Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Free Will, Predeterminism and Predestination

I believe the Bible's account of the fall. Of course, I do. I am sorry if I gave that impression.
No, you didn't give the impression that you don't believe re the fall.
I'm just asking how you understand the fall.
See my post 520...

My days are numbered .

Honestly if my brother who I can post videos of his debate can watch my pastors videos and bro is free willer.pastor is a five pointer .plus my church very anti pentacostal,rents to a spanish church whose worship leader I seek counsel from and the elders know .why do I need this?
But why preach against ANY church?
Aren't we supposed to be one in Christ?
I'd stop going to a church that undermines other denominatins.
The CC, for instance, does not preach against any denomination.

I think your pastor is just hoping that you too will be a 5 pointer someday.
And why don't you go to the church from which you seek counsel??
That's private, I'm not expecting an answer - just wondering.

Of course I agree with the above.
But the tsunami is still an evil force.
It cannot be a good force since it causes so much damage.

When God put Adam in the Garden, everything was perfect.
A and Eve got along well with animals and nature.
What happened when Adam fell?
What relationships did he lose?
It is not a deliberate attempt on people's lives perpetrated by evil people, though, is it?

It is not a deliberate attempt on people's lives perpetrated by evil people, though, is it?
Of course not.
Read my post 520 and tell me what you think...

IOW, evil does not pertain only to persons.
Evil, biblically speaking, is just anything that is bad.

Of course not.
Read my post 520 and tell me what you think...

IOW, evil does not pertain only to persons.
Evil, biblically speaking, is just anything that is bad.

I see what you mean above.
Nature has no malice - is that what you're saying?

OK. Nature has no intentional malice. This is true.
But evil does not have to be intentional. Adam released evil into the world.
Nature might be reacting to some force - maybe the earth is still changing,
maybe winds are too high in speed...
however, it's important to understand (in Christianity) that Adam's fall affected everything...
His relationship to himself,
His relationship to others,
His relationship to God,
and His relationship to nature...

It would now become adversarial.
I think you've heard the phrase: MAN AGAINST NATURE.

We are not at odds with nature. It is no longer friendly toward us completely...
It can be good
and it can be evil.
Someone in the business of deforestation, for example, is working against nature with awful consequences for everyone, and as it is done deliberately, and knowingly it can truly be described as evil. On the other hand, I'm not sure if a car accident can be described as evil. Horrible and dreadful, yes, but I think the meaning of evil is another debate.

But why preach against ANY church?
Aren't we supposed to be one in Christ?
I'd stop going to a church that undermines other denominatins.
The CC, for instance, does not preach against any denomination.

I think your pastor is just hoping that you too will be a 5 pointer someday.
And why don't you go to the church from which you seek counsel??
That's private, I'm not expecting an answer - just wondering.
Because ,well why would I ask jlb about PTSD .

He like most don't understand it.

They thinks it oh that guy is a vet and lives war memories .

No it's oddly much more.

It is restlessness,it's waking up angry for unknown reasons .nightmares consist of being in uniform ,sometimes it's about over there most of the time it's simply shining boots,training .
Avoiding people because you can't socialize . depression,and suicidal idiolations .

Then the triggers which vary .mine have been jets,guns at gun range .imagine being at work and riding out the intense rush as you if are gonna die but know that isn't true and you have to fight it .

How does an uneducated elder deal with that .the person I seek has it and is trained in dealing with it.

Someone in the business of deforestation, for example, is working against nature with awful consequences for everyone, and as it is done deliberately, and knowingly it can truly be described as evil. On the other hand, I'm not sure if a car accident can be described as evil. Horrible and dreadful, yes, but I think the meaning of evil is another debate.
It's not a debate Cooper.
Maybe the following will be of help:

Evil, in a general sense, is defined as the opposite or absence of good. It can be an extremely broad concept, although in everyday usage it is often more narrowly used to talk about profound wickedness and against common good. It is generally seen as taking multiple possible forms, such as the form of personal moral evil commonly associated with the word, or impersonal natural evil (as in the case of natural disasters or illnesses), and in religious thought, the form of the demonic or supernatural/eternal.[1] While some religions, world views, and philosophies focus on "good versus evil", others deny evil's existence and usefulness in describing people.

