Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

HOLY SPIRIT convicts of what?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
As we give thanks on this day:

We have a hope eternal in Heaven
We live in time that will end
We have an eternal spirit contained, I suppose, in our mind / soul
We live in a physical body that will either die or be changed in a moment
Now we see through a glass darkley
We will see face to face
God is knocking at the door of folks trying to get in

Any statement can not stand alone, and any statement can or will support / conflict with other statements. Gravity and bouyancy acting at the same time are ok. Thank God the force of Bouyancy is usually by design the greater force. Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world.

eddif

Eddif! happy thanksgiving!
Then you see that all things work according to established laws?
Most can see the physical laws at work? What the Holy Spirit will teach us is the Spiritual laws, that created the physical.

One who is "spiritual" will "overcome" the natural!

All is based upon The Lawfull Righteousness of God, granted to us by faith In Christ.

Eddif! happy thanksgiving!
Then you see that all things work according to established laws?
Most can see the physical laws at work? What the Holy Spirit will teach us is the Spiritual laws, that created the physical.

One who is "spiritual" will "overcome" the natural!

All is based upon The Lawfull Righteousness of God, granted to us by faith In Christ.

Blessed is the man, in whom the Lord will not impute sin!

I tell you that Holy Spirit will make Gods Righteousness more real to you than your own failures!

No man has ever deserved Gods Righteousness! Apart from Faith In Christ, all men are sinners! But we who know Him are made Righteous by Him! Now the Holy Spirit convicts us of the great truth!
For it can not be known by the flesh, the reason Gods righteousness and the witness of The Holy Spirit is so far from some, it because they are in the flesh and are with carnal minds trying to understand the things of God.

Repent and be saved by the grace of God!

Blessed is the man, in whom the Lord will not impute sin!

I tell you that Holy Spirit will make Gods Righteousness more real to you than your own failures!

No man has ever deserved Gods Righteousness! Apart from Faith In Christ, all men are sinners! But we who know Him are made Righteous by Him! Now the Holy Spirit convicts us of the great truth!
For it can not be known by the flesh, the reason Gods righteousness and the witness of The Holy Spirit is so far from some, it because they are in the flesh and are with carnal minds trying to understand the things of God.

Repent and be saved by the grace of God!

Walk in the spirit and ye will not fulfill the lust of the flesh?
I hoped that someone might bring this to "light"
How do know when we are in the flesh?
Does the Holy Spirit of truth, show us when we have strayed from the law of the spirit of Life in Christ?

Now I think it would be a great discussion, and I really do look to learn from others, and from their walk with Christ.
What I cannot or will not hear is religious tradition that attempts to replace the truth of scripture.

It seems clear that our greatest battle is that to overcome our own flesh. I believe it is clear that God has placed us in His Righteousness, and from this place of victory we overcome our own weaknesses of the flesh.

Now I think it is also clear that satan wants to use our own flesh and weakness against us! The accuser, likes nothing more than to seperate us from the truth of who we are In Christ.

It seems that to know the work of the Holy Spirit is of the greatsest importance for those who seek to Go on and overcome this world.

Joh 16:8

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Joh 16:9

Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Joh 16:10

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

the Holy Spirit is convicting 3 different groups 1. the "world" of sin, 2. You "believers" of righteousness 3. satan of "judgement"

Now find me one scripture in All the NEW Testament where the Holy Spirit brings the "believers" sin to remembrance? NO! what you will find is everytime the Holy Spirit and His work is mentioned that it says "there sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more! Check it out!

So do you agree with my understanding? or do you find fault in my reading of the scriptures?

The scriptures declare that Christ has been made unto us righteousness! We see the Lords own words? That the Holy Spirit would convict his followers of Righteousness, Because you SEE ME no more?

The Holy Spirit is convicting us of "Christ Jesus" as our own righteousness!

Our righteousness is a person!

Isaiah 43:25 says I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember they sins.
God is saying here that He has already forgiven us of our sins for His own sake, not for our sake; this is so that He is able to bless and prosper us as He has promised.

Isaiah 43:25 says I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember they sins.
God is saying here that He has already forgiven us of our sins for His own sake, not for our sake; this is so that He is able to bless and prosper us as He has promised.

