Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Biblical inerrancy

okay, now don't nobody get offended by what i am about to say.

the bible is full of errors.
i don't have the brain to figure it all out or understand it all.
so now what do i do?

should i just accept what other people tell me or should i continue to believe what the bible says?

FIRST, I am neither upset, nor am I making this personal to anyone.

But there is NO ONE who can prove any errors in the autographa, meaning the original writings. That there are differences in various translations is no question about that. HOWEVER a translation variance =/= an error in the original texts, or autographs. Should anyone be interested in an academic speaking about the reliability of the original texts, HERE is a link. It will take about an hour.

Respectfully, I say that some of the posters here have no real idea of what the term "inerrancy" means. To that end, I made a link to the Chicago statement on Biblical Inerrancy, and since no one has commented on it, I believe that no poster has looked at that page. Since there is no basis of agreement of what the term inerrancy means, those refusing to look at those sources of information are merely pontificating in a sea of academic ignorance. (BTW that is NOT an inflammatory statement because I am using the word to mean "not having sufficient knowledge, and NOT as a personal attack.) Fortunately, the cure of that sort of ignorance is learning.

Therefore I respectfully ask Allenwynne and others to demonstrate where there actually is an error in the autographa. You are asking others to accept your statement uncritically, but that is not possible for me to do. For many reasons to state that there are errors in Scripture is a grave mistake, and it goes to the very nature of who God is, and how well He preserves his Word.

It is not a personal issue with me. Because I disagree with your statement and I ask for proofs of that statement, I am not your enemy. Instead, I am doing as any other friend would do to a statement that sounds funny, and asking "Where's the beef?" Show me an example of what you say. Then we can go on from there on Monday.

This is both complex and easy.

The complex version is there are numerous scholars, linguists, theologians, etc. and they will translate, revise, interpret, validate, cross reference, triple check, etc etc etc until they are blue in the face. From that, they produce a Bible for whatever publishing house they work for, pop a copyright on it, and send it out into the world. Many denominations (and cults) have their own version of the Bible. As you work your way through life, you try to find a church where you "fit in" and agree with their views. If accomplished, you tend to adopt their views and interpretations of God's word. For some, it is whatever they grew up with and they follow their parents into the church.

The easy version, and what I adhere to, is reading the Bible for yourself and developing your own personal relationship with God. As you read you'll start realizing that the Bible speaks of being kind, honest, truthworthy, loving, compassionate, etc. and it will appeal to your most basic senses. Follow that and you'll find your own path to God. The Lord could care less if you can't read Greek, Hebrew, can quote the Bible from memory, whether or not you go to church or worship on your own. In the end it is not the "label" you wear but how you lived, and was it in accordance with what He commanded.

Your statements are not in keeping with what happens on a translation committee. I studied Hebrew under a man who was on the final revision committee of the NIV, directly serving under Bruce Waltke.

Nor does your statement agree with any record of how the Bible was transmitted to us today. That sort of knowledge will build you up in the faith because it will tell you of many ways how God preserved His Word from error.

I'll bite...but just this once. Don't expect a reply.

But there is NO ONE who can prove any errors in the autographa, meaning the original writings.

That is because the original writings no longer exist. All we have are copies, or autographs of the autographa. Furthermore, many scholars agree that it is a better approach to use the term "infallible" instead of "inerrant," as the former gives more wiggle room for interpretation. The 1978 Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy concluded that, "no present manuscript or copy of Scripture, no matter how accurate, can be called inerrant." This conclusion was reached by conservative evangelicals. With the adoption of infallible scripture, it simply means that the Bible can't mislead or deceive, but does not necessarily mean that there are not errors or revisions needed. Inerrancy means "without error," and modern scholars try and stay away from that stance because documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls have proven that errors do exist in the Bible. It may be as simple as a single word, but the Bible is certainly not without errors or contradictions.

Besides, a 2011 Gallop Poll shows that while Americans believe in the Word of God, 49% state that the Bible is not to be taken literally word for word.

I'm done. Peace out!

Besides, a 2011 Gallop Poll shows that while Americans believe in the Word of
God, 49% state that the Bible is not to be taken literally word for word.
Higher % voted for Obama and they not right either...:)

Higher % voted for Obama and they not right either...:)

I agree! Americans should have gotten behind Ron Paul. :thumbsup

But the 49% thing just shows that more and more people are starting to move into "new age" thinking. The scary statistic is that 20% of Americans now identify themselves as atheist or agnostic, an all time high.

