Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Free will or no free will?

How does one comprehend salvation?

What I mean is - we do not completely know the inner workings of Salvation. We know that God sent His Son. We know that Jesus lived a sinless life. We know that Jesus is our propiatiation for our sins. We know that Christ died on the Cross. We know that those who believe in the Sacrifice of Christ - dying on the Cross - will be born again.

But do we really know HOW that works? Throughout the ages Christians have been trying to figure it all out. To what end? Here we are rehashing the same debate.

On the one hand we have the Soveriengty of God - to the extreme it makes God out to be a master puppetteer and humanity dangling from the strings in His hand.

On the other hand we have "Free Will" - to the extreme salvation is based on our actions - with the danger of losing it - based on what we do.

So - are we to know the inner workings of how it all works? I do not think so.

What I do know is that we are to "work out our salvation" and be "transformed into the image of Christ". There was a time when "Calvinism" gave me much comfort - it helped me to understand "salvation" as I tried to "work it out" intellectually. Now I am at a point where I see that God is Sovereign and Humanity has a Responsibility.

Acts 2:23 teaches that God is Sovereign and Humanity has Responsibility.

aLoneVoice said:
How does one comprehend salvation?

What I mean is - we do not completely know the inner workings of Salvation. We know that God sent His Son. We know that Jesus lived a sinless life. We know that Jesus is our propiatiation for our sins. We know that Christ died on the Cross. We know that those who believe in the Sacrifice of Christ - dying on the Cross - will be born again.

But do we really know HOW that works? Throughout the ages Christians have been trying to figure it all out. To what end? Here we are rehashing the same debate.

On the one hand we have the Soveriengty of God - to the extreme it makes God out to be a master puppetteer and humanity dangling from the strings in His hand.

On the other hand we have "Free Will" - to the extreme salvation is based on our actions - with the danger of losing it - based on what we do.

So - are we to know the inner workings of how it all works? I do not think so.

What I do know is that we are to "work out our salvation" and be "transformed into the image of Christ". There was a time when "Calvinism" gave me much comfort - it helped me to understand "salvation" as I tried to "work it out" intellectually. Now I am at a point where I see that God is Sovereign and Humanity has a Responsibility.

Acts 2:23 teaches that God is Sovereign and Humanity has Responsibility.

Our respsonsibility and work, as Jesus tells us is, "The work of God is this; to believe in the one he sent." He also explains how we do that in John 3:7, "...You must be born again." That leads to; John 14:26, and John 17:3. :)

So once we receive the Spirit, we know Christ and our Father personally and as Phillippians 2:13 tells us, God will work in us to will us to act according to His good purpose. That's it in a nutshell. :)

In this debate of free will and human responsibility etc. Do you think there is a distinction to be made between belief and following Christ?

What I mean is, comments have been made that you can't choose to believe, which I can appreciate. But can you choose whether to act on that belief?

I come to this partly from that Satan believed in God - knew He existed - and choose to turn from Him. And in relevelations is says about people in the end times, when God dwells among them, still following Satan. Therefore from a free will perspective, is it the choice of following Christ (the repentence etc.) the decision rather than the belief?

dancing queen said:
In this debate of free will and human responsibility etc. Do you think there is a distinction to be made between belief and following Christ?

What I mean is, comments have been made that you can't choose to believe, which I can appreciate. But can you choose whether to act on that belief?

I come to this partly from that Satan believed in God - knew He existed - and choose to turn from Him. And in relevelations is says about people in the end times, when God dwells among them, still following Satan. Therefore from a free will perspective, is it the choice of following Christ (the repentence etc.) the decision rather than the belief?

No. Ephesians 2:10 explains that we will do what God prepared in advance for us to do. "To whom much is given, much is required."