A SAVED PERSON! wow! on a "christian" forum?

Gods Grace and blessings upon those who trust in Christ!

I want to give this thread another shot? I think I can be more understanding of others long held veiws , because I do know that when the light of truth shines upon the flesh of any man, that flesh is exposed and can be brought into submission to the Spirit.

What I cannot accept is that the sense of belonging to Christ and the love He has for us, would ever be broken by the Holy Spirit. Now I know from personal experience, that when some teach the "conviction" of the Holy Spirit, they bring a sense of guilt and shame that are contrary to all sound doctrine.

HEB 11:1 Now faith is the confidence of things hoped for, the CONVICTION of things not seen.

Same word here, as used for conviction of the Holy Spirit?

This I would say, that the Holy Spirit has" made clear" to me that my flesh is always sinful! That nothing good lives in my flesh.

Now the Holy Spirit convicted me of that truth a long time ago and has I think reminded me of that truth.

Does the Spirit of Truth, show us when we get out of truth?
I think that is an honest way of looking at the work of the Holy Spirit.
But everything in me and thing I have learned, rejects what tradition, as was taught to me, says is the Holy Spirit following believers around, pointing out all their faults!

I think an honest biblical discussion, before the Holy Spirit of Truth could bring out some needed understanding, for me and others?

I will attempt to park my "spiritual bulldozer" as long as mercy and truth are given the right of way?

The word conviction in Hebrews 11:1 is often translated as evidence. There's different meanings to the word conviction depending on the context and I think that evidence is sometimes used here changes the context from what you're suggesting Mitspa (unless I've misread your post in which case I apologize)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

The word conviction in Hebrews 11:1 is often translated as evidence. There's different meanings to the word conviction depending on the context and I think that evidence is sometimes used here changes the context from what you're suggesting Mitspa (unless I've misread your post in which case I apologize)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

It is the same Greek word, my point is that we see its meaning as that of a negative, from our religious background?

If we just take the word as it is used in scripture? It has both a positive sense and a negative. I belive the word, simply means to bring some to a place where it is seen as truth? Evident!

To be "convicted" of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you SEE ME no more? That suggest a very positive conviction That Christ is yet with us!

Do you see my point?

It is the same Greek word, my point is that we see its meaning as that of a negative, from our religious background?

If we just take the word as it is used in scripture? It has both a positive sense and a negative. I belive the word, simply means to bring some to a place where it is seen as truth? Evident!

To be "convicted" of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you SEE ME no more? That suggest a very positive conviction That Christ is yet with us!

Do you see my point?

So if we allow the word "conviction" to mean what the bible discribes? It has an simple meaning, in general, to show or make evident.

So the scripture " the Holy Spirit will convict you of righteousness, because I go to the Father and you see me no more"

One could say that the Holy Spirit is making evident and showing us Christ, who is at the Right Hand of the Father?

I believe this is the gospel!

1 Cor 1:30 But of Him (God) you are in Christ Jesus. Who has been made unto us, wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption.
For as it is written HE WHO GLORIES, LET HIM GLORY IN THE LORD.

so then to be "convicted" is to be shown as evident, that Christ Has been made unto us these things.

This I the Holy Spirits work toward the believer!

So if we allow the word "conviction" to mean what the bible discribes? It has an simple meaning, in general, to show or make evident.

So the scripture " the Holy Spirit will convict you of righteousness, because I go to the Father and you see me no more"

One could say that the Holy Spirit is making evident and showing us Christ, who is at the Right Hand of the Father?

I believe this is the gospel!

1 Cor 1:30 But of Him (God) you are in Christ Jesus. Who has been made unto us, wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption.
For as it is written HE WHO GLORIES, LET HIM GLORY IN THE LORD.

so then to be "convicted" is to be shown as evident, that Christ Has been made unto us these things.

This I the Holy Spirits work toward the believer!

Does a justified believer need to be shown over and over the sin in their flesh? Or do they need to be shown over and over the righteousness of God in their spirit?

The only answer to the flesh is to walk in the spirit!

So is God making us aware of who we are in the flesh or is He making us aware of who we are in Christ by the spirit?

