything else.

Also, I KNOW where my pastor stands on the baptism in the Holy Spirit. He is all for it, I have received the infillng of the Holy Ghost, and many in our congregation operate in both sign and non-sign gifts. We "feel good" in praise and worship because God inhabits the praises of His people. But our pastor's message is one of self-denial and obedience to Christ.

You speak about traditions of men and then you go on to prove that's exactly what you're following.
You go to Strongs to gain your understanding. How about reading the Word to gain your understanding. Pay special attention to the part about being a child and speaking as a child...that is talking about moving from immaturity to maturity. That is not speaking of the redemption of our bodies. "To know Him"...that is an achievable goal here on this earth.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
[quote="Ephesians 4:12":21i51mpc]For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
“Perfection†here means “maturityâ€, and it would be good to simply remember that whenever we see the word “perfect†used in this context we should think “spiritually matureâ€. Perfecting of the saints means the maturing of the saints...the process that brings the saints out of spiritual immaturity into spiritual adulthood. We are to "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord".

Paul explains that he has neither attained, nor is he already perfect (Philippians 3:12). Clearly he expects to be perfect one day, but he has not yet attained. But to what is he attaining to? Sinless perfection? No. He is striving for spiritual maturity...an intimate, fully-developed relationship with Jesus Christ (“to know Himâ€). Then he says everyone who is perfect (that is, spiritually mature), will be like-minded in their pursuit of knowing Christ.[/quote:21i51mpc]

Do you consider yourself mature? Have you achieved this perfection? Do you know Christ as he knows you? Has the body of Christ matured to the point of perfection? Have we reached this goal? Did Paul ever meet it in this life..because most of his writings he is still in the race..still trying to achieve..So did Paul ever reach this maturity? Can we completley gain this here on earth? Do you know someone that is fully mature..not maturing anymore?

awaken said:
Not feelings, glorydaz...and I did not mean to come across prideful! I was expressing that neither side is going to give..I have been on both sides. And I am not confused! What I believe, I have shown with scriptures...What the Holy Spirit has confirmed in me...your unbelief will can not take away!

If I were to say to you...your experience(or feelings) with God is not real..how would you feel? Just because I do not believe you had an encounter with Jesus for salvation..would that make your salvation invalid? NO! My experience with Jesus is real...my relationship and the manifestations are real!! whether you or anyone else believe in it~

You may not think I know where you're coming from, but I do. I've been walking with the Lord for over 40 years, and I've had many dear friends and family who are or were Pentecostals. I've been to their services, prayer meetings and Bible studies. I've seen the good and the bad...just like I did when I was in a Baptist Church...even in my teenage years in the Catholic Church, before I was saved. I have found believers who love the Lord everywhere I've gone. I also know the difference between experience based beliefs and beliefs based solely upon the Word of God. I don't feel dead to sin, but I know I am because the Word confirms it. I don't feel like satan was defeated at the cross, but I know he was. I don't believe what I believe because it seems right to me or because some Pastor assured me it was right.

How would I feel if you were to say my experience is not real? I wouldn't feel bad, and I hope you don't just because I've put forth what I see from the Word. That was not my intent. I can't make you hear what I'm saying, only the Lord can do that. You spoke of your notes and what you "used to" believe. Now your "experience" has changed those beliefs.

Do you see what I'm saying? Don't change your beliefs based on your experiences or feelings. Change your beliefs if you see from the Word they were incorrect. It appears to me, you are interpreting the Word based on your experiences and that is never the right direction to go. It's no skin off my back what you believe...I only have concern for a brother or sister in Christ when I see them reading scripture in a way that fits their doctrine rather than what I see the Word says quite clearly. What Dave said brought a big Amen from me, and I was rather surprised you took it in such a negative manner. You immediately went to the "doctrines of men" argument, and it was so far from the case I was left to wonder why you felt the need to go there. There was no error in what he posted...had there been, I'd have understood your response. As it was.... :shrug

awaken said:
glorydaz said:

[quote="Ephesians 4:12":cqex2dnz]For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Paul explains that he has neither attained, nor is he already perfect (Philippians 3:12). Clearly he expects to be perfect one day, but he has not yet attained. But to what is he attaining to? Sinless perfection? No. He is striving for spiritual maturity...an intimate, fully-developed relationship with Jesus Christ (“to know Himâ€). Then he says everyone who is perfect (that is, spiritually mature), will be like-minded in their pursuit of knowing Christ.

