Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hell according to Jesus and His apostles

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Those who look at the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man as to be taken literally, will be saying all the righteous can literally fit in the literal human bosom of Abraham. I don't believe that to be true. So obviously the bosom of Abraham means something other than the literal human bosom of Abraham. If the bosom of Abraham then is not to be taken literally as the literal human bosom of Abraham then much of the parable means something other than what's literally being said.

Yes sir, we believe that when a person dies they cease to exist, you are correct on that. it was satan that stated you will not die, God said you would, I believe Him sir. If you end up dying, and something does go on then it will be settled for you at that time for sure. We believe in what will seem like an instant in time you will awaken in the resurrection Alfred.
You ignored God saying the wicked who repents will not die. Satan lie to Eve, but she died immediately, spiritually not physically. Death is "separation from God," and that was manifest in their separation from God, now they were ashamed of their nakedness. Not before. Now they were sinful, afraid of the presence of the Holy God. That is "dead", not death of a soul. I proved that citing Ezekiel 18:20-21. Here it is again, don't ignore God's promise repentant souls do NOT DIE when the body dies:

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Ezek. 18:20-21 KJV)

Those who look at the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man as to be taken literally, will be saying all the righteous can literally fit in the literal human bosom of Abraham. I don't believe that to be true. So obviously the bosom of Abraham means something other than the literal human bosom of Abraham. If the bosom of Abraham then is not to be taken literally as the literal human bosom of Abraham then much of the parable means something other than what's literally being said.
No one does that. You created an absurd straw man to beat up, but he won the fight!

It is obvious the symbolism is not literal, everyone knows that.

And your premise symbolic language cannot refer to actual reality is absurd. Christ refers to Himself as the bread who came down from heaven, which if someone eats they will live.

We all know that is literally true, if a person believes and ingests all He taught and did, they will be translated from death into life, born again.

But according to your argument, its not true. Your premise fails the test.

Those who look at the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man as to be taken literally, will be saying all the righteous can literally fit in the literal human bosom of Abraham. I don't believe that to be true.

??? This is silly. A Strawman, in fact, of what those who think the parable describes a real, literal place, believe. I think what Jesus described of the places in which Lazarus and the Rich Man found themselves after death are actual regions of the afterlife in which one will reside, depending upon one's spiritual status at death, but I've never thought "Abraham's Bosom" was actually the bosom of the man, Abraham.

So obviously the bosom of Abraham means something other than the literal human bosom of Abraham.

Yes, obviously.

If the bosom of Abraham then is not to be taken literally as the literal human bosom of Abraham then much of the parable means something other than what's literally being said.

This is specious reasoning at its finest. It just simply doesn't follow that, because Jesus was not speaking literally in one part of his parable, the entire parable is figurative. People use metaphors, similes and analogies (aka - figurative language) all the time when speaking of real, actual circumstances, and events, and things. For example, Bob might refer to his pet mastiff as "my hairy goon," or "my yard guard," or "my other child," and then tell a story about how his mastiff bit the mailman. But having referred to his dog in a figurative way by no means makes Bob's entire story about his dog biting the mailman a figurative event.

No one does that. You created an absurd straw man to beat up, but he won the fight!

It is obvious the symbolism is not literal, everyone knows that.

And your premise symbolic language cannot refer to actual reality is absurd. Christ refers to Himself as the bread who came down from heaven, which if someone eats they will live.

We all know that is literally true, if a person believes and ingests all He taught and did, they will be translated from death into life, born again.

But according to your argument, its not true. Your premise fails the test.
It doesn't fail any test. When it comes to the story of Lazarus and the Rich man that Jesus told, anyone believing it to be an actual historical event to have happened and that we have to take the fires of Hade as literal I don't agree with. Just as I'm not to take the bosom of Abraham as the literal human bosom of Abraham I don't take the rest of the story as some event that literally happened.

Strawman. This isn't what I wrote. Please read more carefully.

An argument against a Strawman.

Pot and kettle, sir. Pot and kettle.

I don't; the Bible does.

I'm sure you know full well that the term "hell" in the Bible refers to a number of different things: the grave, Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, the Lake of Fire.

As Revelation 20:14 indicated, Hades (aka - hell) is cast into the Lake of Fire (Gehenna - aka - hell) at The Great White Throne Judgment, along with death. Until that time, the Rich Man in the flames of torment (in Hades, presumably) remains in them but will end up ultimately in Gehenna, the Lake of Fire, where all whose names do not appear in the Lamb's Book of Life will end up. And as Revelation 20:13-15 indicates, there is no second chance offered to anyone at The Great White Throne Judgment.

