Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How is a biblical conflict solved?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer

Two honest and upright Christians reading a verse of scripture and holding opposing views as to its meaning:

Is one more valid and orthodox or authoritative than the other?

How is this conflict resolved so all parties can come to a biblical understanding and have a true and correct faith?

Examples:

Mk 16:16 only faith is required for salvation.
Mk 16:16 faith and baptism are required for salvation.

Jn 3:5 imply’s a spiritual baptism.
Jn 3:5 imply’s water baptism.

Matt 16:18 Peter’s confess is the rock upon which Christ builds His church.
Matt 16:18 Peter’s person is the rock upon which Christ builds His church.

Acts 8:36-38 salvation by faith, then the ordinance and public profession of faith by water baptism.
Acts 8:36-38 faith and baptism.

It depends on how hard they each hold to their particular understanding of those verses.

I assume you are talking of people.e who are not I the same church, but on a forum or meeting g elsewhere.

Hopefully they would discuss not just the verses they are disputing but also the other verses that have bearings on them.
If they can't agree then maybe they can agree to disagree.

The answer is simple and it's found within the Bible itself:

2 Timothy 2:15 KJV​

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Dispensationalism Doctrine = Rightly dividing the word of truth

Two honest and upright Christians reading a verse of scripture and holding opposing views as to its meaning:

How is this conflict resolved so all parties can come to a biblical understanding and have a true and correct faith?

Examples:

Acts 8:36-38 salvation by faith, then the ordinance and public profession of faith by water baptism.
Part of the problem that I see, particularly in the years that I have been a member here at CFnet, is that all too often we want to dig in our heels and stop listening to the other party(s). That's not always a bad thing for Scripture does tell us to take care not to be tossed about on the winds of doctrine but rather work toward unity in Christ. Digging in our heels could just mean that we don't let ourselves be easily swayed. At the same time, should we not listen for we may be mistaken in our understanding? I think if any of us thinks we have it all figured out, we're sadly mistaken for now we only see through a glass darkly (1 Corinthians 13:12).

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

Ephesians 4:11-16 NKJV

What's worse is that we start to see ourselves as attorneys and judges for Christ when Christ only asks that we be witnesses. A witness shares the truth as they know it. We are called to share the gospel in the way we live, the way we talk, and the way we think. But, alas, we would much rather be gods, if you will, and be in control so we try desperately to convince or even coerce others into our way of thinking.

46 "I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.
47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day."
John 12:46-48 NKJV

15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Mark 16:15-16 NKJV

12 "And when you go into a household, greet it.
13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.
14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet."
Matthew 10:12-14 NKJV

Last edited:
Part of the problem that I see, particularly in the years that I have been a member here at CFnet, is that all too often we want to dig in our heels and stop listening to the other party(s). That's not always a bad thing for Scripture does tell us to take care not to be tossed about on the winds of doctrine but rather work toward unity in Christ. Digging in our heels could just mean that we don't let ourselves be easily swayed. At the same time, should we not listen for we may be mistaken in our understanding. I think if any of us thinks we have it all figured out, we're sadly mistaken for now we only see through a glass darkly (1 Corinthians 13:12).

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

What's worse is that we start to see ourselves as attorneys and judges for Christ when Christ only asks that we be witnesses. A witness shares the truth as they know it. We are called to share the gospel in the way we live, the way we talk, and the way we think. But, alas, we would much rather be gods, if you will, and be in control so we try desperately to convince or even coerce others into our way of thinking.

46 "I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.
47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day."

15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."

13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.
14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet."
"Ditto"

We either allow ourselves to be taught by man's doctrines, or the very doctrines of Christ for what He has already taught us.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Spirit will teach you either one on one or by the anointing He has given to others who He equips to teach us. We need to hear what the Spirit of God is speaking to us.

1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1John 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Examples:

ALL of the Lord's commands are essential. But none of them MAKE you saved except the command to believe in the One God has sent.

Your error of doctrine is easily corrected by considering the whole context of scripture. Paul makes it clear that only through believing is a person justified (given righteousness), not through works. “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”-Romans 4:6. So the answer to the OP is to consider the whole counsel of scripture. In this case that settles the issue.

Last edited:
It depends on how hard they each hold to their particular understanding of those verses.

I assume you are talking of people.e who are not I the same church, but on a forum or meeting g elsewhere.

Hopefully they would discuss not just the verses they are disputing but also the other verses that have bearings on them.
If they can't agree then maybe they can agree to disagree.
Scripture says to be of one mind and one heart holding to the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42

Romans 12:16
Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Romans 15:6
That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 13:11
Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 1:27
Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Philippians 2:2
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism

2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

That verse refers to an apostle / bishop not the people who must be taught

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

And there is only one savior on covenant one church one Lord one faith one baptism for all men and all time till Christ returns

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Only Jesus Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18
Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

All others are heretical sects the tradition of men!

Part of the problem that I see, particularly in the years that I have been a member here at CFnet, is that all too often we want to dig in our heels and stop listening to the other party(s). That's not always a bad thing for Scripture does tell us to take care not to be tossed about on the winds of doctrine but rather work toward unity in Christ. Digging in our heels could just mean that we don't let ourselves be easily swayed. At the same time, should we not listen for we may be mistaken in our understanding. I think if any of us thinks we have it all figured out, we're sadly mistaken for now we only see through a glass darkly (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Good points
Also way too many assumptions of what they think someone believes or trying to look around corners to what’s his real agenda etc.

Examples:

Look for the fruit of each doctrine.
Does one lead a man into perfection while the other accommodates sin?

The same OP question applies here.
What decides which version of a verse is of God?

ALL of the Lord's commands are essential. But none of them MAKE you saved except the command to believe in the One God has sent.

