Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How exactly is Divorce without cause and remarriage NOT ADULTERY?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The "marriage rules" laid out in Scripture are not equal by today's standards ... Big deal they are God's rules they are better then equal

Does our personal happiness define God's Word.?
Our son is happier with his second marriage that does not make it right ..
I am also happy he is happy as i am for you for_his_glory again that does not make it right before God..
There are not Scripture showing God going against His Word.

The relationship of God and Israel was often compared to husband and wife, as with the relationship of Christ and the Church..,
Marriage is important.. It goes beyond the laws of the land..

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
According to the world G 3:16 is some sort of attack on women... the so called equal junk... is being used to destroy the family.. That is not God's way....

Engaging in another relationship while separated would be committing adultery and at that time, the spouse would have legitimate grounds for divorce.

To this I can agree with. While the rest I still question about abuse as in my case I tried for two years while still being with him for him to get help, but he refused so was I suppose to stay and be miserable hiding the black and blue marks, leave and still be miserable, or after leaving when all else failed divorce and then be happy again.

1Co_7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I read this to be freedom.. free from the unfaithful spouse as in free to remarry ...
that is just my opinion

I'm not trying to read anything into this verse or twisting it, but consider this. Where it says the unbelieving depart I can also see this as they already departed from the vows of marriage, but never departed from belief in God as they were never a believer to begin with. I also see this as being unequally yoked that would free the believer to be able to remarry again. What do all of you think?

Even after victims are physically safe and bodily wounds have healed, emotional and psychological scars run deep. Domestic violence can have severe spiritual implications as well. Victims may distrust God. Why would He allow such a thing to happen? Is He trustworthy? Does He really love me? Where was He when I was being abused? Walking through the healing process takes time. The emotional reaction to the situation must come. It is appropriate to express anger over the abuse. If we do not acknowledge the severity of the situation—the anger, the confusion, the hurt, the shame, etc.—we cannot heal from it. Too often, victims are prematurely hurried into forgiveness. Ultimately, forgiveness is the thing that will set a victim free. But true forgiveness cannot be extended if the scars of the abuse are not first acknowledged and dealt with. Victims of domestic violence will likely need the support of a well-trained Christian counselor to journey with them through the healing process.

This is exactly what I went through almost word for word. The emotional scars stay with you forever, but through Christ you learn to deal with the emotions and then comes total forgiveness.

I'm not trying to read anything into this verse or twisting it, but consider this. Where it says the unbelieving depart I can also see this as they already departed from the vows of marriage, but never departed from belief in God as they were never a believer to begin with. I also see this as being unequally yoked that would free the believer to be able to remarry again. What do all of you think?
1Co 7:12-15 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.

So a believing spouse is not bound to an unbelieving spouse who departs.
That sounds like her/she may marry again but to a believer.

iakov the fool

How do we know? Easy! The moment a man or woman in a marriage strikes their spouse.
The Biblical commands for a healthy marriage is one that is anointed by God. God didn't ordain spousal abuse. The moment a spouse abuses their spouse through physical violence against them, that abuser has proven they are an unbeliever in God's commands concerning the treatment of their spouse.

And to anyone who may be reading this and happened on this thread title through a search engine, if you are in a battered spouse marriage, and you're being beaten, GET OUT!
There isn't a scripture one in the Bible that tells you, thou shalt submit to being a spouses punching bag no matter what.
GET OUT! Call police. Press charges! And don't back down. Press charges! That arrest, conviction, time served, will be on that batterers permanent record forever! And now days men and women considering someone for a serious next step in their relationship, marriage, are often found doing background checks on that perspective future spouse. You could save someone else from what you suffered. Because that arrest for spousal abuse will show up on that check. If you make a complaint and then don't follow through, you drop the complaint, that looks bad on you. It makes it appear as if you weren't serious about holding your batterer accountable. And that can bite you later if you stay, are abused, call police and then want to press charges. Defense attorneys for a batterer will take all of those police records of complaint, or dropping of a complaint, and run with it. Just to get their client off.

Don't let it happen with you. If he or she is weak enough to think they have a right to beat you, be strong enough to hold them accountable all the way.
And pity anyone that tries to tell you even if you do leave a spouse that beats you that you are not able to remarry as long as they remain alive. Because that's just one more abuse that batterer will afford you from a distance. Holding you hostage to that marriage license that meant not one thing , not even in the covenant of God's ideal marriage, the moment your husband/wife beat you the first time.
GET OUT! Even if you're dating and someone hits you. Because if they'll beat you when you're dating, do you think it will get any better when you marry? Beating you is an act of control. The will to break your spirit. And make you submissive to their will through threat of their violent temper.

God knows you're worth more than that. And to the winds with anyone who tells you different.

