Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Fig tree 101

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What part of this statement...

{20} "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. Luke 21:20 (NASB)

doesn't make the context perfectly clear?????

Read the WHOLE chapter!!! :nono2
I have read the whole chapter and as i Have pointed out to you several times already, Jesus was asked two 2 questions at the begining.

Mathew 24v1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

The 1st is indeed the destruction of the temple in 70 ad. But note the second question what is the sign of thy coming and of the end of the world. It was known to the disciples then that the lords return brought about the end of the world.

I have read the whole chapter and as i Have pointed out to you several times already, Jesus was asked two 2 questions at the begining.

Mathew 24v1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

The 1st is indeed the destruction of the temple in 70 ad. But note the second question what is the sign of thy coming and of the end of the world. It was known to the disciples then that the lords return brought about the end of the world.

Thats actually 3 different questions.

Tell us, when shall these things be? (1 question)
What shall be the sign of thy coming, and the end of the age? (2 questions in one)

If they said "what shall be the sign of thy coming at the end of the age?" that would be one question. They didnt ask that.
Jesus speaks all 3 events on the mount, the parable of the fig tree is the answer to the last question asked "and the end of the age?"

So im not sure about all translations but the scriptures i hold in my hand do not mention "world" in any of Matthew, Mark or Luke and Matthew is the only verses asking 3 different questions, while Mark and Luke both ask "when will these things be?" but Mark ask's "And what will be the sign when all these things will be fullfilled" while Luke ask's "And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?" Mark's ask's what the sign is when its all fullfilled while Luke's ask's what the sign is when its all about to take place.

Jesus discusses all of those questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
{29} Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees; Luke 21:29 (NASB)

Why do people continue to take this parable out of context? :screwloose

Since the fig tree represents Israel as a nation, then we should expect that “all the trees†would represent nations as well. Looking in the pages of God’s Word we find this to indeed be the case. In fact, we find that trees are often used to represent people and especially nations in at least eight passages of the Tanakh (Old Testament) alone. We first encounter a parable of trees in Judges 9:7-16 where Jotham, a son of Gideon, addresses the men of Shechem who had just killed seventy of his brothers in order to follow his other brother Abimelech.

The trees once went forth to anoint a king over them. And they said to the olive tree, ‘Reign over us!’ But the olive tree said to them, ‘Should I cease giving my oil, With which they honor God and men, And go to sway over trees?’ “Then the trees said to the fig tree, ‘You come [and] reign over us!’ But the fig tree said to them, ‘Should I cease my sweetness and my good fruit, And go to sway over trees?’ “Then the trees said to the vine, ‘You come [and] reign over us!’ But the vine said to them, ‘Should I cease my new wine, Which cheers [both] God and men, And go to sway over trees?’ “Then all the trees said to the bramble, ‘You come [and] reign over us!’ And the bramble said to the trees, ‘If in truth you anoint me as king over you, [Then] come [and] take shelter in my shade; But if not, let fire come out of the bramble And devour the cedars of Lebanon!’ Now therefore, if you have acted in truth and sincerity in making Abimelech king, and if you have dealt well with Jerubbaal and his house, and have done to him as he deserves, (Judges 9:8-16).

In Isaiah 10:33 God refers to chopping off “the tops of trees†as to those who are arrogant and will be “hewn downâ€. Similar imagery is used in the book of Ezekiel. God in Ezekiel 15:2-6 likens the wood of the vine to the inhabitants of Jerusalem which will be burned in the fire because they are useless (that is idolatrous). God uses the tree motif to speak of Judah being taken into captivity in chapter 17 as well. “Thus says the Lord GOD: ‘A great eagle with large wings and long pinions, Full of feathers of various colors, Came to Lebanon And took from the cedar the highest branch. He cropped off its topmost young twig And carried it to a land of trade; He set it in a city of merchants,’†(Ezekiel 17:3-4). In 606/5 BC Nebuchadnezzar took some of the leadership of Judah into captivity – thus Judah is likened to the cedar of Lebanon and the highest branch represents the leadership, which probably included Daniel. We know this to be the case because God gives the interpretation “Say now to the rebellious house: ‘Do you not know what these things mean?’ Tell them, ‘Indeed the king of Babylon went to Jerusalem and took its king and princes, and led them with him to Babylon,’†(Ezekiel 17:12).

God later in the chapter tells what He is going to do with the highest branches in contrast to what King Nebuchadnezzar had done. Whereas King Nebuchadnezzar made it a “spreading vine of low stature†(Ezekiel 17:6) God would set up a king and a kingdom that would be great among the nations. “On the mountain height of Israel I will plant it; and it will bring forth boughs, and bear fruit, and be a majestic cedar. Under it will dwell birds of every sort; in the shadow of its branches they will dwell.“ (Ezekiel 17:23). God then makes reference to all the trees of the field, which represent the nations. Whether all the trees represent all the nations of the world or just the nations of the area is not clear. “And all the trees of the field shall know that I, the LORD, have brought down the high tree and exalted the low tree, dried up the green tree and made the dry tree flourish; I, the LORD, have spoken and have done it,†(Ezekiel 17:24).