That is because the original writings no longer exist. All we have are copies, or autographs of the autographa. Furthermore, many scholars agree that it is a better approach to use the term "infallible" instead of "inerrant," as the former gives more wiggle room for interpretation. The 1978 Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy concluded that, "no present manuscript or copy of Scripture, no matter how accurate, can be called inerrant." This conclusion was reached by conservative evangelicals. With the adoption of infallible scripture, it simply means that the Bible can't mislead or deceive, but does not necessarily mean that there are not errors or revisions needed. Inerrancy means "without error," and modern scholars try and stay away from that stance because documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls have proven that errors do exist in the Bible. It may be as simple as a single word, but the Bible is certainly not without errors or contradictions.

Besides, a 2011 Gallop Poll shows that while Americans believe in the Word of God, 49% state that the Bible is not to be taken literally word for word.

I'm done. Peace out!

And how exactly is a Gallup poll relevant to what the Bible says, or the issue of inerrancy?

As to the copies of copies, you are partially correct. However the text of the NT is indisputable by even the liberal scholars. That is because there are three main "families" of the NT manuscripts, and they are from OVER 5500 different sources. With that many sources, and some of them from the first century, the majority are later, due to the care that was exercised by the scribes scholars are able to determine exactly where and when a scribal gloss happened. within a family. But they are also able to compare two other families, and compare one family's gloss with other families, which do not have that gloss, and they determine that the original text should read such-and-such.

All told, someone estimated that 200,00 such glosses exist, but that is good news. Because the scholars can see them, they can also categorize them. Thus there are versions of the Koine Greek NT that have every known variant listed, and rated. The NT text doing that is the Nestle Aland NT, and it is in its 28th edition.

Here is an excerpt from the intro from Prof. Dr. David Trobisch:
The long-awaited 28th edition of the Novum Testamentum Graece has now been published. Once again the editors thoroughly examined the critical apparatus and they introduced more than 30 textual changes in the Catholic Letters, reflecting recent comprehensive collations. With the intent to make this book more user-friendly, the editors also revised the introductions and provided more explanations in English. This concise edition of the Greek New Testament, which has now grown to 1,000 pages, will continue to play a leading role in academic teaching and scholarly exegesis.
As to your assertion in bold. I do not know from where you get your data, but it is in error. The copying of the OT manuscripts was extremely precise, and had lots of rules to followed by a scribe. If the rules were broken, and an error found, the scroll was burned, and it was started over, new.

The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) marked a very important milestone in the area of inerrancy. AS you may know, they were written c. 125BC by the Essene sect, of which John the Baptist was familiar, or perhaps a member. (pardon the diverson) That is because the Jewish scribes continued making copies of the OT by hand until the advent of the printing press. Around 600 AD, the Rabbis got together and compiled in one place what is now called the Masoretic Text (MT) of the OT. they took the best manuscripts, and placed them into a codex. That is still the standard Hebrew work of the OT today.

for various reasons, the DSS was not available, except a select few Jewish scholars, but when they were released the scholars determined an almost 100% correlation between the DSS and the MT in the book of Isaiah. That is over 700 years of hand copying, and a nearly identical text. That speaks volumes about the care to which the Jewish scribes wrote their OT throughout the centuries preceding.

Can you see how carefully the Word of God has been preserved for centuries? That is just one reason why I am an inerrantist.

I'm done. Peace out!

And how exactly is a Gallup poll relevant to what the Bible says, or the issue of inerrancy?

As to the copies of copies, you are partially correct. However the text of the NT is indisputable by even the liberal scholars. That is because there are three main "families" of the NT manuscripts, and they are from OVER 5500 different sources. With that many sources, and some of them from the first century, the majority are later, due to the care that was exercised by the scribes scholars are able to determine exactly where and when a scribal gloss happened. within a family. But they are also able to compare two other families, and compare one family's gloss with other families, which do not have that gloss, and they determine that the original text should read such-and-such.

All told, someone estimated that 200,00 such glosses exist, but that is good news. Because the scholars can see them, they can also categorize them. Thus there are versions of the Koine Greek NT that have every known variant listed, and rated. The NT text doing that is the Nestle Aland NT, and it is in its 28th edition.