God does not need the Final Judgment to know that a man is to be consigned to the flames of torment, nor does He need to wait for that time of judgment in order to rightfully, justly consign an unrepentant sinner to torment. God, being omniscient, has always known who would be cast out from Him into eternal hell; He doesn't determine such a thing only at the Final Great White Throne Judgment. And so, it is right and just that the unrepentant, rebellious sinner, whom God knows to be such, go immediately into the torment they deserve. Being the Final Arbiter of all such things, with a perfect knowledge of how a person has lived, He is not obliged to wait on a process of law as we humans do, withholding punishment of the sinner until their sin is prosecuted.

Again, please read more carefully.

"As I've explained to you before, it is the permanent removal of the presence of sin (Revelation 21:26-27; Psalms 1:5-6) from the born-again, who, in Christ, have already been made free from the penalty and power of sin."

Did you read the two passages cited above? Did you consider the other passages that followed this quotation that indicated that the believer "waits eagerly" for the completion of what was begun when they were converted? Apparently not. All of the "wait eagerly" passages show us that there is more yet to come for the saved person who has already been freed from the penalty and power of sin. Their salvation is completed, not only by the permanent removal of sin from them, but in the glorification of their bodies, and in the eternal joy of being in the presence of Christ. Do you deny that the believer must wait for these things, even though they're saved? Do you deny that these things are part of what their salvation, their spiritual birthright as born-again children of God?

But all of these...objections are just deflections, I think, from the other rebuttals I made to your Second Chance Theory.
Alfred Persson said:
You weren't saved "when you believed"?
You must wait for Christ's second coming?
You must wait for Judgment Day?

Tenchi
Strawman. This isn't what I wrote. Please read more carefully.

Alfred Persson said:
Why doesn't the Bible say:
"Believe in the Lord Jesus and at His second coming you will be saved?"
"Believe in the Lord Jesus and your salvation will be completed on Judgment Day when He purges sin from you?"

Tenchi
An argument against a Strawman.

Alfred Persson said:
Nothing convoluted in your exegesis? Eh? Doesn't seem that way so far.

Tenchi
Pot and kettle, sir. Pot and kettle.

Not a strawman. In post #34 you said: "There will come a time when Jesus returns to earth to complete the salvation of the born-again, bringing them into an eternal rest in the new heavens earth."

An incomplete salvation means your salvation isn't complete.

Hence, none of my questions were out of line.

You have only yourself to blame for misstating what you believe. Its self-contradiction a "completely saved man claim his salvation will be completed in the future."

Alfred Persson said:
Instead of a judgment that happens when men die once, you put it far into the future at the Great White Throne Judgment.

Tenchi
I don't; the Bible does.

The Bible does not, only you. Jesus said those who believe in this life do not come under judgment, even one claiming to "complete their salvation.":

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment (2920 κρίσις krisis), but has passed from death into life. (Jn. 5:24 NKJ)

Hebrews 10:10-14 does not contradict this. The apostle says Christ's "one offering…has perfected for all time those who ARE sanctified". Their "sanctification" is complete, already done, not "completed in the future."

THAT contradicts your statement in Post #23: when Christ returns, enjoy the "salvation without reference to sin" which is the completion of our salvation in the eternal eradication of the presence of sin in the New Jerusalem

Your unscriptural beliefs contradict the plain meaning of Hebrews 9:27-28. After men die once a judgment determines which part of the "unseen realm (=HADES)" they go. The saved enter the presence of the LORD, in paradise/third heaven/Abrahams Bosom, the unsaved to the region of Hades beneath the earth. How tormenting it is depends on the gravity of sin. Its according to works, deeds.

Those who commit eternal sins are cast down into the "lowest sheol/hades/hell" and there is not "second chance" for them.

That is NOT the final judgment. On Judgment Day all of hades is emptied out, and some are raised to a resurrection of life, some a resurrection of condemnation:

Christ has "life in Himself". All who obediently hear His voice while in the grave will come out to a resurrection of life, those who do not obey rise to a resurrection of condemnation, = "the second death":

26 "For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 "and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
28 "Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:26-29 NKJ)

13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:13-15 NKJ)

Tenchi
As Revelation 20:14 indicated, Hades (aka - hell) is cast into the Lake of Fire (Gehenna - aka - hell) at The Great White Throne Judgment, along with death. Until that time, the Rich Man in the flames of torment (in Hades, presumably) remains in them but will end up ultimately in Gehenna, the Lake of Fire, where all whose names do not appear in the Lamb's Book of Life will end up. And as Revelation 20:13-15 indicates, there is no second chance offered to anyone at The Great White Throne Judgment.

