Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Justified by the faith of Jesus Christ.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Saving Faith a Spiritual Principle of the Mind !

Faith of a Spiritual nature must be given or obtained [2 Pet 1:1] to make these spiritual Truths a reality to the mind.

Lets look at 2 Pet 1:1

1Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

How is it that the religionists believes precious Faith originates within the Natural Man ? Could anything proceeding from the unrenewed sinner be considered precious ?

This Faith is given to God's elect due to the Righteousness of God and Our Saviour Jesus Christ as benefit of His death unto the Children or Heirs of Promise, the seed of Abraham.

The word obtained is the greek word lagchanō and means:

to obtain by lot

a) to receive by divine allotment, obtain

2) to cast lots, determine by lot

Faith is given and received by lot or allotment which is an inheritance. Its an appointment.

to assign to one as his or her lot; allot.
. to divide into lots, as land.

You remember when the Children of Israel were receiving the promise land, God gave it to them in lots or allotments as per Joshua 14:

Joshua 14

1And these are the countries which the children of Israel inherited in the land of Canaan, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, distributed for inheritance to them.

2By lot was their inheritance, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes, and for the half tribe.

So you see, the land given as an Inheritance and by Lot was premised on God's Promise to Israel, and so likewise, the Children of Promise receive Faith as an Inheritance, a lot.

Its not of themselves its the gift of God, same principle as Eph 2:8, Faith is not of themselves, but the gift or inheritance, the Lot from God, through His Righteousness, just like it was through His righteousness that the Children of Israel obtained their Inheritance and lot of the Land promised.

This receiving is not an offer or something made available, but something administered by Divine Appointment. So thats what Peter means by His writing, to them not to all, but to them, The Heirs of Promise, who have obtained like or equal precious Faith with us. This is salvation Faith, its from God, and it reveals to them who receive it, their salvation.

Lets look at a few translations of this verse :

NIV Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

NLT This letter is from Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ. I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have. This faith was given to you because of the justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior.

ESV Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

NASB Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

BBE Simon Peter, a servant and Apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who with us have a part in the same holy faith in the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ:

DRB Simon Peter, servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained equal faith with us in the justice of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Notice the word Justice here, a legal term. Why ? Because of what Jesus Christ has done legally for all those He died for, justifying them by His blood Rom 5:9, they are rightfully alloted the Gift of Faith to be Justified [consciously] by Faith, that is to learn experientially, of their Justification. Thats the Just thing to do since God has been propitiated on their behalf by the blood of Christ.

After reading these scriptures, how can it not be seen that its True what Paul writes, that Faith , and I am sure He means like precious Faith as Peter does, is not of ourselves, but it is [along with all of salvation] the Gift of God, not of works [something I did] lest any man should boast. Thats what we have today, religious boasters, boasting about their faith, their believing as being the basis and ground of their salvation or Justification, What a surprise they will have in that Day , unless God delivers them from that evil .

Saving Faith a Spiritual Principle of the Mind !

But the knowledge of the truths of the gospel in their spirituality, is not imparted by, nor received from human teaching. Even after all the teaching which Christ had given His disciples while in the flesh, He had, after His resurrection, to open their understanding that they might understand the scriptures; that is, in their spiritual application to Him.

Luke 24:45

45Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

The same word for understand is used here also Matt 13:23

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

So this certainly implies a previous spiritual work of opening up the understanding is necessary to understand the scriptures, the Gospel, for is not the Gospel according to scriptures ? 1 Cor 15:3

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

And before this, when Peter confessed his faith in Christ as the Son of God; Jesus said unto him, Blessed art thou Simon Barjonah, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven; thus showing this knowledge [Faith in] of Jesus, was not natural, but direct revelation from the Father. Hence Paul says, "No man can say Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost." I Cor.12:3.

See also Paul's own experience in the case. Gal.1:11,12.
But why increase evidences on this point? For after all that men may do, in their attempts to make carnal and natural the gospel so as to make it a matter for human learning, the testimony of God will stand sure, that, "The natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God," and that, "Except a man be born again he cannot see [Spiritually understand] the things of the kingdom of God." I Cor 2:14 & John 3:3; Matt 24:14;Lk 18:10

Faith or Believing on Christ is the Work of God !

John 6:29

29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

I can't say whether Jesus answered these according to the exact sentiments of that their inquiry vs 28

28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

In any case, we find in this response of The Lord, it is intimated that Believing on Him is a work, it is an act of the Mind and Heart Rom 10:9-10

Yes, Man must Believe, its His act.