Here is an excerpt from the intro from Prof. Dr. David Trobisch:
The long-awaited 28th edition of the Novum Testamentum Graece has now been published. Once again the editors thoroughly examined the critical apparatus and they introduced more than 30 textual changes in the Catholic Letters, reflecting recent comprehensive collations. With the intent to make this book more user-friendly, the editors also revised the introductions and provided more explanations in English. This concise edition of the Greek New Testament, which has now grown to 1,000 pages, will continue to play a leading role in academic teaching and scholarly exegesis.
As to your assertion in bold. I do not know from where you get your data, but it is in error. The copying of the OT manuscripts was extremely precise, and had lots of rules to followed by a scribe. If the rules were broken, and an error found, the scroll was burned, and it was started over, new.

The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) marked a very important milestone in the area of inerrancy. AS you may know, they were written c. 125BC by the Essene sect, of which John the Baptist was familiar, or perhaps a member. (pardon the diverson) That is because the Jewish scribes continued making copies of the OT by hand until the advent of the printing press. Around 600 AD, the Rabbis got together and compiled in one place what is now called the Masoretic Text (MT) of the OT. they took the best manuscripts, and placed them into a codex. That is still the standard Hebrew work of the OT today.

For various reasons, the DSS was not available, except a select few Jewish scholars, but when they were released the scholars determined an almost 100% correlation between the DSS and the MT in the book of Isaiah. That is over 700 years of hand copying, and a nearly identical text. That speaks volumes about the care to which the Jewish scribes wrote their OT throughout the centuries preceding.

Can you see how carefully the Word of God has been preserved for centuries? That is just one reason why I am an inerrantist.

I said I would not reply, but I have to reply to this one part to make things historically accurate. During the early part of Judaism and Christianity (and every other culture/religion for that mattter), scribes would painstakingly copy the Bible (holy books, scrolls, etc.) by hand because they did not have a printing press. Every word, every number, every piece of punctuation.

If they were translating from their source document into a different language, they would often write notes along the margins (many of us do that today) in an attempt to cross reference verses, phrases and words, because they wanted to be as accurate as possible (but they were not always 100% successful). Their documents would then be stored away. Some time later, another scribe/scholar would come along and do the same thing, although now they have not only their source documents, but also the notes that their predecessors left behind. Those notes intermittently wound up being included in the next rendition/revision. History (not the Bible) has told us this.

The original documents (the ones written by Moses for example) are long gone, having been destroyed ages ago. All that we have are copies of copies that were hand written by a scribe way back when, and include those "notes" from previous scribes. It is important to understand that you will not find this information in the Bible, but rather history textbooks. The Bible is not a textbook. It does not claim to be a timeline of history. Since we can't compare any source text to the originals (the autographa) then it becomes a non-issue. The Bible has oversights and contradictions (you can read them for yourself) not because of God, but because of human error.

Comment which was derogatory toward believers of biblical inerrancy deleted by staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said I would not reply, but I have to reply to this one part to make things historically accurate. During the early part of Judaism and Christianity (and every other culture/religion for that mattter), scribes would painstakingly copy the Bible (holy books, scrolls, etc.) by hand because they did not have a printing press. Every word, every number, every piece of punctuation.

Your desire to be historical;ly accurate is good. What you are stating in the above sentences in not according to history, nor is it accurate.
You mention punctuation. there was no punctuation in either the Hebrew or Greek manuscripts. In the Greek manuscripts the Bible was written as unicals. These are capital letters only run next to each other, and without any punctuation. Punction is a relatively later invention, as is uniformity of spelling. As a result, a simple sentence would look like this: JESUISCHRISTISMYSAVIORSANCTIFIERANDCOMINGKING.

At Colgate Rochester Divinity School, encased in acrylic is a replica of the real Chester Beatty Payparus. I had it in my hands, and I can assure you that it was written in Unicals. BTW, that papyrus is a portion of John, and it id dated c. 96

Like modern Hebrew, there are only consonants in earlier Hebrew. The vowel pointing is an invention to help non Jews pronounce the words properly, among other things.

If they were translating from their source document into a different language, they would often write notes along the margins (many of us do that today) in an attempt to cross reference verses, phrases and words, because they wanted to be as accurate as possible (but they were not always 100% successful). Their documents would then be stored away. Some time later, another scribe/scholar would come along and do the same thing, although now they have not only their source documents, but also the notes that their predecessors left behind. Those notes intermittently wound up being included in the next rendition/revision. History (not the Bible) has told us this.

The issue of translation is a discrete issue than the autographs, the topic of the thread. But missing from your critique is the comparison of the early texts in Hebrew and the LXX, or Septuagint.

