Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How is a biblical conflict solved?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're missing it completely. Believers have an anointing that enables them to know if what John, or any other person says to them is the truth.

That's not what scripture says.
That's your invention.

You are completely missing this element of 'knowing' through the anointing of the Holy Spirit and putting the 'knowing' on what someone tells you, which, of course, for you means what the Catholic church tells you. And that is indeed what Catholics do. They rely on being told what is the truth and what is not, instead of relying on the anointing within the believer to tell them what teachings are truth and which are not. That is a formula for disaster as the history of the church has proven.

The Catholic Church has the teaching authority from Jesus Christ.

Hi Jaybo,
I have no doubt that some Catholics worship her.
This does not mean that they're supposed to....
however I do know that Catholics love Mary and venerate her, which is allowed.
She can be adored and venerated, but not worshipped.
No, no, no
We do not adore Mary

From very early times the Catholic Church made a clear distinction between the adoration due to God alone (latria – Latin/Greek) and the honour due to humans (dulia- Greek). The term hyperdulia was used for the additional honour due to Mary.

Jesus was both man and God. One person, two natures.
The word 'morphe' in Philippians 2:6 and 7 suggests a change of nature, not the addition of another nature. Which enforces all the more the continued deity of Jesus and the oneness of his earthly and divine attributes, not a coexistence of the two. God in different form, not in an additional form.

Last edited:
That's not what scripture says.
That's your invention.

You're literally saying the anointing comes from the Apostles and their successors teachings. But the passage says the anointing is the Holy Spirit (chrisma*). So Catholics listen to the church to tell them what is truth and what is not. But John says it is the Holy Spirit that shows us whether or not what we are told is the truth and that we don't need anyone to tell us what teachings are true and which ones are not. BIG difference. Of course, you're going to be led horribly astray if you rely solely on what men tell you is truth in order to discern truth from error. The church, especially the Catholic church, is living proof of this!

*https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g5545/kjv/tr/0-1/

The word 'morphe' in Philippians 2:6 and 7 suggests a change of nature, not the addition of another nature. Which enforces all the more the continued deity of Jesus and the oneness of his earthly and divine nature, not a coexistence of the two. God in different form, not in an additional form.
No it doesn't.

Strong 3444
Definition: form, shape
Usage: form, shape, outward appearance.

Jesus form was a man and some time go you equated form with nature. So Jesus had a human nature and a divine nature.

Individuals have teaching authority from Jesus Christ. The various spiritual offices listed in Ephesians 4:11 are bestowed on certain men called and gifted to execute the duties of those offices. Any one church may or may not have some of these called and gifted men in that church.

You're literally saying the anointing comes from the Apostles and their successors teachings. But the passage says the anointing is the Holy Spirit (chrisma*). So Catholics listen to the church to tell them what is truth and what is not. But John says it is the Holy Spirit that shows us whether or not what we are told is the truth and that we don't need anyone to tell us what teachings are true and which ones are not. BIG difference. Of course, you're going to be led horribly astray if you rely solely on what men tell you is truth in order to discern truth from error. The church, especially the Catholic church, is living proof of this!

*https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g5545/kjv/tr/0-1/

No I didn't say that.

Individuals have teaching authority from Jesus Christ. The various spiritual offices listed in Ephesians 4:11 are bestowed on certain men called and gifted to execute the duties of those offices. Any one church may or may not have some of these called and gifted men in that church.
But they have to get correct teaching first.
Not make it up themselves.

Jesus form was a man and some time go you equated form with nature. So Jesus had a human nature and a divine nature.
Yes, in fact I almost referred to it that way in my last post. But to avoid confusion of terms I focused on the change of Jesus' singular nature rather than the different attributes of his nature within him, divine and mortal.

Protestantism is and break away and splintering aberration.
Protestantism is what's left after breaking away from the falseness and corruption of the Catholic church. We've been making our way back toward to the real truth ever since. Not on an organizational level, as so many people like to box the church into, but on an individual basis, with true believers learning and discerning the truth for themselves through fellowship with the Word, the Holy Spirit, and like-minded seekers of truth.

But just like in the Catholic church, there is falseness and corruption outside of it, too, men seeking to box what it thinks is the truth into a convenient and recognizable and enduring organization. Oblivious to the fact that man does not need to do that. The church is alive and well in the hearts of all true believers devoted to their quest of non-denominational, non-institutionalized truth. And that church, the one and only true church, will exist and thrive and endure to the very end despite the efforts of men to denominate it (including the Catholic church), and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

No it doesn't.

Strong 3444
Definition: form, shape
Usage: form, shape, outward appearance.
The description 'form' is not what is in debate. The matter of Jesus existing in more than one form at the same time is what is in debate. Philippians 2:6-8 is describing a change of form, not the addition of another form to the one Jesus already had. The word 'morphe' signifies this. His morphosis meant changing his form to that of a human body, not the addition of a human body or the replacing of his form to that of a human body. His form was changed to that of a human body.

In your personal opinion
Do you realize this is really a copout statement? You do use it a lot. Others could reply with the same thing about everything you post but that wouldn't help edify anyone. The whole point of discussions like this is to work toward the truth, not add fuel to the animosity that exists. Just my $.02 and yes, it is just my opinion.

But they have to get correct teaching first.
Not make it up themselves.
That is true. And they discern what is truth in the same way we do as they learn and discern truth in order to teach and build us up. And when they say they have the truth, we, like the Bereans we should be, test what they say is truth by the Holy Spirit within us. But the Catholic church says you test what is truth, and what is not, by what they say is truth and what is not truth.

I don't see how our perusal of the manifestation of the Word on earth in the flesh as Jesus, can diminish the nature of Jesus Christ.
I mean, we now have the same divine nature He had !
It isn't His nature that is being "rationalized", it is His origin.
BTW, the term "divinity" isn't even in the KJV of the bible.
I believe it's His nature that is being rationalized due to the title of
Mother of God.
If Jesus is God,
and Mary was His mother,
is she not the Mother of God?

Jesus was His own Father?
Think about it.

Jesus was the Word.
After taking on flesh, He was no longer the Word.
It was the Word that "was God".

We don't, as she is in a grave awaiting the day of resurrection.
Oh my goodness Hopeful.
How crass!
I mean, we Protestants really need to have some respect and honor for the Mother of our Savior.

I believe it's His nature that is being rationalized due to the title of
Mother of God.
If Jesus is God,
and Mary was His mother,
is she not the Mother of God?
Mother implies a lot of things. Define for us what you mean by 'mother' of God. Then we can answer you better, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back