Spiritual gifts are gifts from God, not man, and only God determines the measure of faith that he gives us. So we respond from what we are led to do. Paul was chosen to be an apostle and God equipped him for that. There haven't been many Pauls in the world because God doesn't reveal himself to us in the same manner that he revealed himself to Paul. :)

So only God decides what we are to do because only He knows how much each of us can bear. :)

I'm sure you're right, but I don't understand how the verse you quoted connects to what I said. I guess my question doesn't work from your point of view anyway, and as I haven't finished going through the rest of all this, I am unlikely to understand this answer.

dancing queen said:

I am not sure why you ask this question, and feel I need more of a context to the question to answer it. The clarification below does not help to make things clear, but I am interested in what you are asking and saying.

dancing queen said:
One must be careful concerning the concept of choice. We are making choices, but that is not the question. We can only make choices according to our nature. Our nature is rebellious and sinful. Therefore we can only make rebellious and sinful choices. We cannot make choices against our nature, but we do make choices. We can choose any fovorite path of sin and rebellion that pleases us. The only solution to our sin nature is an act of God whereby he changes our nature. He still does not remove our sin nature, but in regeneration, our sin nature is no longer our master (Romans 6). We are enabled by God to make a different choice. After regeneration we can choose God or righteousness, and so we make choices, but again, the choices are the result of our nature.

In essence, the question of choice is not do we choose, but who chooses first. Since God chooses first, he bears all responsibility for any good choices we make. This is why John 15:16 says "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

On the other hand, we bear responsibility for all evil choices we make. Adam was created without a sin nature, but he chose to rebel. God did not supernaturally create this rebellious evil nature of mankind, but in Adam, we all fell into sin. We bear the responsibility for our own inability to make a righteous choices.

Concerning this inability of man to make a righteous choice, John 6:44 is clear that "no man can come to me." The word dunamis (can) speaks of ability. No man has the ability to come to Christ because we are rebels by nature (sin nature).

So then, man is responsible for all evil choices, but God is responsible for all good choices. The free will view is different from this in that we share responsibility (and glory) with God for the good choices we make.

dancing queen said:
Again, I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I think you are wrestling with a defination of faith. I think you are asking "what is faith." I also suspect you are alluding to James 2:19 that the demons believe and tremble.

I think you made a perceptive statement when you say,
"Therefore from a free will perspective, is it the choice of following Christ (the repentence etc.) the decision rather than the belief?"
I would agree that you have stated and also think you have stated part of the core of the issue. However, I dont think free willers would accept what you say about them as definational of their position. In the free will position, manipulation of the will is very important in evangelism. The organ music, emotional appeals, and long altar calls are all very neccessary to manipulate the will to make a decision for Christ. I am not sure what to say about the evangelistic methods of those who deny free will. I think mass evangelism is a tool of free willers, but James Kennedy designed evangelism explosian. Non-free willers seem more interested in communication of theological content on a personal basis then mass evangelism and the manilulation of the will. In any case, I agree with your analysis that in free will theology evangelism focuses on a decision, as opposed to non-free will that focuses on faith.

Mondar, I am very tired and not taking this in very well. If I summarise what I think you are saying will you tell me if I am right or not.

We can make choices, so to a degree with have free will. However, this free will to make decisions is restricted to our nature.

We can't change our nature, only God can.

God entering our lives means we can now make righteous choices. Sometimes we still mess up because God doesn't fully remove our sinful nature until heaven.

Question here, can I choose to ignore God and thus have another version of free will?

Its our fault when we do something wrong.

When I make a righteous choice it is God's doing not mine because I can only make a righteous choice because God changed our nature.

With regard to satan etc. I am only questioning the ability to turn away from God I suppose.

I'm not sure about the evangelism stuff. I am new to this election, no free will stuff. I never heard of the theory at all untill a year ago. I have heard people call for the decision to take a step of faith and a decision to follow Christ, but usually because they feel God calling them through the address, therefore no manipulation of wills.

Is this a good summary or not?

dancing queen said:
Mondar, I am very tired and not taking this in very well. If I summarise what I think you are saying will you tell me if I am right or not.

