Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is TULIP biblical?

That’s half of that verse. He tells us how many. What’s the other half that tells us how many?
Acts 13:48 kjv
48. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

If we understand complicated this is where PaRDeS really kicks in.

There are 4 stomachs in a clean ox (which is compared to a good preacher)

The gentiles mentioned the Jews they knew and their relationship with them. The Jews gave their opinion of these gentiles.
So the answers should be common, religious, cultural and spiritual. Or some levels. Not just what one person thinks. I
Guess?
I am listening.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I’m clearly not asking about Acts 2:41. How many were saved in Acts 13:48?
I hope you are.
The righteous from every nation under heaven (Jews and proselytes alike).
Were involved at Pentecost.

The Gentile inclusion has implications of these gentiles knowing God already. Not exactly the same, but similar to Acts 2:41

The gentiles received the Holy Spirit just like at Pentecost.

Common preaching and spiritual going on.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I’m clearly not asking about Acts 2:41. How many were saved in Acts 13:48?
No redeemed sinner can answer that for the reason I gave. I'm not the Judge.

Look at the parable of " the sower and the seed. some received the word with joy but then the cares of the world choked it out of them.

No redeemed sinner can answer that for the reason I gave. I'm not the Judge.

Look at the parable of " the sower and the seed. some received the word with joy but then the cares of the world choked it out of them.
Anyone can answer it, because we are given the answer; it's the part of the verse that you changed.

Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed. (ESV)

That's how many were saved--"as many as were appointed."

You first responded: "Luke means as many as believed the gospel." But that isn't what he said. Would these Gentiles have had to believe the gospel? Of course, but those who believed the gospel were "as many as were appointed to eternal life." Why would you would you change that says by leaving out that those who believed were appointed to believe?

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:16-17

God loves the world, and sent His Son to die on the cross so that whoever from among the world who believes in Him would become saved.
ok...from a human point of view, this is true.

God gives every people the right to choose whether to serve Him or not.

Each person must choose.

• And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve

Now therefore, fear the LORD, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD! And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:14-15

Every person who is in the world must choose to believe and therefore obey the LORD or not.

• but he who does not obey the Son will not see life

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
John 3:36
It is a command to believe, not a choice. They already do not want to believe.30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Romans 5:15 kjv

But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Some issues:
Many be dead ( in no way does it say all are dead)

The grace of God and the Grace of Jesus
1. The Grace of creation (Father and Son) Romans 1:20 (things of God are seen in things that were made).
2. The grace of the Gospel (Father sent Jesus with a mission to accomplish solution).

Verse 15 is also a solution, and not just a disaster.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Yes all are dead by nature, they died in adam 1 Cor 15:22
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Ezekiel 18
The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying, What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge? As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel. Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. vss.1-4
Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? [/b]When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live. vs.19

The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. vs.20

Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal? vs.25
Changes not the fact that TULIP is the Truth of the Gospel.

Yes, man is born dead in trespasses and sins.

The only way for man to be saved is to hear and believe the Gospel.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life”.
John 3:16

God loves everyone in the world and desires for them to be saved.

That’s why He sent His Son to die on the cross for each and everyone in the world.

JLB
Yes man is born dead in sin. my point exactly.

Yes all are dead by nature, they died in adam 1 Cor 15:22
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
Adam’s death was physical.
In Christ is eternal spiritual life. You must be born again.

Hell is eternal death? Second death.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Anyone can answer it, because we are given the answer; it's the part of the verse that you changed.

Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed. (ESV)

That's how many were saved--"as many as were appointed."
This is what I said in post #234.
You first responded: "Luke means as many as believed the gospel."
Yes, after I quoted" as many as were appointed..."
But that isn't what he said.
Yes it is what he meant. You just ignored what I said and the scripture I cited to prove it.
Would these Gentiles have had to believe the gospel? Of course, but those who believed the gospel were "as many as were appointed to eternal life." Why would you would you change that says by leaving out that those who believed were appointed to believe?
I didn't leave it out. It was the first thing I included. You simply ignored it. Look at post 234.

This is what I said in post #234.

Yes, after I quoted" as many as were appointed..."

Yes it is what he meant. You just ignored what I said and the scripture I cited to prove it.

I didn't leave it out. It was the first thing I included. You simply ignored it. Look at post 234.
I simply misread your post. So, what does it mean that those who believed were those "appointed to eternal life"?