Evil can denote profound immorality,[2] but typically not without some basis in the understanding of the human condition, where strife and suffering (cf. Hinduism) are the true roots of evil. In certain religious contexts, evil has been described as a supernatural force.[2] Definitions of evil vary, as does the analysis of its motives.[3] Elements that are commonly associated with personal forms of evil involve unbalanced behavior including anger, revenge, hatred, psychological trauma, expediency, selfishness, ignorance, destruction and neglect.[4]

In some forms of thought, evil is also sometimes perceived as the dualistic antagonistic binary opposite to good,[5] in which good should prevail and evil should be defeated.[6] In cultures with Buddhist spiritual influence, both good and evil are perceived as part of an antagonistic duality that itself must be overcome through achieving Nirvana.[6] The ethical questions regarding good and evil are subsumed into three major areas of study:[7] meta-ethics concerning
the nature of good and evil, normative ethics concerning how we ought to behave, and applied ethics concerning particular moral issues. While the term is applied to events and conditions without agency, the forms of evil addressed in this article presume one or more evildoers.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil#... Bible exercises "the,word poneros is used to

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What is considered evil?

Natural evils are bad states of affairs which do not result from the intentions or negligence of moral agents. Hurricanes and toothaches are examples of natural evils. By contrast, moral evils do result from the intentions or negligence of moral agents. Murder and lying are examples of moral evils.

source: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/concept-evil/

Because ,well why would I ask jlb about PTSD .

He like most don't understand it.

They thinks it oh that guy is a vet and lives war memories .

No it's oddly much more.

It is restlessness,it's waking up angry for unknown reasons .nightmares consist of being in uniform ,sometimes it's about over there most of the time it's simply shining boots,training .
Avoiding people because you can't socialize . depression,and suicidal idiolations .

Then the triggers which vary .mine have been jets,guns at gun range .imagine being at work and riding out the intense rush as you if are gonna die but know that isn't true and you have to fight it .

How does an uneducated elder deal with that .the person I seek has it and is trained in dealing with it.
Agreed 100%
If one hasn't tried depression,,,they think it's sadness.
If one hasn't tried anxiety,,,they think it could be controlled.

It's good for you to go to someone that understands.
I was just wondering why you don't go to HIS church instead of yours.
But no reply is necessary.
You do what's good for you!

Agreed 100%
If one hasn't tried depression,,,they think it's sadness.
If one hasn't tried anxiety,,,they think it could be controlled.

It's good for you to go to someone that understands.
I was just wondering why you don't go to HIS church instead of yours.
But no reply is necessary.
You do what's good for you!
Because they speak Spanish and it's a Spanish only church .

It's not a debate Cooper.
Maybe the following will be of help:

Evil, in a general sense, is defined as the opposite or absence of good. It can be an extremely broad concept, although in everyday usage it is often more narrowly used to talk about profound wickedness and against common good. It is generally seen as taking multiple possible forms, such as the form of personal moral evil commonly associated with the word, or impersonal natural evil (as in the case of natural disasters or illnesses), and in religious thought, the form of the demonic or supernatural/eternal.[1] While some religions, world views, and philosophies focus on "good versus evil", others deny evil's existence and usefulness in describing people.

Evil can denote profound immorality,[2] but typically not without some basis in the understanding of the human condition, where strife and suffering (cf. Hinduism) are the true roots of evil. In certain religious contexts, evil has been described as a supernatural force.[2] Definitions of evil vary, as does the analysis of its motives.[3] Elements that are commonly associated with personal forms of evil involve unbalanced behavior including anger, revenge, hatred, psychological trauma, expediency, selfishness, ignorance, destruction and neglect.[4]

In some forms of thought, evil is also sometimes perceived as the dualistic antagonistic binary opposite to good,[5] in which good should prevail and evil should be defeated.[6] In cultures with Buddhist spiritual influence, both good and evil are perceived as part of an antagonistic duality that itself must be overcome through achieving Nirvana.[6] The ethical questions regarding good and evil are subsumed into three major areas of study:[7] meta-ethics concerning
the nature of good and evil, normative ethics concerning how we ought to behave, and applied ethics concerning particular moral issues. While the term is applied to events and conditions without agency, the forms of evil addressed in this article presume one or more evildoers.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil#:~:text=The Christian Bible exercises "the,word poneros is used to

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What is considered evil?

Natural evils are bad states of affairs which do not result from the intentions or negligence of moral agents. Hurricanes and toothaches are examples of natural evils. By contrast, moral evils do result from the intentions or negligence of moral agents. Murder and lying are examples of moral evils.

source: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/concept-evil/
Personally, I would describe evil as something that is punishable under law, and I will leave it there. Thanks.