Do you consider yourself mature? Have you achieved this perfection? Do you know Christ as he knows you? Has the body of Christ matured to the point of perfection? Have we reached this goal? Did Paul ever meet it in this life..because most of his writings he is still in the race..still trying to achieve..So did Paul ever reach this maturity? Can we completley gain this here on earth? Do you know someone that is fully mature..not maturing anymore?[/quote:cqex2dnz]

You're fast. :biglaugh

I'll answer this one first.

I'm alot more mature than I was 40 years ago, and not as mature as I'll be when I go to be with the Lord. Paul isn't using the term as perfect, but as mature. And, yes, I consider myself one of the elder folks.

1 John 2:12-14 said:
I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

We each go through the all the stages of spiritual growth. I was a child for many years...seeking to know Jesus and all He taught. I was a young man, and have overcome the wicked one...through many trials along the way. I'm a father because I rest in His love, and I'm no longer blown around by every wind of doctrine. I know my Saviour and He knows me. Am I perfect? Of course not. But I'm assured of my salvation, I've had many victories along the way. The Lord is new every morning and He is more important to me than every breath I take.

Not all members of the body are mature...that isn't what Paul is talking about. He is speaking of each individual coming into that state of maturity where they are not only known of God, but know Him. I could not have said that years ago...I may not know what will happen to the unsaved, or what heaven will be like, or what every word in the Bible means, but I do know my Lord and Saviour. As far as I'm concerned...that which is perfect has come, and I'm ready to go home with Him. I'm willing to stay if my work here isn't done, but I'm ready, nonetheless.

Think of Paul...how many years did he know the Lord? Twenty or thereabouts? He didn't have the opportunity to reach old age...he was constantly in the battle, dying in the line of duty. Just think if he'd had another 20 years as a prayer warrior....we have a whole army of such men. Not taken in the prime of life but in the battle nonetheless. Now here I am rambling on....I hope you'll forgive me if I haven't really adequately answered your question, but it did make me consider many things, and I thank you for that trip down memory lane. I'll get to your other post tomorrow...it's late. Please forgive me if I've been too blunt with my responses. I can see you love the Lord and that is what really matters when all is said and done.

no one is at the level of completion while on this earth. we all are lacking. paul talked about hold fast to attain that prize and he hadnt attained that yet. what was the prize? salvation? no. perfection in christ.

jasoncran said:
no one is at the level of completion while on this earth. we all are lacking. paul talked about hold fast to attain that prize and he hadnt attained that yet. what was the prize? salvation? no. perfection in christ.

This one I can agree with!! :amen

glorydaz said:
faithtransforms said:
Sorry, I left out some words. I meant to say how can you say that is "feel good" religion? Not that you denied it totally. And I am well aware that speaking in tongues has little to do with crucifying the flesh. I never implied it did. My pastor teaches self-denial and obedience to God. And like I said, crucifying the flesh HURTS! So that is why I am asking how you can call that "feel good"? I am not denying ther are some "feel good" pentecostals, but that is by no means the only kind of pentecostal.

I don't understand how you can say crucifying the flesh "hurts". :confused
How can it "hurt" to be in obedience to the Lord?

What hurts is serving self instead of Him.
What hurts is when we fail to do what we know we ought.
What hurts is walking in the flesh.

Each time we crucify the flesh, we should experience great joy and victory.

