Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Faith AND Works-James 2...Again

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's right, so your take on "goat works" and "sheep works" won't stand. God doesn't judge us on one event, then change His mind tomorrow when we disobey His Will, and then back again the day after...

Never claimed that either. Next.
Clearly, the "works" or "works failure" is based upon one's general life,

And that would be an unfounded assumption. Gave the example of a cup of water every day of life as a sheep work, and a single murder. Overall, you win, right?
not each and every single event. Thus, clearly, if God judged us based on one event, either everyone would go to heaven OR everyone would go to hell.

And you continue to miss the point that everyone does and does not continually in vacillating fashions.
There are no "sheep" or "goats". In the parable, it is either those sent to heaven or those sent to hell...

There are sheep and goats in every parable, remember? God/man/devils are the fulcrum of understanding every parable.
The word "as" should be your clue that it is a metaphor. There are those who generally failed to love throughout their lives and those who generally did love.

Of course it's a metaphor. All parables are metaphors. It would have been much easier for Jesus to state the outright, but that's not how God works when trying to depict 'spiritual or not' workings because they are not physical matters.
And that's all I needed to hear. You stand corrected.

Works failure can keep a person out of heaven.

Everyone does and does not. No one is a complete failure or a complete success.
The rest, the "why's" and "how comes" and talk of demons or potential future discussion on how God did not die for frogs, that was not the subject or concern of my initial response to you. I have provided more than enough verses to destroy your mistaken proclamation.

To what intent? To overlook the obvious, that devils operate in man including their minds? To justify yourself? To condemn others?

What really is the point of all of that action? To me, none.

Bottom line is that sins are 'not counted' against mankind on the basis of the sacrifice of God in the flesh. Those who claim otherwise don't need a savior, they just need works. No one is Perfect enough to 'gain their own way' no matter their works or their enslavement to darkness, as again, all do and do not.

enjoy!

s

Bottom line is that sins are 'not counted' against mankind on the basis of the sacrifice of God in the flesh. Those who claim otherwise don't need a savior, they just need works. No one is Perfect enough to 'gain their own way' no matter their works or their enslavement to darkness, as again, all do and do not.

The bottom line is that you are confusing the work of Jesus on the cross towards MANKIND as a whole with what happens to the individual at final judgment. IF Jesus work on the cross makes their actions moot, there is no need to judge, and Jesus' entire parable has absolutely no meaning. Going to heaven or hell is based upon AT LEAST what one does. AT least that much. Jesus doesn't rule out faith. But He definitively tells us that one's actions ARE INDEED part of the process of judgment.

The case stands. I am not claiming anyone is saved by their works ALONE. The Bible does not allow such a claim. Faith is needed, in addition. Merely doing things does not save, without faith. But your claim, that works failure is meaningless, is false. That was what I addressed. It was not my intent to make a dissertation on the entire scope of salvation, just to point out your error.

I believe my posts make this clear. Failing to love - works failure - is at least one established criteria that God uses to judge for heaven or hell. I don't see you adding anything to contradict that view, so I think we are done here...

Regards

The bottom line is that you are confusing the work of Jesus on the cross towards MANKIND as a whole with what happens to the individual at final judgment.

I have no issues with not having to count sins against mankind ala 2 Cor. 5:19. That is extremely beneficial for my own heart. You can say what you want, but carrying that burden is just not good for my own head, nor do I see the justification for it in the text. There are other parties to consider for judgments that do not revolve solely around our fellow man.
IF Jesus work on the cross makes their actions moot, there is no need to judge, and Jesus' entire parable has absolutely no meaning.
I have never made that claim. I am making the factual claim that mankind is not thee sole operator in the matters of sin, or of judgment. A point that even you have admitted to, because it is a simple fact.

Going to heaven or hell is based upon AT LEAST what one does.
Unfortunately for that view it cannot stand. I've given the examples prior, that no matter how much good Paul did for example, all of that working would avail nothing for the 'evil present' with Paul or the messenger of the devil that was placed upon Paul. On the converse token, all the 'evil' that evil present that was without any doubt inserted into Paul's mind in the form of, oh, say, temptation for example, would not be accounted to Paul.

