Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Call No Man Father

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You infer that you are already saved.
But a day of judgement in coming where all will be judged.
How can you be so sure that you won't sin again before that day ?
Overconfidence can be a deadly trap.

1. Yes I am and that is what I said.

2. Yes.
All the lost and unbelieving will be judged by Christ at the “great white throne,” and they will face punishment in Hell.

All Believers will stand before Christ as judge. The Bible declares that....
“We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ.”

For believers, the aim of this judgment to declare the measure of your reward in the age to come according to the works done in the body?

3. It is impossible for believers NOT TO SIN after being saved.
Although we truly have been made new in our spirit, we continue to live in a fallen world and have a disposition toward sin and every human being has a sin nature. We continue to sin because we are sinners.

Why does a dog bark? Because he is a dog and that is his nature.
Why does a rattlesnake bite? Because he is a rattlesnake and that is his nature.
Why does a sinner sin? Because he is a sinner and that is his nature.

4. Yes and NO.
It depends entirely on the subject in focus. If it is sports, yes.
If it is whether or not I can have CONFIDENCE in the written Word of God, then NO!

Have you failed to understand that whereas the self-confidence promoted by the world has selfish ambition as its goal in what we can do, the confidence of the believer has a right relationship with God as its aim.

1 Tim 3:15 church is the pillar of truth
You meant 2 Tim 3:16
All scripture
But it does not say scripture alone
Thank you.

Yes.....2 Tim. 3:16.

"ALL Scripture and no, the literal words of "Faith alone" are not there.

However, the word TRINITY is not found anywhere in the Bible either. Do YOU personally agree with the Catholic church that the Bible doctrine of the Trinity is correct???

NO. You post 255 and that meant nothing to me.

In case you did not know this, Dogmas, are the teachings of the Catholic Church that are specified as necessary to be believed. By their very nature, dogmas are intellectual propositions that spell out certain Catholic beliefs.

Now the reason you are so adamite in your postings is really very simple.
The "dogmas" you are believing are "Mandatory" for you.
They’re mandatory—like the net is for tennis or home plate in baseball.

The Catholic dogmas however only apply to Catholic believers.

Protestant believers are not affted by Catholic dogmas as may are not Biblical.
In the catholic forum there is a thread that includes dogma and has all 255 statements

NO. You post 255 and that meant nothing to me.

In case you did not know this, Dogmas, are the teachings of the Catholic Church that are specified as necessary to be believed. By their very nature, dogmas are intellectual propositions that spell out certain Catholic beliefs.

Now the reason you are so adamite in your postings is really very simple.
The "dogmas" you are believing are "Mandatory" for you.
They’re mandatory—like the net is for tennis or home plate in baseball.

The Catholic dogmas however only apply to Catholic believers.

Protestant believers are not affted by Catholic dogmas as may are not Biblical.
No way
It is the divinely revealed truth!
The doctrines of christ
The faith of all Christians
The faith of the apostles acts 2:42 that Christ commanded be taught

And you believe most of them already

Really we can’t keep the commandments?
Correct.

YOU can not keep the commandments.

NO ONE can keep the commandments.

That is exactly why God came as a man in Jesus as the Christ to pay the penalty for mans sins.

My dear Catholic friend, you have failed to understand that The Bible says that the main reason God gave us the law is to drive us to Christ. So the law was given to show man his fallen nature, and believe it or not, to even increase his sin so that he would look away from himself as the answer and turn to the only one who ever could save - Jesus.

Romans 5:20.......
'The law was given so that the trespass might INCREASE. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. "
Gal. 3:23-25......
'Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law."

My dear friend, PLEASE take the time to read the Bible.

Romans 3:4........
"yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."

Written where????

Psalms 116:10-11........
"“I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted: I said in my haste, ‘All men are liars’”.
James 2:10........
"For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker".

Now, right here in front of the world, are you going to say that you have never looked a naked woman with lust????

You have never told a lie???? Not on all you tax returns??? Never when your wife asks you where you have been???

Now before you answer, remember, I AM NO your judge, however the Judge alread know thetthoughts of your heart.

No way
It is the divinely revealed truth!
The doctrines of christ
The faith of all Christians
The faith of the apostles acts 2:42 that Christ commanded be taught

And you believe most of them already
Incorrect!

Catholic yes.......Biblically , NO!

All divinely revealed truth is in the written Word of God.