As I said in the first post where I said it hurts, I said that crucifying the flesh felt good in my spirit because I was obeying God. But it still hurt! Because flesh is part of you and when you deny it, it hurts. When you have gotten the victory over the flesh in a certain area, it is joy unspeakable, but there is no question it hurts to deny the flesh of its much loved pleasures. You feel glorious in your spirit, but you're flesh don't like it and it puts up a fight. Maybe you're just super sanctified, but when I deny the flesh, it hurts, it doesn't hurt my heart, it hurts my flesh, which is part of ME. After you have been obedient to God, you get the victory over that particular part of the flesh you are crucifying, then comes the joy!

Also, everyone was raised in a different way and came to the Lord in a different way. If when you came to the Lord you had already developed discipline in your life and were not involved in any serious sin, it will be easier to crucify the flesh than someone who came to Christ with serious sins of the flesh. Now sometimes, when you come to Christ, God will instantly heal you of some or all of those sins, as He did me with the sin of bisexuality and a foul mouth.

However, I was raised in a discipline free atmosphere and when I came to Christ, I didn't have the least BIT of self discipline. I was a compulsive overeater, and yes, I believe that to be sin. It took almost 5 years to get delivered of that. So it was a sin I had to keep confessing over and over to God (and was under the heavy weight of condemnation because I didn't know how to stand up to the devil back then). I developed emotional overeating as a result of childhood abuse, so it was very difficult to let it go. It had been what I thought "protected" me for so long. God HAS delivered me, although it still happens occasionally. But back when I was struggling and I really wanted that chocolate because I was depressed or sad, it was really hard to deny my flesh and it hurt. But with each little victory, there was great joy!

faithtransforms said:
Dave, I don't know if I want to even justify your comments with a response. Theos is the ONLY word used in the NT for God, and Kurios for Lord. So to say that Paul was implying they were praying to false gods is ridiculous. Your post is a clear case of the traditions of men. Using human reasoning to interpret scripture instead of letting scripture interpret scripture and letting the Holy Ghost to reveal it to you.

I am posting here all that I found in 1 COR regarding spriritual gifts:

1COR 14
1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied : for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret , that the church may receive edifying
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth , but my understanding is unfruitful (he is praying with his SPIRIT while speaking in tongues). It is a prayer language.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Now here Paul is saying, desire spiritual gifts, especially prophecy, he said I would that ye all spake with tongues. He says that prophecy is better than tongues except when there is someone there to interpret the tongues. Paul says he himself prays with tongues "in the spririt" and prays with his understanding also. He SINGS in the spirit (tongues) and sings with his understanding also. Sounds quite clear that Paul is all for speaking with tongues. And was he not pretty mature?

1COR 13

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels (and ANGELS, tongues are not only known languages but unknown heavenly languages.)

PERFECT:
The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number: 5046
Original Word Word Origin
tevleioß from (5056)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Teleios 8:67,1161
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
tel'-i-os Adjective
Definition
brought to its end, finished
wanting nothing necessary to completeness
perfect
that which is perfect
consummate human integrity and virtue
of men
full grown, adult, of full age, mature
</TD

King James Word Usage - Total: 19
perfect 17, man 1, of full age 1

So again, I challenge anyone to show me a scripture where Paul was rebuking them for anything but being disorderly. And LOOK at all the scriptures in which Paul is ENCOURAGING them! How can anyone deny that?

glorydaz said:
awaken said:

You may not think I know where you're coming from, but I do. I've been walking with the Lord for over 40 years, and I've had many dear friends and family who are or were Pentecostals. I've been to their services, prayer meetings and Bible studies. I've seen the good and the bad...just like I did when I was in a Baptist Church...even in my teenage years in the Catholic Church, before I was saved. I have found believers who love the Lord everywhere I've gone. I also know the difference between experience based beliefs and beliefs based solely upon the Word of God. I don't feel dead to sin, but I know I am because the Word confirms it. I don't feel like satan was defeated at the cross, but I know he was. I don't believe what I believe because it seems right to me or because some Pastor assured me it was right.