Sometimes it's not so easy to get out as it took me two years as I had no money, no car, no friends and no where safe to go. It took God to get me out of there for He alone knew how hard I tried to make the marriage work out.

1Co 7:12-15 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.

So a believing spouse is not bound to an unbelieving spouse who departs.
That sounds like her/she may marry again but to a believer.

iakov the fool

1 Corinthians 7:10, 11 Jesus commands the woman not to leave her husband and if she does she should remain unmarried or be reconciled back to her husband, but in Malachi 2:10-16 the treachery that man commits against a woman which leads him to have an affair outside of the marriage or abuses the wife whether it be physical or emotional gives place to what was said by Moses in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that if a woman is no longer pleasing to her husband then the husband should give his wife a written bill of divorcement and send her out of the house and this gives the woman the right to marry again, but she can never go back to her former husband if that marriage does not work out or her husband dies for now she is defiled to be with her first husband and this is an abomination to God.

In some marriages people do not enter into a relationship with Christ being the center of it, but maybe one of them come to know the Lord and the other one refuses to have that personal relationship with Christ then we go back to what 1 Corinthians 7:12-16 says. If the unbelieving partner leaves the believing partner then this frees the believing partner from the bondage of the vows of marriage and they are free to marry again.

rephrase this please :) ya lost me

I am also happy he is happy as i am for you for_his_glory again that does not make it right before God..

No, our personal happiness does not define Gods word, but scripture is also silent about spousal abuse as far as divorcing and remarrying so to me this is when we take it to God and wait for His answer.

rephrase this please :) ya lost me
Other words if the unbelieving (one who does do believe in God) partner leaves chances are the vows meant nothing to them in the first place. If they leave the believing (one who believes in God) partner this allows the believing partner to marry again, but they need to find a partner that is evenly yoked to them.

thanks i understand now...

I vowed to God the better or worse speech... that is between me and God... My vow still stands..

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that if a woman is no longer pleasing to her husband then the husband should give his wife a written bill of divorcement and send her out of the house and this gives the woman the right to marry again,
Yes.
Jesus said that regulation was given because of the hardness of their hearts but it was not God's will.
Mat 5:31-32 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writ of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced commits adultery.

Jesus sets a higher standard.

Mat 19:7-9 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”
He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

So Jesus gave adultery as the only cause for divorce.
BUT: remember that Jesus was speaking to Jews who only married Jews. Marriage between Jews and Gentiles (unbelievers) was forbidden.
THEREFORE: when Paul, speaking to Gentile believers, says it is allowable to let an unbelieving spouse leave and not being bound to him/her, he is speaking to a situation that did not occur (or wasn't supposed to) among Jews.

iakov the fool

My view: God doesn't want us happy. He wants us faithful.

Marriage should never be entered into lightly as when it is the commitment usually falls by the wayside.

True that. The downside is that people don't seem to develop a sense of honor towards their marriage until down the road quite a bit, if even then. So they stumble along blind to the fact that they're doing it wrong. I suppose I should count myself lucky, as I developed a sense of honor when I was fairly young. I credit my dad with that but tales of Knights and Princesses in books probably helped me to learn those concepts too, lol.. So by the time I eventually made a girl pregnant for the first time, I knew it would be dishonor to not rise to the occasion. Plus I heard how everyone talks about deadbeat dads and stuff, those labels last a long time. I did not want to be that guy. All a man has is his word. And to not dishonor his Wife. She is the weaker vessel and is to be loved, cared for and exalted and honored as such. So I accidentally (Lol) did the right thing when I was young and hovered over her. But when you try to speak about concepts of honor to young people nowadays, it's like they think it's a joke or something. They have no clue of the concept.

Why wont the CIA put honor on the curriculum in the school textbooks? They print them all. Ohh...that's right, spiritual war is almost a conspiracy theory now too, huh so I'll stop there, lol...(It has to be up to the parents to teach the children honor & ethics.) Kids words are all emulated of the father and mother. All the way from ma-ma, Pa-pa to...mature individual and beyond. They listen. So also, we should listen to our Lord and emulate Him having become as children...Lol! Wow, all the striking similarities and parallels there too, huh?!

I think the entire earth is totally set up as a shadow of heaven. What is mankind to do? Be fruitful and multiply. Enter into the marriage covenant and produce fruit unto God for His day of harvest which shall come, and honor it and Him until He does come. All in the midst of a wave of deception and regulations, joy. But! So it is in the Kingdom of Heaven. You bet there's a court there. Scripture speaks of it a lot, there's a throne, the judgement seat and all that. A covenant is sort of a contract. It's being willing to complete something with honor and being willing to play by the rules. Our best deeds on this planet honor the family unit. Sometimes they call it walking in love.

The coffee's good this morning!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back