Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

HOLY SPIRIT convicts of what?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
When I first received this scripture teaching I found it hard. But then I asked why would the Holy Spirit need to convict a believer of sin when we believe who Jesus is and God has written His law on our hearts and minds? Well He wouldn't, we already know.

Jesus is the perfect image of righteousness but because we can't see Him in the flesh to remind us of what righteousness looks like and how righteousness behaves, He left the Holy Spirit inside us to remind us what righteousness looks like and acts.

Jesus only convicted of sin those who were self-righteous, like the Pharisees. But to sinners He gave Himself. He gave gifts of love, peace, joy, instruction in righteousness, and then "go and sin no more", walk in righteousness.

IMO, this would be examples of the Holy Spirit convicting of righteousness.
1) There's a person who has hurt you, the Holy Spirit leads you to pray for this person. As you do they are blessed and so are you, you are lead into a place of forgivness and repentance. Your soul prospers in righteousness. Jesus is glorified.
2) There's a person you don't like and the Holy Spirit leads you to do something nice for that person. They are blessed so are you. Jesus is glorified.
3) You get a thought that it would be good to donate to a particular christian organization, say the Blue Letter Bible. The old man would never have done that, not in his nature to do that. The Holy Spirit guiding our new nature that is in Christ has this kind of thought. They are blessed, you are blessed. Jesus in glorified.
4) You are reading God's Word and you think you understand or are just glossing over a particular scripture. The Holy Spirit leads you to read it again and leads you to a new understanding. He is leading you in/to righteousness.
5) You hear a teaching that you have been taught and the Holy Spirit (not your mind) rises up with a firm, NO and you are lead to God's Word to find the truth. This is the Holy Spirit convicting (teaching in righteousness).

One could go on and on with examples of the Holy Spirit convicting of righteousness. If a thought or action is good it came from God not from us. He leads us in renewing our old mind to conform to His, by teaching us righteousness.

Have a wonderful blessed day, in Christ Jesus.

One of the first 'lessons' of Paul in Romans is the fact of sin. It's presence, it's factual workings and the fact of same in all, proven so by the Law beyond any reasonable dispute.

From there we all engage in various forms of avoidance of same, rightfully so. None who are in Him seeks enslavement to that working.

So, the natural logic that we all engage in is, if I do X, if I believe X, then I'm all good and safe.

The truthful conviction of the Holy Spirit is that we have sin. There inevitably lands TWO reactions to this matter of fact. Acceptance of the fact or denial of the fact.

So, there are in fact TWO reader responses to the fact. Here for example is a fact laid out by Paul:

Romans 3:19
Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

One reader (almost everyone) will say, almost instantly and predictably, "I am not under the Law" for whatever reasons or justifications to avoid the factual conclusions.

Another will say, I have a mouth and I am in the world....therefore.

The 'latter' is a true 'woman' in the Spiritual sense of the church. She learns to keep her mouth shut via the Ever True and Truthful Words of our Husband on this particular matter, knowing the matter as a matter of fact.

Paul exemplified his truthful reflections on this matter, personally applied.

Justification by faith comes via the avenue of factual conviction and guilt.

31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid

Every reader who dodges the conclusion of the law is a wayward woman in the spiritual sense.

Gal. 4:
4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

Every woman joined to our Husband will pass under the Authority of The Law, the Word of our Husband, and find their mouth shut and guilty in this matter.

Psalm 119:75
I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me.

And such a woman will find His Mercy.

Proverbs 20:6
Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?

Proverbs 14:5
A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.

1 John 1:8
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

s

Psalm 23

King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake
yes he does but he is also the spirit of truth. he shows us the truth when we are wrong. of course this will be removed probably. if he convicts us of righteousness . then he convicts us when we sin thus we get back on the path of righteousness he leads us on.

When I first received this scripture teaching I found it hard. But then I asked why would the Holy Spirit need to convict a believer of sin when we believe who Jesus is and God has written His law on our hearts and minds? Well He wouldn't, we already know.

Jesus is the perfect image of righteousness but because we can't see Him in the flesh to remind us of what righteousness looks like and how righteousness behaves, He left the Holy Spirit inside us to remind us what righteousness looks like and acts.

