Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

James 2 And OSAS

Where do you get the idea Moses was an unbeliever? He did everything as the LORD had commanded.

Both Aaron and Moses did not enter the promised land because of UNbelief:

Numbers 20:12
And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

Hebrews 4:6 says they fell because of disobedience.
The short course on disobedience is that it is unbelief, as shown above. "ye believed _ not"

All sin is at it's essence, unbelief. We disobey because we don't believe God. We 'rebel.'

So does Hebrews 3:18 So does Hebrews 4:11 'Let us strive to enter that rest, that no one fall by the same sort of disobedience.' And Jude 1:5 says he 'afterward destroyed those who did not believe'. Destroyed is the opposite of saved. What happened to the Israelites is a lesson what happens to unbelievers. They are destroyed not saved.

Then you must conclude using your measure that neither Aaron or Moses are saved if you desire to be consistent. Aaron and Moses didn't make it to the promised land and they did not because they believed NOT.

And should you happen to see the error of your view on this count, as you should, you may have to reconsider your hardline on other fallen brothers.

s

smaller

I said it is a lesson for us that they died because they did not obey the word of the LORD. I said it is a lesson in the severity of God, that if you are disobedient in the smallest thing you will die. This is consistent with the teaching of our Lord and the teaching of the apostles.

It's for this reason, that God's judgment is so severe, that God sent his Son to ransom us. Regarding Aaron and Moses, they died because they did not obey the word of the LORD. Will they be saved from the coming wrath and the hell of fire? I would think so, but I'm not their judge. God can save whomever he wills. Were they punished for their disobedience? Yes.

But what does this have to do with OSAS?

Jude says, 'he who saved a people out of Egypt, afterwards destroyed those who did not believe' Doesn't this argue against once saved always saved in that they were saved out of Egypt, but then they were destroyed because they did not obey the word of the LORD?

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it is a lesson for us that they died because they did not obey the word of the LORD.

Uh, no, it was UNbelief.

"Because ye believed me not"

Believed not, aka UNbelief.

Stated again here:

Jude 1:5
I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

There is is again: BELIEVED NOT aka UNbelief.

So, Moses in hell? Aaron in hell? All of Israel that came out of Egypt OVER the age of 20 except 2?

All in HELL?

Remember if you say NO to them in HELL then you should likewise measure FALLEN BELIEVERS.

To be consistent in NON OSAS you MUST commit Moses, Aaron and all the others to HELL because they died in UNbelief.

I said it is a lesson in the severity of God, that if you are disobedient in the smallest thing you will die. This is consistent with the teaching of our Lord and the teaching of the apostles.

It's for this reason, that God's judgment is so severe, that God sent his Son to ransom us. Regarding Aron and Moses, they died because they did not obey the word of the LORD. Will they be saved from the coming wrath and the hell of fire? I'm pretty sure they will be saved; God can save whomever he wills. Were they punished for their disobedience? Yes.

If that's what you believe
then I'd expect you'd cut at least as much slack to fallen christians.

s

32 They angered him at the waters of Mer′ibah,
and it went ill with Moses on their account;
33 for they made his spirit bitter,
and he spoke words that were rash.

Uh, no, it was UNbelief.

"Because ye believed me not"

Believed not, aka UNbelief.

Stated again here:

Jude 1:5
I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

There is is again: BELIEVED NOT aka UNbelief.

So, Moses in hell? Aaron in hell? All of Israel that came out of Egypt OVER the age of 20 except 2?

All in HELL?

Remember if you say NO to them in HELL then you should likewise measure FALLEN BELIEVERS.

To be consistent in NON OSAS you MUST commit Moses, Aaron and all the others to HELL because they died in UNbelief.

It doesn't say they went to hell or that they died in unbelief.

Are you talking about the people of Israel or Moses and Aaron who led the people of Israel out of Egypt? Are you talking about the people or the servant of God who was punished on their account. Read Psalms 105-106 Psalm 106:32 'They angered him at the waters of Mer'ibah and it went ill with Moses.' The Bible doesn't say Moses fell into unbelief. The unbelievers were the people of Israel. That's who Jude is talking about.

4 Questions

Those who teach conditional salvation often avoid specifics. How would they answer the following questions:

i) What sin causes loss of salvation?

A theft? A swear word? A lie? Ten lies? 50 lies? No specific uniform answers are available, indicating the unsound foundation on which this error is built.

ii) How does loss of salvation become known to an individual?