Personally, I would describe evil as something that is punishable under law, and I will leave it there. Thanks.
OK
We leave it here.
But it'll be difficult to have a discussion on this even with other members because you're using the secular meaning, not the biblical meaning.
:)

OK
We leave it here.
But it'll be difficult to have a discussion on this even with other members because you're using the secular meaning, not the biblical meaning.
:)
Is this helpful?

Evil, Evil-doer
A. Adjectives.
1. kakos (G2556) stands for "whatever is evil in character, base," in distinction (wherever the distinction is observable) from poneros (see No. 2), which indicates "what is evil in influence and effect, malignant." Kakos is the wider term and often covers the meaning of poneros. Kakos is antithetic to kalos, "fair, advisable, good in character," and to agathos, "beneficial, useful, good in act"; hence it denotes what is useless, incapable, bad; poneros is essentially antithetic to chrestos, "kind, gracious, serviceable"; hence it denotes what is destructive, injurious, evil. As evidence that poneros and kakos have much in common, though still not interchangeable, each is used of thoughts, cf. Mat_15:19 with Mar_7:21; of speech, Mat_5:11 with 1Pe_3:10; of actions, 2Ti_4:18 with 1Th_5:15; of man, Mat_18:32 with Mat_24:48.
The use of kakos may be broadly divided as follows: (a) of what is morally or ethically "evil," whether of persons, e.g., Mat_21:41; Mat_24:48; Php_3:2; Rev_2:2, or qualities, emotions, passions, deeds, e.g., Mar_7:21; Joh_18:23, Joh_18:30; Rom_1:30; Rom_3:8; Rom_7:19, Rom_7:21; Rom_13:4; Rom_14:20; Rom_16:19; 1Co_13:5; 2Co_13:7; 1Th_5:15; 1Ti_6:10; 2Ti_4:14; 1Pe_3:9, 1Pe_3:12; (b) of what is injurious, destructive, baneful, pernicious, e.g., Luk_16:25; Act_16:28; Act_28:5; Tit_1:12; Jas_3:8; Rev_16:2, where kakos and poneros come in that order, "noisome and grievous." See B, No. 3. For compounds of kakos, see below.

2. poneros (G4190), akin to ponos, "labor, toil," denotes "evil that causes labor, pain, sorrow, malignant evil" (see No. 1); it is used (a) with the meaning bad, worthless, in the physical sense, Mat_7:17-18; in the moral or ethical sense, "evil," wicked; of persons, e.g., Mat_7:11; Luk_6:45; Act_17:5; 2Th_3:2; 2Ti_3:13; of "evil" spirits, e.g., Mat_12:45; Luk_7:21; Act_19:12-13, Act_19:15-16; of a generation, Mat_12:39, Mat_12:45; Mat_16:4; Luk_11:29; of things, e.g., Mat_5:11; Mat_6:23; Mat_20:15; Mar_7:22; Luk_11:34; Joh_3:19; Joh_7:7; Act_18:14; Gal_1:4; Col_1:21; 1Ti_6:4; 2Ti_4:18; Heb_3:12; Heb_10:22; Jas_2:4; Jas_4:16; 1Jn_3:12; 2Jn_1:11; 3Jn_1:10; (b) with the meaning toilsome, painful, Eph_5:16; Eph_6:13; Rev_16:2. Cf. poneria, "iniquity, wickedness." For its use as a noun see B, No. 2.

3. phaulos (G5337) primarily denotes "slight, trivial, blown about by every wind"; then, "mean, common, bad," in the sense of being worthless, paltry or contemptible, belonging to a low order of things; in Joh_5:29, those who have practiced "evil" things, RV, "ill" (phaula), are set in contrast to those who have done good things (agatha); the same contrast is presented in Rom_9:11 and 2Co_5:10, in each of which the most authentic mss. have phaulos for kakos; he who practices "evil" things (RV, "ill") hates the light, Joh_3:20; jealousy and strife are accompanied by "every vile deed," Jas_3:16. It is used as a noun in Tit_2:8 (see B, No. 4). See BAD, ILL, VILE.

B. Nouns.
1. kakia (G2549), primarily, "badness" in quality (akin to A, No. 1), denotes (a) "wickedness, depravity, malignity," e.g., Act_8:22, "wickedness"; Rom_1:29, "maliciousness"; in Jas_1:21, KJV, "naughtiness"; (b) "the evil of trouble, affliction," Mat_6:34, only, and here alone translated "evil." see MALICE, MALICIOUSNESS, NAUGHTINESS, WICKEDNESS.

