Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Believe in God, you will be saved

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
There is one Baptism that saves us now...the one the cleanses the heart...
There is but one baptism that saves.
Jesus preached in prison (grave), and IMHO puts those in Abrahams bosom aware of the Gospel. Those since Jesus hear the Gospel while alive.

Three previous posts being formulated at the same time.

eddif

I agree with you that this is the way most persons become saved.
They hear about God and His plan for fallen humanity.
Or they read either the bible or some other book that allows them to come to believe in God as a reality.

Then they find out what God wants and they are determined to do this and they are thus saved.

I don't believe in a formula, however.

I've seen too much that does not follow any pattern and yet the person loves God and follows Him.

What I've come to believe is that a person must:
1. Acknowledge that God exists.
2. Understand that they are fallen.
3. Give their life to God.
4. If they've heard of Jesus, they must come to some understanding as to who He is.
Jerry gave you this.
Rom 10:17. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
What does this passage mean?
It means that true faith comes through hearing Gods word. If what you do cant be found in Gods word then it cant be by faith.
For example… The sinners prayer.
Everybody now a days is told that all they have to do is believe and pray for salvation and youll be saved.
But this cannot be found any where in the NT. There is not a command, no example of anyone doing this for salvation or in order to be born again. So as per Rom 10:17 one cannot, by faith, pray for there salvation. This is all man made and didn’t come from God.
Just like your 1-4 formula is all man made. None of it can be found in Gods word (which is why you didnt post any scripture next to any of it) therefore cannot be done ”by faith”.

When we sin, we do not need to repent AGAIN.
We fell down, we ask forgiveness, get up and keep going.

Every time we sin we do not become lost again and need to become born again.
I believe this is what eddif was saying.
The word of God tells me just the opposite. I can either believe what you made up or have been taught or I can believe an inspired apostle of God.
When Simon in acts 8 believed and was baptized into Christ he then continued right back into sin and here is what Peter told him.
Acts 8:20-22 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
Here is a Christian that fell back into sin. He was then told to repent and pray for forgiveness. Now, I can believe someone like you and your message or I can believe an inspired apostle of God. Who do you think Im going to believe.
Remember….faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
What you just preached above does not come from the word of God.

Great Commission might have 3? Aspects of salvation

John’s water baptism of Repentance
( sins against the Father)

Jesus baptism of salvation
(Immersed in belief?)

Baptism of Holy Spirit
( power to be a witness)

With the various translations it is pretty hard to even discuss this.
Also
Every group tends to have formula.

eddif
The great commission DOES NOT include Johns baptism or HS baptism. If so, where, in the Great commission, do we find it spoken of?
And why is it hard to discuss because of other translations?

There is but one baptism that saves.
Jesus preached in prison (grave), and IMHO puts those in Abrahams bosom aware of the Gospel. Those since Jesus hear the Gospel while alive.

Three previous posts being formulated at the same time.

eddif
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. JOHN 17

Repent, in context of the Gospel, means “turn to God”
it also means to turn from
2 Corinthians 7:10
“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.” its a 2 way street and i preach repentance

“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.” its a 2 way street and i preach repentance

“turn from” Satan as lord.

turn from sin period saved or lost both have to repent

So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:15-18

So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:15-18
we still have to repent just how it is

Matthew
Matthew 7:14 kjv
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The gate
The way
Find It

Two way streets have traffic going in opposite directions.

Then as a redneck maybe I am confused.

eddif

Matthew

Matthew 7:14 kjv
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The gate
The way
Find It

Two way streets have traffic going in opposite directions.

Then as a redneck maybe I am confused.

eddif
The "two ways" are...Godly sorrow that worketh repentance from sin, or worldly sorrow that leads to death.

You done good.

Rest of story.
Hebrews 6.1 kjv
1. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2. Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3. And this will we do, if God permit.
4. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5. And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6. If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

There is a path that leads to Jesus.

Once we reach Jesus we do not backtrack to repentance and start again ( if we sin). We confess our sin and move forward in faith.

This is a difficult passage for me. I read, re read, read a third time ….,

Some people have not found Jesus yet. To them they are still on the path toward Jesus, and this does not yet fully apply to them. We want all to come to salvation through Christ Jesus.

eddif
I believe I forgot to say that the above sentence is very important to understand in our Christian walk.
There's another poster here that doesn't seem to know the difference between repenting and confessing due to sorrow felt for our sinning.

It’s NOT telling us we can be saved eternally just because we know there is a God by what we can experience around us. What it does say is…..we can know through His creation that there is a God and with that knowledge it is now up to us to seek him out and find him. A person that truly believes that there is a God of this world will want to learn and know everything they can about who he is and what he wants. That is what he meant by…they are without excuse. We, by viewing the world around us, can know there is a God and we will be lost and without excuse if we do not seek him out.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him
This passage describes two aspects of pleasing faith.
First, you must believe in God.

Second, you must diligently seek him.
What if you dont “diligently seek him”? You wont have a faith that is pleasing to God.
Agreed.
Those that diligently seek will eventually find...

My point was that even without the bible it is possible to be saved.

In the old days, some did not hear the gospel message, but were saved anyway.
Jesus died for the whole world.
1 John 2:2

I believe I forgot to say that the above sentence is very important to understand in our Christian walk.
There's another poster here that doesn't seem to know the difference between repenting and confessing due to sorrow felt for our sinning.
and who might that poster be ? do you hold a degree in theology?

My point was that even without the bible it is possible to be saved.

In the old days, some did not hear the gospel message, but were saved anyway.
Jesus died for the whole world.
hmm where you get that ? there has to be some type word ..you dont just wake up and say i am getting saved today . a seed has to be planted faith comes by hearing
The Word Brings Salvation romans 10
…16But not all of them welcomed the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?” 17Consequently, faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18But I ask, did they not hear? Indeed they did: “Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”…

and who might that poster be ? do you hold a degree in theology?
See post 293.
I think it was you actually.

The talk is about repenting.

There's a problem with this word because in our every day language it means TO BE SORRY FOR.

In Christianity's language it means TO CHANGE DIRECTION.

We CHANGE direction and turn toward God only ONE TIME in our decision to follow Him.
We are sorry for our sins...but it is not necessary to change our direction again each time.

When you sin, are you headed toward God?
Or did you decide to become unsaved and walk back toward satan?

JLB wrote a very good post on the above....no. 300

Back