Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Message to GOD"S elect

The blatantly obvious point, in case anyone can't see it... Is that we are FREE to surrender our will so that His will is done.

The Spirit of God doesn't drag anyone to Christ as so many are taught in Calvinism... The Spirit is depicted as a DOVE to show how gentle He is.
Eventide, the Holy Spirit was described as a dove for a reason, yes. But much is written and known about the Holy Spirit, that convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment. It was through the power of the Holy Spirit that some died at Peters rebuke, that some where made blind at the rebuke of Paul. He is gentle unto the humble and honest but the conviction and judgment he brings upon those in pride is well able to break the "self-will". Now I do not believe some are saved and elect, because they claim some doctrine, but because they have the Holy Spirit. "free-will" is not the biblical standard, The Cross and Gods Will as one "walks in the Spirit" is the biblical standard. "free to surrender" is not "free-will" We surrender because we know our will is not Gods will. The term "free-will" is just biblical ignorance.

The blatantly obvious point, in case anyone can't see it... Is that we are FREE to surrender our will so that His will is done.

The Spirit of God doesn't drag anyone to Christ as so many are taught in Calvinism... The Spirit is depicted as a DOVE to show how gentle He is.
Eventide, the Holy Spirit was described as a dove for a reason, yes. But much is written and known about the Holy Spirit, that convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment. It was through the power of the Holy Spirit that some died at Peters rebuke, that some where made blind at the rebuke of Paul. He is gentle unto the humble and honest but the conviction and judgment he brings upon those in pride is well able to break the "self-will". Now I do not believe some are saved and elect, because they claim some doctrine, but because they have the Holy Spirit. "free-will" is not the biblical standard, The Cross and Gods Will as one "walks in the Spirit" is the biblical standard. "free to surrender" is not "free-will" We surrender because we know our will is not Gods will. The term "free-will" is just biblical ignorance.

Lot of words here George... So to make sure I'm not putting words in your mouth... Are you suggesting that you are not free to surrender your will to God's will ? Are you going to say that you were forced to surrender your will... Like for example, that it's irresistable ?

Lot of words here George... So to make sure I'm not putting words in your mouth... Are you suggesting that you are not free to surrender your will to God's will ? Are you going to say that you were forced to surrender your will... Like for example, that it's irresistable ?

I believe you see the clear point, but in our attempt to defend this unbiblical term, you attempt to make a unbiblical point. Free to surrender, is not free-will. It is to surrender the will to the Will of God. For me I consider my personal salvation to product of the overwhelming power of Gods Spirit and judgment against my "self-will" Paul would make this point as well, walking in his "free-will" he was brought unto the will of God, by Gods great and mighty power. This is true salvation, being "born-again" is a overwhelming act of Gods Will and power. For a group to somehow take credit for their own salvation, is just the supreme arrogance of mans flesh. Broken and humbled are the doors of salvation, those who claim they have walked unto the gates of salvation, upright in their own will, have not entered into the Kingdom of God, but have entered into mans religion. Unless one becomes as a child, they cannot enter.

You're the elect of God because you trusted Christ like every other Christian and was then baptized into the body of the one who is the elect, The Lord Jesus Christ.

I surrendered to Christ just as Paul did, just as the scriptures demand. I was baptized and sealed by the Holy Spirit, not by my will but by the will of God. According to the truth of scripture, I am elect, not based upon my will but Gods Will. Free-will proves man is disobedient nothing more, and it is a very unbiblical term to describe any aspect of a true Christian walk. It is a product of mans religion and mans carnal pride, and cannot be defended in a biblical debate. The Cross of Christ demands that every man and mans "will" bow to His Death, and walk in the "will" of Gods Spirit,(In HIS LIFE) this is the true faith, all else is just a bunch of nonsense created in the carnal mind of mans religion.

According to the truth of scripture, I am elect, not based upon my will but Gods Will.

That's true, you're the elect of God IN CHRIST, not because you we're unconditionally chosen, but rather because you trusted in Christ and was then baptized into the BODY of CHRIST by the power of the Holy Spirit.

