Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Battling evil desires

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The Lord is the creator

He created us and we have flesh.

We of course have desires that come from having flesh - like: breathing, eating, and even a sexual desire.

The desire then are not bad are given to us with the flesh to maintain the flesh. We might call them laws of the flesh.

Evil spirits try to use the desire to turn us away from the Lord our God, Jesus Christ.

Them doing that is called temptation - and so temptation does not come from God but from evil spirits.

We are all tempted, even Jesus Christ was tempted in the flesh.

Jesus Christ does send His Holy Spirit who tells us the words Jesus Christ, the Lord our God, has for us.

So we need to discern between good, the Holy Spirit, and evil, those spirits who tempt us.

The evil spirits wish to keep you in the dark; meaning they don't want you to know the above - that they are around.

God tends to speak to us in parables. "Sin" is not only used for the action of sinning, but also as a name for the evil spirits tempting us to sin.

Sin - therefore is a spirit who tells us we don't have them.

Don't listen to sin, but we still have to test the spirits
Good to have some input here. Puh..
Couldn't have said it better!

So we need to have faith and knowledge in order to test the spirits and refute temptation and the lies.

Are you sure that you understand the scriptures correctly?

1 Peter is talking about judgement. Not about loosing salvation.
Christians will all be judged and or rewarded. This is not talking about salvation or damnation.
That is how i read it..
What happens at the day of judgement?
The sheep go to the right and the goats go to the left.
The sinners find that their names are not written in the book of life, and are cast into the lake of fire.
2 Corinthians. What became new is the real you. Your spirit.
Did you get a new body?
Yes they are connected. Yet they are different.
Different only in that you can see one but not the other.
The new mind is in control of the new body.

All sin is "on purpose", so if something happens accidentally, it doesn't qualify as sin...in the NT.
James writes..." Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (James 1:13-15)
Without lust, an enticement, and conception, there is no sin.
As for lust, it is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
Seeing as lust can't be re-procured by those that are Christ's, that third of the "formula" makes sin impossible...for those that are Christ's.
The things the devil tempts us with now are just the memories of the crucified lusts.
They have no power over those that are Christ's.
So it is not possible to do sin. And not realizing it? At least at the time?
You're definitely very optimistic.
I give you that! ;)

The sinners find that their names are not written in the book of life, and are cast into the lake of fire.

Yes. The sheep being those that accepted Christ while living. The goats th3 ones that refused to believe.
This happens before we die. Not after.
Judgement is only the consequence of our choices in life.

Th3 mind controls the body. ?

Anyway Hopeful.
I will be the first to say that I don't know everything, and I certainly might be wrong on some things that I say.
If i am wrong then i ask for forgiveness.
My honest wish is that we only get better and better..

Correct.
If you are not tempted to do something how can it be a sin?

I rest on the word of God.
You are tempted yes. But you are tricked into believing a lie. Not understanding it is a lie. Believing it is true.
It is called deception for a reason.
I pray that you do. And so will i.

Anyway Hopeful.
I will be the first to say that I don't know everything, and I certainly might be wrong on some things that I say.
If i am wrong then i ask for forgiveness.
My honest wish is that we only get better and better..
You've done nothing to warrant a forgiveness.
And our wishes are the same.
To grow in grace and knowledge honors our God and His Son Jesus Christ.

The choosing happens before we are called home but not the judgement.

Amen, though I would hesitate to say "only".

Amen to that.
Haha. I actually felt a bit wrong about that word. But you know what I mean..