Since you seem to not want to accept my say-so, here is a brief paragraph:
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Septuagint (sometimes abbreviated LXX) is the name given to the Greek translation of the Jewish Scriptures. The Septuagint has its origin in Alexandria, Egypt and was translated between 300-200 BC. Widely used among Hellenistic Jews, this Greek translation was produced because many Jews spread throughout the empire were beginning to lose their Hebrew language. The process of translating the Hebrew to Greek also gave many non-Jews a glimpse into Judaism. According to an ancient document called the Letter of Aristeas, it is believed that 70 to 72 Jewish scholars were commissioned during the reign of Ptolemy Philadelphus to carry out the task of translation. The term “Septuagint” means seventy in Latin, and the text is so named to the credit of these 70 scholars. [/FONT]
from[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica].http://septuagint.net/
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]This is an important thing, so it is not irrelevant fluff.[/FONT]
The date of the LXX is fix, and agreed to be in the decline of the Greek Empire (Alexander the Great died 330 BC) and before the ascendancy of the Roman Empire.
The date of the DSS is fixed at 125 BC or less
The date of the Masoretic texts are fixed at c.600.
EACH of these correspond almost exactly, with only minor variations such as spelling and numbers due to the way numbers are written in Hebrew. therefore for anyone to assert that the doctrine of inerrancy is false MUST use these texts to establish their premise, and that is an impossible task. Even the most liberal scholars agree to the reliability of the texts, meaning what we have now is exactly what they had back then.

The original documents (the ones written by Moses for example) are long gone, having been destroyed ages ago.
All scholars stipulate that. However, your conclusions do not follow

All that we have are copies of copies that were hand written by a scribe way back when, and include those "notes" from previous scribes.
When the Hebrew scribes copied from the texts, doing as you suggest would break the rules because it would be a sacrilege to write anything else by the proper text on a scroll. That scroll would have been destroyed.

It is important to understand that you will not find this information in the Bible, but rather history textbooks.
Of course! But the issue is not the facts you present, but the conclusions that you draw from them.

The Bible is not a textbook. It does not claim to be a timeline of history.
Actually, it is history of the redemptive acts of God. Therefore the purpose of the Bible is not the same purpose you will find in a college text.

Since we can't compare any source text to the originals (the autographa) then it becomes a non-issue.
That my friend is a non sequitur, meaning that the conclusion does not follow. I demonstrated above how we can use a "triangulation" of three different, but remarkably alike texts all copied by hand, and all within 900 years of each other

The Bible has oversights and contradictions (you can read them for yourself) not because of God, but because of human error.

You have yet to prove that there errors of fact in the autographs. Certainly there are variations that are easily explained, and they are all recognized, and categorized, but they have no bearing on the accuracy of the texts.

Naturally, you have a right to your opinion, but no one has the right to their own set of facts. I believe that I gave you many different facts from different sources. Please consider them. Thank you.

You mention punctuation. there was no punctuation in either the Hebrew or Greek manuscripts.

You have yet to prove that there errors of fact in the autographs. Certainly there are variations that are easily explained, and they are all recognized, and categorized, but they have no bearing on the accuracy of the texts.

This will be my last post on this subject.

The "debate" was Biblical inerrancy. To say that the Bible is inerrant is to say that it is completely without any type of error. No mistakes, no bad translations, no contradictions. That is not the case, and it is also why scholars, including your 1978 Chicago reference, now prefer the term infallible, which simply means the Bible can't deceive or mislead (and I agree that it does not). I mentioned punctuation because scribes that converted the Bible into English also had to do it by hand before the printing press (which wasn't invented until 1440 CE). Furthermore, you now change from "errors" to "errors of facts" which were not in our original conversation. If the Bible was inerrant, there wouldn't be a need for revisions.

You won't sway me in any way, nor I you. As I said before, we should go our separate ways as this is futile.

Dear Friend Vanguard:

From the outset, I knew that I would not convince you of anything different from that you already have a strong feeling about on any subject, regardless of the facts I called to your attention. Thus my aim was to demonstrate to others (and to lurkers) some of the facts in the issue. Adamantly, I strove not to get personal in anything, saying in effect that you are ugly, and your mother dresses you funny. In that I hope I succeeded. If not, I apologize.

Should either one of us continue on this site, we will surely "lock horns" on other issues. Know in advance, I have no ill will towards you due to the discussion here. We both said our piece, and we are both responsible for our heart attitudes when we posted, so we depart from this in peace. Good debate edifies everyone, so we may "lock horns" on another issue, but in my mind, there will be no residual feelings.

In God's Shalom,
By Grace

Yes it's that subject again but I've found some recent articles on this and thought I'd share them.