Jesus only convicted of sin those who were self-righteous, like the Pharisees. But to sinners He gave Himself. He gave gifts of love, peace, joy, instruction in righteousness, and then "go and sin no more", walk in righteousness.

IMO, this would be examples of the Holy Spirit convicting of righteousness.
1) There's a person who has hurt you, the Holy Spirit leads you to pray for this person. As you do they are blessed and so are you, you are lead into a place of forgivness and repentance. Your soul prospers in righteousness. Jesus is glorified.
2) There's a person you don't like and the Holy Spirit leads you to do something nice for that person. They are blessed so are you. Jesus is glorified.
3) You get a thought that it would be good to donate to a particular christian organization, say the Blue Letter Bible. The old man would never have done that, not in his nature to do that. The Holy Spirit guiding our new nature that is in Christ has this kind of thought. They are blessed, you are blessed. Jesus in glorified.
4) You are reading God's Word and you think you understand or are just glossing over a particular scripture. The Holy Spirit leads you to read it again and leads you to a new understanding. He is leading you in/to righteousness.
5) You hear a teaching that you have been taught and the Holy Spirit (not your mind) rises up with a firm, NO and you are lead to God's Word to find the truth. This is the Holy Spirit convicting (teaching in righteousness).

One could go on and on with examples of the Holy Spirit convicting of righteousness. If a thought or action is good it came from God not from us. He leads us in renewing our old mind to conform to His, by teaching us righteousness.

Have a wonderful blessed day, in Christ Jesus.

I agree Deb13! I know we have all been taught that its the Holy Spirit showing us our sin. But its just not scripture, and it makes no sense when one knows the truth of the gospel. "In spirit" we are righteous, the Holy Spirit is teaching us to walk by the spirit.

Now I have made many points on this thread BY SCRIPTURE.
I also stated that I believe the Holy Spirit does remind us to walk as we should. I believe you have descibed it very well. I am open to a discussion about what it means to be convicted of rightoeusness, but I reject all teaching that goes against clear scripture. God Bless and thanks for hearing me out- Mitspa:wave

yes he does but he is also the spirit of truth. he shows us the truth when we are wrong. of course this will be removed probably. if he convicts us of righteousness . then he convicts us when we sin thus we get back on the path of righteousness he leads us on.

ezra, do you always seek to keep a clear conscience before the Lord?
When you blow it, you know it! dont you? The word of God is the judge of the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

satan and this world are busy all day, every day, attempting to seperate us from Christ and His Love for us. I think we need the Holy Spirit to convict us of righteousness or none of us would make it!

ezra, do you always seek to keep a clear conscience before the Lord?
When you blow it, you know it! dont you? The word of God is the judge of the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

satan and this world are busy all day, every day, attempting to seperate us from Christ and His Love for us. I think we need the Holy Spirit to convict us of righteousness or none of us would make it!

i trued simple logical explanations .. they was rejected even some deleted. you can believe how you want i will believe how i want...
2 Corinthians 7:10
New International Version (NIV)
10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. i am secure in my salvation even when i am convicted of wrong:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes

i trued simple logical explanations .. they was rejected even some deleted. you can believe how you want i will believe how i want...
2 Corinthians 7:10
New International Version (NIV)
10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. i am secure in my salvation even when i am convicted of wrong:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes

Fine ezra, I have tried scripture and to reason to your own heart. I am against sin! The only biblical way to overcome sin is to walk in Gods Spirit and His Righteousness!
All else is false teaching!

Fine ezra, I have tried scripture and to reason to your own heart. I am against sin! The only biblical way to overcome sin is to walk in Gods Spirit and His Righteousness!
All else is false teaching!

sure is, what happens when WE FAIL to walk in the Spirit? what makes you thing i am for sin?

sure is, what happens when WE FAIL to walk in the Spirit? what makes you thing i am for sin?

No one has said or implied anything about you. We are "trying" to discuss the Holy Spirit, according to scripture, and His Power over our sin.

Psalm 23

King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Deborah13:

The thread seems to be going in various directions; but I do think that the 23rd is a wonderful Psalm :) (and not just for funerals).

Blessings.