His sheep -those who hear His voice don't come into judgement

Someone telling you to go a certain way is not judgment, but one way might lead to judgement

Believers are "reckon" to be righteous, because they hear Him and believe it is Him, not because of their "good works" - but because of His "good works". Of course if you hear Him you are going to try and do what He says if you believe it is the Lord talking to you. So a person listening and doing what the Lord Jesus Christ tells them, we be about doing what their Lord told them ... not perfectly because people are not God, but they are still "reckon" as righteous because they believe. Demons can still talk to them, tempt them, and come after them. They still have the battle with dark forces. Yet Jesus has already justified them. Which is not a reason to sin, and is indeed a reason not to going on sinning. But the person saying they have no sin is deceiving themselves and the truth is not in them.
I rest on the word of God.
You should understand that Jesus Christ is the "Word of God"! He was the One who spoke to John who explain that if you say you have no sin you are deceiving yourself.
You've done nothing to warrant a forgiveness.
All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but if you seek Him for forgiveness He is faithful to forgive you. Indeed, He told us to pray the Lord's prayer when we get into that place with the Lord and it has a request for Him to forgive our debts - you don't need to pray that if you have not sin, but He said to pray that way

Mat 6:6 “But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Mat 6:9 Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.

Mat 6:12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

If your conclusion that a believer can not sin then Jesus was wrong to tell us to ask for forgiveness. If you conclusion that a believer can not have sin then the statement John made about being deceived if you say that is not from God.

If you conclusion about a believer being righteous because of they do everything right instead of because God forgives us our sins means we are not saved by faith but by our righteousness instead of His righteousness. That conclusion leads a person away from the Lord, asking His forgiveness, asking for His wonderful counsel, seeking instructions from Him for the right thing to do, and causes people to not live in the truth but in a live they use to deceive themselves.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
Those "IN" Christ do not sin, as there is no sin in Christ.
They who have been washed by the blood of Christ are sanctified. (Atoned for, consecrated, set apart, blessed, made holy.)
Perhaps you were thinking of another word?
sanctification has 3 phrases we are in the 2nd stage being changed from Glory to Glory .the final stage is when we make it to heaven.

His sheep -those who hear His voice don't come into judgement
That isn't the impression I get from Peter.
He said..."For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17)
Someone telling you to go a certain way is not judgment, but one way might lead to judgement
Believers are "reckon" to be righteous, because they hear Him and believe it is Him, not because of their "good works" - but because of His "good works". Of course if you hear Him you are going to try and do what He says if you believe it is the Lord talking to you. So a person listening and doing what the Lord Jesus Christ tells them, we be about doing what their Lord told them ... not perfectly because people are not God, but they are still "reckon" as righteous because they believe. Demons can still talk to them, tempt them, and come after them. They still have the battle with dark forces. Yet Jesus has already justified them. Which is not a reason to sin, and is indeed a reason not to going on sinning. But the person saying they have no sin is deceiving themselves and the truth is not in them.
If one is doing evil works they are not hearing or believing Him.
You should understand that Jesus Christ is the "Word of God"! He was the One who spoke to John who explain that if you say you have no sin you are deceiving yourself.
John is speaking of those who walk in darkness in 1 John 1: 8.
Those from 1 John 1: 7 have had ALL their sins washed away by the blood of Christ, and are happy to say so.
All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but if you seek Him for forgiveness He is faithful to forgive you. Indeed, He told us to pray the Lord's prayer when we get into that place with the Lord and it has a request for Him to forgive our debts - you don't need to pray that if you have not sin, but He said to pray that way
He didn't tell "us".
He was talking to His apostles. Men of the OT.
That prayer has been answered.
Mat 6:6 “But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
Mat 6:9 Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Mat 6:12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
If your conclusion that a believer can not sin then Jesus was wrong to tell us to ask for forgiveness. If you conclusion that a believer can not have sin then the statement John made about being deceived if you say that is not from God.
If you conclusion about a believer being righteous because of they do everything right instead of because God forgives us our sins means we are not saved by faith but by our righteousness instead of His righteousness. That conclusion leads a person away from the Lord, asking His forgiveness, asking for His wonderful counsel, seeking instructions from Him for the right thing to do, and causes people to not live in the truth but in a live they use to deceive themselves.
Are you going to the temple to offer for your sins as the scriptures tell you to do?
Some of the bible was for those living an OT life.
It has no bearing on Christian life.

sanctification has 3 phrases we are in the 2nd stage being changed from Glory to Glory .the final stage is when we make it to heaven.
That doctrine is refuted by Heb 2:11..."For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,.
Your POV implies that we are not one with Him or brethren...yet.

