Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do I have to be baptised and partake in the eucharist?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of your claims have already been answered in the Catholic Forum, and that would be the proper place to discuss them - one at a time.
However your attitude indicates to me that you have no interest in a rational discussion but just trolling.
So I won't waste my time responding here.
The Catholic forum is in a "safe zone", i.e., protected. You have repeatedly censured me for writing my thoughts in the Catholic forum.

Miriam, if you're reading this, don't believe what Mungo has written. He is the moderator of the Catholic sub-forum and will censure and/or suspend you for posting anything in that sub-forum that is contrary to Catholic dogma.

Last edited:
Great post! Thanks!

I agree with all that you wrote, except for #10. The Bible says that "the love of money is the root of all evil", not money itself.

Agreeing with all that just demonstrates your ignorance of Catholicism

Your disdain for the CC is obvious.
Perhaps you could try to state what you don't like about it but with a different tone?

So this reply is for everyone reading along.
You've stated many incorrect doctrine...
I'd like to correct them for those that are interested in knowing them.
I'd also like to remind everyone that I'm not Catholic but happen to know Catholic theology.

So here we go...:

Jesus was the last revelation from God.
He was not the last representative.
Even YOU are the representative of God.
The Pope is the head of the CC. There is a heirarchy.
As every Protestant church also has,,,even the non-denominational ones.
The Pope, along with the Bishops of the world, make sure that the CC maintains the doctrine it has believed in from the beginning, right after Jesus died and resurrected.

Please try to speak in a more serious tone since these are serious topics.
Mary is said to be the Mother of God.
Of course, God Father comes to mind, but God does not have a mother.
So what does this mean?
It means this:
Is Jesus God?
Yes.
And who bore Him?
Mary.
Then Mary must be the mother of God.

If we deny this, we get into theological difficulties,,,,
such as: Who is Jesus anyway?

Better to avoid them.

If Catholics want to call Mary the Queen of Heaven, it's no skin off anybody's back.
The Word of Faith movement has many weird ideas...maybe we could attack those one day??

And I do believe, as Protestants, that we should hold Mary on a pedestal.
She's the MOTHER OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR.

Let's have some respect for her.

Maybe you could find out what an idol is. Your car could be your idol.
It's something you WORSHIP.
I don't believe a statue can be worshipped....
It's made of stone or marble or wood.
I think what it REPRESENTS is what is worshipped or venerated.
Saints are not worshipped but venerated.
If you don't care for this idea, you should not venerate them.
Any dead person of yours, however, is also a saint if they died a Christian.

Are saints alive or dead?
You could pray to them or not for intercession.
And I don't really know what John 14:16 has to do with this....

Do you learn everything from google?
How about learning Catholicism from an informed Catholic?
I do believe that would be better.
The rest of your sentence is nonsense.
We try to avoid nonsense in the Theology Forum.

Does not merit a reply.

Yes. Although the church is spotless, those that inhabit it are not.
They are humans and humans make big mistakes, crimes, etc.
You'll get no argument from me.
Although, it must be said that every denomination has problems of this nature.

Priests do not forgive sins.
As per John 20:23 they absolve sins. This means that they state that a sin is forgiven OR NOT.
When is a sin not forgiven, or stated as such?
For instance, if a person does not feel sorry.
If you're not sorry for a sin, neither will God forgive you.
Only GOD can forgive sins. Humans only proclaim it.

Indulgences don't cost anything.
Maybe the church took money, criminally by humans, hundreds of years ago,
but this is absolutely not done today.
Apparently, you don't understand what an indulgence is.
(I also don't agree with them, BTW).

You should respect the Catholic Church because if it weren't for the CC,
YOU would not be on this forum as a Christian.

I've spent time responding to your post,
I expect a serious answer.
Thanks.
Personally, I don't like it nor do I think it is appropriate for persons from one camp making statements about what those from another camp believe. Protestants and Catholics do this all the time. Protestants from one denomination do this with regards to other denominations. Most of the time when this is done, it is done with misunderstanding.

This is partly why our TOS 1.4 says, "Do not misquote or misrepresent another member. Do not state a negative opinion about a member's denomination, leaders, founders, or the veracity of a member's faith."

Perhaps we're better off speaking of what we do believe and let others share what they believe.

