Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How I can live without sin.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
You can have a relationship with God where you will not have guilty conscience but I don't know about sin unless you have somehow eaten the antidote of the forbidden fruit. Act 24:16 "So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man."

I guess that depends on both your definition of "repent" and "gospel".

Repent means to turn to God, in submission to Him as Lord, which by default means to turn away Satan as your lord.

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
“Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26,17-20

Repent is the command of the Gospel.

The way we obey the Gospel is to repent.

The way we show that we have repented, is to confess Jesus as Lord. We live this commitment out by obeying Jesus as our Lord, by following His doctrine and commandments.

JLB

Because their sins have been cleansed.
Before they are allowed into the light, which is God.
As verse 5 said, there is no darkness (sin) in God.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light,... the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin, if we walk in the light.

What you are promoting is that in order to walk in the light, we must be sinless, and remain sinless to be able to continue to walk in the light.

Thats not what 1 John 7 says, and is plainly reiterated in the next verse.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.vs 8

Then in verse 9, we are instructed how we can be cleansed, so we can continue to walk with Him in the light.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. vs. 9

Again, why would we need to confess our sin, if we are sinless?

Verse 10 describes the condition of those who claim what you are promoting.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. vs. 10

JLB

You didn't answer my question. Do you need an Advocate?

Quantrill
Define the need for the Advocate, please.
Do you mean the Advocate for my eternal life?
If so, He has already answered my call.
And I thank Him for it every day.
If you mean an Advocate for forgiveness of my sins, He has already answered that call too, over twelve years ago.
And I thank Him for His advocacy to keep me in the light every day.

Last edited:
Are you telling me you have no hobbies? Watch no secular movies? Listen to no secular radio? Read no secular books?
If you think any of those things is sinful, (though some of them can be sinful), think again.
It is written..."Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled." (Titus 1:15)
If nothing is pure to you, what does that make you?

Repent means to turn to God, in submission to Him as Lord, which by default means to turn away Satan as your lord.
By default, it also means "turn from" sin.
I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
“Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26,17-20
Repent is the command of the Gospel.
The way we obey the Gospel is to repent.
The way we show that we have repented, is to confess Jesus as Lord. We live this commitment out by obeying Jesus as our Lord, by following His doctrine and commandments.
To make Jesus our Lord means to quit committing sin.
No man can serve two masters, and sinners serve sin.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light,... the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin, if we walk in the light.
What you are promoting is that in order to walk in the light, we must be sinless, and remain sinless to be able to continue to walk in the light.
Amen to that.
It is written in verse 5 that God is light, so as there is no sin in God, who is the light, there can also be no sin in us who walk in Him.
Sinners walk in darkness.
Thats not what 1 John 7 says, and is plainly reiterated in the next verse.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.vs 8
If we have been cleansed we can say we have no sin...or verse 7 and 9 of 1 John 1 are lies.
For them not to be lies we must realize John is describing those who walk in darkness in verses 6, 8, and 10.
John is describing those who walk in the light in verses 5, 7, and 9.

He uses an alternating method in his presentation, like Paul did in Romans 8
Or do you feel that those who walk after the flesh in Rom 8 are also those who walk in the Spirit in Rom 8?
Then in verse 9, we are instructed how we can be cleansed, so we can continue to walk with Him in the light.
As I believe I mentioned earlier, had John not used the alternating method, verse 9 would have preceded verse 7.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. vs. 9
Can't we say we have no unrighteousness after we have been cleansed?
Can't we say we have no sin after we are initially baptized FOR THE REISSION OF SIN? (Acts 2:38)
Again, why would we need to confess our sin, if we are sinless?
Doesn't that make it clear to you that John is not talking about those in the light but about those who still walk in sin?
Verse 10 describes the condition of those who claim what you are promoting.
It describes those who say they have never committed a sin...like the gnostic deceivers John is said to be warning them of. (1 John 2:26)
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. vs. 10.
Amen to that.
I sinned aplenty before I was taught I could kill the old man, who was born of Adam's seed, and be reborn of God's seed.
Before I was washed of all my past sins by the blood of Christ and started walking in the light.
Thanks be to a benevolent Creator !!!