Again, solid answers are not there, only nebulous suggestions.

iii) How is salvation recovered?

If salvation is through believing, how does one ‘believe again’? No one who has had Christ revealed to his soul could ever ‘believe again’. Interestingly, some cults who teach baptismal regeneration and conditional salvation do not insist on rebaptism once a ‘backslider’ has been ‘restored’. In other words, baptism is essential for salvation first time around, but not the second time

iv) Where in scripture is there an example of a true believer losing his salvation and then being saved again?

Before addressing these questions, let me establish the terms and their meanings. Salvation - being saved from the wages of sin, DEATH and being gifted with age lasting life from God thru His Anointed One, Jesus.

I propose that the scriptures teach that salvation is a gift that is not received in this life. The scriptures teach that assurance of a future salvation could be received in this life but not that salvation is realized in the here and now. The assurance was based on Jesus' conquering death makingage lasting life a reality for all who believe and obey.

So now, to answer your questions.

1. What sin caused the loss of salvation?
answer: Unfaithfulness.
A better question centers around what causes salvation to be realized. The completed work of Jesus coupled with the believer's faithfulness LEADS TO salvation. Jesus' work is done, but a believer's faithfulness is an ongoing process. When the process is stopped, so too is the assurance of the salvation that awaits. When one finally realizes salvation, it likely cannot be lost (but again, that doesn't happen in this life).

2. How does loss of salvation become known to an individual?

3. How is salvation recovered?
answer: The same way it is received.
Through faith and trust in the Lord that causes one to live a life of submission and obedience to the Lord.

4. Where in scripture is there an example of a true believer losing his salvation and then being saved again?
answer: This is easy to answer, NOWHERE. But the question is problematic because nowhere in scripture are we shown any individual aside from perhaps Jesus Himself that had already received the gift of salvation. We are told "at the end of your faith" the salvation of one's soul will be realized (1 Peter 1:9).

Thanks for answering. The answers are typical to what I get from Unbelievers.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. You have no chance of "intellectually understanding" until you get saved. You need the Spirit to understand the Mind Of Christ. We do not get the Spirit until we are saved.

The answer is an obvious "no".
I agree and say the obvious answer to James’ question ( Can that faith save him?) is no.

Ok. You said you wanted to "start here". Will you be continuing?

In fact the structure of the Greek grammar being in the form of a negative statement, I’m told, requires the answer to the question to be no. Also James gives the answer to this question in verses 17 and 26. Which leads me to my point to answer the assertion that you made that I have to “choose between the two, OSAS or sola-fideâ€.
It seems like you have to choose between the two, OSAS or sola-fide
I believe in both sola-fide and OSAS because that’s what the texts actually says, versus your misrepresentation of what it says.
Actually, the words are "can faith save him?", there is no "that" or "type" of faith.
1. The Biblical evidence from the Greek manuscripts of verse 14 is against your dogmatic, incorrect statement here. But it certainly explains why we understand James 2 to teach two totally different things. That’s my answer to your assertion that OSAS and sola-fide are not compatible. OSAS is compatible with sola-fide via sola-scripture. It’s just not compatible with sola-daddyo.
I have explained my thoughts on this topic from the very beginning. Whether verse 14 says "faith" or "this faith" or "that faith" or "said faith" or "whatever faith" has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on the OP. Outside of my last post to you I have not mentioned James 2:14 once. It neither bolsters nor hurts my contention, which is why I only commented on it in passing.

2. I’m just reading what’s there and understanding what James is saying versus what you incorrectly are saying that he has said. You have changed what James says in verse 14 (and most likely many other places as well) by stating there is no definite article that ties this “Faith†to that which he just described as a “said faithâ€.
When did I say there is no "definite article"? There is no consensus on what the "article" means within the word "pistis" in v. 14. You agree with Wallace on the subject. Fine, but there others, like Hodges, who aren't convinced that it refers to the previous substantive ("said faith") because the article also appears in verse 22, which can't possibly refer to a "said" faith.

"You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works,..."

There are other places in Scripture where "pistis" with the same article is used and it doesn't refer to a "previous substantive", so it's logical to translate the word as simply "faith".

I can't help but notice that you "misrepresented" my view. Didn't you give me a ration for doing that to you? Weren't you quite upset and even quoted the TOS (2.5, if I remember right). Hummm...It's a good thing I have thick skin...