To walk in the light is to walk in the truth of who we are in the spirit. And the light will always overcome the darkness of the flesh.

What about those who will not walk in the light of the spirit?
These are disobedient children, for which God has a rod of correction.

All correction is to bring us into the light! It is not to put us back into bondage again to the law of carnal commandments!

For just shall live by faith, not works of law!

Faith believes and trust in the spirit and in Christ, not in mans ability to keep the law of moses!

So then does God show us when we are trusting in the flesh?
I believe He does!

He sends folks like me to warn and declare the truth! His Word is sharper than any twoedged sword, and His ministers are flames of fire!

Baptised by the fire of the Holy Spirit.

Do not be deceived no flesh will glory before God!

Joh 16:8

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Joh 16:9

Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

the Holy Spirit is convicting 3 different groups 1. the "world" of sin, 2. You "believers" of righteousness 3. satan of "judgement"

Now find me one scripture in All the NEW Testament where the Holy Spirit brings the "believers" sin to remembrance? NO! what you will find is everytime the Holy Spirit and His work is mentioned that it says "there sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more! Check it out!

The very name "satan" comes from the Hebrew and means "the accuser"

The gospel is well described by Isa. YOU SHALL BE ESTABLISHED IN RIGHTEOUSNESS AND GREAT SHALL YOUR PEACE THEREIN.

the Holy Spirit is not bringing a "believers" sin to there rememberance but is convicting them of righteousness.

It is satan "the accuser of the bretheren" that is pointing out all your faults. It is satan that uses the law of moses to bring charges of sin against those who are justified by faith in Christ.

Look to the scriptures and not to traditions of men, and like the "young men" of 1 John, who are strong in the Word of God. Overcome the evil one with the truth.

Mitspa
I wonder if you would mind me turning your thread statement inside out, upside down, and backwards?

I have tried for the longest to see what I consider to be the right way to see the passage. I do not want to argue, and it will take us several posts each to get through it all. I can always be wrong, but I would like to do this on your thread, but your friendship is important to me. We can do it by PMs.

What do you think? Would you like a few questions as hints before I start? I have an idea you can figure it out, but I can always just stop posting.

eddif

Mitspa
I wonder if you would mind me turning your thread statement inside out, upside down, and backwards?

I have tried for the longest to see what I consider to be the right way to see the passage. I do not want to argue, and it will take us several posts each to get through it all. I can always be wrong, but I would like to do this on your thread, but your friendship is important to me. We can do it by PMs.

What do you think? Would you like a few questions as hints before I start? I have an idea you can figure it out, but I can always just stop posting.

eddif

Feel at liberty to challenge how I understand the work of the Holy Spirit and how He deals with a believers errors. I always learn when an honest discussion of the scriptures takes place. I will even admit that I do not have a full understanding of how the Holy Spirit brings correction and am willing to look at how others see the issue.

Feel at liberty to challenge how I understand the work of the Holy Spirit and how He deals with a believers errors. I always learn when an honest discussion of the scriptures takes place. I will even admit that I do not have a full understanding of how the Holy Spirit brings correction and am willing to look at how others see the issue.

If I do not do this in love it is not going to be worth anything.

John 3:17
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Did Jesus convict folks of sin? (And explain what was the ultimate sin)
Did Jesus tell what would save from that sin?
Did Jesus defeat Satan?

When I was a lost total sinner....did I need someone to convince me of my sin condition?
Did someone need to convince me of a savior?
Did I need someone to convince me sin no longer had dominion over me?

Now that I have become a disciple does John 16:8-11 become the method of helping another lost person find eternal life?
Do I need, by the power of the Holy Ghost, convince sinners of sin? (no Jesus)
Do I need to convince repenters of a Savior (Jesus)?
Do I need to convince them that the power of sin is broken? (do I not need to continually remind myself?).

Could the John passage apply to sinners to bring about salvation? Could the John passage become a teaching guideline to see that all the bases are covered? Does the Great Comission parallel the John passage? Is the power for getting the work done come from Holy Spirit? By a word of knowledge could sin be revealed? By a word of wisdom could instructions be provided? (maybe privately).

