Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God's Conditional Grace

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The sign of circumcision.. the SEAL of the righteousness of the faith..

Here's a wonderous example..

Romans 4 concerning what our father Abraham, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found..

Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness..

God then gave Abraham the sign of circumcision, which we are told is a SEAL of the righteousness of the faith... the faith which Abraham had BEFORE he was circumcised...

Eph 1:13 aligns perfectly.. we believe God and then God SEALS that faith with the promise of the Holy Spirit, which is circumcision of the heart..

Notice clearly that faith comes BEFORE God seals us with His Spirit.. not after..

This also affirms that CONVICTION comes first.. it's the undeniable (not irresistable) evidence concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment.. and then when this is believed.. and embraced by faith (evidence of things hoped for), then God SEALS that faith and places us into the body of Christ.

Is this genuinely what you got from what I'd written or is this discounting what I'd written by exaggerating it to ridiculousness and thereby showing its implausibility?

When I wrote about God's working through sequential processes, I obviously didn't imply that God walked through the processes Himself - He causes man to walk through them. Take it as the converse of Rom 7:17 - perhaps Gal 2:20 - as not man, but Christ in man who effectively leads him to work out His commands.

You posted (my emp) "When God works in man to will and to do of His good pleasure - He fulfills all the conditionals that we ought to have done by our own self natures but which we didn't and deserved condemnation for - such condemnation being averted by grace alone."

What I got from this is you essentially saying man is unable to keep the conditions so God has to fulfill them for man.

At least you acknowledge there are conditions for receiving God's gracefor His saving grace is NOT unconditional.

God does not fulfill the conditions for man. God gave conditions for man to keep and man is certainly able to keep them if he so chooses. It would make no sense for God to give conditions to man if man could not keep them. If God had to fulfill them for man then God would fulfill them for all men for God desires all men be saved, (1 Tim 2:4). But all men will not be saved (Mt 7:13) and, as you have it, those lost would lost due to God failing to fulfill those conditions in them.

ivdavid said:
Php 2:12 does not focus on what you have to work but rather in what manner you are to work it out - in trembling and fear - and why so? Because it is God who is effective in us to work out the good works that He has ordained us to walk in. There is no denying that we must work fully to completion the entire process of salvation commanded of us - but what causes us to work in the first place. Our flesh or Christ in us? If it's Christ in us - it is not based on conditionals, rather it is based on free unmerited grace.

The verse does not specify the works that are to be done but it does specify that YOU not God are to work them out your own self. When people work out their salvation when they obey God so God is working in them in the sense they are doing what God said to do. You admit yourself we are to work what has been commanded us and those that do obey God's commands then God through their obedience is working in them. Again, if Christ has to first cause one to be able to work, then those lost are lost due to Christ's failure to cause them to work. Your idea puts blame and culpability on God and that is why the bible does not teach man is unable so God hs to first cause man to work.

ivdavid said:
I think you might have missed this earlier post.

God's permissive will? Personally, I don't differentiate between a perfect and a permissive will - it implies that this permissive will is not necessarily perfect and that I cannot accept. I'd say it is God's perfect will to permit whatever He permitted and He is just in doing so since He is not the cause of any permitted evil. But here, you talk about God's permissive will to permit man to do good - then what is His perfect will here - that man not walk in His statutes and not make himself a new heart and spirit? Eze 36:27 means exactly what it literalistically means. In fact, Eze 36:26 has come about as part of the new covenant purely because man couldn't keep the Eze 18:30 form of the old covenant. This validates what I've been saying - that God, out of unmerited grace, does in us what we ought to have done ourselves.

Then you have a contradiction between Eze 36:27 all all the many, many passages where God commanded Israel to keep His commands and statutes. It makes no sense for God to coomand man to obey Him if man were unable. Again, your idea puts God at fault for the lost for failing to cause them to walk in His commands, for failing to give them a new heart and spirit. You claim God caused / forced Israel to walk in His statutes, then how do you explain all the many, many times Israel disobeyed God? Did God fail in His causing /forcingthem to walk in His statutes?

