Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

EV or ICE

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
HI MayGodHeal

Well, my info comes from Pew Research and here's the claim:
In a recent Pew Research Center survey, 7% of U.S. adults said they currently have an electric or hybrid vehicle,...

Here's the link:

And it's dated 6/2021

I believe one reason for the discrepancy could be hybrid vehicles. I don't think your research includes them and they are a large part of the market. I mean the Toyota Prius has been the hottest selling hybrid for 30 years.

God bless,
Ted

I guess saving the planet can give people good exercise. I mean, I drive back from work everyday and im chill as after a physical days, and my neighbour, good friend of mine, she's saving the planet and comes back from work riding a bicycle and looks completely tired and exhausted. At least getting some good exercise.

Last edited:
miamited yeah hybrids are more common though it would make more sense to separate this versus lumping hybrids with EVs as hybrids still has ICE.
I wonder given the issue of they can't find good help these days with cars how it will affect the ev side .

Three hour waits for a tire repair ,weeks for simple repairs.

miamited yeah hybrids are more common though it would make more sense to separate this versus lumping hybrids with EVs as hybrids still has ICE.
Well, that's your understanding. The issue is using less fossil fuels. For the time being, the hybrid technology does that, although not to the degree that a full EV does, but some savings is still savings...right? If you'd like to separate out the EV's from the hybrids, then do that.

God bless,
Ted

No.

I wouldn't say that .there is a house rented that has two of them and they often fall behind in water bills.

Those idiots are probably in over their head
I was at the house yesterday .I would have photos of them but they were gone .

They do, but they also getting larger and larger battery packs to extend their range, which also makes vehicles significantly heavier.
Hi Free,
The new Ultium battery pack by GM is a combination of smaller cells. Each cell weighs 3 pounds. Depending on the application, there can be between 144 cells( 432 pounds) and 576 cells (1,728 pounds).

A standard V-8 weighs in at 400-700 pounds and an automatic transmission can weigh anywhere between a hundred and 400 pounds.

Add that up and the core of the power train ( not including axles or engine dress parts) and an ICE power train weighs between 500 pounds and 1,200 pounds which is within the same general weight range for EV’s.

I'd say that's still pretty middle class levels. Blue collar will still have issues getting that.
EV’s are or will become cheaper than ICE vehicles. Take a look at the 2023 Chevy Bolt (legacy battery). It is cheaper than a 2022 year at 24k.
30k for an Equinox EV is in the same price point for a non EV with the same trim level. Again, expect these prices to come down as both technology advances and as manufacturing ramps up.

Hi Free,
The new Ultium battery pack by GM is a combination of smaller cells. Each cell weighs 3 pounds. Depending on the application, there can be between 144 cells( 432 pounds) and 576 cells (1,728 pounds).

A standard V-8 weighs in at 400-700 pounds and an automatic transmission can weigh anywhere between a hundred and 400 pounds.

Add that up and the core of the power train ( not including axles or engine dress parts) and an ICE power train weighs between 500 pounds and 1,200 pounds which is within the same general weight range for EV’s.
How much do the motors weight? I don't think I've ever seen what an EV drivetrain actually looks like. I was thinking of the Hummer EV battery pack (Ultium)--2,923 lbs; as much as a small car. Of course, the Hummer EV tips the scales at 9,063 lbs. lol

I suspect the battery packs, like ICEs, need to be larger to move larger vehicles for an equivalent distance as smaller ones. I'm all for improving battery technology, but I'm not sure if EVs will ever be as efficient as ICEs, due to all the losses with electricity.