2. poneros (G4190), the adjective (A, No. 2), is used as a noun, (a) of Satan as the "evil" one, Mat_5:37; Mat_6:13; Mat_13:19, Mat_13:38; Luk_11:4 (in some texts); Joh_17:15; Eph_6:16; 2Th_3:3; 1Jn_2:13-14; 1Jn_3:12; 1Jn_5:18-19; (b) of human beings, Mat_5:45; (probably Mat_5:39); Mat_13:49; Mat_22:10; Luk_6:35; 1Co_5:13; (c) neuter, "evil (things)," Mat_9:4; Mat_12:35; Mar_7:23; Luk_3:19; "that which is evil," Luk_6:45; Rom_12:9; Act_28:21, "harm."

3. kakon (G2556), the neuter of A, No. 1, is used with the article, as a noun, e.g., Act_23:9; Rom_7:21; Heb_5:14; in the plural, "evil things," e.g., 1Co_10:6; 1Ti_6:10, "all kinds of evil," RV.

4. phaulon (G5337), the neuter of A, No. 3, is used as a noun in Tit_2:8.
5. kakopoios (G2555), properly the masculine gender of the adjective, denotes an "evil-doer" (kakon, "evil," poieo, "to do"), 1Pe_2:12, 1Pe_2:14; 1Pe_4:15; in some mss. in 1Pe_3:16 and Joh_18:30 (so the KJV). For a synonymous word see Note (1). Cf. the verb below. In the Sept., Pro_12:4; Pro_24:19. See MALEFACTOR.
Notes: (1) Kakourgos, "an evil-worker" (kakon, "evil," ergon, "a work"), is translated "evil-doer" in 2Ti_2:9, KJV (RV, "malefactor"). Cf. Luk_23:32-33, Luk_23:39.

(2) Adikema, "an injustice" (a, negative, dikaios, "just"), is translated "evil-doing," in Act_24:20, KJV, RV, "wrong-doing." see INIQUITY, WRONG.
C. Verbs.

1. kakoo (G2559), "to ill-treat" (akin to A, No. 1), is rendered "to entreat evil" in Act_7:6, Act_7:19; "made (them) evil affected," Act_14:2. See AFFECT, AFFLICT, HARM, HURT, VEX.

2. kakopoieo (G2554) signifies "to do evil" (cf. B, No. 5), Mar_3:4 (RV, "to do harm"); so, Luk_6:9; in 3Jn_1:11, "doeth evil"; in 1Pe_3:17, "evil doing." see HARM.
Note: Cf. kakologeo, "to speak evil" (see CURSE, SPEAK); kakopatheo, "to endure evil" (see ENDURE, SUFFER); kakopatheia, suffering affliction" (see SUFFER); kakoucheo, "to suffer adversity" (see SUFFER).

D. Adverb.
kakos (G2560), "badly, evilly," akin to A, No. 1, is used in the physical sense, "to be sick," e.g., Mat_4:24; Mar_1:32, Mar_1:34; Luk_5:31 (see DISEASE). In Mat_21:41 this adverb is used with the adjective, "He will miserably destroy those miserable men," more lit., "He will evilly destroy those men (evil as they are)," with stress on the adjective; (b) in the moral sense, "to speak evilly," Joh_18:23; Act_23:5; to ask evilly, Jas_4:3. See AMISS, GRIEVOUSLY, SICK, SORE.

It would be good to look up the references to see the context.

I don't understand about moral boundaries.
What would that be?
This.

Romans 8:20-21
20For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will, but because of the One who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

Romans 11:32
For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Disobedience and sin is the part of the maze that God has bound all men over to and where we exercise our free will. We can't escape this moral boundary until God calls us through the gospel and we respond in faith and are transformed. Then the "glorious freedom of the children of God" part of the maze is opened up to us and we exercise our free will there.

Last edited:
The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
It goes back to Genesis.
And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil
And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. (H7451)

(Gen 2:9 KJV) H7451 רָעָה רַע ra‛ râ‛âh rah, raw-aw'

From H7489; bad or (as noun) evil (naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil ([-favouredness], man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief (-vous), harm, heavy, hurt (-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief, (-vous), misery, naught (-ty), noisome, + not please, sad (-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked (-ly, -ness, one), worse (-st) wretchedness, wrong. [Including feminine ra’ah; as adjective or noun.]

Total KJV occurrences: 664

I do not see sad, sore, sorrow, trouble the same as I see murder for example. Neither should a sad, sorrowful person be killed, they need love and care. As usual, context is so important.

Back