You do not understand that God's permissive will is sometimes expressed as God actively doing something when in reality He only permits it. It's a type of Hebrew idiom found in bible language. Example:

Duet 28:68 "And the LORD shall bring thee into Egypt again with ships, by the way whereof I spake unto thee, Thou shalt see it no more again: and there ye shall be sold unto your enemies for bondmen and bondwomen, and no man shall buy [you]. "

How can they actively be sold if no man buys? The NKJV recognizes this idiom and renders the verse:

"And the LORD will take you back to Egypt in ships, by the way of which I said to you, 'You shall never see it again.' And there you shall be offered for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you."

The NKJV does not have them actively being sold be allowed or permitted to be offered for sale.

ivdavid said:
God's ways of dealing with man is clear. He commands man to do His commandments - man has the choice to obey or disobey - man always chooses to disobey because of sin in the flesh - man is hence guilty before the just God - God further commands man to repent and believe that he may be forgiven for his transgressions - man still rejects God because of the exceeding sinfulness of sin in the flesh - God now has sovereign authority to either justly pronounce judgement upon this transgressor or He could have mercy upon him - those He does not have mercy upon, He endures with longsuffering in order to manifest His glory (in wrath) to those He wills to have mercy and compassion upon - these vessels of mercy are regenerated with a new heart and renewed spirit to love and believe in God, are granted repentance, are led to confession and forgiven, are given the adoption as sons and daughters and are preserved through sanctification unto the assured salvation of their souls - these are still commanded to obey the will of God which they now are able to do willingly because of Christ in them solely effecting their good works - these are able to rejoice in the works and righteousness of God not by way of evading their own responsibility but by owning it and being set free by unmerited grace, all by unmerited grace itself.

Man is not 'totally depraved' where he always disobeys. The bible is full of examples of those that did choose to obey and the bible does not proffer their obedience by saying God had to first enable them before they could obey. Gen 4:7 God Himselfshows Cain had within himself the ability to choose to do well, God eve tells Cain to rule over sin which would make no sense if Cain was too depraved to do so.
Again your ideas put blame and culpability on God. Zech 12:1 says God forms the spirit within man and if God formed depraved spirits within all men then God is at fault for the wrong He forced man to do by putting a depraved spirit in man. Nothing says God had to force Namaan to go and dip or that Jesus had to force the blind man togo and wash his eyes. You assume that into the texts.

ivdavid said:
Which parts of this understanding of God's process do you have issues with?

Sequence of events do matter. Given the fall of mankind into sin, we NOW say that the only way to obey God is solely by His unmerited grace working in us. But this wasn't the only option given to man - God commanded him to refrain from sinning in the first place - but sin did enter the world and this was in no way caused by God. God is now not obligated to save anyone by His unmerited grace - if all mankind were to be judged unto condemnation tomorrow, God would still be just. But that He chooses to redeem a people for Himself is by way of grace which is not at all obligatory to all or anyone.

Hence, man is not condemned for the lack of God's grace but for the sins he himself has committed. He is acquitted because of sovereign grace but condemned because of his own sins - much like the murderer who is shown mercy by a sovereign king for the transgressions he himself had committed.

The reason sovereign election is stressed upon, is to uphold 1Cor 1:29 and Gal 2:21 amongst various other such teachings.

Again, no verse says God works in man independently of man obeying God's word. God works in those that have chosen to obey His word. The bible does not teachthat God just randomlychose certain peole to work in and the rest are left to be lost. AGAIN that idea puts blame and culpability on God.

You say man is condemned for the sin he commits himself. Earlier you said man would always choose to disobey God id God did not cause man to obey. Againif God created man so depraved where is is unable to obey that would be God's fault. Your ideas put blame abd culpability on God and should therefore be rejected.

Grace : To give benefits that a person does not deserve.
Mercy : To withhold punishment that a person does deserve.
Forgiveness : To blot out the account of transgressions against us.

Thank you ivdavid. I was just making sure I remembered what those words meant after reading through the post in here. :wave

Huge disagreement here..

The Holy Spirit of God CONVICTS the WORLD of sin, righteousness, and judgment.. our Lord Jesus Christ is that true light which lighteth EVERY MAN that comes into the world.

All of this happens before regeneration... before a person is baptized into that one body by the same SPIRIT..

That's how people come to Christ... because He convinces us of these enormous issues in life.. sin, righteousness, and judgment.

