Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you support OSAS(once saved always saved)?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Deborah13 said the following:
So when He says this is like the Kingdom of God does He mean that in the Kingdom of God your wife and your children will be sold? That they will pay for your sin?
Deborah, what is the context of his discussion with his disciples? It isn't about wives and children. It isn't even about money. It's a parable to teach us about f_______, and how it works according to the way of the kingdom.

Reread the passage starting with what comes right before it, then fill in the blank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argue with you?
Why?
You'll never admit you are wrong.
If you can prove to me the three points I listed are not in the passage I will admit I'm wrong and I will state that those points were not made in the passage. I really will. Honest.

1) The slave was forgiven the debt.

2) The master reinstated the debt.

3) This is how the Father will treat each of us if we do what the slave did.

If you can prove to me the three points I listed are not in the passage I will admit I'm wrong and I will state that those points were not made in the passage. I really will. Honest.

I have seen a pastor dodge that with well if we don't forgive we wont like the consequences but we will still be in heaven. the bible is clear. if we don't forgive others we wont be forgiven. the modern church mostly teaches that we will be saved but wont be rewarded under this parable. yet jesus didn't say that. funny how we all pick a doctrine and make it fit in the bible.

my new favorite, the devil had the keys to hell and death. hmm ok. whom is the judge of all man? god or satan?

Deborah, what is the context of his discussion with his disciples? It isn't about wives and children. It isn't even about money. It's a parable to teach us about f_______, and how it works according to the way of the kingdom.

Reread the passage starting with what comes right before it, then fill in the blank.

I agree, it's about forgiveness.

I personally believe in OSAS simply because God knows the all things and is outside of time so he knows who will be in heaven and who will be in hell. As a result, those who are saved were, in essence, saved before they were even born because they ultimately end up in the presence of God whereas those who end up in separation from God were never truly saved since they do not end up saved from that separation. The idea of losing one's salvation really only makes sense if salvation is constrained by time but if God is eternal and thus exists outside of time, it seems as if his salvation would also be eternal and thus exist outside of time.

Gary, the fact that Jesus will not blot out a name is an indication that OSAS! The Scripture, in an odd way I must confess, reafirms that once a person is Biblically saved, there will never be a point when Jesus refuses that person.

Read the verse carefully. Pay close attention to the first part of the verse. In order to be clothed in white garments, what is required of the individual? He must...

Revelation 3
5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Question: What happens if he doesn't overcome?

Overcome = G3528
nik-ah'-o
From G3529; to subdue (literally or figuratively): - conquer, overcome, prevail, get the victory.

victory in Jesus my Savior for ever He sought me and bought me with His redeeming Blood He loved me ere i knew Him and all my love is due Him He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood :)

1. The slave is the world.
Jesus came to save the world (John 3:17).

2. The slave rejected Jesus. He knew who Jesus was, believed who he was, and then walked away because his teachings were too hard.
Unless we are moved by the Holy Spirit, we will all walk away from Christ.

3. This is the promise that Jesus is the only way to the Father.

victory in Jesus my Savior for ever He sought me and bought me with His redeeming Blood He loved me ere i knew Him and all my love is due Him He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood :)

Amen and amen.

We should encourage those who are lacking in confidence concerning the things of salvation, that God is well able to keep them, and to stand fast and be encouraged that nothing will snatch them from His hand.

... on the other hand, we should encourage those who have turned back to the ways of a sinful lifestyle, and have been drawn away by the evil one to the ways that lead to death, to repent and turn back to God.

The Lord has given us both the scriptures and the wisdom for each of these situations.

JLB

1. The slave is the world.
Jesus came to save the world (John 3:17).
What about the part that the slave was indeed forgiven because he begged for that forgiveness?

2. The slave rejected Jesus. He knew who Jesus was, believed who he was, and then walked away because his teachings were too hard.
Unless we are moved by the Holy Spirit, we will all walk away from Christ.
You're saying it's impossible to resist the Holy Spirit.

I know a tongue talker who walked away from the faith.

3. This is the promise that Jesus is the only way to the Father.
What about the part that the Father will treat EACH of us the same way as the forgiven slave was treated (have our forgiveness rescinded) if we also do what he did and show contempt for the forgiveness we have received?