How would I feel if you were to say my experience is not real? I wouldn't feel bad, and I hope you don't just because I've put forth what I see from the Word. That was not my intent. I can't make you hear what I'm saying, only the Lord can do that. You spoke of your notes and what you "used to" believe. Now your "experience" has changed those beliefs.

Do you see what I'm saying? Don't change your beliefs based on your experiences or feelings. Change your beliefs if you see from the Word they were incorrect. It appears to me, you are interpreting the Word based on your experiences and that is never the right direction to go. It's no skin off my back what you believe...I only have concern for a brother or sister in Christ when I see them reading scripture in a way that fits their doctrine rather than what I see the Word says quite clearly. What Dave said brought a big Amen from me, and I was rather surprised you took it in such a negative manner. You immediately went to the "doctrines of men" argument, and it was so far from the case I was left to wonder why you felt the need to go there. There was no error in what he posted...had there been, I'd have understood your response. As it was.... :shrug

I do not believe you actually know where I am coming from. But I agree we all have our different experiences with different religions. I am not Pentecostal..never been to a pentecostal church..and know very few people that go to pentecostal church. That said...I have nothing against someone that is pentecostal..the ones I do know, I have learned a great deal from.

I was raised a Baptist..still in a Baptist church ( I know that statement raised some eyebrows). I do love my Lord..but I am still growing and learning to love Him more. I was not offended when you did not believe my experience (even though it is backed up by scripture)..that is why I turned it around and asked you how you would feel! Just because someone does not believe your experience..we still believe..others can not steal what God gave us!

For the record..I did not go out and seek the baptism/speaking in tongues etc..as a matter of fact, I started this adventure to show some friends they were mislead because they did believe it. It was in this search through the scriptures when my eyes were opened..confused at the time because I was hanging on to what man taught as the Holy Spirit was leading me into truth. It was at this time..that I got on my face before God and prayed for him to forgive me for all my unbelief..I wanted him to teach me the truth. I claimed the scripture that the Holy Spirit would teach us all truth...This is when the confusion stopped! When the Spirit started teaching me..and I embraced the truth..the Spirit was manifested in ways I had never experienced before..just like faithtransforms stated in her opening statement. I believed FIRST! the experiences came later~ I did not believe because of the experience..the experience confirmed the truth in the scriptures.

When we first hear about Jesus and all he has done for us to accept salvation...do we experience everything at that moment?..NO! It is a walk ...from glory to glory...Well when he gives us His gift, the Holy Spirit...we do not know all there is to the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives..and will not know unless we open it! I accepted that gift by faith..and I still learning about His work in me..through me..

The hard process ..is getting what man has taught out of me. This is where I am learning about discernment-what is of God and what is not.

faithtransforms said:
So again, I challenge anyone to show me a scripture where Paul was rebuking them for anything but being disorderly. And LOOK at all the scriptures in which Paul is ENCOURAGING them! How can anyone deny that?

And he did it so well...he rebuked in love...with encouragement!

awaken said:
faithtransforms said:

And he did it so well...he rebuked in love...with encouragement!

It all comes back to knowing what Paul means by tongues. They have always been what they were in Acts. They are other languages. Unless one reads the scripture with that in mind, they will not be able to read them as they were written. I'll just leave it at that. :nod

I received the gift of Faith, nothing supernatural just a hunger for God.
Five months later I received the Kingdom of God.

I'm glad I had the chance to receive them in increments. As the Lord showed me the difference between the two.

MMarc said:
I received the gift of Faith, nothing supernatural just a hunger for God.
Five months later I received the Kingdom of God.

I'm glad I had the chance to receive them in increments. As the Lord showed me the difference between the two.
Is saving grace and gift of faith the same?

All the gifts of God are supernatural..something we can not manifest without the Spirit, right?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back