Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Should Christians Keep the Ten Commandments Today???

glorydaz said:
We are no longer under the law. We are under grace.
It's always been about grace. No one has ever been saved by keeping the law.

Does that mean we don't obey what Jesus said? No.
He is our example.

We are led by the Spirit and have Jesus' words written on our hearts.
Exactly! A much higher standard.

We do have liberty now. There are not a set of rules we must follow.
Hmmmm, let's discuss this notion then.

Is liberty the freedom to do what you want whenever you want? It is unfortunate that we look at God's law as restrictive when it in all reality it brings liberty. Look at God's law as a bird cage if you will. Inside the cage the bird is protected from the menacing cat (lion) roaming about seeking to whom he may destroy. Outside of the cage and all bets are off.

We follow the leading of the Spirit. It's a higher calling than the law could ever be.
Question then. What standard does the Spirit use? The Bible states it clearly that without the Spirit one cannot obey the law of God. Romans 8:7.

glorydaz said:
RND said:
glorydaz said:
....all of the law is included in the two Great Commandments. Love God and love your neighbor.
These are actually Torah directives. Leviticus 19:19 and Deuteronomy 6:4-5 (known as the Shema prayer). :)

I'll go for this one....
Deuteronomy 6:4-5 said:
- Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

But this one doesn't quite cut it. :biglaugh
[quote="Leviticus 19:19":3t1kkd2g] - 19Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.
Jesus gave us a new and better covenant.
Of course He used the old to make the new...He is the same God.[/quote:3t1kkd2g] Typo, sorry:

Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.

But if someone follows the old, they will break the new.
Not necessarily.

Now, if you even think about a sin, its' a sin. The laws are written in our hearts.
That goes to show the higher standard not the abolition of the law.

glorydaz said:
Of course He used the old to make the new...He is the same God.
Question: What makes you sure that this promise was given to you? Paul was quoting from Jeremiah 31.

There will be NO one in the 144000's group who are not 7th Day Sabbath keepers! Phil. 4:13 + Rev. 12:17! From day one until Christ returns, He documents who it is through earths history that is not ignorant to the fact, that Love Him!

And there were no Jews at creation week! Unless one uses Rom. 2:28-29 which I do agree with.The Tower of Babel is when the nations came into view, or on the scene. So, there was only one language & nationality, that of the Godheads creation. And Mark 2:27-28 tells me that the Lord's Blessed Sabbath Day was made for mankind. All mankind!

David through the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit tells me that it was the birthday of creation week. (memorial) Psalm 135:13. Unless the Lords name is nullified for a N.T. Gentile also? But NO, it was six days of work & every seventh day was earth's birthday or memorial from work, and Worship to God! Paul has it stated clearly in Rom. 2 again, see verse 13 for who.. 'ARE JUST BEFORE GOD'. And Rom. 3:31.

I find it extremely hard to understand how any one Born Again that Loves Christ would hunt for any excuse to nullify HIS words of.. 'IF YE LOVE ME, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS'?????? What I mean by that, is years ago, before I surrendered my life to the Master.. I smoked, +. Yet, there was no need for anyone to tell me that, that, ALL needed the boot! I was as certain of that as I am of keeping His 7th Day Sabbath by His power & Grace. Phil. 4:13 & 2 Cor. 12:9. How come?? He said 'IF' ye Love Me keep.. .'

And friend, I surely do Love the one who died for my salvation!
SO: When one reads Rom. 8:14 of the Born Again one being 'LED', how can anyone be Born Again & not KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS??????? So the question is obvious. Daniel 7:25

And one last thought. What do you suppose Abram was doing long before he was called of God and Israel came on the scene??? Unless one thinks that souls can be won to God quickly?
Gen. 12:5 find's these Gentile converts gotten in Haran. What does one think that they were taught, if not the Eternal Gospel & the Eternal Covenant of Rev. 14:6 & Heb. 13:20??

And as this Eternal Gospel teaches us, Abraham OBEYED MY VOICE! Long before the Eternal Covenant was written out, God Spoke directly to his True followers! Adam & Eve, and their son Cain even by a VOICE. Gen. 4:7 And the preaching of Noah as Peter called him the preacher of Righteousness, what do you think that he preached for the 120 year period.. with the STRIVING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT as his aid? Gen. 6:3 (If not the ETERNAL GOSPEL of Rev. 14:6?????)

And again: Why Abram is said to be CALLED OF THE GODHEAD is told in Gen. 26:5. Read it S-L-O-W-L-Y, for it is after the fact.. in other Words, it was before he was to become Abraham! And it tell's the UNIVERSE.. that Abram did indeed have verbal COMMANDMENTS from the Godhead in a VOICE, and that Abram was CALLED of GOD BECAUSE HE OBEYED MY CHARGE, *MY COMMANDMENTS, MY STATUTES, AND MY LAWS.' AND ONE WONDERS WHERE THE word 'remember' STARTED FROM AT THE 4tH COMMANDMENT, HUH! at least the non/Born Again ones!

