Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions about the bible.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Curious

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?

Who is consigning the creation event to "allegory" or "figurative"? Certainly not I. And I never said that certain books or chapters of the bible aren't really from God. Perhaps I misinterpreted your post...
It was a word-idea that WIP introduced into the thread.
What I did say was that if one uses Western empirical logic to understand the creation account (and other parts of the Bible), s/he will run into trouble. The Bible is a spiritual collection of ancient writings that can only be understood with the help of the Holy Spirit.
Using faith works a lot better than man's failed devices.
Ephesians 1:17-19, "I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, will give you spiritual wisdom and revelation in your growing knowledge of him, —since the eyes of your heart have been enlightened—so that you can know what is the hope of his calling what is the wealth of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the incomparable greatness of his power toward us who believe, as displayed in the exercise of his immense strength."
Note: isn't "the eyes of your heart" a truly magnificent phrase?
I guess it is safe to say then, that those who do not believe the creation account, or the Jonah and the whale account, don't yet have the spirit of wisdom and revelation.

I don't necessarily think that is a forgone conclusion.
A subject for another time, perhps.
My point, Curious, is that it is not necessary for us to dwell on any one particular event. From my reading and listening of Scripture, it is my belief that the primary focus of it all is to know God and in knowing God we also know Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The message is clear. Love and trust Jesus with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and when we understand that love we also understand and embrace the love of others for these two commandments go hand-in-hand.
I agree with that "point" of/for scripture.
We will all grow in grace and knowledge as we draw closer to God.

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?
Nope, but it would help you to understand His Word.

It was a word-idea that WIP introduced into the thread.

Using faith works a lot better than man's failed devices.

I guess it is safe to say then, that those who do not believe the creation account, or the Jonah and the whale account, don't yet have the spirit of wisdom and revelation.
No, it's the people who understand the creation stories and the story of Jonah and the large fish have the spirit of wisdom and revelation.

I think that starting at Genesis you keep the main thing the main thing .
Meaning what brought you to the bible & Genesis in the first place ?
Was it to receive a spirit that teaches how the earth was formed or a serpent could speak, etc,etc,etc,..,or was it to receive a Spirit to teach how this world which robs, lies, murders, enslaves, leaves desolate, full of hostility , blight, sickness, & death came to be?
Was your motivation to open the book spiritual or earthly ?
Seeking how to be lifted up & transformed into the image of Christ, through the promise of God, Given in Genesis of one who would come and giving up life itself enduring the cross on our behalf making it possible to be filled with the bliss of God in this world of sin being made real to you .
The answer to your question is entirely conditional upon what your prevailing prayer is .
Jesus stands at the door and knocks, and it is obvious you are hearing His knock , although somewhat muffled at this point.
The question you need to ask at this point is, " Is Jesus knocking on the door of my heart that I might know how the waters first moved on the face of the earth, or is there something else that He wants me believe first and foremost" ?
Faith is venture on God that He will do the exact things that He has promised in the scriptures if you meet His revealed terms.
I will pray you on journey to become a citizen of heaven.

" Knock, and it shall be opened unto you ." ( 11:9 )

But a time is coming, and it is already here! Even now the true worshipers are being led by the Spirit to worship the Father according to the truth. These are the ones the Father is seeking to worship him.

John 4:23

It is a different thing to read the Bible to know God more spiritually and to read it in vain.

It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones. Psalm 127:2

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5

No one can see spirituality with a ordinary unless you agree with the spirit.

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope. Romans 15:4

What is your hope after reading the Bible

Back