If God has to first act upon the sinner to "regenerate" him, then God is at fault for all the "unregenerated" sinners that are lost. God convicts men by His word, as those in Acts 2 were pricked in their hearts simply by having Peter preach to them. No act of God separate from the word was necessary for them to have their hearts pricked and obey Peter's words of verse 38.

Sticking to the topic of this thread:
God's Conditional Grace Some are under the wrong impression that God's grace must be unconditional else man would be trying to earn grace by "working" a condition. Is that the case?

shall we sin, because we are not under law, but under grace? God forbid.—

The truth is that we are under law while under grace, for to be under grace is to be under "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (8:2), which is the gospel.
To be under grace does not exclude law. It is to be without it in one sense, but to be under it in another. The full force of the question, therefore, is: May we sin because we are not under the law, which condemns sin and makes no provision for pardoning it; but under grace, which, though we sin, provides for remitting it?

whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?—Obedience is the fist step to righteousness, disobedience to unrighteousness. To obey Jesus is the be his servants. If we obey him by the obedience to him we come to the state of righteousness.

Obedience to the form of teaching includes the quickening through faith, the death to sin, the burial and resurrection through baptism into a new life in Christ. This binds to an obedience to all the laws and regulations of the Christian religion that fit us for enjoying God's blessings.
yes obeying is meeting the conditionGod has put upon receiving grace and that obedience does not earn salvation whereby salvation is of debt and not grace. Just as Namaan's dipping did not earn his healing making his healing not of grace but of debt.

Eventide said:
What would be the point of the Holy Spirit convicting (convincing) the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, if they can't hear it or be 'pricked in the heart' by it ?
This is the very reason I believe convicting is efficacious after regeneration. It's strange that we hold the same basis to infer opposite conclusions. Man in the flesh is inclined against God and hardens his heart against the things of God. What is the point in convicting such a hardened heart of stone if this hardened heart can't be pricked. Is this not the reason we need a heart of flesh that can respond to such convicting by God and that can repent? Considering the alternative, have you reached this conclusion because you somehow hold that the new heart cannot be pricked? If so, why is that?

Eventide said:
ivdavid said:
And this conviction where the Holy Spirit presses upon the heart and mind of man - is this the hardened heart of stone and reprobate mind of man or is this the new heart and renewed mind of man? Again, when such a person responds according to the will of God to such conviction, is he doing so in the flesh or in the spirit?
No doubt it's through the POWER of the GOSPEL which is SPIRITUAL to say the least..
Could you give direct answers to the questions asked and then add your understanding to it. I do not know how I'm to interpret your answer to my questions - and I don't want to presume anything.

In my question, I'd used the preposition "in" to directly ask you what you held to be the causative force behind man's obedience to God's Gospel command. You reply with the preposition "through" which seems to be denoting the instrumental force. If that's so, you've presented a red herring and I'd like a direct answer to my questions.

Or perhaps you are saying that the Spiritual Power of the Gospel is the causative force behind man's obedience. If so, why didn't it cause obedience in the unbeliever? Is it because of his choice to reject the Gospel Power - then that likewise implies the believer chose to accept the Gospel Power. And my question would then simply be this - did the believer make this choice in the flesh or in the spirit. A direct answer would suffice but I'd be interested to read any further explanations too.

Eventide said:
ivdavid said:
By answering in the positive, are you implying that a person in the flesh can obey the law of God and please Him by believing in and into Him?
Not at all,
I asked how a person in the flesh could please God by believing in and into Him. You implied that it is possible with your "through conviction" reply. Then I ask you to confirm if you do believe it is possible and you say "not at all". Could you please clarify.

So, Is it possible for a person in the flesh to please God by believing in and into Him - yes/no would suffice but I'd readily read further explanations too.

Eventide said:
...simply affirming the truth that the Lord is (still) calling all in Adam to repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ.
This is part of the "process" of salvation, as I'd mentioned before. So why do you have to affirm something both of us already agree upon, while we're discussing a point of difference?