So trying to view these matters of works on the sole basis of Paul is just impossible given the obvious. That Paul was not alone.

Paul makes this case quite clear, to me anyway, in the description of vessels of honor 'and' dishonor in the same lump. I believe he gave himself as an exact example of that in himself and the 'evil present' the messenger of the devil with him.

In short it is quite pointless again to only look at Paul when it was not just Paul.

AT least that much. Jesus doesn't rule out faith. But He definitively tells us that one's actions ARE INDEED part of the process of judgment.
The messenger of satan with Paul, the 'evil present' with Paul had zero faith no matter what Paul did. I siimply find it impossible to view Paul as alone when he himself never made that claim. The essence of Paul's divine mission was to turn men from 'working for and as a slave of the power of the devil, to be who they are, children of God.'

This again categorically places blinded UNbelievers not alone, but slaves of Satan. I believe this to be a true Gospel message.
The case stands. I am not claiming anyone is saved by their works ALONE. The Bible does not allow such a claim. Faith is needed, in addition. Merely doing things does not save, without faith. But your claim, that works failure is meaningless, is false.
Just stop that right now. I've never made that claim. My claim remains the scriptural claim and open fact. That all people both do and do not.

The utter fallacy is that 'all' your good works will receive the reward, but the non works will be ignored and not taken into account. And all the others who do not believe 'like you' no matter WHAT their good works are gonna fry for their non works which you also do. To me that is just the measure of a hypocrite exalting their own works unto self justifcations, ignoring the facts of non works, and then conversely holding all the 'non' works against other people while ignoring their 'good works' which all do some way or another unto their eternal detriment.

So it then becomes a nearly impossible task, because the fact remains that all people both do and do not, regardless of their 'religious' affiliations. This is just a simple fact. The claim of good works unto salvation people then becomes, well, I did more. And I find that claim utterly dubious. I know many good works people who don't have a lick of religion stuck to their lips that far outperform good works religious people.

I have said before, that when 'anyone' operates in Love, they do not do so apart from The Spirit of God who Is Love, and cited 1 John 4:7 as that fact so written.

That was what I addressed. It was not my intent to make a dissertation on the entire scope of salvation, just to point out your error.
What error would that be? I see a lot of strawman, but you appear to not be able to discern what is being said.

Man is not alone in their bad works, and the devil is surely implicated.

Man is not alone in the works of Love as the Spirit of God is Love and in operation therein.

And all people fit both sides of that ledger regardless of their religious affiliations or beliefs.
I believe my posts make this clear. Failing to love - works failure - is at least one established criteria that God uses to judge for heaven or hell.
Love is not self generated. Please see 1 John 4:7 again. Those who do so, and I believe 'all' do so at various times and places in their lives, do so in conjunction with His Spirit shown in them by their actions, not their doctrines.

I don't see you adding anything to contradict that view, so I think we are done here...

Regards
Well, nice try.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
"Faith without works is dead."
I wonder if the bible could be any clearer on the subject? You see it is your faith that drives you to do good works. If you are not driven to do good works where is your faith? It is dead. We are intitially saved through faith. Faith is all that is needed for initial salvation. The best example of that is the thief on the cross who professed faith in Christ and was saved then and there. He had no opportunity to do anything further. He believed and died and was with Jesus in paradise after. However, us folks who go on living after salvation have a tougher assignment from God. We have to do his will. Why? Because it is by our doing that we prove our faith. A dead faith does nothing. A living faith works hard. One of the others here mentioned Jesus statement about those who said "Lord, Lord", but were condemned because they did not do the will of the Father. Jesus also said, "If you love me you will keep my commandments." You see because we believe in Him and place our faith in Him and love Him we are driven to do good, because we can't help ourselves. If we love Him we want to please Him. If we have no works we have no faith. Faith first, works second.

Those who desire to be seen as 'good deed' workers on the outside apart from the Spirit within can certainly be puttin' on a good show, but that does not mean love in the heart is not 'A Working of God' within them.

Until you quit putting up straw men to knock down, we can't get anywhere. NO ONE teaches that we are justified by good deeds done APART from faith. Please respond to what I actually believe.

Until you quit putting up straw men to knock down, we can't get anywhere. NO ONE teaches that we are justified by good deeds done APART from faith. Please respond to what I actually believe.