Protestants need to revisit the traditions about hell they inherited from Catholicism. Its pagan infested, veiling Scripture confusing people.

Its ludicrous the 'fires of hell still surround the rich man" when He is standing before God at His Throne.' Therefore, torment in Hades CANNOT BE ETERNAL TORMENT. Moreover, eternal destiny isn't set until Judgment Day.

These facts disprove Catholic/Protestant/Pagan beliefs about Hades and require Bible Believing Christians revisit the "Rich Man and Lazarus" parable to determine what is really happening there:

I did that here and on my site:

https://endtimenews.net/does-the-bible-teach-a-second-chance/

Tenchi
God does not need the Final Judgment to know that a man is to be consigned to the flames of torment, nor does He need to wait for that time of judgment in order to rightfully, justly consign an unrepentant sinner to torment. God, being omniscient, has always known who would be cast out from Him into eternal hell; He doesn't determine such a thing only at the Final Great White Throne Judgment. And so, it is right and just that the unrepentant, rebellious sinner, whom God knows to be such, go immediately into the torment they deserve. Being the Final Arbiter of all such things, with a perfect knowledge of how a person has lived, He is not obliged to wait on a process of law as we humans do, withholding punishment of the sinner until their sin is prosecuted.

God's omniscience means Judgment Day is a charade? People are not judged according to their works at that time, its just theater?

Your unscriptural theories only raise one question. "What denomination teaches such nonsense?" Tell me so I can stay far away from them.

It doesn't fail any test. When it comes to the story of Lazarus and the Rich man that Jesus told, anyone believing it to be an actual historical event to have happened and that we have to take the fires of Hade as literal I don't agree with. Just as I'm not to take the bosom of Abraham as the literal human bosom of Abraham I don't take the rest of the story as some event that literally happened.
Its not a parable. Parables don't use real names. In context, its a warning to the Pharisees where they will end up if they continue to disregard Christ's authority over them, including their wealth.

13 "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."
14 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard all these things, and they derided Him. (Lk. 16:13-14 NKJ)

You should reconsider your conclusions, their premises are unsound.

Ignoring Christ's warning about the afterlife isn't wise, its the opposite in fact.

Not a strawman. In post #34 you said: "There will come a time when Jesus returns to earth to complete the salvation of the born-again, bringing them into an eternal rest in the new heavens earth."

An incomplete salvation means your salvation isn't complete.

Hence, none of my questions were out of line.

This is exactly why I've urged you to read more carefully - as you should do when reading Scripture. I explained what I meant by "complete the salvation of the born-again" in my very next words: "bringing them into an eternal rest in the new heavens and earth." The believer's salvation culminates in this rest with Christ in the hereafter, the believer enjoying a resurrected, glorified body and the beauty and delight of the eternal New Jerusalem that is utterly free of all sin. Do you experience these things now, Alfred Persson? No. They are yet to come, if you're a saved person. But this fact doesn't mean your redemption from the penalty of your sin isn't accomplished, or that the power of sin has not been broken in your life, or that you aren't adopted by God as one of His own. I am very puzzled by what appears to me to be willful obtuseness on your part in understanding this.

Its self-contradiction a "completely saved man claim his salvation will be completed in the future."

A man who has just had a cancerous brain tumor removed and been saved from death as a result, must go home and heal from the surgery, regain his strength, and return to his former, tumor-free life. Though the surgery was a complete success, and the man need no longer fear the tumor's deadly effects, it will some time before he fully enjoys all the benefits of his salvation worked upon him by the brain surgeon. Does this mean the man has not been truly saved from his brain tumor? No, of course not. Nor does it mean, when the full effects of a person's salvation remain to be fulfilled in the future, that their salvation from the deadly effect of their sin has not been successfully accomplished. This is so obvious I feel odd having to explain it to you.

The Bible does not, only you. Jesus said those who believe in this life do not come under judgment, even one claiming to "complete their salvation."

No, sir. I explained from Scripture why your Second Chance Theory is false. Anyone reading this thread can see that this is so. Why, then, deny it and make yourself a liar?

Hebrews 10:10-14 does not contradict this. The apostle says Christ's "one offering…has perfected for all time those who ARE sanctified". Their "sanctification" is complete, already done, not "completed in the future."