But it's not the work of man to believe,but the Work of God for man to Believe on Christ.

Faith or Believing on Christ is the Work of God, That is God the Holy Spirit. Christ pointed to this work of God the Holy Spirit in John 16:8-9

8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

God the Holy Spirit works Faith within God's Elect world, because they by Nature they do not believe in Him, as characterized by the religious jews in His day, So God the Holy Spirit works His fruit of Faith in them Gal 5:22

22But the fruit [result or effect] of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

The word fruit also means work

So it could read, but the work of the Spirit is Love,joy,peace,longsuffering,gentleness,and Faith or believing or faithfulness.

This confirms John 6:29 that the work of God [ The Holy Spirit] is that ye believe on Him that He hath sent.

Faith is a Spiritual principle of Grace !

Heb 11:1

1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Many religionists of our day, and no doubt, days before, think that they are saved or Justified before God legally and Eternally by the exercising of their natural faith. They quickly resort to scriptures like Eph 2:8 or Rom 5:1 to prove a point that is no point at all, except in their fleshly minds.

The Faith that is indicative of Salvation, that is Evidence of Salvation gives to its possessor the ability to believe something to be real that is either spiritually true or supernaturally true. Just read through the accounts in the 11th Chapter of Hebrews.

Not only do they believe it, but they are persuaded .

Now the faith that can do this, that can present unseen things to the mind, and compel the mind to rest upon them as present realities, must be a living principle, and has a ability independent of anything belonging to the natural mind.

It is not the same as that belief which is an exercise of the natural mind, and which is given rise to by instruction, or external evidence, acting upon the mind and convincing the judgment of the truth of the thing. In this we may be assisted in drawing the distinction between the living and dead faith, in their essences, which James speaks of in James 2:17

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

This is speaking of the quality of saving Faith, that it has spiritually ordained works wrought within. Isa 26:12

LORD, thou wilt ordain peace for us: for thou also hast wrought all our works in us.

Now compare James 2:22

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? See also Eph 2:10

BTW, those who insist that they are Justified by Faith before God, they are actually saying they are Justified by their works before God, sense True Faith is wrought with works.

That the dead faith, cannot be the faith which is of the operation of God ! Col 2:12

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Faith is God's work or operation by His Grace in the quickened sinner.

The Translation I prefer for Col 2:12 is WNT having been buried with Him in your baptism, in which you were also raised with Him through faith produced within you by God who raised Him from among the dead.

Yes, Faith is produced within us who are believers by God the Holy Spirit, so its the work of God John 6:29

If Faith that saves is not a living spiritual principle, then its natural or dead faith one claims to be saved by or Justified before God by. Dead Faith can also be defined as Faith that is not the producing of the Spirit of God, but faith from a dead man, would not dead faith be appropriate for one who is yet dead in sin ? How could it not be. Dead works is the product of one who is dead in sin Heb 9:14

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

This is also showing the folly of those who do not believe or accept the biblical Truth of New Birth before Faith, Spiritual Life before Spiritual Faith.

Savedbygrace57

Ro 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that YOUR FAITH is spoken of throughout the whole world

1Co 2:5 That YOUR FAITH should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God

1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, YOUR FAITH is vain; ye are yet in your sins

2Co 10:15 Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men’s labours; but having hope, when YOUR FAITH is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of YOUR FAITH in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints

Col 1:4 Since we heard of YOUR FAITH in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints

1Th 3:10 Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in YOUR FAITH

2Th 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that YOUR FAITH groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth

Jas 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of YOUR FAITH worketh patience

1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of YOUR FAITH, even the salvation of your souls

1Pe 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that YOUR FAITH and hope might be in God

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to YOUR FAITH virtue; and to virtue knowledge

FC

Savedbygrace57

Ro 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that YOUR FAITH is spoken of throughout the whole world

1Co 2:5 That YOUR FAITH should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God
1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, YOUR FAITH is vain; ye are yet in your sins

2Co 10:15 Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men’s labours; but having hope, when YOUR FAITH is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of YOUR FAITH in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints

Col 1:4 Since we heard of YOUR FAITH in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints

1Th 3:10 Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in YOUR FAITH

2Th 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that YOUR FAITH groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth

Jas 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of YOUR FAITH worketh patience

1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of YOUR FAITH, even the salvation of your souls

1Pe 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that YOUR FAITH and hope might be in God

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to YOUR FAITH virtue; and to virtue knowledge

FC
Just emboldened some key points.

God given confidence !