The Immaculate Conception of Mary is in the minds of men.
The Perpetulant Virginity of Mary is in the minds of men.
Purgatory is in the minds of men.

That’s why we watch and pray
We need God’s grace and helps and gifts of the spirit sacraments etc

Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
But that is not what you implied is it. That is what I said.

You said......."You mean we can not keep the law"?

Rodger

You never replied to the above (posts 351, 352, 353)

but it's OK. You're not required to.
And you're having a nice convo with donadams .

Proceed.
:)
My apologies!

Not to argue the point.....but I am pretty sure that I did answer that question.
However in case it was missed, you said..........

"The NT DOES state that baptism is necessary for entry into the New Covenant.
Jesus Himself ordered the Apostles to baptize in the Great Commission in Matthew 28:19.

Acts 2:38 states that we are to believe and be baptized.

Acts 22:16 states that we are to be baptized in order to wash away our sins.

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes AND is baptized will be saved.

Now, again, allow me to say that to believe that those Scriptures in some way say that water baptism is "Required" in order to be saved is a misunderstanding of the context of those Scriptures.

Allow me to speak to each Scripture you posted. Matthew 28:19.........
"Jesus instructs His apostles to go and make disciples, and then says this: “baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”

#1..Make disciples is a choice for Jesus Christ as Saviour.
#2. Baptizing them is then an act in which the person who choose Christ follows Him in baptism.

Now for the teaching part. This Scripture in Matthew 28:19-20 is a classic case of Hebrew parallelism. The second statement follows the other statement sequentially, and amplifies and further explains the first statement. Such a way of teaching is somewhat foreign to our logic-driven, outline-focused, step-centered Western way of thinking, but was one of the primary ways Middle Eastern teachers and thinkers taught in Biblical times. And lest we forget, Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi so it follows that He would do exactly that.

Acts 2:38......
"And Peter said to them, 'Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

This is the 'go to" Scripture that all those who believe in water baptism use.

Now my dear friend, put aside what you have been told and READ the Scripture.
#1. First repent.
#2. Be baptized.

The word translated "repent" is plural in Greek as is "your." The words "be baptized" and "each of you" are singular. The idea is that you (plural) repent and your sins will be forgiven and you will receive the Holy Spirit. In addition, each of you (singular) is to be baptized as a result of your faith. So again we see when we read the Scripture that baptism follows the choice for Jesus as the Christ when a sinner repents.

NO you have not.

You have posted multiple Scriptures that you have completely misunderstood and have looked at them only through the eyes of your Catholic blogs.

I never said baptism was not real! Again, you have misquoted me.

I actually have said several times that baptism is an act of Christ's command AFTER one is saved by faith in Christ!
You can say you are an elephant but that don’t make you an elephant!

You can say you are born again / saved but that don’t make it so!

The issues is a covenant not a Bible study, and a covenant tequyzn outward visible sign of initiation!

It must be “administered” unto you by those authorized to administer the grace (merits of Christ) of the sacraments instituted by Christ for the salvation of all men!

Thks

I don't really want to discuss this...
but a Catholic will tell you exactly where in the OT and NT you can fnd purgatory.

John says in Revelation that nothing impure will enter into heaven.
Why would he say that if he believed we're purified by Jesus sacrifice?

There's some considering to do here.
I do not blame you for not wanting to discuss those topics. They are very distrubing for you because you have NO answer. Best to ignore them than to fact them,

That is the "Ostrich Doctrine".

No sir, you can not tell me anywhere in the Bible where the words Purgatory are found OR EVEN SUGGESTED OR HINTED AT.

You are correct. Nothing impure will enter heaven.

To enter heaven we must be perfect and we are sinners. Sin can not be in front of God.

What is the answer then. We must be wahed IN THE BLOOD of the God-MAN, Jeus Christ!

Then when God looks upon us in heaven, He sees the BLOOD and not us!

Thank you.

Yes.....2 Tim. 3:16.

"ALL Scripture and no, the literal words of "Faith alone" are not there.

However, the word TRINITY is not found anywhere in the Bible either. Do YOU personally agree with the Catholic church that the Bible doctrine of the Trinity is correct???
Yes and purgation is biblical

Correct.

YOU can not keep the commandments.

NO ONE can keep the commandments.

That is exactly why God came as a man in Jesus as the Christ to pay the penalty for mans sins.