I've never suggested that what requires completion is the believer's sanctification. See above. Again, if you'd read carefully what I'd written, and not take my words out of their context, you could avoid these Strawman mischaracterizations of my posts.

Your unscriptural beliefs contradict the plain meaning of Hebrews 9:27-28.

Nope. There is in my remarks no contradiction of God's word, but only of your wonky interpretation of it.

All who obediently hear His voice while in the grave will come out to a resurrection of life, those who do not obey rise to a resurrection of condemnation, = "the second death":

26 "For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 "and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
28 "Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:26-29 NKJ)

Here, AGAIN, you are mishandling God's word. Verse 29 doesn't say that those in the graves who "obediently hear Christ's voice" rise to life. All who are in the grave - good and evil - hear his voice and rise from the grave.

John 5:28-29 (NASB)
28 "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which ALL who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

But only those "who did good deeds" before their death, rise to life; those who committed evil deeds while living rise to judgment. There is NOTHING in the John 5 passage above that says anything about those in the grave "obediently hearing Christ's voice" and so escaping eternal hell. What a bald-faced contortion of God's word you've presented here! Wow.

Protestants need to revisit the traditions about hell they inherited from Catholicism. Its pagan infested, veiling Scripture confusing people.

Is this supposed to be a refutation of what I explained from Scripture? I can tell you it most certainly isn't. This is empty rhetoric, brother(?). Nothing more.

Its ludicrous the 'fires of hell still surround the rich man" when He is standing before God at His Throne.' Therefore, torment in Hades CANNOT BE ETERNAL TORMENT.

PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE CAREFULLY! Sheesh. This is a silly Strawman of what I wrote. Not even, really, since it bears not even the slightest resemblance to anything I've written in this thread.

I did that here and on my site:

You have a site? Yikes.

God's omniscience means Judgment Day is a charade? People are not judged according to their works at that time, its just theater?

??? And more Strawman stuff. None of what I wrote requires these conclusions. But they sure are easier to deal with than what I actually wrote, eh?

Your unscriptural theories only raise one question. "What denomination teaches such nonsense?" Tell me so I can stay far away from them.

Sir, you are already an enormous distance from it. "There is a way that seems right to a man..."

Its not a parable. Parables don't use real names. In context, its a warning to the Pharisees where they will end up if they continue to disregard Christ's authority over them, including their wealth.

13 "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."
14 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard all these things, and they derided Him. (Lk. 16:13-14 NKJ)

You should reconsider your conclusions, their premises are unsound.

Ignoring Christ's warning about the afterlife isn't wise, its the opposite in fact.
Parables don't have real names? You think simply because the name Lazarus is used that means it's absolutely not a parable? What about the Rich man, is that individuals real name, the Rich man?
The rich man and Lazarus are story characters in one of Jesus’ speeches. (Luke 16:19-31) In the story, these men represented two groups of people: (1) the proud Jewish religious leaders of Jesus’ day and (Pharisees) (2) the lowly but sincere people who responded to Jesus’ message.(Apostles and disciples of Jesus)

Did this story really happen? No. This is a parable that Jesus related in order to teach a lesson. The fact that this is a parable is acknowledged by scholars. For example, a subheading in the 1912 edition of Luther’s Bible states that this is a parable. And the Catholic Jerusalem Bible, in a footnote, states that this is a “parable in story form without reference to any historical personage.”

Was Jesus teaching lessons about life after death? Did he mean that some people suffer in a hellfire when they die and that Abraham and Lazarus were in heaven?

How could Abraham be alive in heaven, since Jesus clearly stated that up to the time Jesus related the parable, no one had gone to heaven?(John 3:13)

Although this is not a literal story, some argue that it symbolizes the idea that good people go to heaven and bad people are tormented in hellfire, but is that conclusion reasonable? No.

The teaching of hellfire does not fit in with what the Bible says about the condition of the dead. For example, it does not say that all good people who die experience bliss in heaven or that bad people are tortured in hellfire. Rather, the Bible clearly states: “The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all.”(Ecclesiastes 9:5)

The story shows that two groups of people were about to experience a great change in circumstances.

The rich man evidently symbolized the Jewish religious leaders, “who were money lovers.” (Luke 16:14) They listened as Jesus spoke, but they opposed his message. These religious leaders looked down on the common people.(John 7:49)

Lazarus symbolized the common people who accepted Jesus’ message and who were despised by the Jewish religious leaders.