I started a thread on Transubstantiation - here: Transubstantiation
I am most definitely not interested! a) It is discussed in the Catholic forum. Since you have repeatedly kicked me out of that sub-forum, why should I bother to try to discuss transubstantiation there? You would just kick me out again. So I will stick to discussing it and similar matters in forums where there is a free exchange of ideas.

True believers want to learn from God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God's word, the Bible, not the teachings of a single denomination. It's a sad situation to think otherwise.

I wonder why God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God's word teaches hundreds of contradictory doctrines.
According to Dave Armstrong (A Biblical Defence of Catholicism) "By 1577, the book 200 Interpretations of the Word, “This is My Body” was published at Ingolstadt, Germany.”
Presumably all taught by God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God's word.

Personally, I don't like it nor do I think it is appropriate for persons from one camp making statements about what those from another camp believe. Protestants and Catholics do this all the time. Protestants from one denomination do this with regards to other denominations. Most of the time when this is done, it is done with misunderstanding.

This is partly why our TOS 1.4 says, "Do not misquote or misrepresent another member. Do not state a negative opinion about a member's denomination, leaders, founders, or the veracity of a member's faith."

Perhaps we're better off speaking of what we do believe and let others share what they believe.
WIP, I generally agree with you.
There are many misconceptions between Protestants and Catholics.

I do believe that it would be NICE if we could discuss our differences peacefully, respectfully and civilly.
Sometimes this does not happen.

TOS 1.4 is most important. I like to ask questions...I find this to be a good method.
Misquoting gets a person nowhere and is used just for flaming purposes.

Will I go to Hell if I transgress of these requirements?
If you want to be saved, become a member of the Lord's body which is the church, and Christian, then YES, you MUST be baptized which is a total immersion in water in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins. Partaking of the Lord's supper periodically is required of Christians, typically on the 1st day of each week which is Sunday.
Steps to becoming a Christian and saved:
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief
3. Repentance
4. Baptism

Regarding the OP... No, you do not have to be baptized or partake in the eucharist. They are rituals only. If you believe that Jesus died for your sins, you are saved.

Untrue. But then we've been through this many times.
But if you don't want to believe Jesus then that is a problem for you.

Regarding the OP... No, you do not have to be baptized or partake in the eucharist. They are rituals only. If you believe that Jesus died for your sins, you are saved.
How do you not believe what Jesus stated?

In
Matthew 28:19 Jesus said:
18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;

1. Jesus specifically states to baptize THEM (The disciples in all nations) in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

2. He also states to teach them to observe ALL THAT HE COMMANDED THEM.
Which means there are commandments that we are to adhere to....
something you do not want to admit.

So should we pay attention to what YOU state
or what JESUS states?

True believers want to learn from God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God's word, the Bible, not the teachings of a single denomination. It's a sad situation to think otherwise.
Just saw this Jaybo.
I had stated that it's sad that you don't want to learn what a particular denomination REALLY believes.
This would apply to any denomination.
What if you went to an Assembly of God church and I continually posted what I thought that church teaches even though it is not correct?
Wouldn't you be very frustrated after a while?

This is what you're doing.
If you want to have incorrect beliefs about the teachings of the CC, please go ahead and believe whatever you want to.
But when you're CORRECTED by a professing Catholic, perhaps you should LISTEN to what they are saying?

Maybe we should be getting along better somehow.
We are all Christians after the truth.
We each think we have the truth.
Perhaps we could learn from each other in love?
There's something about every denomination I don't care for.
But we're all brothers in Christ and we should treat each other that way.

Otherwise what does it mean to be Christian if we act like everyone else?

How do you not believe what Jesus stated?

In
Matthew 28:19 Jesus said:
18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;

1. Jesus specifically states to baptize THEM (The disciples in all nations) in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

2. He also states to teach them to observe ALL THAT HE COMMANDED THEM.
Which means there are commandments that we are to adhere to....
something you do not want to admit.

So should we pay attention to what YOU state
or what JESUS states?
It is poor exegesis to take a single verse out of context to try to prove a predetermined doctrine. Taking one single verse out of a total 31,102 is clearly eisegesis: an interpretation, especially of Scripture, that expresses the interpreter's own ideas, bias, or the like, rather than the meaning of the text."

For now I will disregard your personal insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back