Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Do we love the truth!

31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (Mt 12:31–32)​

There is only one unforgivable sin. Every other sin "will be forgiven".

I do not understand why those who are totally dependent on God forgiving all their sins would need a way to differentiate between the sins that needed to be laid on Jesus and the ones which did not.

All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one, to his own way;
And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. (Is 53:6)
There still sin that is not unto death, spiritual death separates us from God

Scripture also clearly indicates that people have been, and are saved, not that they can only expect at some point in the future to be saved. See 1 John 5:11-13, 1 Corinthians 1:18, 30, 2 Corinthians 2:15, Galatians 3:27, Ephesians 2:4, Colossians 3:3, Revelation 3:20, etc.

I am saved. Absolutely. Thank God!

Yes, a man can be saved entirely separately from water baptism. He cannot be saved, however, without the "baptism of the Spirit" by which he is placed into Christ.

Of course, a man can be saved without a priest. Goodness. Just read 1 Timothy 2:5, Romans 10:9-10, and John 3:16. We are saved by Christ and by no other (Acts 4:12). Certainly not by another fallible person, whatever his title.
Christ is a priest! Heb 7:17

Mk 16:16 baptism required

Not saved until we abide Jn 15:4
And endure Matt 24:13

Venial sim does not separate us from God
Only serious or mortal (deadly) sin committed with free will does

Thks
Scripture

1 Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

There still sin that is not unto death, spiritual death separates us from God
The verses that are talking about sin unto death are either talking about the unforgivable sin leading to the second death or they are talking about pardonable sins that lead to physical death.

Yes, trusting in Christ as Savior and submitting to him as Lord is an inner action/response, a "posture" of mind and heart we adopt, to the truth of the Gospel.

If is not accompanied by confessing with the mouth the Lord Jesus, then it is done in vain.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

Scripture

1 Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
I do not know the purpose of segregating sins into more than the two categories that Jesus mentioned (i.e., the one unpordonable sin and all other sins). Cynically, I would guess to lighten the load on priests? Are Catholics instructed to confess every single sin, or just the bad ones?

This depends upon what you mean by "working."

Working as in labor; a deed

There is a difference between words and deeds.
Scripture differentiates between works that earn a wage.
Good works.
The works of the law of Moses.
The work of obedience; the obedience of faith.
When God speaks to us, we receive faith. If we do what God speaks to us to do, our faith that we have is activated to produce the divine intended result.

For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well.
This is where God spoke to her, inspired her, moved upon her by which she received faith.
Her part was to move into the corresponding action of obedience, by pressing through the crowds and to actually TOUCH THE HEM OF HIS GARMENT, which was forbidden under the law of Moses for an unclean woman in her flow to touch a man, and especially a rabbi.
If she would have remained behind and did not touch the hem of His garment, she would have remain in her condition. This is the principle of faith; How faith works.
And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well.” But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, “
Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour. Matthew 9:20-22
Her faith, that was activated by her obedience to do what faith required, made her whole.
Again -

By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. Hebrews 11:7

Noah, in response to the word of God, obeyed by moving with godly fear and actually did the work of preparing the Ark.

This is the principle of faith; the law of faith.

By faith simply means = God spoke to a person, and that person obeyed Him.

Meciful people need mercy too. Why? Because of Adam. What we have in Adam is not redeemed. But what we have in Christ is redeemed. This can't be understood apart from knowing that what came from the flesh is flesh and what came from the Spirit is spirit. When we talk about forgiveness, grace, and mercy... we apply these things to the flesh, the evil desires of the flesh, and the evil deeds it inspires. But when we talk about righteousness, holiness, and oneness with God... we apply these things to the new creature He created when He came to live in our hearts who was "created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph 4:24). The life that we live in the flesh isn't to reform the flesh to make it better, it is to live out what He put in us by walking in the Spirit.
Mercy means the forgive of sins
Truly Saved would not need mercy

Luke 7:47
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Forgiven not saved

Saved don’t need to cover sins

1 Peter 4:8
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

All prove we are not “saved” but justified in Christ by grace and baptism

Christ is a priest! Heb 7:17

Obviously, I did not mean Christ.

Mk 16:16 baptism required

No, this isn't what Mark 16:16 indicates. Belief is the emphasis of the verse, not baptism.

Not saved until we abide Jn 15:4

No, not spiritually fruitful unless abiding.