Faith as it is used in scripture in relation to salvation, is that God given confidence believing sinners have in the Lord Jesus Christ, upon Him being revealed to them by the Gospel, that He is their Righteousness before God [2 Cor 5:21].

Rom 1:16-17

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The last post was well written. One important point needs to be added: the faith that saves is the faith that obeys. I do not know of any time in scripture when faith was blessed before it obeyed.

The last post was well written. One important point needs to be added: the faith that saves is the faith that obeys. I do not know of any time in scripture when faith was blessed before it obeyed.

Yes it obeys, but thats not why they are saved, thats just an evidence. Everyone who is obeying the Son gives evidence that He is being the Author of their Salvation Heb 5:9

9And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

If one never in this life comes to be obedient to the Son and His Gospel, then that is evidence He was not the Author of their salvation and that He did not die for them..

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus did indeed die for them, but he is not the author of their salvation because they HAD no salvation because they DID NOT obey Him.

Jesus did indeed die for them, but he is not the author of their salvation because they HAD no salvation because they DID NOT obey Him.

You serve a different jesus from the One I know and serve. His death causes those He died for to become obedient. The Jesus I serve, those being obedient is because He is the author of it.

Heb 5:9

9And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

That word author means: Greek word:

aitios:

that which is the cause of anything resides, causative, causing

The Jesus I serve is the One prophesied in the OT, lived under its law, was crucified and raised from the dead and established His church on the first Pentecost following His resurrection. This one I serve! I have not found in His word what teach. Certainliy Heb.5:8,9 which you continue to quote does not teach what you say it does.

Yes it obeys, but thats not why they are saved, thats just an evidence. Everyone who is obeying the Son gives evidence that He is being the Author of their Salvation Heb 5:9

If one never in this life comes to be obedient to the Son and His Gospel, then that is evidence He was not the Author of their salvation and that He did not die for them..

You are yet again twisting the Scriptures with false logic. Simply reading what is there would benefit you greatly...

Disobedience is NOT evidence that Christ did not die for them. That is NOT what the passage says. It speaks of OBEDIENCE and what that leads to - entrance to the Kingdom, just as the Lord states in Mat 7:21. It does NOT follow that disobedience = Christ did not die for them!!! YOU add that in there on a faulty leap of logic. It means that the disobedient rejected the gift given to all mankind, since Christ is the second Adam, not the second Moses or David or some other manifestation of "Israel" alone. MANKIND was reconciled to God on God's initiative, not just the elect.

For God so loved the world (not just Calvinists), that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever (not just Calvinists) believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Regards

How can one obtain Faith ?

Faith that is relevant to Salvation, how does one come about it ? For scripture plainly indicates that it is not of ones ownself that we have it Eph 2:8

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Well First of All, Faith is obtained or given only to God's Elect, hence its called the Faith of God's Elect

Titus 1: 1Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

For all men have not Faith 2 Thess 3:2

1Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:

2And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

Only those of the Election of Grace are given Faith.

Through the Righteousness of God and our Saviour !

Faith is obtained, not from ourselves, but from the or by the Righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ, if He be one's Saviour indeed ! 2 Pet 1:1

1Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Yet, the religious world promotes that their faith is from themselves and it is what God accepts as righteousness for them to get saved !

But Saving or Faith that accompanies Salvation or conversion is obtained by means outside of the ones possessing it according to Peter here under the inspiration of the Spirit of God.

Through the Righteousness of God and our Saviour !

Faith is obtained, not from ourselves, but from the or by the Righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ, if He be one's Saviour indeed ! 2 Pet 1:1

Yet, the religious world promotes that their faith is from themselves and it is what God accepts as righteousness for them to get saved !

The "religious world", said with some sort of negative connotation, says no such thing. Where exactly do you find outright Pelagian statements made by modern theologians? Where do you find in Christian theology "I have all I need to be saved, I don't need God's grace"?... Can you give me even ONE such example of something CLOSE to that statement? If not, perhaps you should retract your fallacious statement.

The problem is with your apparent inability to read nuanced statements, taking them to be either "black" or "white", OR, "God does everything" OR "Man does everything". With this inadequate view of theology, you conclude that anyone who states that man's response is important in matters of faith AUTOMATICALLY places them into the Pelagian camp. Another part of the problem is purposely ignoring statements that DO tell us that "our" faith is important to our salvation. Have you read Matt 5:20???? I would be hard pressed to list all of the statements that imply that faith is AT LEAST is in part man's reaction and response to God. The very idea that man's faith is weighed by God in matters of salvation tells us that man, at some level, is held accountable to what he yields to or rejects in matters that God grants grace.

