Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

MATT 2:34 "This generation will not pass away" ... What did Jesus mean?

Jesus, in Mathew 24 & 25 is answering a question, that was asked by His disciples.So He has the responsibility to answer them in such a way that they learn the answer, not only them but us as well, to whom the answer pertains, or as Paul said, to whom "the ends of the ages have come upon"[1 Cor 10:11].

Jesus concludes His "overall view", that gives a general description of events that lead up to the end, in verse's 13,14.

13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Now, in verse 15, The Lord is "switching gears" by giving a more specific account of the end.By using the word "Therefore", He is defining what He is about to say from what He has just said.

"When you see" defines the group of people that will experience what He is now saying. This description flows from when He first says "when you see"
to the end of His explanation, which ends with "when you see", and defines that to "this generation". The generation that see's these things, will see The Lord Come.

15 "Therefore when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place" (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened. 23 Then if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There!' do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 Therefore if they say to you, 'Look, He is in the desert!' do not go out; or 'Look, He is in the inner rooms!' do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together. 29 "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. 32 "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.

The generation that see's the fig tree bloom again will see the detailed events of the Lord's return!

JLB

Jesus concludes His "overall view", that gives a general description of events that lead up to the end, in verse's 13,14.

13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Rom 1:8
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

Rom 10:18
But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Rom 1:8 [/B]First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Hi,

Bless you sister.

Did you understand my point?

Thanks, JLB

JLB I think i did but you are new here ( WELCOME) so please feel free to spell it out!

When all we have are words on a screen understanding is not always at it's best...

JLB I think i did but you are new here ( WELCOME) so please feel free to spell it out!

When all we have are words on a screen understanding is not always at it's best...

The generation that see's the fig tree bloom again will see the detailed events of the Lord's return!

The "fig tree" blooming, being the nation of Israel being "reborn" in May of 1948.

JLB

So what is the Biblical time of a generation. How many years...
You are new so i will give you a bit of background for your understanding of my thoughts...

I am 65 I remember 1955 .. One does not remember every thing from when they are 9-10 but raised in a christian home one would remember the talk of rapture and His return the tribulation etc ..1955 was 7 years after the forming of the state of Israel .... 7 the number of completion so for sure he was returning about then... we know it did not happen 1948...
So lets jump 40 years, the time of the exodus/generation. 1988 OK not yet...

God is not wrong He is always correct it is mans understanding that gets mixed up.

You posted this verse along with others
scripture says this....

Rom 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

So what was the end Jesus was speaking of?

So what is the Biblical time of a generation. How many years...
You are new so i will give you a bit of background for your understanding of my thoughts...

I am 65 I remember 1955 .. One does not remember every thing from when they are 9-10 but raised in a christian home one would remember the talk of rapture and His return the tribulation etc ..1955 was 7 years after the forming of the state of Israel .... 7 the number of completion so for sure he was returning about then... we know it did not happen 1948...
So lets jump 40 years, the time of the exodus/generation. 1988 OK not yet...

God is not wrong He is always correct it is mans understanding that gets mixed up.

You posted this verse along with others scripture says this....

Rom 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

So what was the end Jesus was speaking of?

The end Jesus was speaking of, was the end of the age.

He was answering the question put to Him by His disciples.

And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" Matthew 24:3

JLB

I am asking you to please explain what age you are thinking of.

I agee it was the age... to me it was the age of Temple worship. The whole Jewish system of worship. The sorta begining of all the Cross has to offer.

I am asking you to please explain what age you are thinking of.

I agee it was the age... to me it was the age of Temple worship. The whole Jewish system of worship. The sorta begining of all the Cross has to offer.

The sign of your coming and the end of the age.

The end of the age of the "kingdoms of this world", The beginning of the age of the kingdom of God in complete dominion over the earth.

JLB

That end was the beginning of salvation going beyond the Hebrews. The gospel would now be nation/world wide! No more isolated to one group of folks.

The "fig tree" blooming, being the nation of Israel being "reborn" in May of 1948.

JLB

Might pay to read Luke's gospel...

Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they put forth leaves...Luke 21:29-31 (NASB)

This fig tree in this passage (or the passages in Matthew and Mark) isn't Israel and the parable offered here isn't about Israel's restoration. It's about Jerusalem's destruction. Read it again in context from Luke's gospel.

Might pay to read Luke's gospel...

Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they put forth leaves...Luke 21:29-31 (NASB)

This fig tree in this passage (or the passages in Matthew and Mark) isn't Israel and the parable offered here isn't about Israel's restoration. It's about Jerusalem's destruction. Read it again in context from Luke's gospel.

The context is "The return of The Lord and the end of the age".

33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. 36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

The generation that sees the things He has described, will see His return!

His return marks the end of the age when -

... afterward those who are Christ's at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power.

The end of the age, when the kingdoms of this world, become the kingdoms of our Lord and His Christ!

That's the context!

JLB

Luk 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Jesus said this....

Luk 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
Luk 22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
Luk 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Luk 24:40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
Luk 24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
Luk 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
Luk 24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

There must be a good reason the above verses are recorded...

Luk 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Jesus said this....