And endure Matt 24:13

Matthew 24:13
13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Who endures to the end? Only those in whom the Holy Spirit dwells, who empowers them to endure. No one endures to the end by self-effort, only by being spiritually made new by the Holy Spirit and enabled by him to persevere.

Philippians 2:13, Philippians 4:13, Ephesians 3:16, Ephesians 6:10, Romans 8:9-14, 2 Corinthians 3:18,
etc.

And so, Scripture rules out our works as salvific repeatedly and explicitly.

Titus 3:5, Ephesians 2:8-9, 2 Timothy 1:9.

If is not accompanied by confessing with the mouth the Lord Jesus, then it is done in vain.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

This is a legalistic view that adheres to the letter of the law at the expense of the gracious and merciful spirit of God in salvation - the God who does not look on the outward appearance, but on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).

Romans 7:6
6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

I can't read most of your other post since the text is black on black.

Yes, trusting in Christ as Savior and submitting to him as Lord is an inner action/response, a "posture" of mind and heart we adopt, to the truth of the Gospel. This inner posture might not bear external "fruit" immediately, however, for the reasons I already pointed out. Some would say, though, that this lack of outward obedience is proof-positive that real saving faith is non-existent, which would be false. In fact, these same folk want to say that only if one acts externally in expression of one's trust in Christ is that trust genuine, which is essentially works-salvation. If this isn't you, wonderful
You have come up with a method of including the unfaithful into Christ.
But your pollutions will be to no avail in the end.
And the man on his death-bed who hasn't the strength to make an out-loud confession? Is he prevented, as a result, from being saved, even though his belief in Christ is just as sincere and full as yours is? Or does God look upon the heart and responds to what is there?
Were his belief actually sincere, he would have acted on them earlier.
I fuss about all this because many people think of the Sinner's Prayer as a kind of "magic spell" that simply has to be said, regardless of what is true of the person's mind and heart, and one is saved.
Aren't those folks the one you excused above ?
They say they have faith, but don't show the actions ?

Living under law and not under grace is a fine place to live until you sin. Then you need forgiveness. You may want to return again to law after you are forgiven, but it won't be long before you sin again. Hopefully, in due time, you will learn that your failures to obey the law place you under the curse of the law and that the only way out from under the curse is to rest all your hope in Christ's sacrifice as being sufficient to cover all your sins.
I don't know what that had to do with my post ?
I didn't mention anything about the Law.
Perhaps you can rephrase your post ?

If repentance is the currency that buys forgiveness, then the currency is devalued every time a sin is repeated. Eventually, the currency becomes worthless. What then?
One false repentance after another is indeed worthless.
Only a true, permanent, repentance from sin, will garner eternal life.

People who have Christ living in them are saved, meaning they will never perish but have everlasting life. Our salvation is not complete here and now only in that we currently live in bodies that are corrupt. After we die physically, we will receive bodies that are incorruptible just as our spirits are incorruptible now. Between now and then, we are ambassadors for Christ, imploring people to be reconciled with God.

No, not Amen to that.
Not saved according to scripture
Justified? Yes
United to Christ by the grace of the sacraments? Yes

Members of Christ’s new covenant of grace by faith and baptism, united to the mediator and having union with God and His saints!

Belong to God purchased at the price of the precious blood of Jesus

my grace is sufficient: 2 cor 12:9
Seek the kingdom: Matt 6:33
Abide in Christ / bear fruit Jn 15:4
Perpetual state of faith: Jn 3:16
Watch & Pray: Matt 26:41
Ask and receive: 7:8
Pray: Matt 6:6
Fasting: Matt 6:17
Alms: Matt 6:3
Practice of the virtues of Jesus
Christ: Matt 11:29
Narrow gate road lead to life Matt 7:14
Beatitudes: Matt 5:3-16
Christian suffering / Deny thyself, take up Thy cross: Matt 10:38 & 16:24 rom 8:18 2 thes 1:5
2 Tim 2:12 Phil 1:29
Frequenting the sacraments (promises) of grace: Heb 8:8
2 Timothy 1:1
Endure to the end: Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13

All united in Christ and Soaked in His blood, grace, the merits Christ won for us by His life, death, and resurrection!

But we can reject Christ and salvation and be separated from God (spiritual death) by deadly sins!

Thks

Back