It is important to take in ALL that the Bible says on such issues as synergy, rather than your narrow view of things, pigeon-holing everything into either "God does it" or "man does it". The Bible clearly points out another alternative; God and man work together.

Regards

The "religious world", said with some sort of negative connotation, says no such thing. Where exactly do you find outright Pelagian statements made by modern theologians? Where do you find in Christian theology "I have all I need to be saved, I don't need God's grace"?... Can you give me even ONE such example of something CLOSE to that statement? If not, perhaps you should retract your fallacious statement.

The problem is with your apparent inability to read nuanced statements, taking them to be either "black" or "white", OR, "God does everything" OR "Man does everything". With this inadequate view of theology, you conclude that anyone who states that man's response is important in matters of faith AUTOMATICALLY places them into the Pelagian camp. Another part of the problem is purposely ignoring statements that DO tell us that "our" faith is important to our salvation. Have you read Matt 5:20???? I would be hard pressed to list all of the statements that imply that faith is AT LEAST is in part man's reaction and response to God. The very idea that man's faith is weighed by God in matters of salvation tells us that man, at some level, is held accountable to what he yields to or rejects in matters that God grants grace.

It is important to take in ALL that the Bible says on such issues as synergy, rather than your narrow view of things, pigeon-holing everything into either "God does it" or "man does it". The Bible clearly points out another alternative; God and man work together.

Regards
Dear Joe as I nave been unable to PM you due to your log being full I have searched you out on this thread to inform you. Of course I find you debating some degree of responsibility according to man's sovereignty to support the accountability we will give to God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Joe as I nave been unable to PM you due to your log being full I have searched you out on this thread to inform you. Of course I find you debating some degree of responsibility according to man's sovereignty to support the accountability we will give to God.

Sorry, I'll take care of that now.

Joe

Acts 18:27

27And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

Faith in Christ is the effectual work of God's Grace through the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Eph 1:19,20

19And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

The exceeding greatness of His Power to us-ward who believe according to the working of His mighty Power !

If you omit the comma punctuation between the words believe and according, then you get the truth of what paul is writing here.

The one believing does so in accordance with the with the working of God's Mighty Power.

The DRB reads :And what is the exceeding greatness of his power towards us, who believe according to the operation of the might of his power,

God puts forth the same power to work Faith or believing in us as He did when He raised Christ from the Dead !

Now what Power is this ? How did God raise His Son from the Dead ? 1 Pet 3:18

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Now who can deny that this verse is speaking of the resurrection of Christ when it says but quickened by the Spirit ?

The word quickened here is the greek word zoopoieo:

to produce alive, begat or bear living young

2) to cause to live, make alive, give life

a) by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate

So Christ was raised from the dead by the Spiritual Power of God the Holy Spirit !

Its that same power that works in one causing them to believe.

This was a Covenant Blessing Heb 13:20-21

20Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

21Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

See that ? Working in you that which is well pleasing in His sight. What can be more plainer ? That word working is the greek word poieō and means:

to make one do something

1) cause one to

to be the authors of, the cause

The Holy Spirit, the Power of God, causes us to believe, He is the author of our believing of our Faith, and since He is sent on a special mission for Christ in this matter, so it is Christ also who is the Author of our Faith or believing Heb 12:2

Now many today reject this Truth of scripture and contribute believing in Christ as the freewill choice of man, hence after doing, secures upon himself Eternal Salvation and consequently the final glory goes to himself. Thats to say the least against Christ, and against The power and Spirit of God.

Faith is by the Operation of God !

A very similar scripture to Eph 1:19 as to how the elect believe, is Col 2:12

12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Now the baptism here is not water baptism, but baptism with Him when He died Rom 6:3-4. Remember Jesus told His disciples, that they had a baptism to be baptized with ? Matt 20:23

And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Now having been baptized with Him in His death, as God raised Him from the grave, we [believers] were raised up with by that same power of God. Its this operation that causes Faith or believing.

Here is a Translation that gives the proper sense of the verse: Weymouth Translation:

having been buried with Him in your baptism, in which you were also raised with Him through faith produced within you by God who raised Him from among the dead.

This confirms the Fact that Faith is a fruit [production ] of God the Holy Spirit. Gal 5:22

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Many don't understand the word fruit here. Its the word karpos and means:

that which originates or comes from something, an effect, result

And the word effect of course means:

power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence

So clearly again we should be able to see that Faith is a Gift of the inward working and Power or Operation of the Holy Spirit to all for whom Christ died.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back