And Heb 10:10..."By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."
Past tense for me.
His body was offered and we were sanctified by the application of the blood of the perfect sacrifice.
Of course if you have yet to have that blood applied to you, sanctification is still in your future.

That doctrine is refuted by Heb 2:11..."For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,.
Your POV implies that we are not one with Him or brethren...yet.
i think you might should study sanctification more close sanctify justify made righteous holiness are all words in same family but just a lil bit different type action. our first step is postinal we placed into the Body of Christ set apart to be Holy.the next step is called progressive we grow in the grace and knowledge of Him. .the final can be called ultimate. our growth is done we made it home.. can you say your actions every day represent Holiness which is also sanctification ................NOBODY said we was not sanctified .but that we are a work in progress changed from glory to gory

2 Corinthians 3:18

King James Version

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord... i ask you what is that change and why is it needed . i dont have time to give scripture for the 3 steps / sunday is a very busy day for me.

That isn't the impression I get from Peter.
It's not your "impression" you are looking for - your are looking to hear what Jesus Christ tells you via His Holy Spirit1 You should pick up the Holy Spirit talking to you in "words", but we people often don't pay attention to Him and practice using our spiritual senses, like hearing, so He often comes across as an impression. Still, your thoughts are not His thoughts, and you should be able to separate your impressions, from His words, but only if you are seeking Him and not your impressions.
If one is doing evil works they are not hearing or believing Him.
Anyone doing evil is not hearing from Him, but none of us do and say only what He tells them. Indeed, how often do you actually test the spirits like told to do?

1 Jn 4-:1-3 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.

So do have been testing all the spirits by using the above test??

I have known a lot of Christians and I rarely find one who when asked actually ever use the above test. Many rarely even pick Him up in "words", because too often we don't practice listening to Him - so we have alot of Christians who are very dull of hearing - they occasionally pick Him up via an impression.

That happens because we personally don't realize that we really do have a battle with the dark evil forces of this world!!

And so it is with most people coming to our churches, and who are we to judge them?? Is not the Lord bringing them to our churches. So He is the One to judge them, not me. Which is why Paul wrote that the Lord gave Him a messenger from Satan "in" His flesh.

He didn't tell "us".
He was talking to His apostles. Men of the OT.
Oh yes, He brought this up, but you might not have understood. He specifically talked to the Pharisees about how come David wrote "The Lord said to my Lord". If you didn't understand, David heard conversations between the Father and the Son, via the Holy Spirit back them. Yet there is a whole lot more. Did you not read and indeed hear from the Holy Spirit that Jesus Christ is Lord? And did you not make the connection that when the prophets of old said "Lord: they were talking about the Christ?

Let me give you a quick revelation:

Jesus Christ is called the Word of God - that is His name.

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

So take that information and apply it to the verses where you read "the word of the Lord" You understand that the Lord He is God, right? So "the Word of God" and "the word of the Lord" means the same person, right?

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.”

So that verse could read 'After these things Jesus Christ came to Abram in a vision, saying "Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great

Of course the Christ had not taken on flesh and gone to the cross then, so He was not "Jesus" (God's salvation) yet, but He has always been the Word of God!! He was indeed the One speaking to the prophets of the Old Testament, but to some that is a revelation - so it was that John had mentioned it in the book Revelation.

The Spirit was telling me, "Karl, the message is not 'You sinners, you need the Lord Jesus Christ' it is 'We sinners, we need the Lord Jesus Christ."

Is this not right? Is it not written that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God? Is it not written to all of us that our help comes from above.

