Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Saved by Grace Through Faith, Not by Works

Or, maybe they aren't very familiar with what the Bible says about how to get saved.

Regarding their comments:
Rom 10
13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Or, Paul's answer to the jailer's question: "what MUST I DO to be saved?"
Acts 16:31 - They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

I know I'm saved. I have placed my trust in Jesus Christ as Savior to save me. He saves all who believe in Him for it.

Paul was answering the jailer in the manner of telling him that there was nothing he could do to be saved, he just needed to believe.

We are not saved by something we do, but by believing in who Christ is and what He did. Mankind has turned it into a salvation by works, telling people that they can 'do' something to be saved - instead of telling them to believe in Christ, and then they will be saved.

Honestly. If he had lost his salvation and became an unbeliever again...........He wouldn't even know that he had a 'former' father. He would be in darkness again. He wouldn't even know what to go 'back' to. Loss of salvation is more than just off to the Lof for you you rat. Loss of salvation would mean we lost His mind also. We wouldn't know what to go back to.

But good post Chessman. Just shows the silliness of the idea that a believer can lose their salvation.

Great post! You describe exactly what the writer of Hebrews describes. People don't lose it, they leave it.

Heb 6:4
For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

I don't understand how someone can come to put their faith in Christ without hearing what He has done for them.
Mat 4:18-22 And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” They immediately left their nets and followed Him.

Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. He called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him.

Great post! You describe exactly what the writer of Hebrews describes. People don't lose it, they leave it.

Heb 6:4
For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

If a born-again Jew went back to the Law. And started to follow his rituals again.........As long as he is in this reversionism, He will not be restored to fellowship with the Father. If we stay in reversionism, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be restored to fellowship with the Father. But as soon as we 1 John 1:9 and return to the Father we are restored.

As long as the prodigal was out acting independent from the Father.............it was IMPOSSIBLE for him to be restored to fellowship with the Father. As soon as he came to his senses(1 john 1:9) fellowship was restored.

If a born-again Jew went back to the Law. And started to follow his rituals again.........As long as he is in this reversionism, He will not be restored to fellowship with the Father. If we stay in reversionism, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be restored to fellowship with the Father. But as soon as we 1 John 1:9 and return to the Father we are restored.

As long as the prodigal was out acting independent from the Father.............it was IMPOSSIBLE for him to be restored to fellowship with the Father. As soon as he came to his senses(1 john 1:9) fellowship was restored.
Yea, I guess that is not what we have written down in the book of Hebrews.

Actually quite the opposite of what it says.

It would be very dangerous to teach someone they can lay aside the work of Christ on their behalf.

Did Esau receive his birthright after he sold it?

Why would someone think they would still get their birthright after they sold it?

Yes it is.:cool2

No it isn't.:cool2

I agree.

Where? :study

I guess the word "impossible" does not mean "impossible"?

Heb 6:4-6

:shrug

Or, maybe they aren't very familiar with what the Bible says about how to get saved.

Regarding their comments:
Rom 10
13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Or, Paul's answer to the jailer's question: "what MUST I DO to be saved?"
Acts 16:31 - They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

I know I'm saved. I have placed my trust in Jesus Christ as Savior to save me. He saves all who believe in Him for it.
Luke 18:25-27;
25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?” 27But Jesus said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”…

You see, God saves, not you.
You cannot save yourself.
You can only bring about the words that God says will give us salvation.
Then he decides if it is heartfelt.
One can also have the same heart felt experience without knowing the words.
I am living proof of that.
Nothing you can say will shake my faith.
And if you truly belong to God, you shouldn't try to shake my faith.
There is no edification to the body of Christ in that.

25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?” 27But Jesus said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”…

Yep, sometimes you have no way of explaining how you came to believe what you do - but you know that you do believe it. :)

Paul was answering the jailer in the manner of telling him that there was nothing he could do to be saved, he just needed to believe.
Right. :)

We are not saved by something we do, but by believing in who Christ is and what He did.
Not quite right. We do believe, but believing is not meritorious. It does not earn us salvation in any sense.

Mankind has turned it into a salvation by works, telling people that they can 'do' something to be saved - instead of telling them to believe in Christ, and then they will be saved.
Consider this: if they DO that (believe in Christ), they WILL BE SAVED.

:shrug
Pay notice to the last part of the verse........SINCE they are crucifying(The original language tells us over and over again) once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding Him in contempt. While they are in this state, it is impossible to restore them to repentance( 1 John 1:9.)

As long as we stay independent from the father and are in a state of sin or evil it is impossible to restore us to repentance(1 John 1:9.)

Stop acting independent from God, come to our senses, and name and site our sin to God........we will be restored to the Father.

The Prodigal son is a perfect picture of this.

Right. :)

Not quite right. We do believe, but believing is not meritorious. It does not earn us salvation in any sense.

Consider this: if they DO that (believe in Christ), they WILL BE SAVED.
Your 2nd two statements don't really explain themselves.
Can you do better?

The word "irrevocable" means "irrevocable" in Rom 11:29. Referring to God's call and God's gifts.

Paul described 3 of God's gifts previously in Romans:
1:11 spiritual gifts; irrevocable
3:24 and 5:1516,17 justification; irrevocable
6:23 eternal life; irrevocable

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. :shrug
Let's examine what is impossible: "to restore them again to repentance". The word for "repentance" means a "change of mind".

iow, those who have turned away from the ultimate sacrifice of Christ to the OT animal sacrificial system, will not be restored to repentance.

It says nothing about losing salvation. That has to be assumed into the verse. But it's not there.

Pay notice to the last part of the verse........SINCE they are crucifying(The original language tells us over and over again) once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding Him in contempt. While they are in this state, it is impossible to restore them to repentance( 1 John 1:9.)

As long as we stay independent from the father and are in a state of sin or evil it is impossible to restore us to repentance(1 John 1:9.)

Stop acting independent from God, come to our senses, and name and site our sin to God........we will be restored to the Father.

The Prodigal son is a perfect picture of this.
The perfect picture of this was Judas Iscariot.
Do you think he was saved to begin with?

Absolutely agreed!! :)

Please clarify what this means. "bring about the words"???

Where does faith fit into your box?

How does one think, reason, and decide? By thinking thoughts. And thoughts are words, whether one acknowledges it or not.

I never base theology on one's experience. I base my theology on what I read in the Bible. No offense.

Not trying to.

Again, not trying to.

What, exactly, was your "heartfelt experience without knowing the words" that led to your being saved?

The word "irrevocable" means "irrevocable" in Rom 11:29. Referring to God's call and God's gifts.

Paul described 3 of God's gifts previously in Romans:
1:11 spiritual gifts; irrevocable
3:24 and 5:1516,17 justification; irrevocable
6:23 eternal life; irrevocable

Let's examine what is impossible: "to restore them again to repentance". The word for "repentance" means a "change of mind".

iow, those who have turned away from the ultimate sacrifice of Christ to the OT animal sacrificial system, will not be restored to repentance.

It says nothing about losing salvation. That has to be assumed into the verse. But it's not there.
That's a good point.

Yep, sometimes you have no way of explaining how you came to believe what you do - but you know that you do believe it. :)
Regardless, what one believes is made up of thoughts and ideas, all of which ARE words in our minds.

Can one think without words? No.

Back