Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bible Study Earth is 6000 yrs old?

God's big on numbers. He may have wanted us to do some math.
In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem. Da. 9:2

In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem. Da. 9:2

Hehe. Daniel is indeed what I had in mind when I wrote that. I've often thought that Daniel may be the most substantiated book of the bible, for that reason.

Reactions: hhh
"It's not to be used in calculations?" Can you please provide scriptures that suppourt your opinion? That Psalm doesn't end at the 4th verse.
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom. Return, O LORD, how long? ...Ps. 90:12-13

I'm sorry, but there just isn't a Scripture verse that tells you how to interpret every other Scripture verse. Or maybe you can show me a verse that tells us how to interpret Gen. 1:! and another verse that tells us how to interpret Ge. 1:2 and another that tells us how to interpret Gen. 1:3 and...

No. That's not the way it works. We have to read each verse in context and use the brains God gave us to figure it out. As is the case with the rest of the Psalms, Psalm 90 is a poem. That, right there, should tell us a lot. Poems aren't usually exact. They're more... poetic. That's what this is. A poetic way of talking about time, not a precise way of calculation.

The TOG​

Well I think that there's what they call, the rule of first mention, or something like that? That the first verse in scripture that speaks of (whatever), that later when a verse or passage is read that has to do with the same thing, we are able to go back to the first scripture that mentioned it...to gain insight and some clarification on it.

Anyone else heard of this?

Well I think that there's what they call, the rule of first mention, or something like that? That the first verse in scripture that speaks of (whatever), that later when a verse or passage is read that has to do with the same thing, we are able to go back to the first scripture that mentioned it...to gain insight and some clarification on it.

I've heard of it, but is there any Scripture to support it, or is it just man's interpretation?

The TOG​

Yes Edward, the Bible is consistent.
God did not write it to confuse us.
We have no problems confusing ourselves without his help in doing so.

I'm sorry, but there just isn't a Scripture verse that tells you how to interpret every other Scripture verse. Or maybe you can show me a verse that tells us how to interpret Gen. 1:! and another verse that tells us how to interpret Ge. 1:2 and another that tells us how to interpret Gen. 1:3 and...

No. That's not the way it works. We have to read each verse in context and use the brains God gave us to figure it out. As is the case with the rest of the Psalms, Psalm 90 is a poem. That, right there, should tell us a lot. Poems aren't usually exact. They're more... poetic. That's what this is. A poetic way of talking about time, not a precise way of calculation.

The TOG​
I didn't think you could provide a scripture to back up that opinion.

I didn't think you could provide a scripture to back up that opinion.

Can you back up your opinion on this with Scripture? If you can't use Scripture to support your opinion, then you shouldn't be criticizing others for not being able to support their opinions with Scripture.

The TOG​

Why is it that the Lord only spent the first three chapter of Genesis talking about the creation and the rest of the Bible talking about His redemption of man? Why is it that we spend 80% of our time talking about how old the earth is and the other 20% talking about His redemption plan? Could it be we have things backwards?

Why is it that the Lord only spent the first three chapter of Genesis talking about the creation and the rest of the Bible talking about His redemption of man? Why is it that we spend 80% of our time talking about how old the earth is and the other 20% talking about His redemption plan? Could it be we have things backwards?

I get your point, but I think it could be that you didn't calculate quite correctly. Of the 39 threads that have had new posts added within the last 24 hours, only one has to do with the age of the earth. None of the other 38 are even about evolution or any other related subject. Here's the list.

The Jews and their denial of Christ as Messiah
Earth is 6000 yrs old?
Which Translation is best
Spirit Dwelling in US
John 3:3 Picked Apart With A Question
Are you Letting your Light Shine?
is keeping your body Fit an Acceptable Sacrifice to the Lord
He is able
Theh Man of Sin
Church Hopping
Minimum Wage
What's Really Wrong with Higher Education
A one-on-one between Webb and JLB on the subject of baptism
The Derailing Thread
Run on sentance game
The Law of Sin
71 Days in Isaiah
IMPORTANT!!
Age?
Pray of Blood Test
Pot Fuels Surge in Drugged Driving Deaths
A proper pint (Photography)
Introduction
House Republicans sign on to measure to stop presidential overreach
Is the FCC Trying to Revive the Fairness Doctrine?
Who do you think has control of our weather?
How to respond to JW & Mormons?
Who owns the man?
Spank Your Child 10 Times
Ah, That's What I Like About This Board
The Image
Finish That Quote
Latest on quitting smoking
Good night
A picture of my daughter and her husband
Pray this goes smoothly, please
Hello, I'm new here.
The Power Of His Great Love
More views of the Principality of Monaco
Another Perspective on this Temple Issue
Prayers for patience and a positive outcome
The Pope's book of insults
Even more Biblical Trivia
Spring is here
Pizza owner wants people to get free meal
Wealth Inequality
No Such Thing
Did Jesus go to hell between his death and resurrection?
From Guest ot Posessor