Eventide said:
God has mercy upon us all, as evidenced clearly in the LAST Adam justifying every last one of us through faith...
Could you clarify what you mean by "God has mercy upon us all" - if the "us" refers to us-believers then it seems to be something we already agree upon. On the contrary, if it refers to us-all-mankind, then what is the link between "God having mercy upon all" and the "evidence of every last one of us being justified through faith"? Not "every last one of us" has faith and therefore "not every last one of us" is justified - so again, how do you infer that God has mercy upon All when only a part of the All are justified through faith?

Eventide said:
and His grace is UNTO all and UPON all that BELIEVE.
But those who believe are not the All, right? So again, what is the connection?

Eventide said:
Notice clearly that faith comes BEFORE God seals us with His Spirit.. not after..
I've never believed otherwise. To me, sealing with the Holy Spirit is the final step of the conversion process, which begins with regeneration followed by convicting and which has faith as one of the intermediate steps of this process. Why must this observation of yours(that I also hold) preclude the possibility of regeneration happening before convicting and faith?

Imagine being declared righteous, or more importantly guilty, within a court of law.. without any evidence ?

That's what faith is, isn't it.. TRUSTING in the EVIDENCE which the Holy Spirit convinces us of..?
I think this is an important point, and not really an allegory. Which is why I think works are an evidence of something that happened, not a cause of something to happen.

When a lawyer introduces DNA into evidence, that lawyer is not asserting that the DNA was the cause of the crime. What the lawyer is saying is that the DNA is corresponding proof that the perpetrator was near to the crime. Works function that way.

At this point I think we really need to voice what we think is evidence, and what the real function is for different concepts in justification as well as condemnation. In my view they're different, too, btw.

For justification:
grace: motive
Christ: cause
faith: instrument
works: evidence

For condemnation:
morality: motive
works: cause

The SEAL of the righteousness of the faith...

ivdavid,

I too agree that I wasn't answering your question as clearly as I probably could, and that's why I posted the reference to Romans 4 and what our father Abraham hath found, as pertaining to the flesh..

And the rest is clear imo.. God gave him the sign of circumcision after he believed, which is the SEAL of the righteousness of the faith..

imo this could not be more clear and it actually makes no sense to me whatsoever if it's the other way around.. :)

If God has to first act upon the sinner to "regenerate" him, then God is at fault for all the "unregenerated" sinners that are lost. God convicts men by His word, as those in Acts 2 were pricked in their hearts simply by having Peter preach to them. No act of God separate from the word was necessary for them to have their hearts pricked and obey Peter's words of verse 38.

E,

I couldn't agree more.. and the point I would like to emphasize is that conviction does clearly come before regeneration.

But man certainly does not need to be obedient for God to convict him... in fact it's because of our going astray that He is calling us back to Him in the first place..

Yes ?

Re: The SEAL of the righteousness of the faith...

ivdavid,

I too agree that I wasn't answering your question as clearly as I probably could, and that's why I posted the reference to Romans 4 and what our father Abraham hath found, as pertaining to the flesh..

And the rest is clear imo.. God gave him the sign of circumcision after he believed, which is the SEAL of the righteousness of the faith..

imo this could not be more clear and it actually makes no sense to me whatsoever if it's the other way around.. :)

I also believe that 'regeneration' is exclusively a NT truth.. ie, the Spirit came upon men in the OT although we read nothing even remotely close to being 'born again' by the Spirit of Christ in the OT..

That's why He spoke through the PROPHETS.. and imo this is why the Holy Spirit can say that this is what our father Abraham hath found, pertaining to the flesh..

Hello, i am new here. but this is my topic , "GRACE", hope to be able to join in this conversation? :study

Isa 54:9

For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.
Isa 54:10

For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

Isa 54:17

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Who has anything from God? That they did not receive from Him, by grace?

IMO, not a single one of us.

That's why imo E's OP is excellent... and imo proves that grace is still grace regardless of what the LORD asks us to do.. in response to that grace..

The Law has rewards for performance. They exist. They're really there. But they don't save us. The sole reward of salvation is perfect compliance with all the Law.

"Got perfect?"

Paul only describes two types of stipulations that God provides: law and promise. We know what the law's answer is. So the alternative is promise.