We can make choices, so to a degree with have free will. However, this free will to make decisions is restricted to our nature.

We can't change our nature, only God can.

God entering our lives means we can now make righteous choices. Sometimes we still mess up because God doesn't fully remove our sinful nature until heaven.
So far so good.

dancing queen said:
Question here, can I choose to ignore God and thus have another version of free will?
hmm, this could let out a can of worms....

Certainly you can choose to ignore or disobey or deny God. Peter denied Christ, but of course Peter was restored. Restoration is an important concept because we are kept faithful to God not by the good decisions we make, but by the power of God.
Jude 24 says "Now unto him who is able to keep us from falling"

Concerning free will in the Christian life, and our ability to choose to disobey....
Did Jonah have the ability to flee from the presence of the Lord? Could he decide to do the wrong thing? Well, I guess he did have that ability and so the people of Ninevah went without the privelage of hearing Jonah preach (tongue in Cheek). Of course you know better! Jonah made a choice, but God trumped his choice with his own will. Do we have free will in the christian life? In a way we do, but is it really free if God trumps our choices?

I guess only one will can be totally free, and that is Gods will. Our will again is restricted by our limited natures. Jonah was not omnipotent, and so had no choice (no real free will) in obeying God.

What happens if we persist in our rebellion of Gods revealed will?

The Corinthians did this. In 1 Cor 11:30 it says that there was chastening upon some Corinthians so that they slept (death). Yet even we are still in Gods hand. Notice verse 32 says
32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Free will? To a degree it might happen after salvation. Even then we are bound within our natures, and we are slaves of righteousness and slaves of God. Our wills can still be trumped by Gods will. Again, only Gods will is totally free.

dancing queen said:
Its our fault when we do something wrong.

When I make a righteous choice it is God's doing not mine because I can only make a righteous choice because God changed our nature.

With regard to satan etc. I am only questioning the ability to turn away from God I suppose.

I'm not sure about the evangelism stuff. I am new to this election, no free will stuff. I never heard of the theory at all untill a year ago. I have heard people call for the decision to take a step of faith and a decision to follow Christ, but usually because they feel God calling them through the address, therefore no manipulation of wills.

Is this a good summary or not?

Its a good summary, but....

If I am right on a hunch, and as I watch how your mind seems to be working..... You are wrestling hard with trying to retain the words "free will" in your theological vocabulary in some way. You have lost the concept of true free will in your theology and are now questioning how to fit the term in with what you know about the bible. It is creating tension in your mind, you struggle to resolve things. I think you will continue to wrestle with the term. If I could make a suggestion, try the term "human will." I think it is a term that could be defined as a persons "will within the bounds of a persons nature." There is only one truely free will in the universe. Only one being has a will unhampered by any other influence or control. Of course that is God. Only God truely has "free will." Only his nature is omnipotent. DQ, what think you?

Interesting, the way you ended the last post. Does God even have "free will" or freedom of choice, as I like to say? Can God choose to sin?

I have a question...

If God did not want man to have a free will, then why did God allow sin in the form of a serpent temp man in the first place? Does God want puppets on a string? Or does God want people that choose to serve Him on their own accord? We are into the 20 something page on this, and it seems fairly easy to answer?

This question has been ask by Chuck Smith, Raul Riese, Greg Laurel, Billy Graham and many other great men of God when talking about man and his free will, and they all ask the same question. It's obvious God wants us to have a free will or God would not have allow the serpent to temp us in the first place. We'll all just be puppets serving Him because we were created just for that...

vic C. said:
Interesting, the way you ended the last post. Does God even have "free will" or freedom of choice, as I like to say? Can God choose to sin?

OK, God is also restricted by his nature, and his nature is holy.

Atonement said:
I have a question...