And you are welcome to address any such strawmen with with specifics to justify your claims. Otherwise such are known as false accusations. I've said no differently than you above. Faith 'works' through Love. An action of works reflects love within.

And you are welcome to address any such strawmen with with specifics to justify your claims. Otherwise such are known as false accusations. I've said no differently than you above. Faith 'works' through Love. An action of works reflects love within.

"Those who desire to be seen as 'good deed' workers on the outside apart from the Spirit within..."

This is what I'm addressing with specifics. I have NEVER made this claim, neither has Francis or the Catholic Church. Now, the question is, will you show some integrity and quit setting up straw men, or will you continue to deny you are doing it even when there is black and white evidence to the contrary?

"Those who desire to be seen as 'good deed' workers on the outside apart from the Spirit within..."

If you read through the posts, my point was that all people do and do not do good works. All people both love and have evil present with them.

Good works do not eradicate the fact that evil is present within all. Nor do bad works eradicate the fact that all people love in some way.

Therein lies the difficulty for 'eternal' judgments on good works, of course, imho.
This is what I'm addressing with specifics. I have NEVER made this claim, neither has Francis or the Catholic Church.
I have also stated that I admire very much the RCC understandings on these matters as it pertains to the unbelievers and consider their overall reasonings quite sound. They are one of the few if only remaining churches that allow for the salvation of the unbelievers according to their works. Everyone else just off tosses them into the eternal fires, which to me is raging injustice in those groups.
Now, the question is, will you show some integrity and quit setting up straw men, or will you continue to deny you are doing it even when there is black and white evidence to the contrary?
I've given what I consider facts on these matters. All people, believers and unbelievers both do and do not. I don't think this observation is inaccurate to any large degree and I'm certainly not trying to be belligerent about the facts. It's just a fact.

s

In what way do you mean that the works of the Law put God in obligation to man? Wasn't the law given by God? Did He not say, keep the law and live? According to those under the law, they were only enacting the commandments of God and being faithful to Him - as commanded by Him. The promise of salvation to such acts of faithfulness was made by God - it was not imposed on God by these people whereby He was made 'obligated' to save them.

I don't see the difference between them and the people supporting " justification by 'good works' " today. What faith did the jews lack when they were obeying the commandments of the law? What is the faith that we ought to have when we work, for it to be a "good work"?

And what do you mean by grace here? Did the jews think they were perfect or sinless? I don't think so(John 8). And yet they believed to be blameless according to the righteousness of the law. How - because of sacrifices. They believed that their sins were not counted on account of their observing the commandments of sacrifices and Day of Atonement. Is that what is not happening here when someone says that they are not perfect and yet believe that the sincerity of their works coupled with Christ's sacrifice will get them into heaven?

My asking these questions does not mean I am challenging these beliefs - I only want to know the difference...

Sorry, ivdavid. I missed this post. I've been a little busy.

I can't remember where I read it (it was a long time ago). I could probably find it, or one like it on the internet given enough time. The Jewish system works like this:

Certainly, God gave the Law and it is Holy. God PROMISES to reward those who keep the Law and since God cannot lie and is perfect, He will grant Graces to those who keep the Law, even eternal life. The person does what God says, and he gets rewards, kinda like a contract. This puts God in OBLIGATION to the one performing the WORKS because God promised to reward the person. The reward is based on God's Promise, of course, but once the works are performed, the person's side of the contract has been fulfilled and the onus is on God to deliver on His promise. As you can see, this would completely nullify the need for a Savior because the person is saved by "works" not by Jesus' sacrifice. This is the MINDSET Paul is reacting to in his letters.

Paul is referring to "works of the Law", as he says repeatedly in Galatians, not good deeds done in faith, as James speaks of in chapter 2 of his Epistle.

We don't have to twist ourselves into pretzels and totally misinterpret James to the point of absurdity so he doesn't "contradict Paul". We have to get away from interpreting Scripture through the false doctrine of sola Fide.

I have also stated that I admire very much the RCC understandings on these matters as it pertains to the unbelievers and consider their overall reasonings quite sound. They are one of the few if only remaining churches that allow for the salvation of the unbelievers according to their works. Everyone else just off tosses them into the eternal fires, which to me is raging injustice in those groups.