As for you George, you are dead. You are crucified with Christ and nevertheless live, yet not You, but rather Christ in you.

See, it's not Christ and you, it's Christ in you.

Enormous difference to say the least.

IMO this is very simple to understand, although regardless of that my guess is simply that men can't accept it because it would mean that they were misled, or deceived, or they didn't quite understand correctly... Which are all perfectly normal Christian experiences...

edited

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the truth of scripture, I am elect, not based upon my will but Gods Will.

That's true, you're the elect of God IN CHRIST, not because you we're unconditionally chosen, but rather because you trusted in Christ and was then baptized into the BODY of CHRIST by the power of the Holy Spirit.

As for you George, you are dead. You are crucified with Christ and nevertheless live, yet not You, but rather Christ in you.

Eventide, if Election is on the basis of 100% Christ, then the conditions are 0% in us. Then since there are not conditions in us, it is unconditional election. I am guessing you might consider using the often repeated straw man argument here that then those that believe in unconditional election deny that one must have faith to be saved. Of course it is painfully obvious that this accusation is a false charge. We believe. We have faith. We have faith because we are elected to have faith. It was out there by God who elected us. Then election is totally by the will of God, or monergistic and God is fully responsible for salvation and should receive all the glory and credit for salvation.

On the other hand, if election is on the basis of foreseen faith, then election is synergistic, and election is by Christ and us together. It is then the synergistic cooperation of two wills. Then, of course, God is at least partially responsible for our salvation, and should receive at least partial credit for our salvation, and receive at least partial accolades for his part in our salvation. The rest of the glory should then go to the person who contributed faith to receive his election and salvation.

To God be all glory, and honor. Salvation, and election are of him alone.

Mondar

It's not complicated...

It's like what's better...

Christ being the Saviour of all men, or some men.

See, it's not complicated ;-)

We have faith because we are elected to have faith. It was out there by God who elected us. Then election is totally by the will of God, or monergistic and God is fully responsible for salvation and should receive all the glory and credit for salvation.

On the other hand, if election is on the basis of foreseen faith, then election is synergistic, and election is by Christ and us together. It is then the synergistic cooperation of two wills. Then, of course, God is at least partially responsible for our salvation, and should receive at least partial credit for our salvation, and receive at least partial accolades for his part in our salvation. The rest of the glory should then go to the person who contributed faith to receive his election and salvation.

On the one hand - kudos to you - you explained your theology better than I have ever seen ANYONE explain it before.
On the other hand, - what you have done is twist and torment the Gift that is Jesus' sacrifice unlike I have seen since Charles Manson or David Korish. (Not sure on "Korish" for spelling.)

We are the elect of God from begining to end and belong to Our Lord and Saviour now and forever.

We BECOME the elect when we choose to submit to the Lordship of the Elect One, and BECOME one with the Elect One.

JLB

Eventide, if Election is on the basis of 100% Christ, then the conditions are 0% in us. Then since there are not conditions in us, it is unconditional election. I am guessing you might consider using the often repeated straw man argument here that then those that believe in unconditional election deny that one must have faith to be saved. Of course it is painfully obvious that this accusation is a false charge. We believe. We have faith. We have faith because we are elected to have faith. It was out there by God who elected us. Then election is totally by the will of God, or monergistic and God is fully responsible for salvation and should receive all the glory and credit for salvation.

To God be all glory, and honor. Salvation, and election are of him alone.

Mondar

so you believe and have faith. How is it non-meritorious for you? How Do you know?

I believe and have faith. How is it meritorious for me? How do you know?

Faith is a perception that has no merit in and of itself.

I see a red car and have faith that it is red. There is no merit on my part for having faith that that car is red.

God tore the barrier down for mankind through the Cross of Christ. Man can believe what God Did for him or not. And there is no merit on our part for believing in what he did for us.

Man can believe what God Did for him or not. And there is no merit on our part for believing in what he did for us.

I seem to remember reading, SOMEWHERE about a man's faith: ".... and God counted it to him as righteousness...."

Now where did I read that....? I don't THINK it was People Magazine...

Romans 4:3 What does Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

See? I KNEW it wasn't People Magazine... silly me! ;)

Back