The change in circumstances was drastic for both groups.
The Jewish religious leaders thought that they enjoyed God’s favor. But they experienced death, as it were, when God rejected them and their form of worship because they did not accept Jesus’ message. And they were tormented by the message that Jesus and his followers preached.(Matthew 23:29, 30; Acts 5:29-33)

The common people—who had long been neglected by their religious leaders—were now experiencing favor. Many accepted the Scriptural message that Jesus taught and benefited from it. They now had the opportunity to enjoy God’s favor eternally.(John 17:3)

The setting, in Luke 16:14, 15, shows that the money-loving Pharisees were listening and sneering. But Jesus told them: “You are those who declare yourselves righteous before men, but God knows your hearts; because what is lofty among men is a disgusting thing in God’s sight.”

The “purple and linen” in which the rich man was decked out were comparable to garb worn only by princes, nobles, and priests. (Esther 8:15; Genesis 41:42; Exodus 28:4, 5) They were very costly. Hades, where this rich man is said to have gone, is the common grave of dead mankind. That it cannot be concluded from this parable that Hades itself is a place of blazing fire is made clear at Revelation 20:14, where death and Hades are described as being hurled into “the lake of fire.” The death of the rich man and his being in Hades must therefore be figurative, figurative death being mentioned elsewhere in the Scriptures. (Luke 9:60; Colossians 2:13; 1Timothy 5:6) So the fiery torment was experienced while he was figuratively dead but actually alive as a human. Fire is used in God’s Word to describe his fiery judgment messages (Jeremiah 5:14; 23:29), and the work done by God’s prophets in declaring his judgments is said to ‘torment’ those who oppose God and his servants.(Revelations 11:7, 10)

Lazarus is a Grecianized form of the Hebrew name Eleazar, which means “God Has Helped.” The dogs that licked his sores were apparently scavengers that roamed the streets and were viewed as unclean. Lazarus’ being in the bosom position of Abraham indicates that he was in a position of favor (compare John 1:18), this figure of speech being drawn from the practice of reclining at meals in such a way that one could lean back on the bosom of a friend.(John 13:23-25)

This is exactly why I've urged you to read more carefully - as you should do when reading Scripture.
Here, AGAIN, you are mishandling God's word. Verse 29 doesn't say that those in the graves who "obediently hear Christ's voice" rise to life. All who are in the grave - good and evil - hear his voice and rise from the grave.

John 5:28-29 (NASB)
28 "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which ALL who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

But only those "who did good deeds" before their death, rise to life; those who committed evil deeds while living rise to judgment. There is NOTHING in the John 5 passage above that says anything about those in the grave "obediently hearing Christ's voice" and so escaping eternal hell. What a bald-faced contortion of God's word you've presented here! Wow.
Only scripture merits my complete attention, nothing is on par with it. Word your posts better, if you don't believe your salvation is completed later, don't say it will be. I won't study everything you say to look for subtle nuance. Don't have the time or desire.

As we are going in circles, I'll focus on Jesus' words in John 5:28-29.

At least your exegesis here is standard, commonly believed as I did once also. But context indicates the acts done in repsonse to Christ's voice are the focus, whether one believes the gospel or not.

In John 5:25 and John 5:28 both the living and the dead "hear the voice" (ἀκούσονται τῆς φωνῆς) of the Son of God. Those who obey after hearing in John 5:24 pass from death into life.

Is it possible the same sequence of events occur in John 5:28-29? The phrasing is the same, and both speak of "the spiritually dead" hearing:

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice (ἀκούσονται τῆς φωνῆς) of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. (Jn. 5:24-25 KJV)

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice (ἀκούσονται τῆς φωνῆς),
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good (ἀγαθὰ ποιήσαντες aorist participle), unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil (φαῦλα πράξαντες aorist participle), unto the resurrection of damnation (Jn. 5:28-29 KJV)

The aorist participle ποιήσαντες (4160 ποιέω poieo) in John 5:29 can be translated "did" (YLT, NAS, NJB), the action occurring AFTER hearing Christ's voice:

Many commentators minimize the subsequent (following) use of the aorist participle. Even such scholars as Robertson and Moulton, who recognize that the participle is not time-bound, resist this category of usage. But there are a number of examples in biblical and extra-biblical Greek where an aorist participle is used to refer to an action occurring after the action of the main verb. In virtually all of these examples, the aorist participle is placed after the main verb in syntactical order.-Porter, S. E. (1999). Idioms of the Greek New Testament (p. 189). JSOT.