Yes, the word elect must be included to be in view of the context.

God so loved the world… the elect refers to the Jews.

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
2 Timothy 2:10

Here we see Paul desiring that they elect would also obtain salvation.

Elect refers to the Jews; God’s chosen people.

The Jews were chosen, not for salvation, but to be the bloodline of the Messiah.

(for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), Romans 9:11

Elect; election refers to elected for purpose, not elected for salvation.

If you believe elect refers to elected for salvation, then you are in gross error and are teaching an unbiblical concept.

Here is some context for verse 11 from Romans 9 —

I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises; of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen. Romans 9:1-5

• of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came,

The context of Romans 9 is clear, and refers to the people God chose, elected, to be bloodline through which the Messiah would come.

IOW’s He chose Jacob over Esau, not for salvation, but for the PURPOSE of being the lineage of the Messiah.
Biblical election is concerning 4 things. Individual election for salvation is taught.Your dispensational ideas contradict Romans, Ephesians, and Galatians

I simply misread your post. So, what does it mean that those who believed were those "appointed to eternal life"?
It means people who put their faith in God are going to be saved.

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; Heb.2:3

...how often would I have gathered thy children together.....and ye would not! Lk.13:34

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith...Jas.2:5

Jemes doesn't mean every poor person is saved. he means generally speaking poor people are more inclined to have faith in God because they don't have anything else,

It means people who put their faith in God are going to be saved.
It means that but more than that. It says “appointed.” What does that mean in reference to eternal life? Does that mean just anyone or only those appointed?

It means that but more than that. It says “appointed.” What does that mean in reference to eternal life?
It means God determined beforehand, ordained, swore by Himself, that people who humble themselves and live by faith in His word, will inherit eternal life.

He swore it by Himself. His word is therefore immutable. God will not and cannot go back on His word.
Does that mean just anyone or only those appointed?
It means anyone who calls on him sincerely,

Thus says the LORD:
"Heaven is My throne and earth is My footstool. Where is the house that you will build Me and where is the place of My rest? For all those things My hand has made and all those things exist,”
Isa.66:1-2 NIV

This is our Humble King speaking as the Creator of everything that exists. He's saying, Do you think I will ever need help from you?

Fact is, we need His help and here's who He helps,

“But on this one will I look:
On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit,
And who trembles at My word. Isa.661:2

We need to see that God ordained sending Himself as an (apparently) ordinary man.

Brother,
He slapped death all over the place. Are you kidding me? i'll tell you something bro. If I had anything to do with that guys' death and found out he was still walking around, I'd be terrified.

He wants to forgive all sinners as all of our sins are against God.

He told Peter to put his sword away because he didn't need it. He told Pontius Pilate there was SomeOne far above him.

Pilate didn't know the One above him was the One standing before him and the next time Pilate sees our Lord, he will see as Him God Almighty .
Peter confessed that Jesus is the Son of God, but later he forsook the Lord. They all did. They ran.
When our Lord was risen, He asked Peter if he loved Him. Three times. Lol!
We all need to grow.

Last edited:
Ephesians 1:4 kjv
4. According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6. To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

The seed is the Word of God
The ground is men’s hearts

The story of our physical health is written in our DNA. That is not a super spiritual thing, but it does shadow spiritual potential. To get it all to work we must be born again.

So
One person looks at the human body and figures out that ( to be born again will be my solution).

His friends say forget all that physical stuff from creation and listen to the doctrine of predestination as seen by reformed people. Romans 1:20 does not say what you think it says. If anyone lacks some information God will not answer in regard to human anatomy. I say Jews and gentiles differ. One group is through faith the other is by faith. This is all merged into one new man.

As a person of limited mentality I can not explain what I just said. That does not prevent me from looking into differences in metabolic pathways in different organs in human anatomy. Thus I try and listen to others that do not think like me. Can we both be right? Maybe. Can we both be wrong? Maybe. We allow others to evaluate what is said.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Last edited:
It means God determined beforehand, ordained, swore by Himself, that people who humble themselves and live by faith in His word, will inherit eternal life.
Is that what it means? Can you please show exactly how you get that from the text?

It is saying that only those who were appointed to eternal life believed. That is, the only ones who believed were appointed or ordained to believe. At a minimum, it means there was something from outside of them that influenced to believe, but that points to the very same idea—election.

Back