Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Do we love the truth!

I've already provided a very clear answer to your question above which you are simply ignoring. I'm not going to give another one, however, since there was nothing wrong with it. So, if you're really interested in my answer, go back and read again what I wrote.

I have gone back through what you wrote and find no answer to my question about believing in Jesus Christ.

You have said we can not save ourselves. I agree and never insinuated that we could.

You have said that no amount of church attendance or trying to straighten up, can save us. I agree and never once insinuated that it could.

My question, which you completely ignored was about believing in Him and what He did for us on the cross so we could be saved.

So again, here is what Jesus said -

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Jesus says it this way In the Gospel of Luke -

Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:12

The condition that those by the wayside failed to meet, was believe. They did not believe the message of salvation so they were not saved.

• lest they should believe and be saved.

No amount of work can earn salvation.

JLB

I have gone back through what you wrote and find no answer to my question about believing in Jesus Christ.

You have said we can not save ourselves. I agree and never insinuated that we could.

You have said that no amount of church attendance or trying to straighten up, can save us. I agree and never once insinuated that it could.

My question, which you completely ignored was about believing in Him and what He did for us on the cross so we could be saved.

Does merely believing your dentist can fill your cavity fill your cavity? No.

Does merely believing your barber can cut your hair cut your hair? No.

Does merely believing your mechanic can fix your car, fix your car? No.

Your dentist, not your belief, must fill your cavity.

Your barber, not your belief, must cut your hair.

Your mechanic, not your belief, must fix your car.

So, then, does your belief in Jesus as your Savior, save you? No. He saves you, not your belief that he can. As I said, in regards to salvation, it is not your faith but its object that actually saves you.

Does merely believing your barber can cut your hair cut your hair? No.

Does merely believing your mechanic can fix your car, fix your car? No.

Your dentist, not your belief, must fill your cavity.

Your barber, not your belief, must cut your hair.

Your mechanic, not your belief, must fix your car.

So, then, does your belief in Jesus as your Savior, save you? No. He saves you, not your belief that he can. As I said, in regards to salvation, it is not your faith but its object that actually saves you.
Another reason to ditch the false faith-alone argument.
Belief/faith breeds action.

Ok.

Are you familiar with the terms such as obey the gospel or obey the truth?

This is how we become saved

JLB
The two phrases are not very commonly used in the Bible (4 instances in total). To me, they are simply synonyms for people who are lost or are acting as though they are lost. I've never seen them as indicating what it takes to be saved, other than to state the process negatively (namely, that rejecting one's need for salvation and/or rejecting Christ's sacrifice for one's sins does not result in salvation).

Which is why biblical believing involves obeying. By saying "biblical" believing I am referring to the way God means for us to believe; What God defines as "believing".

However, obeying always begins with believing.

The biblical word "believe" is used interchangeably with the word obey.

Example:

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 NKJV

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36 NASB

Nevertheless I always start with the actual words of Jesus to build an understanding on.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

The original word "believe" means commit, trust and obey.

The Dentist -

If we have a pain in our tooth and believe the dentist can help us, we call upon him for help.

If the dentist advises us what to do to fix the pain in our tooth such as a root canal, and we don't do what he advises, then our believing in him is in vain, because we did not continue, did not follow through to the end of his instruction.

We believed the dentist could help us, but we didn't trust and therefore obey what he instructed us to do.

Likewise, is we believe in Christ, the way God intends for us to believe, then we will give heed to His teaching to do what He instructs us to do; What He instructs us to do is the truth.

Every word that proceeds out of His mouth is the truth:

His Gospel
His Doctrine
His Commandments

Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. 1 Timothy 4:16

JLB

The two phrases are not very commonly used in the Bible (4 instances in total). To me, they are simply synonyms for people who are lost or are acting as though they are lost. I've never seen them as indicating what it takes to be saved, other than to state the process negatively (namely, that rejecting one's need for salvation and/or rejecting Christ's sacrifice for one's sins does not result in salvation).

Obeying the Gospel is how we are saved.

Do you understand how to obey the Gospel?

I've never seen them as indicating what it takes to be saved,

There is only one command in the Gospel; Repent.

Do you understand what this word means and how to obey this command of the Gospel.

The key is found here in this verse -

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Here is the context of Romans 10:9 -

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.” How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:9-17

JLB

There is only one command in the Gospel; Repent.

Do you understand what this word means and how to obey this command of the Gospel.

The key is found here in this verse -

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Here is the context of Romans 10:9 -

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.” How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:9-17

JLB
You do know that making text white hides it, right?

Please tell me. I asked before, but you have yet to answer.

You confess Jesus as LORD.

That is how we obey the the command of the Gospel to repent.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

Repent means to turn to God in submission to Him as LORD.

If we are called to turn to God, the by default we are called to turn away from Satan as our lord.

The way we obey the command to repent, is by confessing Jesus as LORD; our Master or King whom we will obey.

This is what Jesus Christ commissioned His apostles to do.

JLB

Never mind. I now remember what you said from the beginning. Your answer is that obeying every commandment in the Bible is what it takes to be saved. And you are right. But if you don't do that (and nobody does), what then?

We are saved, born again, regenerated by believing the Gospel.

Now that we have a new divine nature, that is compatible with being filled with the HOLY Spirit, we can walk according to the Spirit, rather than walking according to the sinful desires of our flesh.

JLB

You confess Jesus as LORD.

That is how we obey the the command of the Gospel to repent.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

Repent means to turn to God in submission to Him as LORD.

If we are called to turn to God, the by default we are called to turn away from Satan as our lord.

The way we obey the command to repent, is by confessing Jesus as LORD; our Master or King whom we will obey.

This is what Jesus Christ commissioned His apostles to do.

JLB
Are you familiar with the Lordship Doctrine? It has a fatal flaw in that it makes the Bible Lord, not Jesus Himself. Its second flaw is more obvious in that every sin a person commits proves any commitment he made to obey Him as Lord wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

We are saved, born again, regenerated by believing the Gospel.
This statement is ok on its face, but becomes iffy when "believing" morphs into something else.
Now that we have a new divine nature, that is compatible with being filled with the HOLY Spirit, we can walk according to the Spirit, rather than walking according to the sinful desires of our flesh.
These words have promise.

My background is white. I don't see any yellow. I think if you make the words bold and underline or a bigger size, it should work on all settings.

Ok, I will check and see why they changed my background to black, and hopefully get it changed back.

Ok, I will check and see why they changed my background to black, and hopefully get it changed back.
It's the first setting under "Preferences". If I remember correctly, I had to change mine from "Dark" to "CF Original" when I returned after a long hiatus.

Reactions: JLB
This statement is ok on its face, but becomes iffy when "believing" morphs into something else.

These words have promise.

It's a process. The Holy Spirit will lead us through restoration and healing, and empower us to walk free from sin.

We always have the promise of being forgiven.

• If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:7-9

God loves us and deeply desires a close relationship with us, so much so, He sent His Son into the world to pay the price for us to be reconciled with Him.

Notice something here in verse 7 -

• But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Walking with God doesn't mean we are sinless, it means we do not "hide" from Him. We confess our sin and continue to walk with Him in fellowship.

Being honest and open with Him and He will heal and restore you until Christ is fully formed in you.

JLB

Back