Your error of doctrine is easily corrected by considering the whole context of scripture. Paul makes it clear that only through believing is a person justified (given righteousness), not through works. “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”-Romans 4:6. So the answer to the OP is to consider the whole counsel of scripture. In this case that settles the issue.
Did Abraham also have to obey God and be received into the mosaic covenant?

Examples:

This is increasingly, I believe, a very important matter. More and more, I encounter professing believers who are of the view that the Bible is "up for grabs" as far as what its contents mean. Part of this view is derived from the secular, relativistic and post-modern North American culture that increasingly opposes the idea of absolute truth, wanting only questions, skepticism and subjective preference, instead. In such a society, where personal feelings trump objective fact, biblical absolutes are becoming highly unpopular and offensive. But if the Church gives ground to the rising tide of skeptical subjectivism and moral relativism, it will grow dark and useless, nothing more than a mirror of human opinion and preference.

Anyway, in my experience it is relatively rare, actually, for two thoughtful believers who are carefully handling God's word to arrive at entirely different views on what it is saying. Very often, differences among these sort of believers amount to differences of degree of emphasis, or order, not substance. By means of sound reasoning, legitimate interpretive hermeneutics, and Spirit-controlled and guided illumination, the truth of God's word need not remain a perennial mystery, or impervious to certainty.

One of the most common - and worst - ways to handle God's word is by divorcing a verse from its immediate context then linking it illegitimately to other verses or passages from other books of the Bible entirely. In fifty years of walking with God, I have encountered the most contorted ideas about God's truth by those who do this as as standard practice. Never read a Bible verse. Always read - and understand - any verse in its context.

The law of non-contradiction forbids two directly contrary views from being simultaneously correct. One view is wrong, or both are; but they can't both be right at the same time. It is the responsibility of each believer to make a careful assessment of both views and decide which is right and which is wrong (or, that they are both in error). Just leaving doctrinal issues as ultimately unknowable is careless and immature, and denies the absolute and precious nature of divine truth.

Did Abraham also have to obey God...
Yes, Abraham had to obey God, but not to be credited righteousness. That happened when he believed God's promise of a son who would inherit the blessing on his behalf, before he did any work. Thus the phrase, "God credits righteousness apart from works" Romans 4:6 BSB.

and be received into the mosaic covenant?
No.
There was no Mosaic covenant to be received into until many, many years later. Paul talks about this in Galatians 3 to defend the fact that the promise existed long before the Mosaic covenant, and, most importantly, that covenant of works did not replace the promise. The inheritance has always been given through a promise received by believing in that promise, not given through a covenant of works.

Galatians 3:17-18 BSB

17What I mean is this: The law that came 430 years later does not revoke the covenant previously established by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God freely granted it to Abraham through a promise.

Firstly, pray. Secondly, a proper hermeneutics is needed. Thirdly, study Scripture using the ICE method (Isagogics, Categories, and Exegesis). Isagogics is the study of the Bible in its historical context, including the human writer, the recipients, and the time in which they lived. Categories refers to a topical compilation of doctrine, so that one can approach the Bible on a line-by-line-precept-by-precept basis, and cross-reference Scripture effectively. Exegesis, involves studying the grammar, syntax, and etymology of the original languages of Scripture, so that one is not relying on intermediate translations which may obscure or lose meanings.
If you adhere to such diligent study, you reduce your risk of being one of those of which you speak.

That verse refers to an apostle / bishop not the people who must be taught

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

And there is only one savior on covenant one church one Lord one faith one baptism for all men and all time till Christ returns

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Only Jesus Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18
Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

All others are heretical sects the tradition of men!
So, are you saying we are not to read the Bible, but only allow a Priest to teach us and that anyone who is not Catholic are heretics as this is how it sounds to me unless I am not understanding you?

Jesus founded the first Christian Church (not the Roman Catholic Church) on the day of Pentecost starting with the Disciples that received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and were given the great commission to take the teachings (doctrines) of Christ out into the world teaching in all truths as the Holy Spirit working through them. Upon Peter's first sermon that day there were around 3000 that that were added to the church (body of Christ). Salvation does not come by the Priest or the Pastor or anyone else, as faith comes by hearing the word of God in what He had the Prophets and Apostles to write.

Salvation comes by the grace of God through faith that is Christ Jesus alone as only He is the way, the truth and the life and the only one who forgives our sins when we confess them to Him alone.

Latin root word for religion is bondage, which is different then that of Gods pure religion of James 1:27, but that of following tradition and the doctrine of a mans church, not Gods true Church. The Latin root word is religare as re is a prefix that means return and ligare means to bind. Religion tells you what you can and cannot do and becomes socially acceptable by mans interpretations, traditions and doctrines. Religion is what nailed Christ to the cross because the Bible is not socially acceptable to society, if it were then Christ would have died in vain. God is not about mans religion, nor does he recognize religion. God is about a personal relationship with you and His son Jesus Christ.

John 1:1 in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:2 the same was in the beginning with God.
John 1:3 all things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:4 in him was life; and the life was the light of men.
John 1:5 and the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.​

Firstly, pray. Secondly, a proper hermeneutics is needed. Thirdly, study Scripture using the ICE method (Isagogics, Categories, and Exegesis). Isagogics is the study of the Bible in its historical context, including the human writer, the recipients, and the time in which they lived. Categories refers to a topical compilation of doctrine, so that one can approach the Bible on a line-by-line-precept-by-precept basis, and cross-reference Scripture effectively. Exegesis, involves studying the grammar, syntax, and etymology of the original languages of Scripture, so that one is not relying on intermediate translations which may obscure or lose meanings.
If you adhere to such diligent study, you reduce your risk of being one of those of which you speak.
Indeed, hermeneutics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back