And not only that, but he paid his tithes to the directed Priest of God! Gen. 14:18-20

--Elijah

Francis -
You are correct in that the New Covenant will replace the old but you fail to mention one thing: The Law never changes with the Covenants. There was never a problem with the law. "The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul" (Psalm 19:7). The problem was with the people who agreed to keep the covenant. So the New Covenant involves the LAW written on our hearts and on our minds, not the abrogation or changing of the law.

RND said:
glorydaz said:
Of course He used the old to make the new...He is the same God.
Question: What makes you sure that this promise was given to you? Paul was quoting from Jeremiah 31.

Because Jeremiah 31 was a prophecy of the coming of the messiah.
It's speaking of when Jesus came to bring in the new covenant.

Just this one verse tells us that...although it's not the only one. This happened when Herod killed all the children under two hoping to kill Jesus.
Jer. 31:15 said:
Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.
Matt. 2:16-18 said:
Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,

18In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.

glorydaz said:
Yes, but what makes you think the promises were made concerning you?

Jer 31:31 ¶ Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

Jer 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Are you of the house of Israel or Judah? If so, how did you become an Israelite?

Just this one verse tells us that...although it's not the only one. This happened when Herod killed all the children under two hoping to kill Jesus.
Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.
Matt. 2:16-18 said:
Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,

18In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.
That's all true but how is this relevant to the new covenant?

glorydaz, have you considered what was necessary for a stranger to the house of Israel or Judah to do in order to become a member of the nation of Israel?

Brother Lionel said:
Francis -
You are correct in that the New Covenant will replace the old but you fail to mention one thing: The Law never changes with the Covenants. There was never a problem with the law. "The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul" (Psalm 19:7). The problem was with the people who agreed to keep the covenant. So the New Covenant involves the LAW written on our hearts and on our minds, not the abrogation or changing of the law.

Elijah here: That is what God said! Heb. 10
[15] Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
[16] This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; John 3:3

But that is only the Born Again ones. Acts 5:32

Elijah674 said:
Brother Lionel said:
Francis -

[15] Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
[16] This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; John 3:3

:thumb Excellent point.

RND said:
Elijah674 said:
Brother Lionel said:
Francis -

:thumb Excellent point.

God gave 9 more 'Commanded' points in stone also. That of teaching that God lied & satan told Eve the truth rates right up there in the Rev. 17:5 ones of NO LAW garbage! As if sinners of Obad. 1:16 got some kind of immortality! :screwloose

--Elijah

RND said:
glorydaz said:
Yes, but what makes you think the promises were made concerning you?

Jer 31:31 ¶ Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

Jer 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Are you of the house of Israel or Judah? If so, how did you become an Israelite?

[quote="Matt. 2:16-18":2neg8bwr]Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,

That's all true but how is this relevant to the new covenant?[/quote:2neg8bwr]

Because Jesus sits on the throne of David and the church is the Israel of God.

6:14-16 said:
But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. 15For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. 16And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. 17From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

RND said:
glorydaz, have you considered what was necessary for a stranger to the house of Israel or Judah to do in order to become a member of the nation of Israel?

Circumcision (of the heart)
Passover (covered by the blood)

1 Peter 1:13-16 said:
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

glorydaz said:
Because Jesus sits on the throne of David and the church is the Israel of God.
All true. But since Jesus sits on a throne then Jesus is a King. And as a King He oversees a Kingdom. And as an overseer of a Kingdom He is a Ruler. And Rulers have rules.

glorydaz said:
RND said:

Circumcision (of the heart)
Passover (covered by the blood)

1 Peter 1:13-16 said:
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
Exactly. So in order for one to be part of the New Covenant and have the laws of God written upon their hearts one must have their heart circumcised and accept the Passover lamb. It's a carbon copy of Exodus 12. This process makes us justified and allows us access into the sanctuary. No circumcision, no Passover lamb means one cannot enter into the sanctuary. As part of the sanctification process, going into the sanctuary and offering spiritual sacrifices, before our glorification we must become better at understanding the laws written on our hearts.

glorydaz, once a stranger became a member of the House of Israel or Judah weren't they bound to the covenant established by God? In other words, weren't they required to respect His covenant and obey His laws?

We see the reason God called Abram in the first place was because he OBEYED HIS VOICE & Kept His Commandments! Long before he was called Abramham! Gen. 26:2-*5. (unless you think that souls are won to Christ quickly, huh?) He was also a Gentile soul winner in Gen. 12. And tithes?? He gave tithes to God's called priest.

Whatever??? Just do your thing & 'i' will do as God COMMANDED ME! Phil. 4:13 + 2 Cor. 12:9

--Elijah

RND said:
glorydaz, once a stranger became a member of the House of Israel or Judah weren't they bound to the covenant established by God? In other words, weren't they required to respect His covenant and obey His laws?

Before Christ...yes.

Then our Lord brought a new and better covenant where the laws are written in our hearts, and we can come personally before the throne of God...no longer separated from Him by a veil.

Back