3. The Biblical evidence from James 14 manuscripts clearly has a grammatical article with pistis (faith). That’s why EVERY modern translation includes it (see list below).

4. The Biblical evidence from James’ later verses in Chapter 2 is against your statement here.
a. So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. (James 2:17 ESV)
b. For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. (James 2:26 ESV)
5. I have no incentive to remove the definite article in this verse from any outside pressure whether that threat being burned alive or just simply social ostracizing from friends/family.
I have no incentive either. As I said, it was only in passing. It is off topic.

6. It’s rather pointless to discuss (debate) Scripture with someone that feels like it’s acceptable to just remove words (or add them as they see fit).

Now I'm not just removing articles, I'm removing whole words? This is an overreaction, don't you think?

I’ve answered your assertion as to why/how I can view OSAS as being compatible with sola-fide.
You may THINK you have but you haven't answered me in relation to the word "justification" in James 2:21 and 25.

Sola-fide is about putting our full faith in God for the remission of our sins period. There is no qualification to that faith.
Really? I thought the faith had to be "true" faith or "saving" faith for it to save. Isn't that a "qualification"?

It’s faith to leads to salvation, then comes the works to prove it to the humans viewing our works around us looking at our actions.

Do you mean "showing" true faith?

The thief on the cross could not even move his hands and feet to do any “worksâ€, yet his belief in Jesus as God’s son saved him.
The thief was an extreme example, he COULDN'T do anything else.

7. As James is pointing out in verse 23 “and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousnessâ€â€”and he was called a friend of God. (James 2:23-26 ESV). That’s sola-fide and OSAS in one verse.
No, it's not.

8. And Paul, for example, agrees with James and his method of proof (tying sola-fide to O.T Scripture). I find zero incompatibility with OSAS and sola-fide in James (verses 2:21 and 25, included) or the rest of Scripture.
Really? Could you please define the word "justification" in these two verses so we can move on with the OP?
For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression. That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nationsâ€â€”in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. (Romans 4:13-17 ESV)
9. It seems odd that any Christian would have the incentive to remove the definite article ἡ within the this text, thus removing any faith of any “type†toward our salvation. (see the original Greek text and EVERY modern translation except the 1611 and New King James translations) . Without the qualification of this type of faith in the question of verse 14 (“that faith†or “His faithâ€) and assuming therefore James means any/all types of faith, then that would have James saying no faith of any “type†can save you because of the grammar of the text being negative. Thus, salvation becomes not “faith plus works†but it’s ALL works. No faith of any type is required. Which doesn’t make sense even within a faith plus works doctrinal view of salvation. If that were the case, then there’s no need for a “saviorâ€. Jesus cannot be the “redeemerâ€. We would be fully redeeming ourselves, via our works totally apart from any faith. On that view, we can and do “save†ourselves wholly apart from any faith whatsoever. No savior required. He’s not Lord, we are? Might as well be atheist or Buddhist.

You are completely overreacting. Because there is a negative connotation to James rhetorical statement, doesn't mean that IF we translate the word as simply "faith", we "would have James saying no faith of any “type†can save you..." We would have James saying that generic "faith" can't save, which is what he goes on to argue.
It has to be faith expressing itself through love.

10. But the fact remains, that there is (in the Greek) prior to pistis (faith) in verse 14 that every modern translation translates as either “that†or “his†as these experts all agree that James is qualifying a “type†of faith to his readers. The literal translation (Young’s) even has it that way.

James 2:14 (ESV, ASV, NASB, YLT) Can that faith save him?
James 2:14 (HCSB, RSV) Can his faith save him?
James 2:14 Amplified Bible (AMP) Can [such] faith save [his soul].

Yes, the King James translators choose: Can faith save him? I have no idea why nor do I care, frankly.
So, you only care when translators AGREE with you? It seems like you would at least be a little curious.

But the Greek has this article [ translated That or His] in its manuscripts. You are simply flat out wrong when you say otherwise.