I have had people tell me that if someone comes an alcoholic, they have to be very careful to not let it come back on them. I actually heard some tell me that once and alcoholic always an alcoholic so they can't even take a single drink or else they might fall of the wagon. It is a battle, a struggle for them. Now I am not saying the Lord can't help, but I was told this by very dedicated Christians. BTW, that is not a problem I have. I don't like the taste of alcohol and never have,

My problem is more with soda. I drink to much soda for sure, and the Lord deals with me concerning that. He doesn't make me stop but He often has me cut back. He often asks me to go a day or two without soda. But if you don't listen to Him everyday called "Today" do you even know what your struggle is with?

Do we even know that it is a sin to not listen to Him???

Still, He stands at the door and knocks and we don't open the door and spend time talking back and forth with Him everyday. Then we sometimes think we are righteous and always do the right thing, forgetting that all unrighteousness is sin. If you did not hear from Him today, you are a sinner!! What day do you think you should hear from Him if not "Today"?

So if I was to ask, you should be able to tell me about the conversations that you and Him had.

Heb 3:7 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, “TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,

Rev 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So if He is always standing there knocking with His voice, you must have always been hearing Him knock with His voice, so certainly "Today" at the very least you should have heard from Him.

i think you might should study sanctification more close sanctify justify made righteous holiness are all words in same family but just a lil bit different type action. our first step is postinal we placed into the Body of Christ set apart to be Holy.the next step is called progressive we grow in the grace and knowledge of Him. .the final can be called ultimate. our growth is done we made it home.. can you say your actions every day represent Holiness which is also sanctification ................NOBODY said we was not sanctified .but that we are a work in progress changed from glory to gory

2 Corinthians 3:18 King James Version​

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord... i ask you what is that change and why is it needed . i dont have time to give scripture for the 3 steps / sunday is a very busy day for me.
I see, you use progressive sanctification as a substitute word for growing in grace and knowledge.
To me, we are set apart, made holy, consecrated, atoned for, and cleansed, or we are not.
Those are words defining sanctification.

It's not your "impression" you are looking for - your are looking to hear what Jesus Christ tells you via His Holy Spirit1 You should pick up the Holy Spirit talking to you in "words", but we people often don't pay attention to Him and practice using our spiritual senses, like hearing, so He often comes across as an impression. Still, your thoughts are not His thoughts, and you should be able to separate your impressions, from His words, but only if you are seeking Him and not your impressions.
Did you miss the scripture I included about being judged on the last day?
Anyone doing evil is not hearing from Him, but none of us do and say only what He tells them. Indeed, how often do you actually test the spirits like told to do?

1 Jn 4-:1-3 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.

So do have been testing all the spirits by using the above test??

I have known a lot of Christians and I rarely find one who when asked actually ever use the above test. Many rarely even pick Him up in "words", because too often we don't practice listening to Him - so we have alot of Christians who are very dull of hearing - they occasionally pick Him up via an impression.

That happens because we personally don't realize that we really do have a battle with the dark evil forces of this world!!

And so it is with most people coming to our churches, and who are we to judge them?? Is not the Lord bringing them to our churches. So He is the One to judge them, not me. Which is why Paul wrote that the Lord gave Him a messenger from Satan "in" His flesh.

Oh yes, He brought this up, but you might not have understood. He specifically talked to the Pharisees about how come David wrote "The Lord said to my Lord". If you didn't understand, David heard conversations between the Father and the Son, via the Holy Spirit back them. Yet there is a whole lot more. Did you not read and indeed hear from the Holy Spirit that Jesus Christ is Lord? And did you not make the connection that when the prophets of old said "Lord: they were talking about the Christ?

Let me give you a quick revelation:

Jesus Christ is called the Word of God - that is His name.

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

So take that information and apply it to the verses where you read "the word of the Lord" You understand that the Lord He is God, right? So "the Word of God" and "the word of the Lord" means the same person, right?

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.”

So that verse could read 'After these things Jesus Christ came to Abram in a vision, saying "Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great

Of course the Christ had not taken on flesh and gone to the cross then, so He was not "Jesus" (God's salvation) yet, but He has always been the Word of God!! He was indeed the One speaking to the prophets of the Old Testament, but to some that is a revelation - so it was that John had mentioned it in the book Revelation.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back