If God did not want man to have a free will, then why did God allow sin in the form of a serpent temp man in the first place? Does God want puppets on a string? Or does God want people that choose to serve Him on their own accord? We are into the 20 something page on this, and it seems fairly easy to answer?

This question has been ask by Chuck Smith, Raul Riese, Greg Laurel, Billy Graham and many other great men of God when talking about man and his free will, and they all ask the same question. It's obvious God wants us to have a free will or God would not have allow the serpent to temp us in the first place. We'll all just be puppets serving Him because we were created just for that...

Is not the term "puppets" ad-hominim argumentation?

mondar said:
Is not the term "puppets" ad-hominim argumentation?

To what group or rank does this cause argumentation? What conclusions am I drawing out? I'm just asking a question here. I could have used many homonym's, but that's not the point of my question Mondar.

Atonement said:
To what group or rank does this cause argumentation?
What do you mean "group or rank?"

Atonement said:
What conclusions am I drawing out?
I did not say you were drawing out conclusions. I am not sure why you ask this.

Atonement said:
I'm just asking a question here. I could have used many homonym's, but that's not the point of my question Mondar.

I took your statements as rhetorical questions (questions with a point). I will go back and cut and paste and answer questions. I hope they are bona-fide questions.

If God did not want man to have a free will, then why did God allow sin in the form of a serpent temp man in the first place?
The question seems to assume that when God allowed Adam to be tempted that this somehow is proof for free will. I do not see your reasoning at all.

I will focus on the 2nd part of your question. Gods motive in allowing Adam to fall seems to be for his glory.
Romans 9:22 speaks of this.
What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and make his power known, endured with much long-suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction.
God wills or wishes all men to be saved, but here is wills to make his power known. Let me ask a rhetorical question. God in this verse receives glory in the judgment of sin. In the next verse, God receives glory in the salvation of souls. How can God receive the most glory, through all being saved, or all going to hell, or some being saved and some going to hell? Only by some being saved, and God judging the sin of others can all his glorious attributes be seen in action, and thereby receive maximum glory.

So then, God wishes all men to be saved, but decrees that only some men will be saved. The rest he leaves to their own resources.

Some might think this is unfair. Let me give an illustration. If the governor of my state has 10 men on death row. If the governor pardons 3 of them has he done the other 7 an injustice? No! All 10 deserve the punishment of death! The governer did not do any wrong to the 7 in pardoning the 3. And so God is just, and God is love, and both attributes are made clear in his election.

Does God want puppets on a string? Or does God want people that choose to serve Him on their own accord?
Again, as I have been saying, "choice" is not the issue. The issue is who choose who first. I have never denied we chose God, but have said that we chose God because he chose us to choose him.

God does not love us because we first loved him. Rather we love him because he first loved us.

This does not mean we do not love God of our own choice, but if not for the ministry of God, we could not have chosen him.

This ministry of God can be seen in John 6:44.

The first part says that "no man can come to me"

Then there is the exception or enablement that allows this. "except the father who sent me, draws him."

This exception clause must be dealt with. Read John 6:44 and give me your thoughts. The first part of the verse is a universal denial of ability. If there is no ability, then how do some come to Christ. That is explained in the exception clause, some come because the Father draws them. If the Father draws them, they come. When the Father draws them, not some come, but all come. This can be seen in John 6:37. Notice how many come to Christ. Not "some," not "most," but "all that the Father gives me shall come to me."

I do not see this as a denial of human will, but it is a denial that human will is not free of sinful human nature. It takes the enabling of God to overcome our sinful human nature so that we can "choose."

We are into the 20 something page on this, and it seems fairly easy to answer?
20 pages... heh, that is a drop in the bucket of the material on both sides of the fence in the history of the Church. There are good godly men on both sides of the fence.

Denial of free will is a core doctrine that caused the reformation. The position of Rome can be seen in Erasmus, and the postiion of the reformers can be seen in Luthers work "on the bondage of the will." (It can be found easily on the internet, just do a search.) I think it is an interesting read. Luther once said that only Erasmus really saw to the core of the issue, and it is predestination.