Luk 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
Luk 22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
Luk 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Luk 24:40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
Luk 24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
Luk 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
Luk 24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

There must be a good reason the above verses are recorded...

The reason these scriptures are recorded, are to teach us about the kingdom!

First of all you took a verse from Luke 9, before Jesus was crucified and resurrected and mingled it with some verse's that are Jesus speaking after His resurrection. You must have a good reason for taking a scripture a scriptural context and blending it with another.

I would like to know your reason for doing so, before I continue.

JLB

The reason these scriptures are recorded, are to teach us about the kingdom!

First of all you took a verse from Luke 9, before Jesus was crucified and resurrected and mingled it with some verse's that are Jesus speaking after His resurrection. You must have a good reason for taking a scripture a scriptural context and blending it with another.

I would like to know your reason for doing so, before I continue.

JLB

taken from His words...before his Crucifixion He said
I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. After the resurrection He ....Luk 24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

My question would be was it fulfilled int he Kingdom of God? the next question is what is the Kingdom of God and my answer is
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

JLB I am not real good with words i am trying to be clear

taken from His words...before his Crucifixion He said
I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. After the resurrection He ....Luk 24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

My question would be was it fulfilled int he Kingdom of God? the next question is what is the Kingdom of God and my answer is
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

JLB I am not real good with words i am trying to be clear

Okay, so you are trying to infer that - the kingdom of God is not what we think or that the kingdom of God is within us?

There is the kingdom of God that is within us, that is spiritual and influences us, while the kingdoms of this world are in dominion with Satan in control, then there is the time of Jesus' return when He puts an end to all rule and authority. His Kingdom and Government shall be in dominion over the whole earth as He instructed Adam and Eve.

20 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; 21 nor will they say, 'See here!' or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." 22 Then He said to the disciples, "The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. 23 And they will say to you, 'Look here!' or 'Look there!' Do not go after them or follow them. 24 For as the lightning that flashes out of one part under heaven shines to the other part under heaven, so also the Son of Man will be in His day. 25 But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation. 26 And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man:

When He returns, The kingdoms of this world shall become the kingdoms of our Lord and His Christ, so that the knowledge of the glory of the Lord shall cover the earth as the waters cover the sea.

It won't be just "in you" but it will come, [thy kingdom come] and cover the earth and you will be "in it".

The generation that sees the abomination of desolation, which is to say the last temple rebuilt, will see the return of The Lord Jesus Christ!

JLB

JLB What was accomplished at the Cross?

You use the word infer... Is God via His Word inferring or is making a statement of fact...

Was Jesus Himself inferring when He said He would not until then tell us He ate?

Are you looking for the same kind of kingship the Jewish folks were 2000 years ago and they missed it.
One that would have freed them for the Roman rule.

My View ...the generation of His day say from the time of the Cross to the destruction of Jerusalem. Was 'this' generation.... From the time of the Cross the gospel has gone out to all the world it was no longer held to the small group of His Chosen Israelites. I dont believe the Cross had little value and satan is in control. 2000 years ago about how many Christians were there and how many today?

JLB What was accomplished at the Cross?

You use the word infer... Is God via His Word inferring or is making a statement of fact...

Was Jesus Himself inferring when He said He would not until then tell us He ate?

Are you looking for the same kind of kingship the Jewish folks were 2000 years ago and they missed it.
One that would have freed them for the Roman rule.

My View ...the generation of His day say from the time of the Cross to the destruction of Jerusalem. Was 'this' generation.... From the time of the Cross the gospel has gone out to all the world it was no longer held to the small group of His Chosen Israelites. I dont believe the Cross had little value and satan is in control. 2000 years ago about how many Christians were there and how many today?

My discussion and the references I have made pertain to Matthew 24:34 -

Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.

I don't think you and I are on the same page.

Jesus prefaces this statement by saying -

"Therefore when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place" (whoever reads, let him understand),

This statement has nothing to do with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Are we talking about the same thing, the thread discussion is - "This generation will not pass away" ... What did Jesus mean?

Thats what my discussion topic is about.

Thanks, JLB

I think we are talking about the same thing... We just see it from a different angle

I see 'this generation" to be the generation of folks He was talking to...As in you are talking a group of friends talking about some of the stuff that happens today... Man this generation is NUTS.

Our different views on 'this generation' are not unto salvation. They are very much an interesting topic...

I was once into the same line of thinking as you are....

Are we talking about the same thing, the thread discussion is - "This generation will not pass away" ... What did Jesus mean?

Thats what my discussion topic is about.

I am a moderator i do not wish to derail your thread so i will bow out.

I think we are talking about the same thing... We just see it from a different angle

I see 'this generation" to be the generation of folks He was talking to...As in you are talking a group of friends talking about some of the stuff that happens today... Man this generation is NUTS.

Our different views on 'this generation' are not unto salvation. They are very much an interesting topic...

I was once into the same line of thinking as you are....

I am a moderator i do not wish to derail your thread so i will bow out.

Rather than blow out, help me to know where you are coming from.

The position from which I am coming is founded on the truth of Jesus words.

"Therefore when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place" (whoever reads, let him understand),

If one sees this to mean the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD, then by all means He is talking to the present generation. However we see from His words, that is not the topic.

Could we discuss this?

JLB

Back