I didn't count the actual posts, and some of these are about politics or just for fun, but it doesn't look like we're spending more time on the age of the earth than the rest of the Bible.

The TOG​

Can you back up your opinion on this with Scripture? If you can't use Scripture to support your opinion, then you shouldn't be criticizing others for not being able to support their opinions with Scripture.

The TOG​

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Is.8:20
For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. Jn. 3:34
He that is of God heareth God's words:... Jn.8:47
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever. 1 Pe.1:23
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little and there a little: Is.29:10
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 1Co. 2:13

The TOG​

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Is.8:20
For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. Jn. 3:34
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever. 1 Pe.1:23
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little and there a little: Is.29:10
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 1Co. 2:13

Quoting random verses doesn't prove anything. Which of those verses tells us how to interpret Psalm 90?

The TOG​

I've heard of it, but is there any Scripture to support it, or is it just man's interpretation?

The TOG​

I had always known by common sense that different scriptures speak on the same things here and there, and they must not contradict each other, but it was a Pastor that I heard use the term rule of first mention, and I don't where he got it, but it makes sense and is a decent way to refer to it.

I've never read anything in scripture that says thou shalt use first mention rule, lol, I think it's just scriptural sense that all scriptures must jive with each other. The book does not contradict itself, we just fail to "get" some subtle things here and there. I have seen before what seemed like contradictions, but later on it was revealed that it didn't, I just needed to grow. :)

Yes Edward, the Bible is consistent.
God did not write it to confuse us.
We have no problems confusing ourselves without his help in doing so.

Amen, Brother. The Bible seems very simple and does say that he is not the God (or Author?) of confusion.

I seem to have less problems understanding the scriptures when I take it more literally. :)

TOG:...I'm sorry, but there just isn't a Scripture verse that tells you how to interpret every other Scripture verse.

I think I have one that comes close! What about these two?

2 Timothy 3:15-16
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:/(KJV)

1 John 2:27
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him./(KJV)

I had always known by common sense that different scriptures speak on the same things here and there, and they must not contradict each other, but it was a Pastor that I heard use the term rule of first mention, and I don't where he got it, but it makes sense and is a decent way to refer to it.

I've never read anything in scripture that says thou shalt use first mention rule, lol, I think it's just scriptural sense that all scriptures must jive with each other. The book does not contradict itself, we just fail to "get" some subtle things here and there. I have seen before what seemed like contradictions, but later on it was revealed that it didn't, I just needed to grow. :)

I agree that the Bible is consistent. When understood correctly, there are no contradictions in Scripture. The problem I have with this is when people say that the same thing always has the same meaning, even though it's in a different context. Look at the creation account as an example. The first mention of the word "day" is in Gen. 1:3. Some people say that it refers to a literal 24-hour day. But what about this?

In that day Tyre will be forgotten for seventy years (Is. 23:15 ESV)
How can Tyre be forgotten for 70 years in 24 hours? It's obvious that "day" here refers to a longer period of time.

Some say that the first mention of the word "day" refers to a long period of time, perhaps even millions of years. But then what about this?

In the eleventh year, in the third month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came to me:
(Ez. 31:1 ESV)
Did this happen in the third million years of the month? Everybody can see that that's nonsense. It obviously refers to a period of 24 hours. So, however you interpret Gen. 1:3, the meaning of "day" there can't be applied to every occurrence of "day" after that. We have to look at each case in context to understand it properly. We can't just look at the first case and decide that it always means the same thing.

The TOG​

...Teach us to number our days... Ps. 90:12

I think you're reading more into that verse than is actually there. First of all, it's part of the same poem. It's not a math textbook. Secondly, there's no mention in that verse of 1000 years or of how to calculate the age of the earth or anything else. Try again.

The TOG​

Back