The immediate context implies that is Christ's meaning. The Father has given power to make alive what is dead to Jesus. Just as the Father makes the dead alive if they obey His voice, so also the Son makes the dead alive when they obey His voice:

25 "Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:25-29 NKJ)

Last edited:
Parables don't have real names? You think simply because the name Lazarus is used that means it's absolutely not a parable? What about the Rich man, is that individuals real name, the Rich man?
The rich man and Lazarus are story characters in one of Jesus’ speeches. (Luke 16:19-31) In the story, these men represented two groups of people: (1) the proud Jewish religious leaders of Jesus’ day and (Pharisees) (2) the lowly but sincere people who responded to Jesus’ message.(Apostles and disciples of Jesus)

Did this story really happen? No. This is a parable that Jesus related in order to teach a lesson. The fact that this is a parable is acknowledged by scholars. For example, a subheading in the 1912 edition of Luther’s Bible states that this is a parable. And the Catholic Jerusalem Bible, in a footnote, states that this is a “parable in story form without reference to any historical personage.”

Was Jesus teaching lessons about life after death? Did he mean that some people suffer in a hellfire when they die and that Abraham and Lazarus were in heaven?

How could Abraham be alive in heaven, since Jesus clearly stated that up to the time Jesus related the parable, no one had gone to heaven?(John 3:13)

Although this is not a literal story, some argue that it symbolizes the idea that good people go to heaven and bad people are tormented in hellfire, but is that conclusion reasonable? No.

The teaching of hellfire does not fit in with what the Bible says about the condition of the dead. For example, it does not say that all good people who die experience bliss in heaven or that bad people are tortured in hellfire. Rather, the Bible clearly states: “The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all.”(Ecclesiastes 9:5)

The story shows that two groups of people were about to experience a great change in circumstances.

The rich man evidently symbolized the Jewish religious leaders, “who were money lovers.” (Luke 16:14) They listened as Jesus spoke, but they opposed his message. These religious leaders looked down on the common people.(John 7:49)

Lazarus symbolized the common people who accepted Jesus’ message and who were despised by the Jewish religious leaders.

The change in circumstances was drastic for both groups.
The Jewish religious leaders thought that they enjoyed God’s favor. But they experienced death, as it were, when God rejected them and their form of worship because they did not accept Jesus’ message. And they were tormented by the message that Jesus and his followers preached.(Matthew 23:29, 30; Acts 5:29-33)

The common people—who had long been neglected by their religious leaders—were now experiencing favor. Many accepted the Scriptural message that Jesus taught and benefited from it. They now had the opportunity to enjoy God’s favor eternally.(John 17:3)

The setting, in Luke 16:14, 15, shows that the money-loving Pharisees were listening and sneering. But Jesus told them: “You are those who declare yourselves righteous before men, but God knows your hearts; because what is lofty among men is a disgusting thing in God’s sight.”

The “purple and linen” in which the rich man was decked out were comparable to garb worn only by princes, nobles, and priests. (Esther 8:15; Genesis 41:42; Exodus 28:4, 5) They were very costly. Hades, where this rich man is said to have gone, is the common grave of dead mankind. That it cannot be concluded from this parable that Hades itself is a place of blazing fire is made clear at Revelation 20:14, where death and Hades are described as being hurled into “the lake of fire.” The death of the rich man and his being in Hades must therefore be figurative, figurative death being mentioned elsewhere in the Scriptures. (Luke 9:60; Colossians 2:13; 1Timothy 5:6) So the fiery torment was experienced while he was figuratively dead but actually alive as a human. Fire is used in God’s Word to describe his fiery judgment messages (Jeremiah 5:14; 23:29), and the work done by God’s prophets in declaring his judgments is said to ‘torment’ those who oppose God and his servants.(Revelations 11:7, 10)

Lazarus is a Grecianized form of the Hebrew name Eleazar, which means “God Has Helped.” The dogs that licked his sores were apparently scavengers that roamed the streets and were viewed as unclean. Lazarus’ being in the bosom position of Abraham indicates that he was in a position of favor (compare John 1:18), this figure of speech being drawn from the practice of reclining at meals in such a way that one could lean back on the bosom of a friend.(John 13:23-25)
You should start a thread on your beliefs, I'd engage you there. State what you believe and why. I'd love to address some of your positions, but here most people won't see it or responses to it.