My dear Catholic friend, you have failed to understand that The Bible says that the main reason God gave us the law is to drive us to Christ. So the law was given to show man his fallen nature, and believe it or not, to even increase his sin so that he would look away from himself as the answer and turn to the only one who ever could save - Jesus.

Romans 5:20.......
'The law was given so that the trespass might INCREASE. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. "
Gal. 3:23-25......
'Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law."

My dear friend, PLEASE take the time to read the Bible.

Romans 3:4........
"yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."

Written where????

Psalms 116:10-11........
"“I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted: I said in my haste, ‘All men are liars’”.
James 2:10........
"For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker".

Now, right here in front of the world, are you going to say that you have never looked a naked woman with lust????

You have never told a lie???? Not on all you tax returns??? Never when your wife asks you where you have been???

Now before you answer, remember, I AM NO your judge, however the Judge alread know thetthoughts of your heart.
Please explain
Lk 1:6
Rev 12:17

But that is not what you implied is it. That is what I said.

You said......."You mean we can not keep the law"?
Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing so with Christ l can do all things

I do not blame you for not wanting to discuss those topics. They are very distrubing for you because you have NO answer. Best to ignore them than to fact them,

That is the "Ostrich Doctrine".

No sir, you can not tell me anywhere in the Bible where the words Purgatory are found OR EVEN SUGGESTED OR HINTED AT.

You are correct. Nothing impure will enter heaven.

To enter heaven we must be perfect and we are sinners. Sin can not be in front of God.

What is the answer then. We must be wahed IN THE BLOOD of the God-MAN, Jeus Christ!

Then when God looks upon us in heaven, He sees the BLOOD and not us!
Washed requires baptismal regeneration
Jn 3:5
Acts 22:15
Titus 3:5

It is self evident that you love and prefer your “faith tradition” far more than Christ and the truth he revealed by his apostolic church!

Thanks

Is there something unbiblical about this ancient practice of Christians?

Sign of the Cross!

Christ & Him crucified! 1 cor 2:2

Gal 3:1 …Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Ancient & Universal!

Rev 14:1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.

, St. Caesarius (470–542), the bishop of Arles and one of Christianity’s first best-selling authors, rebuked Christians who signed themselves while on their way to sin.

The holy gesture had its roots as a prayer in apostolic times. Fourth-century Father of the Church St. Basil (329–379) said that the Apostles “taught us to mark with the sign of the cross those who put their hope in the Lord”—that is, those who presented themselves for Baptism.

So early Christians learned to make the sign of the cross at their Baptism when the celebrant marked them with it to claim them for Christ. There is some evidence for this in Scripture. For example, St. Paul reminded the Ephesians that they received the sign at Baptism when he said: “You have been stamped with the seal of the Holy Spirit of the Promise” (1 Cor. 1:13). And Paul may have been speaking of his being signed with the cross at Baptism when he told the Galatians that “I carry branded on my body the marks of Jesus” (Gal. 6:17). I will say more about this later, but for now I merely want to show you that the sign of the cross originated among people who were not far removed from Christ himself.
Early Christians used the thumb or index finger to trace a little cross on their foreheads. They associated the practice with references in Ezekiel 9:7 and Revelation 7:3, 9:4, and 14:1, all of which describe believers bearing God’s seal on their foreheads. That mark was a cross—the Greek letter tau—that was written as a T and stood for the name of God. Origen (c. 185–c. 253), a third-century theologian and spiritual writer, commented on the Ezekiel passage by quoting a writer who said:
The shape of the letter tau presented a resemblance to the figure of the cross and this represented a prophecy of the sign that Christians make on their foreheads. For all the faithful make this sign when they undertake any activity, especially prayer or reading Holy Scripture.

“Who his own self bore our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes you were healed” (1 Peter 2:24). To sign the cross is to recall or announce the gospel of Jesus’ victory for us over sin, death and the devil. That’s why the custom is so ancient and universal.

Tertullian (c. AD 155-220), for example, writing at the end of the second century, testifies that: “At every forward step and movement, at every going in and out, when we put on our clothes and shoes, when we bathe, when we sit at table, when we light the lamps, on couch, on seat, in all the ordinary actions of daily life, we trace upon the forehead the sign.” Elsewhere, he positively identifies the sign: “We Christians wear out our foreheads with the sign of the cross.” [1] The sign of the cross, according to the earliest centuries of Christians, is “the sign of the Lord,” and every baptized Christian was “marked” with it. [2]

St. John of Damascus, who wrote,

"The holy cross was given to us as a sign on our forehead, just as circumcision was given to Israel: for by it we believers are separated and distinguished from unbelievers." [4]

Crossing one’s self thus recalls this seal and confessing the invocation that is said while making this holy sign calls on our God— Father, Son, and Holy Ghost—and is, therefore, a sign of our belief. Indeed, it serves as both a “mini-creed” that asserts our belief in the Triune God into whose name we were baptized (by the blood of Christ but also into the blood of Christ).