Predestination... its such an ugly word for some. I have been asked by shocked Christians "you dont believe in predestination do you?" Then I feel the sign get hung on my chest "beware of the Calvinist." I walk down the street and little old ladies peep between the blinds and hide screaming "ahhhh, there goes that Calvinist."

OOPS, getting carried away.... :D

Seriously, the word predestination is use 3x in the bible. What do you think it means? How would you define the term.

The word Election, and its varied forms is used a multitude of times, We are elected to salvation. How do you read those many verses on election?

The issue is huge in its extent, and it is important because only one position is the truth. While good men differ in opinion on this issue, one of us can possibly glorify God more then the other with the correct truth. This does not mean the person with the truth is more spiritual, knowledge of the truth can make us a clanging gong. 1 Cor 8:1 says that knowledge can puff up, but love edifies. Nevertheless, the truth is important.

So what do you think about what the bible says about election and predestination. How can there be free will?

mondar said:
If I am right on a hunch, and as I watch how your mind seems to be working..... You are wrestling hard with trying to retain the words "free will" in your theological vocabulary in some way. You have lost the concept of true free will in your theology and are now questioning how to fit the term in with what you know about the bible. It is creating tension in your mind, you struggle to resolve things. I think you will continue to wrestle with the term. If I could make a suggestion, try the term "human will." I think it is a term that could be defined as a persons "will within the bounds of a persons nature." There is only one truely free will in the universe. Only one being has a will unhampered by any other influence or control. Of course that is God. Only God truely has "free will." Only his nature is omnipotent. DQ, what think you?

You are right, I think this may have been making it worse when reading this thread that I don't know what individuals mean by the term 'free will'. A lack of free will implies I don't make choices - and I know I do. In the context of 'human will' this is ok. Because I do make choices, but they are influenced by my nature etc.

I kept thinking people meant we didn't make any choices. Now I understand that, I can get back to the bigger picture.

I'm not sure about several aspects of the big picture:

Can we run away from God's calling (Jonah example)? Is it the Spirit working within someone that finally makes you see God's will, your nature changes and you follow God's will, or does God just make you?

In Zechariah it describes that they harden their own hearts how does this fit with the theory of election?

I'm sure there are others but can I have thoughts on these two first please.

Atonement said:
I have a question...

Atonement,
It is important to remember that Adam and Eve did have freewill, because they were not sullied with sin. The rest of the human race after the Fall are in what is described in 2 Corinthians 4:4 and what needs to happen to the individual is described in Acts 26:18 and this is totally a God thing.
GMS

dancing queen said:
Can we run away from God's calling (Jonah example)?
Oh boy!! This might be a loaded question. Your going to get a complex answer here that not all will agree with.

It could involved questions of scriptural authority. Let me first give my opinion that only the scriptures are an infallible and inerrant authority. I do not accept the traditions of other groups such as the book of mormon, the koran, or RCC oral tradition as authorative. I believe "sola scriptura" or the bible alone is the word of God.

"God's calling" is a loaded term itself. It has a variety of possible meanings. Some take it as equal in authority with scripture, others take it as referring to a subjective experience. With Jonah, God's call was not subjective. It included things like special revelations that came directly from God. Such revelations most likely involved Gods decree. God decrees that certain things will happen, the end result is in Gods hands. Most prophets or apostles involved in direct revelation had a choice to do their ministry, but if they chose not to do their ministry there would have been constraint (Pauls term).

We are not prophets or apostles involved in receiving direct revelations from God. Therefore we can never say that Gods call for us is infallible or inerrant. The only thing left is a subjective call that is fallible. If we have a call, my own opinion is that God, in his sovereignty, will arrange for us to be in the right place at the right time.