And of course the reason this is important toward understanding what James is saying (besides the obviousness of correctly translating the Greek) is that the whole point of James 2 is to show that a true faith will in fact produce some outwardly signs, be they as simple as housing some strangers in need all the way to sacrificing your child if that’s what God has lead you to do. But those works (signs to people) are NOT what leads to righteousness. They rather follow along with that righteousness. They are horizontal types of faith and justifications (man-to-man) not a vertical fiath (man-to-God).
Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? (James 2:21 ESV)
And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.(James 2:25-26 ESV)
As a OSAS and Sola-fide believer, I say Amen to James' words here. Absolutely, I can see where these were both events/actions/works perfomred by these two people that demonstrates to me they did in fact have true faith in God. I"m blessed that ehy have been recorded in the Bible. Else, why would they have done such things, had they not had true faith (as Peter would point out). It's a buch of pigs and dogs that don't show their true faith.

I’m also amazed at the dedication and hard work that many Christians, ministers, pastors, missionaries and priests perform. I do think it’s an indication that they have faith in Jesus (else why didicate their lives to this work). But it’s Jesus that is their Savior, not their works. And I clearly see that James agrees.
So, for the sake of argument, let's say you are right. Let's say ALL translators agree that James 2:14 is ONLY translated "said faith" or "that faith" or whatever you want to say. How does this hurt my contention? Do you even know what my contention is? Hint: It has NOTHING to do with verse 14.

In case you've forgotten, let me remind you:

There are only two ways that I know of the interpret the word "justified" in James 2:21 and 25. Either it's "shown to be righteous", which you seem to agree with when you said "It’s faith to leads to salvation, then comes the works to prove it to the humans viewing our works around us looking at our actions."

Or its "made/declared righteous".

If you think it's "shown to be righteous", than it's possible, as you SEEM (I don't want to get accused of "misrepresenting" your view) to say above, for us to PROVE we have "saving faith". If a person "shows" his true faith, then backslides, OSAS is false because he has PROVEN he was REALLY justified. The only option left is he HAD true faith and lost it.

If you think it's "made/declared righteous", then James is saying the same thing Paul is, that we are really justified (made righteous) by our "works".

This is my contention. Show me where I'm wrong.

This is good Chessman. You've added new insight into the matter.

This post is worth reading several times over.

Really, Allen? This is "worth reading several times over", even with all the vitriol within it?

Weren't you indignant with all the non "Christ like" references in Francisdesales posts, so much so you won't talk to him? How are these different?

"I believe in both sola-fide and OSAS because that’s what the texts actually says, versus your misrepresentation of what it says."

"1.
The Biblical evidence from the Greek manuscripts of verse 14 is against your dogmatic, incorrect statement here."

"OSAS is compatible with sola-fide via sola-scripture. It’s just not compatible with sola-daddyo."

"2. I’m just reading what’s there and understanding what James is saying versus what you incorrectly are saying that he has said. You have changed what James says in verse 14 (and most likely many other places as well) by stating there is no definite article that ties this “Faith” to that which he just described as a “said faith”."

"5. I have no incentive to remove the definite article in this verse from any outside pressure whether that threat being burned alive or just simply social ostracizing from friends/family."

"6. It’s rather pointless to discuss (debate) Scripture with someone that feels like it’s acceptable to just remove words (or add them as they see fit)."

Don't you think Chessman was rather harsh in some of these sentences? Humm... HERE, when someone you agree with
is harsh, it's "worth reading several times over", yet when someone you DISAGREE with uses arguably much milder language, he is not "Christ like" and you won't even talk to him.

Selective outrage. Are you a Democrat, by any chance?

BTW, I have no problem with ANYTHING Chessman said or the way he said it. We are all adults here and realize this is a debate forum. I give as much as I get and vice-versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good Chessman. You've added new insight into the matter.

This post is worth reading several times over.

Really, Allen? This is "worth reading several times over", even with all the vitriol within it?

Weren't you indignant with all the non "Christ like" references in Francisdesales posts, so much so you won't talk to him? How are these different?

"I believe in both sola-fide and OSAS because that’s what the texts actually says, versus your misrepresentation of what it says."

"1.
The Biblical evidence from the Greek manuscripts of verse 14 is against your dogmatic, incorrect statement here."

"OSAS is compatible with sola-fide via sola-scripture. It’s just not compatible with sola-daddyo."

"2. I’m just reading what’s there and understanding what James is saying versus what you incorrectly are saying that he has said. You have changed what James says in verse 14 (and most likely many other places as well) by stating there is no definite article that ties this “Faith” to that which he just described as a “said faith”."

"5. I have no incentive to remove the definite article in this verse from any outside pressure whether that threat being burned alive or just simply social ostracizing from friends/family."

"6. It’s rather pointless to discuss (debate) Scripture with someone that feels like it’s acceptable to just remove words (or add them as they see fit)."