How much do the motors weight? I don't think I've ever seen what an EV drivetrain actually looks like. I was thinking of the Hummer EV battery pack (Ultium)--2,923 lbs; as much as a small car. Of course, the Hummer EV tips the scales at 9,063 lbs. lol

I suspect the battery packs, like ICEs, need to be larger to move larger vehicles for an equivalent distance as smaller ones. I'm all for improving battery technology, but I'm not sure if EVs will ever be as efficient as ICEs, due to all the losses with electricity.
Well, the 2023 Equinox is a great comparison.
ICE = 3274 - 3512
EV = not released by expected at 4,200.
So yeah, overall you have a point that EV’s are a bit heavier. One pro would be the center of gravity.😎

Here is something for you. My LS1 came out of a GTO which is an Australian vehicle. With my current tune I’m just under 500 hp at the crank and I can get 28 mpg hwy at 70mph

How? It’s called lean cruise mode which is illegal in the US and Canada.

My point is this, federal regulations can also limit efficiencies in the name of emissions.

I’m not sure how to compare that with EV efficiencies. What do you mean by electrical losses?

Correct batteries leak and must be used or they die.

I killed a few lithiuim ion batteries that way

Well, the 2023 Equinox is a great comparison.
ICE = 3274 - 3512
EV = not released by expected at 4,200.
So yeah, overall you have a point that EV’s are a bit heavier. One pro would be the center of gravity.😎
Ha ha. Yes, that would be very handy and even safer for SUVs.

Here is something for you. My LS1 came out of a GTO which is an Australian vehicle. With my current tune I’m just under 500 hp at the crank and I can get 28 mpg hwy at 70mph

How? It’s called lean cruise mode which is illegal in the US and Canada.

My point is this, federal regulations can also limit efficiencies in the name of emissions.
Not bad at all. And, yes, certain regulations do limit efficiencies.

I’m not sure how to compare that with EV efficiencies. What do you mean by electrical losses?
With electricity, the resistance of wires leads to loss. Pretty much everything leads to loss, usually in the form of heat. Every time electricity goes down a wire, all the way from the original source (gas and coal fired power plants where I live), into a battery, and then from the battery to the motor, including the motor, there is loss.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/

Ha ha. Yes, that would be very handy and even safer for SUVs.

Not bad at all. And, yes, certain regulations do limit efficiencies.

With electricity, the resistance of wires leads to loss. Pretty much everything leads to loss, usually in the form of heat. Every time electricity goes down a wire, all the way from the original source (gas and coal fired power plants where I live), into a battery, and then from the battery to the motor, including the motor, there is loss.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/
Also dc rectified,DC is the least efficient use of an electron

leads to loss. Pretty much everything leads to loss, usually in the form of heat. Every time electricity goes down a wire, all the way from the original source (gas and coal fired power plants where I live), into a battery, and then from the battery to the motor, including the motor, there is loss.
That’s all outside my wheelhouse. I’m just a potential consumer.

I was actually entertaining a new Bolt for 24k because my work gives us free charging. My current car averages 38-41 mpg to and from work, which is a hundred mile round trip and because my mpg is so good, I can’t financially justify the purchase.

What I’m eventually looking at in 3-5 years is a new Ultium based EV which is way more efficient than what the Bolt is using. And what I’m curious about is this. If a cell goes bad, can you just replace that cell instead of the entire block of them.

That’s all outside my wheelhouse. I’m just a potential consumer.

I was actually entertaining a new Bolt for 24k because my work gives us free charging. My current car averages 38-41 mpg to and from work, which is a hundred mile round trip and because my mpg is so good, I can’t financially justify the purchase.
Yeah, for that mileage, it's just not worth it at this point, even for free charging.

What I’m eventually looking at in 3-5 years is a new Ultium based EV which is way more efficient than what the Bolt is using. And what I’m curious about is this. If a cell goes bad, can you just replace that cell instead of the entire block of them.
Being able to place just one cell, that is easily accessible, would be great.

Yeah, for that mileage, it's just not worth it at this point, even for free charging.

Being able to place just one cell, that is easily accessible, would be great.
Now you know they won't do that.

Idiotic dodge made it's voltage regulator inside the ecm .a simple remote one would have worked .so when that dies the ecm must be replaced .

Back