I am the worst offender of this good advice: Break up the subject into concise statements and start multiple threads where it diverges from commonly accepted belief. You'll be glad you did, otherwise everything gets confused and few people will reply to large posts.

You should start a thread on your beliefs, I'd engage you there. State what you believe and why. I'd love to address some of your positions, but here most people won't see it or responses to it.

I am the worst offender of this good advice: Break up the subject into concise statements and start multiple threads where it diverges from commonly accepted belief. You'll be glad you did, otherwise everything gets confused and few people will reply to large posts.
Reply, don't reply. There still going to be scholars who are going to consider this a parable. People want to disagree with that so be it.

Reply, don't reply. There still going to be scholars who are going to consider this a parable. People want to disagree with that so be it.
Scholars disagree with each other, and themselves given enough time. That is a slim reed to pin anything on.

Jesus is the Word of God, God the Son. I would go the extra mile to be sure He wasn't speaking about a literal place of torment for those who disrespect His authority over all they possess.

5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!"
6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid.
(Matt. 17:5-6 NKJ)

Last edited:
Scholars disagree with each other, and themselves given enough time. That is a slim reed to pin anything on.

Jesus is the Word of God, God the Son. I would go the extra mile to be sure He wasn't speaking about a literal place of torment for those who disrespect His authority over all they possess.

5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!"
6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid.
(Matt. 17:5-6 NKJ)
Like I said I know for a fact that when Jesus said that when Lazarus died he was carried off to Abraham's bosom, Jesus wasn't talking about Lazarus being carried to the literal human bosom of Abraham. So I see the Lazarus and the Rich Man as a parable. You don't won't to agree with that, so be it.

The scriptures make it clear at Genesis 2:7 that human beings are souls, not that they have souls. So human beings don't literally have souls that separate from the human body at death and literally go anywhere. Also the spirit that's in human beings is the same spirit that's in animals. (Ecclesiastes 3:19) So the spirit in human beings isn't some conscious invisible person either.

Like I said I know for a fact that when Jesus said that when Lazarus died he was carried off to Abraham's bosom, Jesus wasn't talking about Lazarus being carried to the literal human bosom of Abraham. So I see the Lazarus and the Rich Man as a parable. You don't won't to agree with that, so be it.

The scriptures make it clear at Genesis 2:7 that human beings are souls, not that they have souls. So human beings don't literally have souls that separate from the human body at death and literally go anywhere. Also the spirit that's in human beings is the same spirit that's in animals. (Ecclesiastes 3:19) So the spirit in human beings isn't some conscious invisible person either.
Jesus' parable shows a soul in Hades, you believe He lied? Or misinformed?

Do parables use lies, falsehood, to symbolize truth?

Jesus' parable shows a soul in Hades, you believe He lied? Or misinformed?

Do parables use lies, falsehood, to symbolize truth?
I believe Jesus told a parable. Jesus didn't use the word soul anywhere in that parable of Lazarus and the Rich man. You simply want people to blindly follow and believe in your assumptions of what Jesus said.
Also the scriptures show that those who die and go to Hades are sleeping in death waiting to be resurrected from the dead. You can't be resurrected from the dead if you're still conscious, meaning you're still living. Being resurrected from the dead means you are resurrected from death back to life. Lazarus and the Rich man is a parable.

Last edited:
I believe Jesus told a parable. Jesus didn't use the word soul anywhere in that parable of Lazarus and the Rich man. You simply want people to blindly follow and believe in your assumptions of what Jesus said.
Also the scriptures show that those who die and go to Hades are sleeping in death waiting to be resurrected from the dead. You can't be resurrected from the dead if you're still conscious, meaning you're still living. Being resurrected from the dead means you are resurrected from death back to life. Lazarus and the Rich man is a parable.
Don't call it soul, call it xyz. Neither Lazarus or the Rich man were "sleeping in death." Both were conscious. If you are right, the parable misinformed what death is like.

What is more likely? You are wrong.

Did you learn about "soul" from Jehovah's Witnesses, or Seventh Day Adventists? Who taught you souls can't be conscious during a resurrection?

Paul says Christians will be conscious when they are resurrected at His coming:

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed--
52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (1 Cor. 15:50-52 NKJ)

Last edited:
Tenchi said,
I think what Jesus described of the places in which Lazarus and the Rich Man found themselves after death are actual regions of the afterlife in which one will reside, depending upon one's spiritual status at death, but I've never thought "Abraham's Bosom" was actually the bosom of the man, Abraham.[/QUOTE\]

What you're speaking of here is what the Greeks believe in. They believed in a god called Hades who ruled over a place called Hades that had different regions of the afterlife which one would reside, depending upon their spiritual status at death. But this is false religion. Which means this is what demons want you to believe.

