Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Saved by Grace Through Faith, Not by Works

So I'm real curious here. Is salvation just a New Testament thing?

It's a better thing.

Hebrews 7:22 (NASB) so much the more also Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.​

Why? Because the better covenant shows us just how great His Mercy, Love, Kindness and Grace are toward us:

Ephesians 2:4-10 (NASB) But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ by grace you have been saved, and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Ain't it grand that eternal life pertains to us rather than being cast into the everlasting fire?
The famous circular reasoning of the OSAS movement: Christians can never go to the lake of fire because they can never lose their salvation, therefore, OSAS is true.

Step by Step instructions.

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

• The works of the flesh are then defined.

Yes, many people have skipped right past step one and simply try walking by or in their own power to crucify the fleshly desires rather than submitting to the power of the Spirit. Problem is, those people can't do it. It takes the Spirit (God).

Galatians 5:16-17 (NASB) But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
Look at how Mary submitted to the Spirit's work in her:

Luke 1:38a (NASB) And Mary said, “Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word.”

And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. Galatians 5:24 KJV
You didn't bold "have crucified" in these translations (indicative of past tense completed action). Are you aware of any translation that uses a tense other than past tense here?

I will point out again that v.6 and 7 do not mention anything about hell or the lake of fire. Regarding v.8, it's pretty obvious to me that Jesus was using figure of speech to make a point.
It's amazing how many 'not really' doctrines OSAS has to create to defend itself. This time it's "eternal fire", and "fiery hell" do not really mean eternal fire, and fiery hell.

"8“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. 9“If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell." (Matthew 18:8-9 NASB bold mine)

I call them the 'not really' doctrines of OSAS. Last time it was "saved" does not really mean 'salvation', but rather means 'healthy spirit':

"5I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus." (1 Corinthians 5:5 NASB bold mine)

But, I must ask again, why are there no verses that specifically say that salvation/eternal life can be lost? Because it's not true.
Well of course there aren't going to be any verses about losing salvation and eternal life when one keeps making them go away by insisting they don't really mean what they say. In OSAS, 'believed' doesn't really mean believed, 'saved' doesn't really mean salvation, 'hell' doesn't really mean hell.....

The famous circular reasoning of the OSAS movement:
Yes, it's always better to keep within the circle of the answers from theText when answering Biblical questions rather than inserting your own 'answers'. Otherwise, you come up with false answers.

You seemed to be in the question answering mood yesterday (versus JLB 's continued avoiding answering relevant questions about his interpretations on Texts). So maybe you'd like to answer these two simple and straightforward questions concerning Gal 5:24.

Galatians 5:24 (NASB) Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

1. When does Paul's teaching say that the fleshly desires were crucified in those that belong to Christ Jesus?

A. Now
B. Before time began
C. At the end of their life
D. Never

I say A as does Paul. What say you?

2. True or false; Have those that belong to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and desires?

I say true.

Yes, it's always better to keep within the circle of the answers from theText when answering Biblical questions rather than inserting your own 'answers'. Otherwise, you come up with false answers.

You seemed to be in the question answering mood yesterday (versus JLB 's continued avoiding answering relevant questions about his interpretations on Texts). So maybe you'd like to answer these two simple and straightforward questions concerning Gal 5:24.
For believers the sin nature--that mind set on sin--is gone. It was crucified with Christ on the cross. But the flesh itself has to be crucified daily. Those who willfully continue to reject God's power to crucify their flesh will be guilty of trampling on the blood by which they were sanctified and will have nothing to look forward to but the coming wrath of God reserved for the enemies of God (not the children of God).

26For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. 28Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30For we know Him who said, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY.” And again, “THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.” 31It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:26-31 NASB capitals and italics in original)

Let's see how many words will be said to not really mean what they say in the passage above to make it a OSAS passage. Let's keep count.

It's a better thing.

Hebrews 7:22 (NASB) so much the more also Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.​

Why? Because the better covenant shows us just how great His Mercy, Love, Kindness and Grace are toward us:

Ephesians 2:4-10 (NASB) But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ by grace you have been saved, and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
So your saying salvation in the new testament is different than the old testament?

For believers the sin nature--that mind set on sin--is gone. It was crucified with Christ on the cross.

I agree with the above⬆️ statements. Never said otherwise.

So are your answers:
1. A
2. True
to the following two questions about Gal 5:24?

1. When does Paul's teaching say that the fleshly desires were crucified in those that belong to Christ Jesus?

A. Now
B. Before time began
D. Never

2. True or false; Have those that belong to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and desires?

Yes, many people have skipped right past step one and simply try walking by or in their own power to crucify the fleshly desires rather than submitting to the power of the Spirit. Problem is, those people can't do it. It takes the Spirit (God).