Ezekiel 20:46-48 contains another example of nations represented as trees. However, perhaps the most telling of all is Ezekiel 31:3-15. There Assyria is likened to a cedar of Lebanon that was greater than all the other trees (which is to say nations). “Therefore its height was exalted above all the trees of the field […] and in its shadow all great nations made their home,†(Ezekiel 31:5, 6). God describes how Assyria, the cedar of Lebanon was greater than other kinds of trees though God would send another to cut it down.

‘The cedars in the garden of God could not hide it; the fir trees were not like its boughs, And the chestnut trees were not like its branches; No tree in the garden of God was like it in beauty. I made it beautiful with a multitude of branches, So that all the trees of Eden envied it, That were in the garden of God’. Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Because you have increased in height, and it set its top among the thick boughs, and its heart was lifted up in its height, therefore I will deliver it into the hand of the mighty one of the nations, and he shall surely deal with it; I have driven it out for its wickedness,’ (Ezekiel 31:8-11).

Daniel 4:10-11 and Zechariah 11:2 also offer more examples of rulers and nations represented as trees. With the background of the Old Testament, we can now turn back to the New Testament and find Jesus’ use of seed (Matthew 13:6, 40), vine branches (John 15:6) and trees (Luke 3:9; 21:29) to represent people or nations not surprising but very much in keeping with the Scriptures. Therefore, let’s look again at Luke 21:29 “Then He spoke to them a parable: ‘Look at the fig tree, and all the trees.’†The fig tree is Israel and therefore all the trees are other nations. The question then becomes which nations was He referring to?

The answer comes from the comparison with the fig tree; it was dried and then sprouted again. Israel was dried for many years and then came back to be a nation. It would appear therefore that Jesus was referring to other nations close to Israel which would also be reborn. What is astounding to discover is that all of the countries that border Israel came back to be independent nation states around the same time as Israel. The CIA World Fact Book discusses how Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and Egypt gained their independence all between the years 1943 and 1952 – all within five years of the birth of Israel.

Lebanon

Following World War I, France acquired a mandate over the northern portion of the former Ottoman Empire province of Syria. The French separated out the region of Lebanon in 1920, and granted this area independence in 1943.

Jordan

Following World War I and the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire, the UK received a mandate to govern much of the Middle East. Britain separated out a semi-autonomous region of Transjordan from Palestine in the early 1920s, and the area gained its independence in 1946; it adopted the name of Jordan in 1950.

Syria

Following World War I, France acquired a mandate over the northern portion of the former Ottoman Empire province of Syria. The French administered the area as Syria until granting it independence in 1946.

Egypt

Following the completion of the Suez Canal in 1869, Egypt became an important world transportation hub, but also fell heavily into debt. Ostensibly to protect its investments, Britain seized control of Egypt’s government in 1882, but nominal allegiance to the Ottoman Empire continued until 1914. Partially independent from the UK in 1922, Egypt acquired full sovereignty with the overthrow of the British-backed monarchy in 1952, (CIA World Fact Book, emphases mine).[9]

These countries, like Israel, did not exist as independent countries until 1943 and after. They were simply parts of the Ottoman Empire and then parts of the British Empire or a colony of the French. Their birth around the birth of Israel strengthens the significance of 1948.

Are We The Final Generation? - A Lesson From The Fig Tree

Seriously...why spam the thread with copy and paste jobs from other blogs that no one is ever going to bother to read??? It's a waste of bandwidth and time.

If you don't want to discuss this stuff, just say so. But don't spam the board with this garbage. :nono2

It absolutely amazes me how just a few of Christ's plain and simple words can cause people to write so much nonsense to try to refute what He said.

the problem with that is it puts short time. in 100yrs if man is still that version of fig treeism is invalid.

the fig tree there cant mean isreal. in context, he is using that tree to show a season. to date its been 63 yrs since 1948. if the lord tarries another 40 what will you say then?

Thats actually 3 different questions.

Tell us, when shall these things be? (1 question)
What shall be the sign of thy coming, and the end of the age? (2 questions in one)

If they said "what shall be the sign of thy coming at the end of the age?" that would be one question. They didnt ask that.
Jesus speaks all 3 events on the mount, the parable of the fig tree is the answer to the last question asked "and the end of the age?"

So im not sure about all translations but the scriptures i hold in my hand do not mention "world" in any of Matthew, Mark or Luke and Matthew is the only verses asking 3 different questions, while Mark and Luke both ask "when will these things be?" but Mark ask's "And what will be the sign when all these things will be fullfilled" while Luke ask's "And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?" Mark's ask's what the sign is when its all fullfilled while Luke's ask's what the sign is when its all about to take place.

Jesus discusses all of those questions.
2 two question marks = 2 two questions. And that is the KJV that used the word world.