Don't you think Chessman was rather harsh in some of these sentences? Humm... HERE, when someone you agree with
is harsh, it's "worth reading several times over", yet when someone you DISAGREE with uses arguably much milder language, he is not "Christ like" and you won't even talk to him.

Selective outrage. Are you a Democrat, by any chance?

BTW, I have no problem with ANYTHING Chessman said or the way he said it. We are all adults here and realize this is a debate forum. I give as much as I get and vice-versa.

I'm sorry we disagree, I mean no harm.

4 Questions

Those who teach conditional salvation often avoid specifics. How would they answer the following questions:

i) What sin causes loss of salvation?

A theft? A swear word? A lie? Ten lies? 50 lies? No specific uniform answers are available, indicating the unsound foundation on which this error is built.

ii) How does loss of salvation become known to an individual?

Again, solid answers are not there, only nebulous suggestions.

iii) How is salvation recovered?

If salvation is through believing, how does one ‘believe again’? No one who has had Christ revealed to his soul could ever ‘believe again’. Interestingly, some cults who teach baptismal regeneration and conditional salvation do not insist on rebaptism once a ‘backslider’ has been ‘restored’. In other words, baptism is essential for salvation first time around, but not the second time

iv) Where in scripture is there an example of a true believer losing his salvation and then being saved again?

Before addressing these questions, let me establish the terms and their meanings. Salvation - being saved from the wages of sin, DEATH and being gifted with age lasting life from God thru His Anointed One, Jesus.

I propose that the scriptures teach that salvation is a gift that is not received in this life. The scriptures teach that assurance of a future salvation could be received in this life but not that salvation is realized in the here and now. The assurance was based on Jesus' conquering death makingage lasting life a reality for all who believe and obey.

So now, to answer your questions.

1. What sin caused the loss of salvation?
answer: Unfaithfulness.
A better question centers around what causes salvation to be realized. The completed work of Jesus coupled with the believer's faithfulness LEADS TO salvation. Jesus' work is done, but a believer's faithfulness is an ongoing process. When the process is stopped, so too is the assurance of the salvation that awaits. When one finally realizes salvation, it likely cannot be lost (but again, that doesn't happen in this life).

2. How does loss of salvation become known to an individual?

3. How is salvation recovered?
answer: The same way it is received.
Through faith and trust in the Lord that causes one to live a life of submission and obedience to the Lord.

4. Where in scripture is there an example of a true believer losing his salvation and then being saved again?
answer: This is easy to answer, NOWHERE. But the question is problematic because nowhere in scripture are we shown any individual aside from perhaps Jesus Himself that had already received the gift of salvation. We are told "at the end of your faith" the salvation of one's soul will be realized (1 Peter 1:9).

Thanks for answering. The answers are typical to what I get from Unbelievers.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. You have no chance of "intellectually understanding" until you get saved. You need the Spirit to understand the Mind Of Christ. We do not get the Spirit until we are saved.
Yes, its very odd how some feel so strong about their unbelief that they must share that with others, almost like a religion? For a non-believer to come on a "Christian" forum and attempt to insult the faith of others, seems very odd to me?

It seems almost as odd that some would attempt to use James 2, as a statement against the gospel Paul taught. No, the conflict is in the carnal mind of man, who cannot understand the gospel of grace.

2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

I can prove that none who claim to believe the epistle James somehow are in conflict with Pauls epistles, do not even believe the things written in this epistle.

It doesn't say they went to hell or that they died in unbelief.

Uh, yes, it does. If we can't read the fact o that there is little point trying to move past that fact.

Are you talking about the people of Israel or Moses and Aaron who led the people of Israel out of Egypt?

Yes, Moses and Aaron. IN fact Aaron had quite an interesting death. Quite interesting. And you can include everyone over the age of 20 who all died in the desert because of UNbelief except 2 people out of a total of a possible couple million. (and please don't turn this into a math accuracy quest on the total numbers.)

Are you talking about the people or the servant of God who was punished on their account. Read Psalms 105-106 Psalm 106:32 'They angered him at the waters of Mer'ibah and it went ill with Moses.' The Bible doesn't say Moses fell into unbelief. The unbelievers were the people of Israel. That's who Jude is talking about.

I just cited you scripture a couple times now that they BELIEVED NOT, which is unbelief.

What seems to be the problem here?