Loaded a feller up with questions. LOL. I hope the questions start us in a good direction.

Pour it to me.... I need a tune up. I hope we benefit from this.

eddif

You know I hope this will all work out very easily. A sock can still be a sock if it is wrongside out. A belt is still a belt even if it skips a loop, is started in from the other side, or the buckle needs to be turned over. Most of what I am talking about is not serious at all.

Since I noticed a pause, I am posting this. There is not going to be this huge problem. We are just adjusting a few things.

eddif

Satan evidently never sees his sins and repents. He will never take advantage of the John passage and have his name written in the Lamb's book of life. The devil's end is to be in torment for eternity (with those who can be made to fear him). Nothing will ever convince him IMHO.

Someone in the world may see their sins, understand their salvation is in Jesus, and see that the Devil is defeated by Jesus life, suffering, death and being raised to the right hand of God the Father almighty to intercede that they can be kept. I was in sin when the process started with me.

eddif

If I do not do this in love it is not going to be worth anything.

John 3:17
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Did Jesus convict folks of sin? (And explain what was the ultimate sin)
Did Jesus tell what would save from that sin?
Did Jesus defeat Satan?

When I was a lost total sinner....did I need someone to convince me of my sin condition?
Did someone need to convince me of a savior?
Did I need someone to convince me sin no longer had dominion over me?

Now that I have become a disciple does John 16:8-11 become the method of helping another lost person find eternal life?
Do I need, by the power of the Holy Ghost, convince sinners of sin? (no Jesus)
Do I need to convince repenters of a Savior (Jesus)?
Do I need to convince them that the power of sin is broken? (do I not need to continually remind myself?).

Could the John passage apply to sinners to bring about salvation? Could the John passage become a teaching guideline to see that all the bases are covered? Does the Great Comission parallel the John passage? Is the power for getting the work done come from Holy Spirit? By a word of knowledge could sin be revealed? By a word of wisdom could instructions be provided? (maybe privately).

Loaded a feller up with questions. LOL. I hope the questions start us in a good direction.

Pour it to me.... I need a tune up. I hope we benefit from this.

eddif

I work during the day so dont think I was tardy in my reply?
First my points in this thread have all been related to those who have received Christ and have the Holy Spirit. My focus was not upon the conviction of the world of sin. For this I do agree and have trusted in this work as I have ministered. Now when we look in the epistles and see the work of the Holy Spirit towards those who are justified in Christ, we do not see what many preach and teach, but something very different.

So maybe you could bring your debate into the justified condition of the believer? Maybe then we could get to some of your concerns?

Galatians 6:1
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted

Restoration IMHO tells me he was saved and has fallen away.

Philippians 1:6
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

If the Holy Spirit begins working in folks of the world by the John passage, why would he stop working in us? Would the Holy Ghost not convict me of sin. The Holy spirit can work internally or externally to bring about the completetion of salvation in my life.

I Corinthians 5:5
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus

Well how did he get in that condition?
I Peter 5:8
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Paul said
Romans 7:25
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

So although the Holy Spirit and Jesus are at work in our mind, Satan at the same time is at work to convince folks the word of God is not true. The greater one works in us, but Satan will try and convince you of a lie.

Gravity .....Law of sin and death--------Tries to sink the ship----send us to hell
Buoyancy..Law of redemption .---Tries to push the boat up------Take us to heaven

If I buy a lie....In the name of Jesus rebuke, throw me out of the church, turn me over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, do whatever it takes.

eddif

Gal. 6:1 - "a fault" - this fault could be that he is a backbiter (gossiper) "restore" = katartizo GK - to mend, fix, perfect
I hardly think this Scripture talking about someone has lost their salvation.

The Holy Spirit is at work in our spirit. With our mind we choose to walk in the Spirit, by grace through faith (I believe this scripture is not just relevant to salvation) or to walk in the flesh. We renew our minds by the Word of God to come into agreement wiith the Spirit.

grace - unmerited favor faith - conviction of the Truth

Mitspa is very good at the Truth about the condition of the believer.
Are you a saint or a sinner? Can't be both, that's a house divided. You'll be tossed to and fro.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back