Galatians 5:16-17 (NASB) But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

The decision must be made by every believer, to live there lives by the desires of the Spirit, or live there lives by the desires of the flesh.

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Galatians 5:16-18

It's not automatic. A conscience effort must be made on the part of the believer to obey the Spirit within, or obey the unrighteous desires of the flesh.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

• just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Just as Paul in his letters to the Churches, has warned over and over, those who present their bodies to obey unrighteousness.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
Romans 6:12-14

Paul is telling them not to obey the lust's of the flesh.

• do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
Paul is telling them to present their members as instruments of righteousness to God.
  • but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:20-23

Those who live their lives in dominion over sin, and express the righteousness of the Spirit, will produce fruit unto holiness and in the end receive everlasting life.

Those who live a life of sin, will receive the wages of sin, which is death. Eternal Death.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control...
The fruit of the Spirit is flesh that is brought under dominion: Flesh that is crucified.

Believers that are in Christ Jesus, who walk after the Spirit, are free from condemnation.

Believers that walk according to the flesh, are not.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1

JLB

So I'm real curious here. Is salvation just a New Testament thing?

How come no Old Testament passages on it in here? Did the prophets not talk about it?
Quite the contrary:
This is what is found in the NT:
Luke 24:27, 44 - 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. 44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

Luke 16:29,30,31 - 29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ 30 “ ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ”

John 1:45 - Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

John 5 - 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

John 6:45 - It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

John 12:34 - The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?”

John 20:9- (They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.)

Now from just the Book of Acts:
Acts 9:22 - Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Messiah. [obviously from the OT]

Acts 10:43 - All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

Acts 13:27, 29 - 27 -The people of Jerusalem and their rulers did not recognize Jesus, yet in condemning him they fulfilled the words of the prophets that are read every Sabbath. 29 - When they had carried out all that was written about him, they took him down from the cross and laid him in a tomb.

Acts 13:39 - Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

Acts 15:5,10 - 5 Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.” 10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? [this shows that the Law of Moses didn’t save]

Acts 17:2,3,11 - 2 As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead. “This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Messiah,” he said. 11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Acts 18:28 - For he vigorously refuted his Jewish opponents in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.

Acts 24:14,24 - 14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus.

Acts 26:6,7,22,23 - 6 And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our ancestors that I am on trial today. 7 This is the promise our twelve tribes are hoping to see fulfilled as they earnestly serve God day and night. King Agrippa, it is because of this hope that these Jews are accusing me. 22 But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen— 23 that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would bring the message of light to his own people and to the Gentiles.”

Acts 28:23 - They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.

How about Romans:
Rom 1:2 - the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures

Rom 3:20-22 - 20 Therefore, no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. 21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Rom 3:27,28 27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

So, salvation in the OT is THE SAME as salvation in the NT.

A. Now
B. Before time began
D. Never

False.

Now, the way you are trying to use it, is not in the verse.

And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:24

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. Galatians 5:24 KJV

But, Moreover, in addition to, : Strongs 1161 de

Nothing can distract from the warning that Paul gives the Church.

Step by Step instructions.

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

• The works of the flesh are then defined.
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like;
  • The warning and result of walking in the flesh.
...of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Not inheriting the kingdom of God is the end result of a life of sin: practicing the works of the flesh.

• The fruit of the Spirit, is then defined.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

The result of walking in the Spirit, practicing the desires of the Spirit,which is crucifying the flesh, manifesting fruit unto holiness, in which the end result, in contrast to practicing the works of the flesh, is being Christ's forever.

• And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

• Same thing Paul warned the Romans:

19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:19-23

having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

• The end result of a life lived according to the Spirit, is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
  • And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

JLB

Eternal Life pertains to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
Yes, Paul wrote that to show that one would have to "continue in doing good" in order to earn eternal life. And he then wrote Rom 3:20, which shows that NO ONE has or can "by patient continuance in doing good" earn eternal life: Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

So, the question: how many is included in the phrae "no one"?

True.

Those who belong to Christ are the ones who have crucified the flesh, and walk after the desires of the Spirit.

JLB

The famous circular reasoning of the OSAS movement: Christians can never go to the lake of fire because they can never lose their salvation, therefore, OSAS is true.
No, no. It's true because the Bible has promised it.

Jesus said those who believe HAVE (as in present tense) eternal life in John 5:24. Then, in John 10:28, He promised that those He gives eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH. (hint: that's a very long time).

Then Paul described eternal life as a gift of God in Rom 6:23, and then stated that God's gifts are irrevocable.

