Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How exactly is Divorce without cause and remarriage NOT ADULTERY?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Marriage should never be entered into lightly as when it is the commitment usually falls by the wayside.
True, but statistically about half are. I have another question related to something I think you posted earlier. Can a non-believer be married in the presence of God and therefore is such a marriage a binding marriage in the eyes of God just as it is between believers? I'm not asking for opinion here. I'm seeking Scriptural support.

To this I can agree with. While the rest I still question about abuse as in my case I tried for two years while still being with him for him to get help, but he refused so was I suppose to stay and be miserable hiding the black and blue marks, leave and still be miserable, or after leaving when all else failed divorce and then be happy again.
Where did I ever say or write that one must remain living in an abusive situation? One can be married and live separately. People seem to like to twist what I am writing to suggest that I promote living in an abusive situation and that is absolutely false. I hope I've made this clear.

Sometimes I just wonder about inspired in some cases.
How about that maybe Paul spoke to the other Apostles (he was an Apostle of honor)
and they told him more things that Jesus said than is written down.

Anything as important as explaining to persons what God would want in a situation such as marriage MUST be a little more than inspired...

Inspired is one thing...
Issuing commands is quite something different.

My two cents.
Either it's all inspired or we can't know if any of it is. There is nothing greater regarding Scripture than if it is all inspired, so I don't understand what you mean by most of this post.

thanks i understand now...

I vowed to God the better or worse speech... that is between me and God... My vow still stands..

I would have only wished I could have, but in my heart I know it was God that made a way for me to literally escape.

Can a non-believer be married in the presence of God and therefore is such a marriage a binding marriage in the eyes of God just as it is between believers? I'm not asking for opinion here. I'm seeking Scriptural support.

Therefore what God has joined together, man must not separate.”
Mark 10:9 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Mark 10:9&version=LEB

Does this ⬆️ teaching of Jesus teach anything whatsoever about what the State of California (or what an unbeliever or two or three, ... etc.) has joined together??? No!

And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”
Mark 10:11-12 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Mark 10:11-12&version=LEB

Therefore, does this ⬆️ additional teaching say anything whatsoever about what the States or anyone else (other than God) have joined together??? No!

Yes.
Jesus said that regulation was given because of the hardness of their hearts but it was not God's will.
Mat 5:31-32 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writ of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced commits adultery.

Jesus sets a higher standard.

Mat 19:7-9 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”
He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

So Jesus gave adultery as the only cause for divorce.
BUT: remember that Jesus was speaking to Jews who only married Jews. Marriage between Jews and Gentiles (unbelievers) was forbidden.
THEREFORE: when Paul, speaking to Gentile believers, says it is allowable to let an unbelieving spouse leave and not being bound to him/her, he is speaking to a situation that did not occur (or wasn't supposed to) among Jews.

iakov the fool

First off I left him and filed for divorce four years later on the grounds of his adultery and hostility towards me. There would be no reconciliation on his part as even though I prayed and begged him to get help with the alcohol and drugs, which he hid from me before we married, it only got worse and the beatings more frequent. Does anyone think God approved of this marriage as I don't think He did especially when He made a way for me to escape it. Do you think God wanted me to stay lonely and unhappy the rest of my life forbidding me to remarry, I don't think so as He is the one who brought me and my husband together after ten years of being alone and in all places it was the Church we both attended.

God is very vocal about divorce and adultery, but yet silent on abuse in a marriage so no one can actually say what God would say about divorcing your abuser and marrying someone else. I'm not justifying, but only saying who knows what God says about this matter of abuse and divorce other than the one who brings it before Him and receives an answer from Him.

God is very vocal about divorce and adultery, but yet silent on abuse in a marriage so no one can actually say what God would say about divorcing your abuser and marrying someone else. I'm not justifying, but only saying who knows what God says about this matter of abuse and divorce other than the one who brings it before Him and receives an answer from Him.
Not trying to pick but maybe He does say things such as Matthew 5:38-39 NKJV.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." The other cheek could be our backside?

Do you think God wanted me to stay lonely and unhappy the rest of my life forbidding me to remarry,
Jesus did say that we will face trials and tribulations. We are to hold fast, run the good race, don't worry about tomorrow, keep a stiff upper lip as it were for His grace is sufficient.

True that. The downside is that people don't seem to develop a sense of honor towards their marriage until down the road quite a bit, if even then. So they stumble along blind to the fact that they're doing it wrong. I suppose I should count myself lucky, as I developed a sense of honor when I was fairly young. I credit my dad with that but tales of Knights and Princesses in books probably helped me to learn those concepts too, lol.. So by the time I eventually made a girl pregnant for the first time, I knew it would be dishonor to not rise to the occasion. Plus I heard how everyone talks about deadbeat dads and stuff, those labels last a long time. I did not want to be that guy. All a man has is his word. And to not dishonor his Wife. She is the weaker vessel and is to be loved, cared for and exalted and honored as such. So I accidentally (Lol) did the right thing when I was young and hovered over her. But when you try to speak about concepts of honor to young people nowadays, it's like they think it's a joke or something. They have no clue of the concept.

Why wont the CIA put honor on the curriculum in the school textbooks? They print them all. Ohh...that's right, spiritual war is almost a conspiracy theory now too, huh so I'll stop there, lol...(It has to be up to the parents to teach the children honor & ethics.) Kids words are all emulated of the father and mother. All the way from ma-ma, Pa-pa to...mature individual and beyond. They listen. So also, we should listen to our Lord and emulate Him having become as children...Lol! Wow, all the striking similarities and parallels there too, huh?!