St. Cyril, Bishop of Jerusalem (AD 315 – 386), who, in his ancient catechism for children, remarked:

Let us not then be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Be the Cross our seal made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat, and the cup we drink; in our comings in, and goings out; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake… It is the Sign of the faithful and the dread of evils; for He has triumphed over them in it, having made a show of them openly; for when they see the Cross, they are reminded of the Crucified; they are afraid of Him, Who hath bruised the heads of the dragon. Despise not the seal of baptism, because of the freeness of the Gift; but for this rather honor thy Benefactor. [5]

The sign of the Criss Shall be seen in heaven when christ returns!

Matt 24:30

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven…

(For those who claim it is a catholic practice)

During the sixteenth century, some repudiated the sign of the cross because they judged it to be superstitious. But Martin Luther himself did not abandon it and recommended the practice in his Small Catechism in an appendix on family prayer.

There Luther writes:

"In the morning, when you get up, make the sign of the holy cross and say, ‘In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.’ … In the evening when you go to bed, make the sign of the holy cross and say…." [6]

Vincent of Lerins

“With great zeal and closest attention, therefore, I frequently inquired of many men, eminent for their holiness and doctrine, how I might, in a concise and, so to speak, general and ordinary way, distinguish the truth of the Catholic faith from the falsehood of heretical depravity.

“I received almost always the same answer from all of them—that if I or anyone else wanted to expose the frauds and escape the snares of the heretics who rise up, and to remain intact and in sound faith, it would be necessary, with the help of the Lord, to fortify that faith in a twofold manner: first, of course, by the authority of divine law [Scripture] and then by the tradition of the Catholic Church.

“Here, perhaps, someone may ask: ‘If the canon of the scriptures be perfect and in itself more than suffices for everything, why is it necessary that the authority of ecclesiastical interpretation be joined to it?’ Because, quite plainly, sacred Scripture, by reason of its own depth, is not accepted by everyone as having one and the same meaning. . . .

“Thus, because of so many distortions of such various errors, it is highly necessary that the line of prophetic and apostolic interpretation be directed in accord with the norm of the ecclesiastical and Catholic meaning” (The Notebooks [A.D. 434]).

The word translated "repent" is plural in Greek as is "your." The words "be baptized" and "each of you" are singular. The idea is that you (plural) repent and your sins will be forgiven and you will receive the Holy Spirit. In addition, each of you (singular) is to be baptized as a result of your faith.

It is self evident that you love and prefer your “faith tradition” far more than Christ and the truth he revealed by his apostolic church!

Thanks
Incorrect!

Thanks
My friend........you post

Not a single one of those demands water baptism. Why would you use them to support what it does not say.

To some of us that have studied the original Greek, we can say with confidence that the Greek word translated baptism is not mentioned in John 3:5. As I have explained to you several times now, the CONTEXT of "born of water and the Spirit" refer to being born physically and born again spiritually.

As for Acts 22:15, the Greek aorist participle, epikalesamenos, is translated "calling on His name" and refers to action that is taken before that of the main verb, "be baptized." So then Here Paul’s calling on Christ’s name for salvation preceded his water baptism.

As for Titus 3:5, may I say to you that the “washing of regeneration” refers to being born again. That is the 1st act of regeneration by faith and that is the choice for Christ.

The Greek word for “washing” in Titus 3:5 describes the act of cleansing something all over thoroughly. Regeneration means taking an already existing thing and making it new again or starting over. In literal terms, it means “birth again.”

With all due respect and love, may I suggest that you print out these responces so that you can refer to them. You see, you keep posting the same Scriptures over and over and I keep giving you the same answers.

Somewhere it seems to me that you are not reading my answers.

Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing so with Christ l can do all things
That is correct!

However, you still have not responded to my question (x3) if you believe and accept the Catholic doctrine of the Trinity.

May I ask you WHY you are refusing to answer?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back