If your really saved, you'll live your life for God. You'll live a godly life and work for God. Continual church rituals do not make you saved. Never ending works do not make you saved. Being saved has to come first. You work because you are saved. Not to be saved. You love your neighbor because you are saved. Not to be saved. We can't earn our way to heaven. We have to rest in God.

I like your post here and it kind of goes along with what I think about OSAS. When I became a Christian I did it because I believed that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and wanted salvation. Also I believed the alternative (Hell) was definitely not somewhere that I wanted to go. Today I am a Christian because I want to follow and serve Jesus as my Lord and not just my Savior. I understand that faith without works is dead but it always leaves me asking the question "how much or how little of works do we have to do before we are saved or become un-saved?" Since we all fall short when we compare ourselves to our example (Jesus) then it's kind of a hard question for me to answer. Maybe someone can help me out.

Read the verse carefully. Pay close attention to the first part of the verse. In order to be clothed in white garments, what is required of the individual? He must...

Revelation 3
5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Question: What happens if he doesn't overcome?

There are two "Books" The "Book of life" and the "Lamb's Book of life" (Rev. 21:27) Perhaps you could study both of them to get a Biblical answer to your question.

What about the part that the slave was indeed forgiven because he begged for that forgiveness?

What about the part that the Father will treat EACH of us the same way as the forgiven slave was treated (have our forgiveness rescinded) if we also do what he did and show contempt for the forgiveness we have received?
1. Many sinners, when in trouble, beg the Lord for forgiveness.
Ahab to his sackcloth, Mannasseh to his prayers, Pharaoh to his confessions, Judas to his restitution, Simon Magus to his supplication, Belshazzar and Felix to their tremblings.
Were any of them saved?
He claimed he would pay back his debt.
This is folly.
No one can repay the debt we owe God.
Though God forgave the debt, he did not release him from being a servant.
The Jews are God's people.
They know the forgiveness of their debts when they hear the sound of the Jubilee trumpet.
They should have compassion on each other as God has compassion on them.
But did they?
Salvation was theirs.
They knew all about it.
They knew the mercies of God.
But they still rejected Him.
It is easily said that those who do not forgive their brothers' trespasses did never truly repent of their own nor ever truly believe the Gospel.
Therefore, what is taken away is only what they seem to have (Luke 8:18;).

I like your post here and it kind of goes along with what I think about OSAS. When I became a Christian I did it because I believed that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and wanted salvation. Also I believed the alternative (Hell) was definitely not somewhere that I wanted to go. Today I am a Christian because I want to follow and serve Jesus as my Lord and not just my Savior. I understand that faith without works is dead but it always leaves me asking the question "how much or how little of works do we have to do before we are saved or become un-saved?" Since we all fall short when we compare ourselves to our example (Jesus) then it's kind of a hard question for me to answer. Maybe someone can help me out.

I liked your post and have to ask the same question you do.

" "how much or how little of works do we have to do before we are saved or become un-saved?" "

Could it be......
He was a slave, but that he had had his ear pierced. The Jews whom Jesus was talking to had not had their ear pierced, slaves in name only, not by choice.

Here's another problem with the OSAS argument. It assumes that salvation has already taken place. However, the Scriptures use the term in the past, present and future tenses. How are you saved when Jesus said, to him who overcomes I will give to eat of the tree of life? Would anyone suggest that none of those is the church at Ephesus were Christians?

Paul said the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life. He also said,
14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, (Heb 2:14 NKJ)

Salvation is salvation from death. I'd venture to guess that no one partaking in this discussion has yet been resurrected and that if Christ delays his coming we will all die. If that is the case how then have you been saved from death at this point in history?

Here's another problem with the OSAS argument. It assumes that salvation has already taken place. However, the Scriptures use the term in the past, present and future tenses. How are you saved when Jesus said, to him who overcomes I will give to eat of the tree of life? Would anyone suggest that none of those is the church at Ephesus were Christians?

Paul said the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life. He also said,
14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, (Heb 2:14 NKJ)

Salvation is salvation from death. I'd venture to guess that no one partaking in this discussion has yet been resurrected and that if Christ delays his coming we will all die. If that is the case how then have you been saved from death at this point in history?

I think we should be eating from the Tree of Life (our Lord Jesus) right now.
So those who eat from that Tree are the overcomers.

Were Abraham, King David, etc. really dead in terms of eternal life?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back