Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Salvation through baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I would like here to make a case for baptism in Jesus' Name.

First I want to show that scripturally baptism has the power to save.

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

In verse 20, it makes it clear that the baptism being spoken of in verse 21 is water baptism.

Now, I know that a case can be made that we are saved by grace through faith; as though this excluded being saved through the grace of baptism. In this post I will not argue that a person can only be saved through baptism in Jesus' Name (except in part); but that baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save a soul;

And that therefore, if you have any doubts about your salvation, being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins may be something that you might want to try.

For it is written,

Deu 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

and,

Jer 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

It should be clear that there is a conditional promise in holy scripture, that we can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...

The condition being that we repent and are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins:

Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

I would say, also, that if baptism does indeed save, that this salvation is in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth:

Act 4:10, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11, This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now, here I will make a case for the exclusivisity in salvation of being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

For the promise of Acts 2:38 is a conditional promise.

Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And it is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Consider.

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

If you are not among the called, then you were never predestinated unto salvation; and will not be justified.

Nevertheless, in Mark 16:16, it is those who believe not who will be damned; baptism isn't mentioned (as concerning condemnation for lack of it) except as a guarantee for salvation wherein it says, "whosoever believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

This indicates to me that, whereas in John 3:16, if you believe only, you "should" not perish, that if you believe and are baptized, you have an absolute promise of salvation...the word "shall" is an absolute one...whereas the word "should" is rather iffy.

So, I will not here preach that you must be baptized in Jesus' Name or else you will not be saved (I will allow the word of God to do that preaching for me, in verses already quoted); but I will say that if you want absolute assurance of salvation, the next step is to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

Then, you shall receive remission of sins (1 John 3:9) and the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I would just like to add that the post-Constantine church has at some point lost the idea of what the ancoient Hebrews meant when the said "in the name of". This has nothing to do with a gluttural utterance ( like saying a name, like Ieesha, Fred, or even JESUS) it is about the SHEM (the concept translated "name")

So when we read that His name shall be called "wonderful" (pele' a worker of wonders) we KNOW that it is not HIS NAME, or Immanu-El (God with us) it is not speaking of what we think of when use the word "name". It is a conveyance of who that being is in essence. Their power and authority. Like when a decree was sent forth "in the name of the King" the person or persons delivering that decree have the authority to act as the King and have the power and authority to carry out that decree and punish all who rebel. In our place and time we might hear "Stop, in the name of the Law!" And should we hear that, we ought to stop, because that person or persons is/are as the Law itself and has the power and authority to carry out that Law and stop anyone who has acted rebelliously against that Law (with maximum force if necessary).

Now this idea is not only true in what is meant in scripture (because all the writers and early Apostles were Hebrew thinkers) but also with it is the idea that when one is associated with that name one is then identified with that personage and their position or essence.

So having said that one can certainly (or should be able to) be Baptized in the Shem of Jesus of Nazareth because of who He is in essence (John 1:1 and more) and through this at that time it made the hearers and witnesses comprehend that these were now identified with Him in HIS power and authority. Baptism in the shem (name) of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit is also fine and in effect equals the exact same thing The literal name of all three being YHVH).

The problem however arises because SOME who emphasize the NEED or REQUIREMENT of using this name, go on later, in total error, trying to say "Jesus" IS the Father and IS the Holy Spirit, so we must be careful. Jesus (Y'shua) is a human baby of the house of David born of a human mother in Bethleham in whom YHVH (as the Son or Word) became incarnate (in dwelt - skeenoo, to pitch tent) therefore after we hear and read in Hebrews 1 all about the Son who is he creator the King who all the angels worship and so on (hence YHVH) in Hebrews 2 we hear of Jesus being MADE a little lower than the angels.

So INHO baptism in His name is fine, and in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is fine, and even just in the name of Yah'hoveh is fine, so long as in recognition of our need for a Savior and redemption we have accepted what Jesus has done for us and that He has risen from the dead. In other words as long as we have placed true faith (we believe Him not just in Him) in the promised redemption.

The problem however arises because SOME who emphasize the NEED or REQUIREMENT of using this name, go on later, in total error, trying to say "Jesus" IS the Father and IS the Holy Spirit, so we must be careful.
I would only mention to you what it says in Colossians 2:9 (kjv).

The singular name (Matthew 28:19) is revealed as being "Jesus Christ" in Acts 2:38.

Yes; the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is "Jesus Christ" (compare Matthew 28:19 to Acts 2:38) "of Nazareth" (see Acts 4:10-12).
Matt 28:19 does not mention the “name” of Jesus”
Acts 2:38 does not say be baptized in the name of
In Acts 2:38, was Peter obedient or disobedient to Jesus' command in Matthew 28:19?
the apostles and the true church are always trinitarian in nature, and only baptized in the mode instructed by Christ in Matt 28:19
The command to be baptized was given in the name of Jesus Christ not the baptism itself
Hope this helps but I doubt it!
Only the blinding light of Christ can change a fundamentalist like Saul who thought he was doing the will of God and acting righteously!
We don’t have authority to define thee faith, it is revealed and we can only accept or reject it
Thanks

There is only one name given under heaven among men whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:10-12).