You know the factual observation made was meant to jamb the gears of the NON OSAS position and jamb it does, obviously.

s

For a non-believer to come on a "Christian" forum and attempt to insult the faith of others, seems very odd to me?

It's even odder when you have believers who come to pounce on other believers saying God in Christ can not and will not save believers.

That is one of the most bizarre matters I've witnessed in christiandom.

Yet it's everywhere where fear is spread.

s

smaller, feel free to explain to us how the 'sin that leads to death', and the 'sin that doesn't lead to death' are the same. And then explain how sharing that and other warnings in the Bible about sin is to be guilty of the devil's work.

That pretty much epitomizes the issue JB.

Exactly none of you are officially authorized to diminish the GRACE OF GOD IN CHRIST unto any believer 'in sin' to the detriment of their eternal destiny.

You'd all be better off eternally damning yourselves before you pull that stunt on fallen believers.

There is only one statement that should flow from the lips of a believer to another who has been drawn away....

Gal. 6:
6 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

This quest somehow manages to get twisted in the minds of some to be 'they must believe ME, ME ME' or be eternally tortured or destroyed.

s

Why can't the following statements flow from believers to other believers?

"20...you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again." (Romans 11:20-23 NIV)

"...Christ is faithful as the Son over God’s house. And we are his house, if indeed we hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory." (Hebrews 3:6 NIV)

"12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end." (Hebrews 3:12-14 NIV)

"22...he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel." (Colossians 1:22-23 NIV)

"1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:1-2 NIV)

Explain how sharing these scriptures with other's in the church to consider for themselves is doing the devil's work.

If sharing these scriptures is diminishing the grace of God the Bible beat us to the punch. And if we listen to your teaching, the people who wrote these things has done this to the "detriment of their eternal destiny", as you say. Explain these very strong accusations against the authors of the Bible.

Which post has ANY non-OSAS condemned someone to hell here??? A big fat red herring...

Every one of you who claim believers might fry if doing X are playing that game.
Well, at least we're keeping good company...with the authors of the Bible.

If you are reading a book called 'the Bible' and seeing God burning His Own Children alive in fire you'll have to point out where you found it because that ain't in the one I'm readin.

s

smaller, feel free to explain to us how the 'sin that leads to death', and the 'sin that doesn't lead to death' are the same. And then explain how sharing that and other warnings in the Bible about sin is to be guilty of the devil's work.

I've put this fact up many times and it is and will remain rather STRANGE to me why believers can't see the fact of it when it's right in front of their eyes:

Read closely:

2 Corinthians 12:7
or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

Do you think that sometime you can possibly muster the ability to factually see Paul AND the messenger of Satan in Paul? Now, ask me your question above and TO WHOM will I point?

Paul or the messenger of Satan?

Can I say obviously that these matters are not just about 'Paul' and not just about 'us' as believers?

And when the PARTY IN RED gets out of hand, God can, does and will move us along out of the FLESH when it is over RUN by that other party. Happens all the time and eventually it happens to ALL of us because we all have SIN indwelling our flesh and SIN is of whom?

Uh, yeah.

THE DEVIL.

Is the DEVIL 'OSAS?' please.

If you want to observe the conversation factually then at least see that PAUL was OSAS and the messenger of Satan? NEVER.

There is a truthful picture for PAUL and for ALL.

A truthful picture that I happen to be grateful for and to observe to understand.

Now, given a 'choice' to JUDGE, which party would YOU look upon if you claimed you see accurately and have good Godly judgment in hand? Paul or the messenger of Satan?

This should be a slam dunk for you I would think.

But you see JB, that 'power' is also REAL and it keeps 'believers' from ACCURATE SIGHTS.

Now, hate me for showing you.

s

Here is Paul's method of dealing with 'dire sin' with a believer:

1 Corinthians 5:5
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Do you see Satan as the Savior there?

No.

When weeds overtake the soil, better to move the flower out of the dirt and into the ETERNAL BARN.

s

But what if the growth you're bringing into the 'eternal barn' is the thorns and thistles of unbelief? Unbelief defines that growth as being a weed, not a planting of God.

I hope God is not bringing unbelief into the kingdom of God. We won't be any better off there than we are here now if he does that. My Bible says the unbelieving will be outside of the kingdom, not inside of the 'eternal barn' (Revelation 21:8 NIV).