1Jn 5:7 (ISV)

For there are three witnesses-

1Jn 5:8

the Spirit, the water, and the blood-and these three are one.
1Jn 5:9

If we accept human testimony, God's testimony is greater, because it is the testimony of God and because he has testified about his Son.
1Jn 5:10

The person who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in himself. The person who does not believe God has made him a liar by not believing the testimony that God has given about his Son.
1Jn 5:11

This is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is found in his Son.

1Jn 5:8 (kjv)

And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

How can we be clean by His Blood and the Holy Spirit witness against the Blood?

NO! the Holy Spirit convicts the believer of righteousness!

1Jn 5:7 (ISV)

For there are three witnesses-
1Jn 5:8

the Spirit, the water, and the blood-and these three are one.
1Jn 5:9

If we accept human testimony, God's testimony is greater, because it is the testimony of God and because he has testified about his Son.
1Jn 5:10

The person who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in himself. The person who does not believe God has made him a liar by not believing the testimony that God has given about his Son.
1Jn 5:11

This is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is found in his Son.

1Jn 5:8 (kjv)

And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

How can we be clean by His Blood and the Holy Spirit witness against the Blood?

NO! the Holy Spirit convicts the believer of righteousness!
Heb 10:2

For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

Those that worship God, must worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

No one can walk in the Spirit with a "sin conscience" therefore the Holy spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are righteous, beloved sons of God.

Now our conscience is not that of a "sinner" but we are beholding "Christ" in our conscience. This is a "pure conscience", when we stray from "His Image" our own conscience will become defiled, and our fellowship with Him will be hindered, if not broken.

Thus, those who seek to be justified by law, have been cutoff from Christ. They fall from the Throne of grace into self-effort.

To use the Holy Spirit as another form of "sin-conscience" is to defile what Christ Blood has made clean and to cut-off Gods people from Christ and His Grace!

What an evil doctrine, satan has brought into the "church"

To use the Holy Spirit as another form of "sin-conscience" is to defile what Christ Blood has made clean and to cut-off Gods people from Christ and His Grace!

What an evil doctrine, satan has brought into the "church"
i really dont mind your belief as i have met others who hold it the same way. but to say {To use the Holy Spirit as another form of "sin-conscience" is to defile what Christ Blood has made clean and to cut-off Gods people from Christ and His Grace!

What an evil doctrine, satan has brought into the "church"} is completely out of context and wrong. i can show you numerous amounts of Christians that believes in the Conviction of the Holy Spirit . these are people who have read and studied for about same amount years as i am in age. this comment reminds me of Calvinism forum i was in. they called free will Hersey . your getting a bit far off.

i really dont mind your belief as i have met others who hold it the same way. but to say {To use the Holy Spirit as another form of "sin-conscience" is to defile what Christ Blood has made clean and to cut-off Gods people from Christ and His Grace!

What an evil doctrine, satan has brought into the "church"} is completely out of context and wrong. i can show you numerous amounts of Christians that believes in the Conviction of the Holy Spirit . these are people who have read and studied for about same amount years as i am in age. this comment reminds me of Calvinism forum i was in. they called free will Hersey . your getting a bit far off.

I think it quite odd that the Holy Spirit would lie and say we are sinless. What kind of spirit can't and wouldn't tell the truth? Surely not the Spirit of Truth.

s

2Co 10:12

For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
I accuse no one but satan.The church is in the position its in because it does not walk in agreement with The Holy Spirit, and Gods Word!Now this is clearly false teaching and should be renounced in every church, in every service for 50 years if thats what is needed to restore the truth.I will not be moved by tradition or ole brother so and so, believes, such an such. I am moved by the Truth, "Thy Word Is Truth"

I have made clear biblical points. None have been challenged in any way.
I love old brother so and so, but I love God, His Word, and The Holy Spirit more than any mans tradition.

Rom 8:10

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Rom 8:14

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Rom 8:15

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Rom 8:16

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

The Spirit is Life, because of Righteousness, and is a witness that we are indeed children of God

How satan has deceived the "church" into thinking the Holy Spirit is "convicting" the "believer" of sin?

How could anyone walk in the "Spirit" and think this false doctrine is true? You cannot!

To say the Holy Spirit bears witness against the Blood of Christ, is a great sin!
This teaching is not of God!

Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back