Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lying

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Were those hiding Jews during the Holocaust sinning when they lied to the police?
Those Jews did not have faith in Jesus Christ.
How about, did the Christians who died in the arena by being eaten by lions, should they have lied and said they weren't Christians?
Everything in perspective.

Those who helped hide the Jews were Christians. At least, some of them were. Corrie Ten Boom is an example.

Speaking of that, there is an example in her account of this where her sister once did refuse to lie in answering a direct question by the German police. It's been a while since I read it, but if I recall they thought she was joking because they couldn't find anything(?).
Still, they hid Jews in their house a long time before getting caught and getting taken to the camps over it.

Any of you know of any Christian husband who would say, "Yes, Honey, those pants make your rear end look like the state of Montana." ? I'm fairly sure they would lie, instead. I know I would.
I'd rather he told me the truth so I wouldn't go out looking like the state of Montana!!!!

Those Jews did not have faith in Jesus Christ.
How about, did the Christians who died in the arena by being eaten by lions, should they have lied and said they weren't Christians?
Everything in perspective.
There were Jewish people that had converted to Christianity in Germany during that time. Not sure how many though?

What would you do Jeff, get eaten by lions or lie?
I would tell the truth about being a Christian and get eaten by lions. If I was hiding a Jewish person in my home in Germany during the time when the Gestapo was out looking for Jewish people (by race) and I had to make the decision to lie in order to protect that persons life, I would lie. Hitler claimed to be a Christian to win over the people's support for his agenda. Many people were foolish enough to go along with him and saw him as their "Moses" leading them to the promised land that they had lost in the previous war. There were probably a lot of patriotic Germans who thought it was the "Christian" thing to do to turn in Jews to the Nazi's

Any of you know of any Christian husband who would say, "Yes, Honey, those pants make your rear end look like the state of Montana." ? I'm fairly sure they would lie, instead. I know I would.
Actually I would want my partner to tell the truth. He may be a little more diplomatic about it though. ;-)
Well I get the joke about wifes being unwilling to hear the truth to a question they asked. But in reality the husband would risk that his wife makes a fool out if herself wearing inappropriate stuff. It'd be more loving he'd tell the truth and accept that she may not be happy to hear it - but it's better than a flattering lie.

A few weeks ago I've been lied to (on a very important issue, way more important than what my buttocks look like) by someone who I thought was a close friend. I feel hurt and betrayed and while I think I will forgive him in time I'll probably never be able to trust him again. That friendship may never recover. There were more problems involved than just that lie, but the lie was what pushed things over the edge. It's darkening my heart these days and it hurts just as bad as a love break-up.

Lying has no business in close relationships.
Except maybe when you're planning a surprise for the other person and have to cover it up for a while or something like that, but that's a whole lot different.

Last edited:
Abraham and his wife.... but maybe they are excused because Christianity was not yet.

I do recall Jesus telling his brothers He was not going to a festival, then going... but of course, technically, Jesus was not a Christian.

Jesus didn't lie. Let's read it:

John 7:8
8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come./

Then he went up later because he wanted to sneak in and not walk in with the others and be seen.

I agree with you that it was not a deceptive lie. But you also might like to check out several other translations. I looked at 6 or 8, and the only one I found saying "yet" was the KJV and the HCSB.

Go ahead. Click on your posted scripture, then open each version listed there at the top.

I agree with you that it was not a deceptive lie. But you also might like to check out several other translations. I looked at 6 or 8, and the only one I found saying "yet" was the KJV and the HCSB.

Go ahead. Click on your posted scripture, then open each version listed there at the top.
And that's why some of us trust the KJV... I don't like reading it, but I do reference it when I study.

Brother, there's a slew of ways to answer that question without lying. If the man is so unimaginative to resort to lying when she asks that question...well, I feel sorry for him. I had to answer that question a few times and didn't lie or die, lol.

And that's why some of us trust the KJV... I don't like reading it, but I do reference it when I study.
Because an old King had the word "Authorized" stamped on it? The KJV has been shown to be mistaken on way too many points to think it can be trusted.

Back