And since we know that baptism has the power to save (1 Peter 3:20-21, Ezekiel 36:25-27), we know that it is baptism in a NAME that has the power to save...even the one name that I am speaking of.

Baptism in titles will not save anyone.

There is only one name given under heaven among men whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:10-12).

And since we know that baptism has the power to save (1 Peter 3:20-21, Ezekiel 36:25-27), we know that it is baptism in a NAME that has the power to save...even the one name that I am speaking of.

Baptism in titles will not save anyone.
Jesus is not included
In the name of the father, and the son, (Jesus) and the holy spirit
What true Christian refuses to obey the savior? Matt 28:19 only

could've fooled me...
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus Christ not the name of Jesus only but also a title!

I am also Trinitarian.

You would have to go to some of my threads in the Apologetics section on the Trinity (co-existent modalism) to understand how Trinitarian my doctrine really is.
Is modelism a heresy condemned in the early church also called Sybilianism?

Jesus is not included
In the name of the father, and the son, (Jesus) and the holy spirit
What true Christian refuses to obey the savior? Matt 28:19 only
Did Peter disobey Jesus when he did what he did in Acts 2:38?

The name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost is "Jesus Christ" (Acts 2:38) "of Nazareth" (Acts 4:10-12).

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus Christ not the name of Jesus only but also a title!
In His essence, Jesus is the Christ. Therefore, "Christ" is a part of His name (who He is as a Person).

Did Peter disobey Jesus when he did what he did in Acts 2:38?

The name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost is "Jesus Christ" (Acts 2:38) "of Nazareth" (Acts 4:10-12).
No only the command to be “baptized” is given by the authority of the name of Jesus by the apostle, but you oppose the 2000 yrs tradition of the apostolic church and Christ who is truth itself Jn 14:6 Matt 28:19 is eternal

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Matt 28:19

The holy church obeys the command Of Jesus!

Ephesians 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ…

Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing so remain in Christ!

Keep his commandment!

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 Jn 2:5 But who so keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

His word: Matt 28:19

1 Jn 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

1 Jn 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

I do not preach modalism, either.

My doctrine has been labeled as "coexistent modalism" by its opponents as a kind of argument to deter people from believing in it.
Do you believe in the divinity of Christ?
And the holy trinity (one God three persons)?

A related thread...

I would like here to make a case for baptism in Jesus' Name.

First I want to show that scripturally baptism has the power to save.

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

In verse 20, it makes it clear that the baptism being spoken of in verse 21 is water baptism.

Now, I know that a case can be made that we are saved by grace through faith; as though this excluded being saved through the grace of baptism. In this post I will not argue that a person can only be saved through baptism in Jesus' Name (except in part); but that baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save a soul;

And that therefore, if you have any doubts about your salvation, being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins may be something that you might want to try.

For it is written,

Deu 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

and,

Jer 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

It should be clear that there is a conditional promise in holy scripture, that we can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...

The condition being that we repent and are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins:

Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I would say, also, that if baptism does indeed save, that this salvation is in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth:

Act 4:10, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11, This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now, here I will make a case for the exclusivisity in salvation of being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

For the promise of Acts 2:38 is a conditional promise.

And it is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Consider.

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

If you are not among the called, then you were never predestinated unto salvation; and will not be justified.

Nevertheless, in Mark 16:16, it is those who believe not who will be damned; baptism isn't mentioned (as concerning condemnation for lack of it) except as a guarantee for salvation wherein it says, "whosoever believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

This indicates to me that, whereas in John 3:16, if you believe only, you "should" not perish, that if you believe and are baptized, you have an absolute promise of salvation...the word "shall" is an absolute one...whereas the word "should" is rather iffy.

So, I will not here preach that you must be baptized in Jesus' Name or else you will not be saved (I will allow the word of God to do that preaching for me, in verses already quoted); but I will say that if you want absolute assurance of salvation, the next step is to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

Then, you shall receive remission of sins (1 John 3:9) and the gift of the Holy Ghost.
QUOTE:

RESPONSE:
You are ignoring verse 21:

"...but the answer of a good conscience toward God:"

Water baptism doesn't address the conscience. The Holy Spirit does.
Thus, giving water baptism in verse 20 is typology of the Holy Spirit baptism in verse 21.
THAT'S the baptism that saves, not the washing of the flesh, but the clean, good conscience toward God. THAT, the Holy Spirit does.
Salvation through Spirit baptism. That's the only kind that saves.

Back