Ok, there's the misunderstanding. The Catholic Church does not teach that unbelievers are saved by their works. She teaches that unbelievers can be saved by obeying their consciences, which is God speaking to them, not by doing anything (unless you define "works" as every action a person does) . If a person has not heard of Jesus or has some psychological barrier to accepting the truth, then that person is judged by how well he has obeyed God speaking to him "in the silence of his heart'. It is IMPOSSIBLE for someone to be saved IF he knows the truth and rejects it outright. The unbeliever can be saved, but it is NOT due to his works, it's due totally to the Grace of God (made manifest in the conscience), and the obedience of the unbeliever to this Grace relative to his ignorance.

To the one who is given more, more is expected. If someone is not given the Great Grace of Truth (or even partial truth), less is expected.

This subject really has nothing to do with James 2 since James is referring to believers, who are saved by good deeds, even though they have real faith.

Ok, there's the misunderstanding. The Catholic Church does not teach that unbelievers are saved by their works. She teaches that unbelievers can be saved by obeying their consciences, which is God speaking to them, not by doing anything

I understand that extension as well.

(unless you define "works" as every action a person does) . If a person has not heard of Jesus or has some psychological barrier to accepting the truth, then that person is judged by how well he has obeyed God speaking to him "in the silence of his heart'. It is IMPOSSIBLE for someone to be saved IF he knows the truth and rejects it outright. The unbeliever can be saved, but it is NOT due to his works, it's due totally to the Grace of God (made manifest in the conscience), and the obedience of the unbeliever to this Grace relative to his ignorance.

Well, I'm not quite sure that is a direct hit on the matter as the RCC views same. It is my general understanding that they see actions of good conscience i.e. works as a sign of the existence of good conscience in moving with Gods Inclinations of good within them. But I accept your more liberal view.
To the one who is given more, more is expected. If someone is not given the Great Grace of Truth (or even partial truth), less is expected.

This subject really has nothing to do with James 2 since James is referring to believers, who are saved by good deeds, even though they have real faith.

Why would your axiom above not apply to believers if it is so for unbelievers?

s

I'm not trying to defend any one position here - my intent is only to get clarification. As I've understood you, you are saying that faith alone is insufficient, there must also be good deeds. If I've got this right, then you are still treating faith and good deeds as separate activities and are stressing that both activities have to be simultaneously performed. In that sense, what faith must we have while we are performing good deeds?
I'd like to know what we have to believe for one's good deeds to be good indeed.

And do you happen to believe that a person who is not a believer could ever perform a good deed in the sight of God?

Also have a look-in on post#117 whenever you get the time. A short response would do for now. Thank you.

I'm saying that the ordinary means of salvation is by giving God everything. We are not saved by a one time "acceptance", (deathbed conversions being the exception, not the rule) but by living our lives in obedience to God. This obedience (or lack thereof) affects our salvation. More later...

dadof10,

....This is the MINDSET Paul is reacting to in his letters.
Thank you for answering. This makes sense so far.

Paul is referring to "works of the Law", as he says repeatedly in Galatians, not good deeds done in faith, as James speaks of in chapter 2 of his Epistle.
See, I was able to follow you so far - but I'm getting a little confused here. I assume that the difference between the "works of the law" and the "good deeds" is that the latter is done in faith. I know I'm repeating myself here but bear with me - What is this faith that is to accompany the good deeds?

I'll say this again - I'm really trying to understand what you mean by all this. I am familiar with the terms and phrases being used - but I've found that each person may mean it in different ways - hence the request for clarification.

We are not saved by a one time "acceptance"
As I'd agree....but is this the sole basis of believing in the "justification by works" doctrine? Besides, I am not aware of "sola fide" implying any such thing either - though I am aware of people distorting it into such effect.

This obedience (or lack thereof) affects our salvation.
I am unable to see how you've solved the initial problem - of making God obligated - that was in the "Law of works". If I haven't misunderstood, you are still stating the same thing, only with added qualifications(faith) and a change in perspective - the "Law of works" perspective dealt with receiving salvation by obedience; the current "justification by works" perspective is dealing with losing salvation by disobedience. Am I oversimplifying this because I've missed something? Help me understand what you're saying if this is not what you meant.