Promises are unilateral. They're not conditioned on performance, that's a law. The only alternative is promise, and it's given to those based on a condition, sure -- but the condition isn't something inside someone, it's something inside the One making the promise. He directs the promise to a certain group of people. And the promise will be fulfilled: it's a promise from someone who's trustworthy.

Galatians 3 describes the alternatives. I'd quote it, but it's the whole chapter.

I AM thy exceeding and great REWARD !

There shall also be REWARDS for service.. although that too in no way diminishes salvation which is by grace through faith, and even that is not of ourselves.. for faith (the substance of things hoped for, and the EVIDENCE of things unseen), all ORIGINATES from Him..

We're even led to repentance by the goodness of God..

Ok so that's .03 perhaps..

Re: I AM thy exceeding and great REWARD !

There shall also be REWARDS for service.. although that too in no way diminishes salvation which is by grace through faith, and even that is not of ourselves.. for faith (the substance of things hoped for, and the EVIDENCE of things unseen), all ORIGINATES from Him..

We're even led to repentance by the goodness of God..

Ok so that's .03 perhaps..

1Co 15:10

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Its hard for some to enter into the works of grace? The "natural mind "can not understand how in weakness we are made :)strong!

1Co 15:10

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Its hard for some to enter into the works of grace? The "natural mind "can not understand how in weakness we are made :)strong!

Once again I completely agree that we're saved by grace through faith...

What must I do to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ

b) Nothing

Once again I completely agree that we're saved by grace through faith...

What must I do to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ

b) Nothing

I think right, therefore i believe right,i believe right therefore i act right!:clap
"take every thought captive"
"the rightoeusness of faith"
"as a man believes in his heart" so is he!:)

Hello, i am new here. but this is my topic , "GRACE", hope to be able to join in this conversation? :study

Isa 54:9

For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.
Isa 54:10

For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

Isa 54:17

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

God has unconditionally blessed all men with physical blessings as water, food and even with life itself. But there are times where God made physical blessings conditional as with Namaan and the blind man. Yet when it comes to salvation, God has always made salvation conditional. Yet working to meet those conditions does not make salvation of debt and not of grace.

Naaman had to meet the condition of dipping to be cleansed. Did his work of dipping mean his cleansing was not of grace but of debt?

I think right, therefore i believe right,i believe right therefore i act right!:clap
"take every thought captive"
"the rightoeusness of faith"
"as a man believes in his heart" so is he!:)

A painfully simple question which sadly many can't even answer...

Re: For the LAW was given by Moses, but Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ...

And the Apostle to the GENTILES is speaking about when the LORD baptized us into the body of Christ by that same SPIRIT.

A believer can only 'put on Christ' if they're born again by the power of the HOLY SPIRIT, although any person can be baptized in water and NOT be saved, and therefore they could NOT put on Christ.

How about baptizing all those infants... you think that all of them have put on Christ ?

Who said anything about infants? they can hear but can they believe what they cannot yet understand? I say no, therefore your conclusion is correct, they just got wet.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.. Peter is the Apostle to the Circumcision (ie, JEWS), and this is within the context of Israel.

Why wouldn't you show the portion of scripture which speaks of the GENTILES receiving the SPIRIT before they were baptized.. ?
Because only twice has there been anyone baptized with the Holy Spirit and is not relevant, once to the Apostles (Jews) on Pentecost , and once to the house of Cornelius (Gentile) to show all (including the Apostles) that God was not a respecter of person... this is not the baptism you or I or anyone receives today and this baptism did not save them, the very next verse Peter says:

Acts 10:47 (KJV)
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Verse 48 Peter commands them to be Baptized... Why? if this baptism of the Holy Spirit is what you say IS our baptism, then why command them to be baptized with water? because:

1 Peter 3:20-22 (KJV)
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us
(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:...

Imo this portion is not speaking of OUR water baptism, but rather the baptism of Christ upon Calvary's forsaken cross, where He alone purged our sins... and I don't understand how people come up with the water saving Noah and his family.. when it DESTROYED everyone who was not in the Ark... ?
The water is here shown as the instrument of salvation and cleansing of sin by example (Noah and his ark, and cleansing the earth) so too does baptism, the instrument being the water, and THROUGH IT we are now saved... but so as not for any to draw conclusion that this be a ritual (show of obedience as some do today) the writer includes (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back