First up is Al Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary on how absolute biblical inerrancy must be defended at all costs:

http://vimeo.com/50311870

Next to the plate is Peter Enns, biblical scholar and currently teaching at Eastern University, responds to the points raised by Al Mohler:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/petere...ion-at-southern-baptist-theological-seminary/

And finally is Roger Olsen, Professor of Theology at George W. Truett Theological Seminary in Texas discusses the Bible generally:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolson/2012/10/reasons-for-believing-the-bible-is-gods-word/

I don't believe total inerrancy is necessary for the Bible to be Gods word

You are right. Bible is NOT God's Word. No where in Scripture it is said so. First of all, Scripture is NOT the Bible.

Anyone who says Bible or Scripture as God's Word are idol worshipers and blasphemers who exalt a book making it equal to God. Either they do it knowingly or unknowingly, they do a terrible sin of giving the glory which belongs to God to a book. The authority of Scripture is only because it gives witness to Christ.

Scripture is mentioned by Christ in detail. Christ spoke from Scripture.

Luke 24:44-45 Then He said to them, "These [are] the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and [the] Prophets and [the] Psalms concerning Me." And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.

When did people exactly began to include the NT books, letters as Scripture when none of the apostle and Christ Himself never referred as Scripture? The only book in NT that must be valued as equal as Scripture is the Revelation because, it is specifically mentioned that Christ wants us to hear and read.

The reason why most Baptists exalt that way is because, they want to lay-down the foundation of Paul rather than Christ's to get their false doctrines like Eternal Security & Faith Only which Christ never spoke of to make it look like correct by exalting Paul's letter (actually it is a twisted interpretation) to be equal with Scripture and Words of Christ. I think most are brainwashed that OT and NT is scripture and it is God's Word.

You are right. Bible is NOT God's Word. No where in Scripture it is said so. First of all, Scripture is NOT the Bible.

Anyone who says Bible or Scripture as God's Word are idol worshipers and blasphemers who exalt a book making it equal to God. Either they do it knowingly or unknowingly, they do a terrible sin of giving the glory which belongs to God to a book. The authority of Scripture is only because it gives witness to Christ.

Scripture is mentioned by Christ in detail. Christ spoke from Scripture.

Luke 24:44-45 Then He said to them, "These [are] the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and [the] Prophets and [the] Psalms concerning Me." And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.

When did people exactly began to include the NT books, letters as Scripture when none of the apostle and Christ Himself never referred as Scripture? The only book in NT that must be valued as equal as Scripture is the Revelation because, it is specifically mentioned that Christ wants us to hear and read.

The reason why most Baptists exalt that way is because, they want to lay-down the foundation of Paul rather than Christ's to get their false doctrines like Eternal Security & Faith Only which Christ never spoke of to make it look like correct by exalting Paul's letter (actually it is a twisted interpretation) to be equal with Scripture and Words of Christ. I think most are brainwashed that OT and NT is scripture and it is God's Word.

Felix,

I just saw your post and have to ask you why you say the bible is not God's word?

Felix,

I just saw your post and have to ask you why you say the bible is not God's word?

Because, God's Word is Christ and the Words spoken by Him. Nowhere it is mentioned in Scripture that Scripture or Bible is God's Word.

Because, God's Word is Christ and the Words spoken by Him. Nowhere it is mentioned in Scripture that Scripture or Bible is God's Word.

What about 2 Tim 3:16?

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

What about 2 Tim 3:16?

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

When did inspiration became Word of God ?

When did inspiration became Word of God ?

There have been doubts about the proper translation of this sentence, but the translations, King James and the American Standard, make no material difference in the meaning.

The two Versions give the point in the difference of translation. One says: "All scripture" (the Old Testament Scripture), that had made Timothy wise unto salvation, "is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable." The other says: "Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable."

They both declare the Scriptures of God that had gone before were profitable to the man of God: Him who believed in Christ Jesus, for teaching. The same thing is in the following: "Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come." 1 Cor 10:11.

for teaching,—The man of God can find teaching and example, warning and instruction in God's dealings with the Jewish people to help him in every temptation and trial through which he is called to pass.

for reproof,—For reproving mistakes and wrongs in ourselves and others.

for correction,—The Scripture is perceived as the rule of faith, convicting of error and guiding to truth.

for instruction which is in righteousness:—The Scripture teaches by guiding and inspiring the soul in holiness and right living. These instructions are given as in accordance with the will of God as revealed through Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Back