Seriously...why spam the thread with copy and paste jobs from other blogs that no one is ever going to bother to read??? It's a waste of bandwidth and time.

If you don't want to discuss this stuff, just say so. But don't spam the board with this garbage. :nono2

It absolutely amazes me how just a few of Christ's plain and simple words can cause people to write so much nonsense to try to refute what He said.

Cool.its all good,stay blinded.........................My advice,get off the milk and get some meat............100

2 two question marks = 2 two questions. And that is the KJV that used the word world.

Then there also wouldnt be an "and" doesnt matter if theres two question marks only, theres 2 refrences to questions within one sentence.

Are you going to the store, and fish market?

did you get a flat, and do you have a jack?

Then there also wouldnt be an "and" doesnt matter if theres two question marks only, theres 2 refrences to questions within one sentence.

Are you going to the store, and fish market?

did you get a flat, and do you have a jack?

The (and) ties both parts of the single question to one event. It is not two events with one question, it is one event with two parts.

The (and) ties both parts of the single question to one event. It is not two events with one question, it is one event with two parts.

I guess that would have to go with how you understand scripture.

I do not agree the world or the age ends at Christ's coming. I believe His recieve body's likewise to what He was raised in when He comes, that the saints obtain incorruption, those who sleep and those who remain at His coming (1 Corinthians 15:20-28/50-58, 1 Thessalonians 4:1318/5:1-11) , but i do not agree the world or age will end, the understanding i know is a literal 1000 years (Rev 20), and a short time at the end of it (Rev 20), the last judgement (Rev 20/ 1 Corinthians 15:20-28), then the world and age will end, when the Father comes to dwell among men (Rev 21) and the Son subjects Himself to the Father that God may be all in all (1 Corinthians 15:20:28), thats when this world and age ends and the former things have passed away. (Rev 21)

The fig tree was just an analogy. Those who try to make something out of it are allegorizing the text. And the preterists... well they "spiritualize" the text!

Zinc,

Gods Book is so great the debate between Christians will be an on going thing tell He returns!

Thanks for opening discussion of His Word again.

The fig tree was just an analogy. Those who try to make something out of it are allegorizing the text. And the preterists... well they "spiritualize" the text!

Can't be just an analogy,Christ told us to learn it......

Matthew 24:32
Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Mark 13:28
Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

That's one of the most important parables to understanding the season,in which Christ would return.......

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

That's one of the most important parables to understanding the season,in which Christ would return.......

Why'd you skip Luke's account?

{29} Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees; {30} as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near. {31} "So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near. {32} "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place. Luke 21:29-32 (NASB)
There's nothing about the fig tree that isn't equally true about ALL trees. :shame

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by n2thelight

Why'd you skip Luke's account?

{29} Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees; {30} as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near. {31} "So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near. {32} "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place. Luke 21:29-32 (NASB)

There's nothing about the fig tree that isn't equally true about ALL trees. :shame

Oh!but there is something different,very different.......

All Biblical end-time prophecy hinges around and upon Jerusalem, specifically, The Temple Mount in the East section of Jerusalem. The final generation written of in the prophecies contained within God's Word the Bible, is what is referred to as the Generation of the Fig tree. It is to that (our present) generation that Jesus made the statement:

Mark 13:28-33
28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:
29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.
31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. (KJV)

All end-time prophecy revolves around that Temple Mount, that Mount was the location of the First and Second Temples of Israel, that Mount is the location that the antichrist shall set up his false temple, that Mount is where Christ shall set His Millennial Temple, and that Mount shall be the location of God's eternal Heavenly Temple which will descend from above. That location is God's favorite place in the universe, God married that place (spiritually):

Ezek 16:8 (God speaking spiritually of Jerusalem)
8 Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine. (KJV)

So suffice it to say, all end-time prophecy revolves around that location, the location of the Lord's First, Second, Herod's, Millennial, and Heavenly Temple - the Temple Mount, Jerusalem, Israel. Sad to say, that is also where satan (as the antichrist) shall place his false temple:

II Th 2:2-4
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition
[satan as the impostor 'christ', the antichrist]
;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. (KJV)

It is that place and that time that Daniel writes of:

Dan 9:27 (speaking of antichrist in the false temple)
27 And he
[antichrist] shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease [in the temple where sacrifices and oblations are made], and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. (KJV)

So should it be of any great surprise to the believer that the whole Mideast peace processes collapsed over the fate of Jerusalem, specifically the control of the Temple Mount?!? Of course not. Whether the world recognizes it or not, the whole peace for the planet revolves around religion and that plot of land called The Temple Mount Jerusalem. God is very much in control, could the world really think that the fate of itself does not revolve around God's plan?

Nick Goggins

You all (preterist)stay with your prophecy ended back in the day,Christ second coming will be seen by the whole world,not just a few that you claim saw it in AD 70 and this generation we are in now, will see it happen....Keep watching!!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back