All Hades is in the scriptures is gravedom or the common grave of dead mankind where the dead, whether they be righteous or unrighteous sleep in death waiting for the resurrection of the dead. So until the resurrection of the dead who are in Hades begins they are dead, sleeping in unconsciousness.

Don't call it soul, call it xyz. Neither Lazarus or the Rich man were "sleeping in death." Both were conscious. If you are right, the parable misinformed what death is like.

What is more likely? You are wrong.

Did you learn about "soul" from Jehovah's Witnesses, or Seventh Day Adventists? Who taught you souls can't be conscious during a resurrection?

Paul says the Christians will be conscious when they are resurrected at His coming:

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed--
52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (1 Cor. 15:50-52 NKJ)
No, I believe me stating that Lazarus and the Rich man being a parable, isn't wrong, just because someone believes that I'm wrong. I understand that people have a right to disagree, but it seems to me what people want me to do is blindly follow them as to what is to be taken literally in the story of Lazarus and the Rich man and what is not to be taken literally. People have already agreed that Abrahams bosom in Lazarus and the Rich man can't be taken literally, so are you saying everything else must be taken literally simply because someone says so? like I said people have the right to disagree with me but what I'm saying is that since Abraham's bosom, isn't Abraham's literal bosom but that it represents something else then why can't other things Jesus said in the story of Lazarus and the Rich man represent something else. I'm not going take Lazarus and the Rich man literally but instead understand it represents something else, other than what is literally being said. It's a parable it isn't to be taken literally.

Last edited:
No, I believe me stating that Lazarus and the Rich man being a parable, not to be wrong, just because someone believes that I'm wrong. I understand that people have a right to disagree, but it seems to me what people want me to do is blindly follow them as to what is to be taken literally in the story of Lazarus and the Rich man and what is not to be taken literally. People have already agreed that Abrahams bosom in Lazarus and the Rich man can't be taken literally, so are you saying everything else must be taken literally simply because someone says so? like I said people have the right to disagree with me but what I'm going to believe is that since Abraham's bosom isn't to be taken literally then I don't believe nothing in the story is to be taken literally, because it's a parable. I honestly believe if a person takes everything literally they'll miss the point of what Jesus was actually teaching.
Let's move on. Souls in sheol/hades, do appear in OT scriptures, conscious. How do you understand these, they aren't parables:

Many Old Testament Scriptures speak of redemption from hell, likening their troubles to death and the depths to which they have fallen to Sheol; and God’s salvation to redemption from Sheol/Hades. If the concept of redemption of souls in Sheol/Hades wasn’t believed, why did they liken their situation to an untruth? Especially in prayer and praise to God:

To see a list of these, go here and scoll down to the red text:

You have to be conscious to implore God deliver your soul from the pangs of Sheol/Hades

1 I love the LORD, because He has heard My voice and my supplications.
2 Because He has inclined His ear to me, Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.
3 The pains of death surrounded me, And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me; I found trouble and sorrow.
4 Then I called upon the name of the LORD: “O LORD, I implore You, deliver my soul!”

5 Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; Yes, our God is merciful.
6 The LORD preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me.
7 Return to your rest, O my soul, For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
8 For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling.
9 I will walk before the LORD In the land of the living. (Ps. 116:1-9 NKJ)

19 Also Your righteousness, O God, is very high, You who have done great things; O God, who is like You?
20 You, who have shown me great and severe troubles, Shall revive me again, And bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
21 You shall increase my greatness, And comfort me on every side.
22 Also with the lute I will praise you– And Your faithfulness, O my God! To You I will sing with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
23 My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing to You, And my soul, which You have redeemed. (Ps. 71:19-23 NKJ)

Redemption from depths of the earth also describes a second chance.

12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forevermore.
13 For great is Your mercy toward me, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. (Ps. 86:12-13 NKJ)

Sheol is translated Hades in Greek:

Psalm 85:13 ὅτι τὸ ἔλεός σου μέγα ἐπ᾽ ἐμὲ καὶ ἐρρύσω τὴν ψυχήν μου ἐξ ᾅδου κατωτάτου (Ps. 85:13 BGT)
Psalm 86:13 For thy mercy is great toward me; and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. (Ps. 86:13 LXA)

Last edited:
Back