I think the entire earth is totally set up as a shadow of heaven. What is mankind to do? Be fruitful and multiply. Enter into the marriage covenant and produce fruit unto God for His day of harvest which shall come, and honor it and Him until He does come. All in the midst of a wave of deception and regulations, joy. But! So it is in the Kingdom of Heaven. You bet there's a court there. Scripture speaks of it a lot, there's a throne, the judgement seat and all that. A covenant is sort of a contract. It's being willing to complete something with honor and being willing to play by the rules. Our best deeds on this planet honor the family unit. Sometimes they call it walking in love.

The coffee's good this morning!

There's an old saying that goes "play the hand you are given, but watch for the pistol under the table". I entered my first marriage with the anticipation of being a faithful wife and my husband being faithful to me. Gods will for woman was to be a helpmate to the man in every way, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, socially and physically and the man is to be the Spiritual head of the house. I always kept my part of Gods will, but neither of my two husbands never did as both were unfaithful to me in the adultery department with the second one not only committing adultery, but also physical abuse as his gun (not a literal gun, but his hands) was not only locked and loaded, but also fired.

I do not take marriage as something to just throw away when things get tough, but something to work through when the tough times come along. God knew my cries of despair and how I tried to make them work out, but to no avail on their part would they even give an inch. Praise the Lord I now have a Christ centered marriage. It's not always perfect, but at least we love each other and always tell each other that everyday for the last twenty years. We always talk things through and never go to bed angry.

Yes the coffee is good this morning :coffee and my eyes are so much clearer.

Easy answer. There is no such thing as divorce without cause.

True, but statistically about half are. I have another question related to something I think you posted earlier. Can a non-believer be married in the presence of God and therefore is such a marriage a binding marriage in the eyes of God just as it is between believers? I'm not asking for opinion here. I'm seeking Scriptural support.

I would have to say yes according to Genesis 2:18-25. It was God that instituted the bond of marriage before there were Jew or Gentile. Before sin entered into the heats of man as their hearts were soon hardened.even though they are Gods creation they still chose to walk away from Him. Jews were under the laws of Moses until Christ came to fulfill certain parts of the laws, but yet the moral laws still stand to day as marriage is part of the moral laws that all are to abide by whether a believer in Christ or not a believer in Christ.

Where did I ever say or write that one must remain living in an abusive situation? One can be married and live separately. People seem to like to twist what I am writing to suggest that I promote living in an abusive situation and that is absolutely false. I hope I've made this clear.

Where did I say you ever did?

Not trying to pick but maybe He does say things such as Matthew 5:38-39 NKJV.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." The other cheek could be our backside?

That may be reaching somewhat as I believe this is talking about retaliation that we need to resist or stoop to the level of our attacker and fight back.

Jesus did say that we will face trials and tribulations. We are to hold fast, run the good race, don't worry about tomorrow, keep a stiff upper lip as it were for His grace is sufficient.

Yes He said that and if I would have stayed I probably would not have had a tomorrow and no one who has been in an abusive marriage could ever be made to endure it day in and day out or as you said "keep a stiff lip". God never created anyone to be a punching bag.

Yes He said that and if I would have stayed I probably would not have had a tomorrow and no one who has been in an abusive marriage could ever be made to endure it day in and day out or as you said "keep a stiff lip". God never created anyone to be a punching bag.
And yet some are. Paul, Peter, Stephan, John, and even Jesus were all punching bags. From my human perspective, I wouldn't consider Jesus' life to be a happy one. But He was content with the life He had. Paul also tells us the importance of learning to be content with life's situations. (Ephesians 4:11-13)

Edit: Just so you know, please don't misinterpret what I write to think that I am somehow justifying what you have endured. Nobody should have to endure anything like that and getting out was the right thing to do. Just trying to reconcile the Scriptures to find the truth as defined by Scripture and not my own understanding.

There's an old saying that goes "play the hand you are given, but watch for the pistol under the table". I entered my first marriage with the anticipation of being a faithful wife and my husband being faithful to me. Gods will for woman was to be a helpmate to the man in every way, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, socially and physically and the man is to be the Spiritual head of the house. I always kept my part of Gods will, but neither of my two husbands never did as both were unfaithful to me in the adultery department with the second one not only committing adultery, but also physical abuse as his gun (not a literal gun, but his hands) was not only locked and loaded, but also fired.

I do not take marriage as something to just throw away when things get tough, but something to work through when the tough times come along. God knew my cries of despair and how I tried to make them work out, but to no avail on their part would they even give an inch. Praise the Lord I now have a Christ centered marriage. It's not always perfect, but at least we love each other and always tell each other that everyday for the last twenty years. We always talk things through and never go to bed angry.

Yes the coffee is good this morning :coffee and my eyes are so much clearer.
I understand the part about how much it hurts to get divorced, I had three wives and the last two made 9 years each before they threw me out of my house, the first one lasted for six days before she took her already born little girl and vacated the apartment we rented. To the day she passed over she would not discuss it.

My wife now was a gift from the LORD and was also damaged goods but we are beyond the twenty-sixth year and love our God and one another.

And yet some are. Paul, Peter, Stephan, John, and even Jesus were all punching bags. From my human perspective, I wouldn't consider Jesus' life to be a happy one. But He was content with the life He had. Paul also tells us the importance of learning to be content with life's situations. (Ephesians 4:11-13)

Edit: Just so you know, please don't misinterpret what I write to think that I am somehow justifying what you have endured. Nobody should have to endure anything like that and getting out was the right thing to do. Just trying to reconcile the Scriptures to find the truth as defined by Scripture and not my own understanding.

Dying a martyr is a different situation as they died an honorable death even though it was at the hands of others. Before I filed for divorce the second time I searched the scriptures and even still today there are none about divorcing one who has abused you and getting married again. If anyone knows of any please share them as I am at a lost of finding any.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back