I dont think we can see Gods call infallibly ahead of time, rather, sometimes we look back on what happened and see the hand of God in retrospect. God can always take a bad situation, and bring good out of it. We may not see it happening at the time of the bad situation, but after it is all over, we can often see the good.

The best bet, is just to simply strive to know God. The only way to know him infallibly is to know his word.

dancing queen said:
Is it the Spirit working within someone that finally makes you see God's will, your nature changes and you follow God's will, or does God just make you?
I would be careful not to confuse two separate subjects. When the HS changes our nature, that is called "Regeneration." I think the best passage to describe our regeneration (even thought the word regeneration is not used) is Romans 6. If you get a bible and read the second part of Romans 6, count all the times the term "servant" (KJV) or "slave" (NASB) is used. What happened in regeneration, is when we were sinners, our sin nature was our master, we could not disobey the sinful part of our nature. After salvation, the sin nature that was our master did not die, but we were freed legally from that master (see Romans 6:7). This does not mean we cannot serve the old master (sin nature), but it does mean that we should not serve the old master. Let me give an illustration..... when the antebellum southern slave was freed, where did most of the previous slaves get jobs with their new freedom? They went back to the former master and became share croppers and served again the old master. We are free, and so Paul challenges us to serve our new master.

This is regeneration. This is the new nature that we have. We still have sin nature, it is not dead, but it is no longer our master. Now this change in our nature does not mean that we will automatically follow Gods will. I wish it were that easy. We can still serve sin, our old master.

Romans 7 is going to talk about another problem. The more we try to serve God, the more we serve sin. The more we try not to sin, the more we serve sin. The solution, is in our new master. Just simply love the God you have. Know him, trust him, love him for what he did for you, and you will be in the will of God.

dancing queen said:
In Zechariah it describes that they harden their own hearts how does this fit with the theory of election?

I'm sure there are others but can I have thoughts on these two first please.
DQ, you do ask deep questions.

The hardening of the heart found in many places in the scriptures is most clearly explained in Romans 9. In Romans 9:18
18Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Paul talks about God hardening Pharaohs heart. The previous verse says how he hardened Pharaohs heart.
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
The process by which God hardened Pharaohs heart was when he raise Pharaoh up to power. No God knew the heart of Pharaoh was exceedingly sinful. It was not within the nature of the Pharaoh to obey God. Knowing Pharaohs sinful nature God nevertheless raise Pharaoh up to power and gave him opportunity to become even more proud and evil. Did God help Pharaoh to sin? Well, God did not sin with Pharaoh, but he did not restrain Pharaoh either. God could have left Pharaoh a pauper somewhere where Pharaoh would not have sinned with so much evil. So then, God did have a part in this whole thing by bringing Pharaoh to power, but since God is sovereign, he did nothing wrong. Later, the passage tells us that why God chose to raise Pharaoh to power.

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
For his own glory, God wanted to make his "shew his wrath, and make his power known."

So then God hardened Pharaohs heart by raising him up knowing his evil nature, and then received glory by judging Pharaoh for his sin.

This is a hard doctrine to believe about God. It is so difficult that Paul expresses an objection in verse 19
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

It is a fair question. If God is so sovereign, why does he judge Pharaoh after he raised him up? You know Paul does not really answer his own question. His only answer is found in verse 20ff.
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Paul is saying that God can raise people up and give their evil natures free reign and then judge them because he is the potter, we are nothing more the clay in his hands.

Also, I think Romans 1 fits into this. God does restrain sin. At times, God chooses to no longer restrain sin, and allow the sinful nature of man to take its course. In Romans 1 Paul writes
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Does God stop restraining sin, and allow mans sin nature to take over and harden mans heart? The answer is yes, but God has that right. God then actively hardens mans hearts in two ways. First, by raising certain sinners up to power so that they sin more. Second, by no longer restraining sin and mans sin nature. God has not assisted men in their sin, he does not supernaturally change mens nature so that they are more evil. He does not need to do that, we are already evil enough.

