Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

CAN A REFORMED BELIEVER FALL AWAY FROM FAITH?

I am one who would state there are many in the grave today who regret the choices they made while in the life of the body. But I don't think the Calvinists here are promoting sin nor covetous practices nor love feasts nor corruptions they just believe prechosen by God unto salvation.
I wonder what they use as their proof that they were one of the ones "pre-chosen"?

I wonder what they use as their proof that they were one of the ones "pre-chosen"?
Can I answer that?

They are one of the chosen ones as long as they are enduring to the end...until they're not, then it means they were never a true believer to begin with. Not a very assuring theology to me. They can't know for sure if they were a true believer until the moment they die when all opportunities to be exposed as a fake believer who didn't endure to the end are exhausted.

In the correct theology, you are chosen when you have faith in God concerning the gospel message. And you continue to stay 100% securely saved as long as you continue to believe.

As long as we are in agreement that salvation is by having your sins forgiven, not worked off, then I see no difference.
Yes, as we can do nothing to make up for what we did before we turned from the darkness and unto the light.
I rejoice in God's forgiveness, and for His guidance and protections on this new path.

Can I answer that?

They are one of the chosen ones as long as they are enduring to the end...until they're not, then it means they were never a true believer to begin with. Not a very assuring theology to me.

In the correct theology, you are chosen when you have faith in God concerning the gospel message. And you continue to stay 100% securely saved as long as you continue to believe.
Do you believe that real believers will continue to commit sins, in defiance of God?
I do not.

Yes, as we can do nothing to make up for what we did before we turned from the darkness and unto the light.
I rejoice in God's forgiveness, and for His guidance and protections on this new path.
That's what the gospel of grace is all about.
Amen, amen, and amen!

Do you believe that real believers will continue to commit sins, in defiance of God?
I do not.
Not in defiance of God, but out of weakness and ignorance as we, the children of God, grow up into the qualities of the Spirit.

2Peter 1:8
8For if you possess these qualities and continue to grow in them, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Circumcision by the Spirit is the presence of the Spirit in a person with their spirit.

It is the cutting away of the Sinful Nature, aka the "Flesh," aka Sarx, the Greek word for the sinful state of humans prior to Transformation.

Colossians 2:11 NLT - "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature."

I did by noting that a person can't believe until they are called and they can't be called until someone is sent. My sent one didn't come into my life until my late teens/early twenties. That is when I heard the gospel of the forgiveness of sin through Jesus for the first time.
See Romans 1:19-20
What does it mean??

It is the cutting away of the Sinful Nature, aka the "Flesh," aka Sarx, the Greek word for the sinful state of humans prior to Transformation.

Colossians 2:11 NLT - "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature."
If our sinful nature has been cut away...
what makes us sin, or do we not sin anymore as some believe?

See Romans 1:19-20
What does it mean??
What Paul is explaining in that passage is nature itself shows us there is an architect and builder of all things. And that He has built into us the understanding of natural law, and the element of conscience. And upon these two things a person is able to be a law unto himself by which he can and will be judged. Not meaning he can know and understand the gospel of Jesus Christ, but that he can understand that their are right and wrong things that we can discern by way of nature and conscience and that there is One who judges righteously in justice. So no man is without excuse. For all know that there are various things that are by nature things that are wrong to do. And that the architect and builder of all things will judge us according to that standard of right and wrong.

The presence of the Spirit in a person breaks the authoritative control that the corrupt desires of the flesh have over a natural person. And so the flesh is cut off and cast aside in that way. The only thing literal about it is the presence of the Holy Spirit. He is a greater power in a person than the desires of the flesh that once ruled over them were.

The presence of the Spirit in a person breaks the authoritative control that the corrupt desires of the flesh have over a natural person. And so the flesh is cut off and cast aside in that way. The only thing literal about it is the presence of the Holy Spirit. He is a greater power in a person than the desires of the flesh that once ruled over them were.

I [think] I like the above. :)

Back