I am in no hurry - reply as per your convenience. Thank you.

What about Acts 16?

30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Acts 16 - Passage Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

He asks the exact question, "What must I do to be saved?". And the respose was/is clear: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Doesn't this indicate that works are the result of faith?

What about the rich, young man who asked "What must I do to inherit Eternal Life?" Jesus' answer was "keep the commandments". So, I guess it's both\and not either\or. It seems like Biblical faith and good deeds affect salvation.

What about the rich, young man who asked "What must I do to inherit Eternal Life?" Jesus' answer was "keep the commandments". So, I guess it's both\and not either\or. It seems like Biblical faith and good deeds affect salvation.

The Commandments are in the Law. And we know that we are not saved by works of the Law (Romans 3:28). So your interpretation is wrong.

Never said a believer couldn't fall in this present life. That does not however automatically equate to eternal torture in fire.

Are there human beings in Hell? Yes or no.

I believe it is reasonable to expect not just one or two references, but a vast array of same to legitimate the latter 'for believers.'
Ahh, so now it's only "references" you want? What happened to "one example where a 'believer' lost their eternal life period" or "record of eternal loss of salvation for insufficient works by a single believer" or, what started this ridiculous tangent "There is exactly zero recording in the N.T. of a single believer, eternally lost. Therefore it is a contrivance of men. I call such actions the actions of wolves in sheep cloth."

There are plenty of Scriptural references to people losing their salvation. I'm sure you know most of them, so I won't post them here. There are NO examples of ANYONE burning in Hell. Suffice it to say, I'm having trouble keeping up with all these twists and turns.

On the subject of Dualism:

You brought it up pal. Don't spin it my way. I don't hold to it anyway.
:lol A Catholic bringing up the subject of Dualism in a discussion of James???? Really? All I did was say your views "smacked of Dualism", which you didn't deny until this post....Could you at least try to clarify your positions, pal?

You asked about James 2. I responded:

James 2:13
because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

kinda goes along with this fact:

Matthew 5:7
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Many so called 'works' adherents are quick to salve their own 'works' with mercy and quicker to condemn others. What do you expect me to say? Fruit is evident or not in the holders of same.

If you want to judge someone to burn alive for lack of works, why don't you take the merciful side and see the reward for a cup of water given? Not enuf 4 U? I'd be hard pressed not to find something good about everyone.

Depends on what yer trying to see. I see James 2:13 resoundingly and consider that mercy is a 'good work' of the heart that it may be incumbent to give if one expects same.

How would you reconcile your view with this?

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost

You look for 'works' so you can condemn a fellow human being. I am thankful for the receipt of mercy and freely measure same I RECEIVED unto others.

Therein 'our works' surely differ. Though we both believe in 'works' you do so to justify your theological position and save yourself. I hope that all will receive what I believe I have received, and would NOT DARE to venture headlong into condemnation over 'works' if I thought Gods Mercy was sufficient for 'others.'

That might appear to be a huge chasm between us, both of us still on 'works.'

Any who view works apart from God are just kidding themselves anyway. You haven't got a thing that God needs in order to spare yer hide. Who are you kidding? People who 'work' in order to 'save their own hide' are again, servants of personal fear and self preservation. Though I am glad for their works and I DO believe they are saved, I do NOT admire their tag along, all the while giving that cup of water and simultaneously stating, 'if you don't believe like ME, yer gonna fry.' Seems to offset loving them for some odd reason. go figure.

Please see JUDE above. Where we part ways is using works to spread condemnation to others. I don't consider that a sinning 'good worker' has any business in that arena to others, and if they had their head screwed on straight, they would, IF they bothered to look hard enough, find GOOD WORKS in every person. Such would also be 'led' by The Spirit to understand that there is more than one way to find proper judgment.

My question to 'works believers' who use works as a basis of eternal condemnation of their neighbors is:

What is YOUR APPARENT WORK in that bottom line? It may appear to me that you show no mercy whatsoever and your work is self serving ONLY.