I find the potter analogy interesting in Romans 9. God takes one lump of clay and makes it a vessel of honor (the saved or elect). He takes another lump and makes it a vessel of dishonor (the reprobate). Yet the truth is, we all come from the same lump. There is no difference between one lump and the next. We are all a cut of the same material. The only difference between any of us is the hands of the potter.

I simply thank God that by his grace, he did not leave me to my own nature. He chose me when I deserved only judgement. I deserved none of the favor he gave me.

I really don't know why we are really debating this issue of free will or not free will. Common sense tells that man, whether a believer or unbeliever has free moral agency, and with much scripture to back it up. But, we see, some have what I call pet doctrines, and will defend them, whether they are right or wrong. Kind of silly, HUh?

Let's look at 1 Cor. 9:27: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subject: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be castaway.

Paul called his body it. Then who is the I that brought his body into subjection? It's the man on the inside that has become a new creature in Christ. Paul made a definite distinction between it, his body, and I, the real man on the inside. Paul wasn't saying he had to bring himself, the man on the inside, into subjection. No, he said the man on the inside had to bring his body into subjection.

Not obeying this scripture is one of the major areas where believers unknowingly give Satan access into their lives. Satan is given a foothold in people's lives when they allow their bodies or flesh to dominate them, instead of allowing their recreated spirits to rule and dominate their flesh. Does this sound like believers have no free will? I think not.

You have a will but whether you are free or not is the question. The mind that is set on God is free; free so that God can teach you. The mind that is set on this world will not accept instruction. To the ones who chose I have this to say, You have chosen well. But take care. The elect are chosen from the many who are called. They are the few who receive the gifts and the rewards. If you are right then you will be saved but you will receive nothing. Your teachers will receive the rewards because what you have in you in the way of knowledge and understanding comes from them. If they are false teachers, then you will fall into the pit with them.

mondar said:
DQ, you do ask deep questions.

The hardening of the heart found in many places in the scriptures is most clearly explained in Romans 9. In Romans 9:18
18Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Paul talks about God hardening Pharaohs heart. The previous verse says how he hardened Pharaohs heart.
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
The process by which God hardened Pharaohs heart was when he raise Pharaoh up to power. No God knew the heart of Pharaoh was exceedingly sinful. It was not within the nature of the Pharaoh to obey God. Knowing Pharaohs sinful nature God nevertheless raise Pharaoh up to power and gave him opportunity to become even more proud and evil. Did God help Pharaoh to sin? Well, God did not sin with Pharaoh, but he did not restrain Pharaoh either. God could have left Pharaoh a pauper somewhere where Pharaoh would not have sinned with so much evil. So then, God did have a part in this whole thing by bringing Pharaoh to power, but since God is sovereign, he did nothing wrong. Later, the passage tells us that why God chose to raise Pharaoh to power.

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
For his own glory, God wanted to make his "shew his wrath, and make his power known."

So then God hardened Pharaohs heart by raising him up knowing his evil nature, and then received glory by judging Pharaoh for his sin.

Sorry for the deep questions. I have a youth group and my aim is to be able to answer any question they throw at me. One of them asked me about election and free will and I had never studied it before and failed them by only being able to give opinions with no bible verses.

As for your comments. I always read the story of Pharaoh as God hardened his heart right at that moment. I can't find in the verses you quoted anything that says otherwise. Plus however and whenever God hardened his heart is irelevent I think. The point is it says God did it. In Zechariah it says they did it. To me the bible always seems to say who is behind things, Satan, demons behind some illnesses, God in this case with Pharoah. Are there any verses that say it was God in Zechariah hardening their heart? I have been told to read things as stated and take them word for word. So if there are no verses to say it was God and not them as described then shouldn't I believe it was them.

With regards to the running away stuff, I think you can ignore God, I realised I don't need scripture for this answer, life experience tells me people can ignore Him. How long etc. is another matter.

Back