That Acts 2:38 is interesting...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.../

For the remission of sins, in other words, as if they never happened. So there is no 500K years from now being sinners redeemed by grace. Strongs is clear about remission.

1.release from bondage or imprisonment
2. forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty...(Strongs)

If you think any of those things is sinful, (though some of them can be sinful), think again.
It is written..."Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled." (Titus 1:15)
If nothing is pure to you, what does that make you?
Hmmmm. This "all or nothing" regarding secular things seems similar to the mind set I've encountered by believers in OSAS. Do you believe in OSAS?

So? You are not making sense.
Your earlier statement that Jesus was born of a virgin, resulting in His ability to resist temptations to sin, was an attempt to refute our ability to also resist temptations to commit sin.
By showing all the readers here that we actually have it better than Jesus, in regards to your POV, I hoped you would soften your stance about not being able to love God and neighbor without failure.

In my case, the point here is to follow His steps in everything after true repentance.

Walter
I believe we can follow His path and try our best to walk in His steps. Where we disagree is, that I believe it is humanly impossible to EXACTLY walk in each and every footstep of our Lord. We are just humans. We must try to match His steps at every opportunity, but I have yet to see ANYONE who has done so to perfection.

I believe we can follow His path and try our best to walk in His steps. Where we disagree is, that I believe it is humanly impossible to EXACTLY walk in each and every footstep of our Lord. We are just humans. We must try to match His steps at every opportunity, but I have yet to see ANYONE who has done so to perfection.
Thank God we are not just "humans" anymore after rebirth.
We have been reborn as children of God, with the gift of the Holy Ghost, the bible, prayer, fellowship, and the constant intercession of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We can "walk perfectly".

Thank God we are not just "humans" anymore after rebirth.
We have been reborn as children of God, with the gift of the Holy Ghost, the bible, prayer, fellowship, and the constant intercession of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We can "walk perfectly".
I don't think we will find complete agreement on this matter, but you have raised my awareness in my journey toward being more attentive in my actions/inactions. This will benefit me in facilitating more spiritual growth and, for that, I am thankful.

Define the need for the Advocate, please.
Do you mean the Advocate for my eternal life?
If so, He has already answered my call.
And I thank Him for it every day.
If you mean an Advocate for forgiveness of my sins, He has already answered that call too, over twelve years ago.
And I thank Him for His advocacy to keep me in the light every day.

Oh please. You know what the need for our Advocate is. You have already displayed the verse. (1 John 2:1) "And if any man sin, we have an advocate....Jesus Christ the righteous"

No, Christ answered your call as Saviour and Sacrifice when you were born-again. As Advocate He advocates for us now when we sin. As usual you conflate the two ministries as you do with everything else.

Christ's advocacy keeps you in the light every day, only if you seek forgiveness of your daily sins. But, you are sinless. Thus Christ's advocacy plays no role with you.

Here is a truth for both the saved and lost. If you're a sinner, there is hope. Christ has dealt with it and can deal with it. But if your righteous, there is no hope. He has not made any provision for those non sinning righteous people. They stand on their own.

So, you, Hopeful, having come to Christ, now claim your own righteousness. But what does Scripture say about our righteousness?

Quantrill

That Acts 2:38 is interesting...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.../

For the remission of sins, in other words, as if they never happened. So there is no 500K years from now being sinners redeemed by grace. Strongs is clear about remission.

1.release from bondage or imprisonment
2. forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty...(Strongs)

Remission of sins means just that. You are a saved sinner.

You will always in Heaven be a saved sinner.

500 million years in Heaven, do you no longer need the Blood of Christ?

Quantrill

Back