Peter explains why those who have believed WILL NEVER PERISH, as Jesus promised: because we have been born again of IMPERISHABLE SEED.

I said this:
"I will point out again that v.6 and 7 do not mention anything about hell or the lake of fire. Regarding v.8, it's pretty obvious to me that Jesus was using figure of speech to make a point."
It's amazing how many 'not really' doctrines OSAS has to create to defend itself. This time it's "eternal fire", and "fiery hell" do not really mean eternal fire, and fiery hell.
"8“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. 9“If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell." (Matthew 18:8-9 NASB bold mine)

Where did I or anyone else claim that "eternal fire" doesn't refer to the lake of fire? I sure didn't. So your claim is false.

Well of course there aren't going to be any verses about losing salvation and eternal life when one keeps making them go away by insisting they don't really mean what they say.
Missing the real point again. There aren't any verses that SAY in plain words that salvation or eternal life can be lost. All of the verses provided MUST BE assumed to refer to that. So the Arminian doctrine is an ASSUMED DOCTRINE. Not clearly or plainly stated in Scripture.

But the opposite is true for eternal security. It's very clearly and plainly stated in Scripture:
Jesus said those who believe HAVE (as in present tense) eternal life in John 5:24. Then, in John 10:28, He promised that those He gives eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH. (hint: that's a very long time).

Then Paul described eternal life as a gift of God in Rom 6:23, and then stated that God's gifts are irrevocable.

Peter explains why those who have believed WILL NEVER PERISH, as Jesus promised: because we have been born again of IMPERISHABLE SEED.

In OSAS, 'believed' doesn't really mean believed, 'saved' doesn't really mean salvation, 'hell' doesn't really mean hell.....
Untrue.

Correct. No BELIEVER will lose his salvation.
Only those who abandon the faith and stop believing will perish in the lake of fire.
I'm still waiting for any verse that teaches that any believer who ceases to believe will lose their salvation.

The perfect time to teach such an idea would have been in the parable of the soils regarding soil #2. Yet, Jesus said nothing about losing salvation. His only point was that such a person doesn't produce fruit.

Yes, Paul wrote that to show that one would have to "continue in doing good" in order to earn eternal life. And he then wrote Rom 3:20, which shows that NO ONE has or can "by patient continuance in doing good" earn eternal life: Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

So, the question: how many is included in the phrae "no one"?

Paul taught us those who will receive eternal life, and those who don't.

The Key Phrase: God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:
eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
Romans 2:6-8

• but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:8
Those who live their lives "obeying unrighteousness", will receive the wrath of God.

• Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:16

Those who live their lives, obeying sin, will receive the wages of sin, which is death. Eternal Death.

• For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

God sent His Son to pay the price for our sins, and cleansed us from our past sins, and is willing to forgive our sins, now, if we confess them. He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness, by His grace and the power of His Spirit, that we would reign in dominion over sin in our flesh.

Receiving these things, and then returning to a life of sin, and dying in that condition, will result in not inheriting the kingdom of God, on the Day of Judgement, when God will render to each one according to his deeds.

JLB

Quite the contrary:
This is what is found in the NT:
Luke 24:27, 44 - 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. 44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

Luke 16:29,30,31 - 29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ 30 “ ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ”

John 1:45 - Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

John 5 - 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

John 6:45 - It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

John 12:34 - The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?”

John 20:9- (They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.)

Now from just the Book of Acts:
Acts 9:22 - Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Messiah. [obviously from the OT]

Acts 10:43 - All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

Acts 13:27, 29 - 27 -The people of Jerusalem and their rulers did not recognize Jesus, yet in condemning him they fulfilled the words of the prophets that are read every Sabbath. 29 - When they had carried out all that was written about him, they took him down from the cross and laid him in a tomb.

Acts 13:39 - Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

Acts 15:5,10 - 5 Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.” 10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? [this shows that the Law of Moses didn’t save]

Acts 17:2,3,11 - 2 As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead. “This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Messiah,” he said. 11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Acts 18:28 - For he vigorously refuted his Jewish opponents in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.

Acts 24:14,24 - 14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus.

Acts 26:6,7,22,23 - 6 And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our ancestors that I am on trial today. 7 This is the promise our twelve tribes are hoping to see fulfilled as they earnestly serve God day and night. King Agrippa, it is because of this hope that these Jews are accusing me. 22 But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen— 23 that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would bring the message of light to his own people and to the Gentiles.”

Acts 28:23 - They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.

How about Romans:
Rom 1:2 - the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures

Rom 3:20-22 - 20 Therefore, no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. 21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Rom 3:27,28 27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

So, salvation in the OT is THE SAME as salvation in the NT.

So, those are all NT passages, any from the OT?

Back