Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Does my teacher have Jesus?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I did answer it--Unity of thought ( 1Cor 1:10)---as well as always at peace and love. never standing on both sides of wars as the ones who threw Jesus away did in the Rev war, the civil war, ww1,ww2.

Unity in what "thought," exactly?

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 )
10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.
11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers.
12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.”
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
15 so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.
16 (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

In context, Paul's command to the believers at Corinth to be "united in the same mind and judgment" had to do with not participating in partisan squabbling. Some of the believers at Corinth were fans of Paul, others of Apollos, and some of Peter (Cephas). There were also some who rejected all Church leaders, following only Jesus. Paul went on in his letter addressing this partisan behavior:

1 Corinthians 2:5
5 ...your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

and,

1 Corinthians 3:5-8
5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each.
6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.
7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
8 He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor.

1 Corinthians 4:6
6 I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.

Paul's command to the believers at Corinth to be "united in the same mind and judgment" was a way of saying, "Stop being fan-boys of mere men" and "All of you rest your faith instead in God who 'gives growth,' and 'tests the works of men,' and will 'destroy he who destroys the temple of God'" (1 Corinthians 3:1-3; 3:6-7; 3:11-16).

I'm not sure, then, how you get from 1 Corinthians 1:10 to a unity of thought that is "always at peace and love." Was this the case for Jesus? Was he always "at peace and love"? He made a whip of cords and twice chased folks out of the temple in Jerusalem (John 2:13-16; Matthew 21:12); he called a Canaanite women seeking an exorcism of her daughter a "dog" (Matthew 15:22-28); he verbally excoriated the Pharisees, calling them "sons of hell," "hypocrites," "the brood of vipers," and "whitewashed tombs full of corpses" (Matthew 23); he regularly chided his own disciples for being hardened in their hearts, disbelieving and dull of understanding; he spoke of bringing a sword that would divide families rather than unite them in peace (Matthew 10:34-35). So, how do these things reflect the "peace and love" that you say defines what it is to be a Christian?

Unity in what "thought," exactly?

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 )
10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.
11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers.
12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.”
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
15 so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.
16 (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

In context, Paul's command to the believers at Corinth to be "united in the same mind and judgment" had to do with not participating in partisan squabbling. Some of the believers at Corinth were fans of Paul, others of Apollos, and some of Peter (Cephas). There were also some who rejected all Church leaders, following only Jesus. Paul went on in his letter addressing this partisan behavior:

1 Corinthians 2:5
5 ...your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

and,

1 Corinthians 3:5-8
5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each.
6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.
7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
8 He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor.

1 Corinthians 4:6
6 I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.

Paul's command to the believers at Corinth to be "united in the same mind and judgment" was a way of saying, "Stop being fan-boys of mere men" and "All of you rest your faith instead in God who 'gives growth,' and 'tests the works of men,' and will 'destroy he who destroys the temple of God'" (1 Corinthians 3:1-3; 3:6-7; 3:11-16).

I'm not sure, then, how you get from 1 Corinthians 1:10 to a unity of thought that is "always at peace and love." Was this the case for Jesus? Was he always "at peace and love"? He made a whip of cords and twice chased folks out of the temple in Jerusalem (John 2:13-16; Matthew 21:12); he called a Canaanite women seeking an exorcism of her daughter a "dog" (Matthew 15:22-28); he verbally excoriated the Pharisees, calling them "sons of hell," "hypocrites," "the brood of vipers," and "whitewashed tombs full of corpses" (Matthew 23); he regularly chided his own disciples for being hardened in their hearts, disbelieving and dull of understanding; he spoke of bringing a sword that would divide families rather than unite them in peace (Matthew 10:34-35). So, how do these things reflect the "peace and love" that you say defines what it is to be a Christian?
Gods 1 truth. The 1 truth Jesus promised that the holy spirit would guide his into( all of it). Not hundreds of different truths in hundreds of different religions that claim to be christian.99% of those religions are a mass of confusion. Gods 1 truth in 1 single religion. One religion is all that is needed to maintain unity.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back