It always fascinates me to reason with believers to actually 'love' their fellow man as the essence of 'good works.' Mercy and Hope for them would be right up there with that measure as well. Cups of water are near nothing by comparison, but they certainly won't hurt the cause of ANY of us.
My point to you is that the theme of James 2:14-26 is that good deeds are necessary for salvation and that faith alone doesn't save. Yes, Scripture teaches mercy, just not here, and that is the OP.

I was responding to this claim:

As to James in general, I accept the entirety therein.

Those who show mercy shall same receive.

On the other hand, the person 'working' their faith in the hope that God doesn't burn them alive forever is, imho, a slave of personal fear for their own hide, and no servant of God whatsoever.

Such have no understandings of eternal mercy, which at it's essence means exactly that.
The topic of James is not "eternal mercy", you are missing his entire point, which is that faith without works is dead and therefore cannot save. Certainly Scripture teaches that God is merciful, but not in these verses, which is the OP. Again, feel free to start a thread on the subject of mercy or Dualism or whatever. If you want to comment on James, please post the verses and interpret them. You have quoted and interpreted (misinterpreted) exactly ONE verses and it was verse 13. You are taking the verse out of it's context in an attempt to prove a point.

"For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 11 For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," said also, "Do not kill." If you do not commit adultery but do kill, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy; yet mercy triumphs over judgment. (James (RSV) 2)

This verse has to do with HUMAN judgement and that we are to be merciful in our judgements because "mercy triumphs over judgment". This verse has NOTHING to do with "eternal judgement", and neither do the verses that follow.

The Commandments are in the Law. And we know that we are not saved by works of the Law (Romans 3:28). So your interpretation is wrong.

Jesus answered a direct question. It's not my interpretation, it's your bias. Your argument is with Jesus, not me.

It seems that many are missing the point here about faith and works. They are intricately tied together and cannot be separated. I think that is James point. You can't have faith and then run off and do whatever you please in disobedience to the rest of the gospel. If you have real faith then you will run off and do whatever you please, BUT the "whatever you please" will conform to the commandments and will of God. Remember, Jesus told the disciples to go out and make disciples of all men and teach them to OBEY his commands. He did not tell them to go out and just get everyone to believe. He told them to go out and make disciples and teach them to obey. Why? It is because obedience is our way of showing our faith.

Remember that even in the Law, people were not justified for salvation simply by following the law, because no one could do it all. The word of God says that if you were guilty of just one part of the law you were guilty of all. Thus the sacrifices were needed. The people needed the sacrifices to cover their sins. That was just as much a part of the law as the commandments. God knew that no one was righteous and no one would be completely obedient and all would sin and fail. So he provided the way of salvation. People had faith in God and did all they could to be obedient in response to their faith.

Your works and obedience to and for God are the "proof" of your faith in God. It's all about God. It's not about you. You have faith in God and you work to please God. The two cannot be separated. Jesus said, If you love me you will keep my commandments. Keeping the commandments is the "proof" of our love. You cannot be saved by works, you cannot be saved without faith. Again works is the proof of your faith in God.

It seems that many are missing the point here about faith and works. They are intricately tied together and cannot be separated. I think that is James point. You can't have faith and then run off and do whatever you please in disobedience to the rest of the gospel.

I think you mean "ought not", rather than "can't". Would you agree? James point is that we shouldn't, not that faith and works are totally inseperable. I think the listener of James would realize they were not living up to God's standards.

If you have real faith then you will run off and do whatever you please, BUT the "whatever you please" will conform to the commandments and will of God.

The very purpose of James letter was that their faith was lacking something. Works (of love).

Remember that even in the Law, people were not justified for salvation simply by following the law, because no one could do it all.

The Jews didn't have that understanding - that one is only "justified in the eyes of God" by following the Law completely and perfectly. They also understood that it was only by and through God that they were able to conform to God's Laws and obey them. The problem was when SOME Jews began to separate the heart of the Law - mercy and justice and faith - from the workings of the Law. Jesus addresses some of them - Pharisees. But not all of them were like this, as Jesus confirms that some were "not far from salvation".

The word of God says that if you were guilty of just one part of the law you were guilty of all. Thus the sacrifices were needed.

The Torah provides for this inevitability, as you mention. Faithful and rightoues Jews are aware of the heart of the Gospel, which is why Jesus' message strikes to their heart.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back