Your doctrine doesn't seem to line up well with scripture. :naughty

(Hey, are these new smilies, or have you been hiding them where us men can't find them...right under our noses? :lol)

But what if the growth you're bringing into the 'eternal barn' is the thorns and thistles of unbelief? Unbelief defines that growth as being a weed, not a planting of God.

Oh, you mean like THIS?

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

A lot of people think martyr's like Paul give up their heads for their faith.

There are other reasons they go happily to their deaths, being glad to rid themselves of their enemy.

I hope God is not bringing unbelief into the kingdom of God. We won't be any better off there than we are here now if he does that. My Bible says the unbelieving will be outside of the kingdom, not inside of the 'eternal barn' (Revelation 21:8 NIV).

If a LIAR with NO TRUTH in them told you "I believe," is he telling you the TRUTH?

Think about it and get back to me.

Your doctrine doesn't seem to line up well with scripture.

Prove it.

s

For a non-believer to come on a "Christian" forum and attempt to insult the faith of others, seems very odd to me?

It's even odder when you have believers who come to pounce on other believers saying God in Christ can not and will not save believers.

s
They always seem to have a "list" of some sins that "others" do? But they and their group can find an excuse for their sins?
Law and grace are a deadly mix? For it is the law that stirs up the sin in these people, and then they use grace as an excuse to cover their ungodly behavior,while they seek to condemn others.

s
They always seem to have a "list" of some sins that "others" do? But they and their group can find an excuse for their sins?

Indeed. That is 'a hallmark' of such sects. They 'insert fear' and then they 'sell a way out.'

Keeps the bread on the priest's tables.

Law and grace are a deadly mix?
They are meant to be a toxic brew. Against all sin and evil. IN this way they are both PERFECTLY ALIGNED.

and as you know I have no issues with Law in this way. and find it just as strange that 'believers' aren't of the same mind.

For it is the law that stirs up the sin in these people,
Uh, yeah, because it is THERE within to STIR. Avoiding the Law will not avoid that factual confrontation.

The Law is Spiritual. It can not be 'avoided.' It is ever in contentions with the powers of evil regardless of our facing the facts or not.

and then they use grace as an excuse to cover their ungodly behavior,while they seek to condemn others.
Yeah, well, hypocrisy is a very old game in religions.

Gotta say Christianity is one of the best.

s

"Was not Abraham our father [imputed actual righteousness by God] by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?"

"And in the same way was not also Rahab the harlot [imputed actual righteousness by God] by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?"

Does this accurately portray your view?

Yes, I think so.

Hummmm....I thought you believed in sola-fide? What I described above isn't, depending on your definition. If you interpret these verses the way I did above, James is saying that our works actually effect our justification. Is this what you believe?

We also know that Abraham was found righteous before this when he first received the Words of the Lord and trusted God to leave where he was and go to that place I call 'there' and he did know where 'there' was.

It was his belief (faith) that showed itself by just trusting God. If he hadn't gone there he would not have been trusting God.

Did he trust God when he took the handmaid Hagar? I think not. But I don't remember God condemning him for that. Did he loose his salvation? I think not.
Excellent observations. I think Abraham is an example of my view that justification is a process, not a one time event.

As you mention above, Abraham was "found righteous" in Gen. 12. I agree. Hebrews 11:8 says he went out by FAITH.

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place which he was to receive as an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was to go."

We know that Hebrews 11 is all about true, saving faith, so Abraham was justified in Gen. 12.

Now, much time passed, during which Abraham took Hagar as his concubine, to carry on his "inheritance". We get to chapter 15:

After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great." 2 But Abram said, "O Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?" 3 And Abram said, "Behold, thou hast given me no offspring; and a slave born in my house will be my heir." 4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, "This man shall not be your heir; your own son shall be your heir." 5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your descendants be." 6 And he believed the LORD; and he reckoned it to him as righteousness.

Paul tells us that Abraham was justified here, in Gen. 15, I'm sure we agree on this. So, what happened? Why was he "re-justified" in Gen 15? As you said, I think he doubted God's promise to "make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing." Instead, he took matters into his own hands, so to speak, and took Hagar to give him a progeny.

I think this act of doubt or even unbelief, broke communion with God, so Abraham had to be restored to God's good graces, which he did in Gen. 15. This is a Biblical example of justification as a process, not a one time event. Abraham AGAIN had to "believe God", that He could do what He said, in order to be justified. If he had continued to doubt, he wouldn't have been justified.

Back